Tenori-On

Yamaha shut down all support - let this instrument live on here!

Moderators: Kent, ritchiedrums, Paranormal Patroler

rafe127
classy undercarriage

Post by rafe127 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 am

hbc wrote:I just broke down and ordered a Tenori-on. Can't wait.
Oh yeah? Well my Tenori-On just broke down...

:doh:

(after about 2.5 years of faithful service)

Anyone have any experience fixing one or getting one fixed?

I called Yamaha customer service and they authorized repair centers they recommended look kind of awful.

I am located in Brooklyn, NY

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:13 am

Can the tenori transmit any midi other than note on and off (cv & gate). I'm using a Kenton Pro-Solo which apart from CV & gate has an aux out

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks for that but how do you assign "expression" to the matrix? I've searched the manual but I can't find an explanation

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:06 am

Liddlepud wrote:Thanks for that but how do you assign "expression" to the matrix? I've searched the manual but I can't find an explanation
I'm not sure to be honest, because the way I do it sidesteps the hardware completely. I route my Tenori-On permanently via Logic so I can use various Environment setting to transform the midi data before it arrives at the destination.

Makes it a lot more flexible because its then very easy to merge different T-O layers to the single channel that my midi/CV interface needs, transform note number to a CC and, best of all, add some variety to velocity.

So I don't do much menu diving on the T-O itself. I'll have a look later on and see if I can work out how to do it without Logic.

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:30 am

Thanks for the offer but don't worry - I use Cubase and it has a midi transformer. It looks like I'll just have to read through the cubase manual and set it up.

Mr. Pete
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Pete » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am

EXCELLENT~ thanks for this ~ I have never seen this in Yamaha's forum, newsletter or documentation so very eager to try it out! :hyper:
darenager wrote: I also discovered that you can reassign the layers to whatever mode you want, which does make it more useful, you have to hold down L1 and L5 whilst powering up to unlock this mode, once done it stays set after power down. Why Yamaha chose not to make this the default is beyond me.
You can call me, "PETE"
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
@petedako on Twitter/FB/Instagram

Mr. Pete
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Pete » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 am

OK, following up, here ~ when I do this I see <advance> indicated in Parentheses on the start-up screen - how do we proceed from there? It just seems to go back to business as usual after that... :hmm:
darenager wrote: I also discovered that you can reassign the layers to whatever mode you want, which does make it more useful, you have to hold down L1 and L5 whilst powering up to unlock this mode, once done it stays set after power down. Why Yamaha chose not to make this the default is beyond me.
You can call me, "PETE"

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:19 am

In the LAYER menu you'll find the MODE function down on the list, you can choose any mode from there for the specific layer. Don't forget to save your settings otherwise you'll have to re enable the Advanced mode each time. Have fun!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Mr. Pete
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Pete » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:In the LAYER menu you'll find the MODE function down on the list, you can choose any mode from there for the specific layer. Don't forget to save your settings otherwise you'll have to re enable the Advanced mode each time. Have fun!
Excellent! ~ thanks kindly Paranormale! :hyper:

@darenager~Why this is not default - because it would complicate the "sharing" aspect in the larger community of T-O users 8_)
You can call me, "PETE"

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 pm

No, the reason behind this is because Toshio had arranged for a number of hidden features as to extend the surprise factor of the instrument.

in STEREO

Post by 10011001 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 pm

so.....there are more?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:43 am

There are more button combinations that do other stuff, like supposedly uploading new banks. Focus on the supposedly. You can try them out yourself but I won't take responsibility for that (although nothing really happens apart from the screen showing what they're made for). I assume they were implemented when Yamaha was still hopeful that this product would take off, which makes it even more sad to see how they never cared about it after the last firmware release. Lots of lost potential.

pantalones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pantalones » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:There are more button combinations that do other stuff, like supposedly uploading new banks. Focus on the supposedly. You can try them out yourself but I won't take responsibility for that (although nothing really happens apart from the screen showing what they're made for). I assume they were implemented when Yamaha was still hopeful that this product would take off, which makes it even more sad to see how they never cared about it after the last firmware release. Lots of lost potential.
Can you offer any suggestions on how one might find these? I keep trying to find a reason why I'd keep it and one strong one would be putting my own banks in there.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 am

No, sorry, apart from the three User sets it doesn't support any more samples. Replacing all soundbanks was never implemented.

mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mrbloor » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 pm

mine is for sale if anyone wants it, love this thing but need to raise some cash :tu:

pantalones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pantalones » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi all,

My tenori-on (TRN-W/Silver) will no longer turn on, both via power and batteries. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Return to “Tenori-On”