Fender Champion 600 + bass guitar

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Fender Champion 600 + bass guitar

Post by arnoux » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 am

Hey rockers :bananaguitar:

I have this little Champion 600, 5 watt amp, cone is 6" - do you think is it possible to use it with a bass guitar or AM I going to blow the cone or something in a second? I have a Fender Bassman 100 too but it's a bit oversized for apartment practice.

Thanks in advance!

Fabio

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Re: Fender Champion 600 + bass guitar

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:24 pm

I use mine for bass all the time.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm no expert but I wouldn't risk it. It doesn't sound like that little speaker is designed for bass at all. I guess you could try it at very low volumes but you probably won't get much of a bass tone from it.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm

fac wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 pm
I'm no expert but I wouldn't risk it. It doesn't sound like that little speaker is designed for bass at all. I guess you could try it at very low volumes but you probably won't get much of a bass tone from it.
I'm telling you that have been doing this with this exact amp for long time and it's completely fine.
It's not going to get very loud, but that's okay since OP is just looking to play around their apartment. It sounds fine at lower volumes and distorts really nice and fuzzy as you turn the volume up.
Don't be afraid and just do it.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Many thanks, actually sounds so sweet :love:
Volume half way is loud enough for sofa practice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm telling you that have been doing this with this exact amp for long time and it's completely fine.
It's not going to get very loud, but that's okay since OP is just looking to play around their apartment. It sounds fine at lower volumes and distorts really nice and fuzzy as you turn the volume up.
Don't be afraid and just do it.
Dude, what the hell your problem? There was only the original post when I started typing my response, but I got distracted and submitted it after you submitted yours, so I never saw your response. And still, your response does not invalidate mine. I repeat what I said: "*I* would not risk it. The speaker is not designed for bass, so better try it at low volumes and don't expect a huge bass tone from it".

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:07 pm

fac thanks for your contribution too, I'll keep it low till I can afford the little Ampeg I'd like to buy (PT50), I'd love some deep low end

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Yep you'll be fine—just don't turn up too loud (you'll start to hear speaker distortion if you do). Many classic recordings like most of the things Carol Kaye is on (Beach Boys, etc) are recorded through Fender guitar amps—twin reverbs or deluxe reverbs, I can't remember which. Bass amps really didn't exist for quite a while and even once they did, they weren't all that prolific in the early years. I've practiced and recorded bass through a guitar amp for most of my adult life.

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 pm

When you do get a bass amp, pay attention to the cabinet. You want a closed-back cabinet for deep, tight low end. Most bass specific cabs are closed-back, but not all. And just passing on the general advice to pay attention to the cab you get. The old portaflex tone for instance has a lot to do with the cabinet. I actually think the Aguilar SL112/SL115s sound really nice and vintage, despite being very modern designs. Ampeg of course also makes reissue portaflex cabinets which may be good. I haven't used either of these cabs in person FYI, but have been considering picking up one of the Aguilar cabs and running my bass into my Dr Z guitar amp into the Aguilar cab.

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:46 am

plainofjars wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 pm
When you do get a bass amp, pay attention to the cabinet. You want a closed-back cabinet for deep, tight low end. Most bass specific cabs are closed-back, but not all. And just passing on the general advice to pay attention to the cab you get. The old portaflex tone for instance has a lot to do with the cabinet. I actually think the Aguilar SL112/SL115s sound really nice and vintage, despite being very modern designs. Ampeg of course also makes reissue portaflex cabinets which may be good. I haven't used either of these cabs in person FYI, but have been considering picking up one of the Aguilar cabs and running my bass into my Dr Z guitar amp into the Aguilar cab.
I missed somehow your contribution, thanks a lot. Will check those Aguilar as well, have to find a good balance between tone and weight, I have no more the strength to bring around my good old Bassman.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:01 pm

A general rule of thumb for bass players to protect cab speakers: as soon as you hear it fart, turn it down.

It's fairly obvious when a speaker starts to flubber and is beyond what it can handle (if you're playing without fuzz).

The bass tone knob on your instrument/pedals/amp can also be backed off rather than volume, as it's the low frequencies that really push speakers. Conversely, when adjusting or boosting bass tone knobs be extra careful when playing through guitar amps, and listen out for farting.

Follow that and you'll be fine

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”