Mutable Instruments Blades

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

KittenVillage
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by KittenVillage » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Plaits into Blades is the new Rings into Clouds.

Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 pm

KittenVillage wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:06 pm
Plaits into Blades is the new Rings into Clouds.
Plaits into Blades into 2x Rings' resonators into Clouds. :omg:

everythingcontinues
Common Wiggler

Post by everythingcontinues » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:18 pm

I LOVE dual / stereo filters. And I love Mutable Instruments. Very glad to see this.

I'll be holding off, as I already have an SSF Stereo Dipole and an AJH Gemini 2412 (both of which I very much enjoy), but I'm glad to see more dual / stereo filters on the market and will certainly be keeping this on the radar.

blaythe.steuer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blaythe.steuer » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 pm

cool filter.

divkid is really really good at what he does

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 pm

maudibe wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:45 am
:goo: :hihi: Darn .... just when I had the rack finished. :hihi: :goo:
So what you're saying is, it's a Wednesday?

:goo: :goo: :goo:

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:56 am

Seems nice enough but basically the only thing neat to me is the ability to continuously sweep between serial/parallel instead of it being a toggle. Continuous CV/morph between filter modes modes is rare but not unique (MMG, BL mk3, Koma SVF etc), however a sweep between a drive and a folder is quirky. If this could have swept continuously between 2/4 pole on each side, then I'd have thought it way way more interesting, such as for making an 8-pole serial etc.

As I have the BL (and several types of folding/distortion) I'm not feeling the GAS for Blades. Morgasmatron also has a ton more sonic character to it as well, but does trade out CV-able state variable nature - something I wish was in a lot more filters. Since they've been brought up I don't think it's a good match to compare this to Dipole or QPAS directly as these are quad filters; the gooey stereo twin-peaky-ness is something Blades (or BL or Morgasmatron) just won't do.

If you had strictly up to 20hp and were intending to get exactly one of these fancier types of filters I'd suggest doing your homework and not assuming Blades covers it all. The line of thinking of "well I have a folder now because it's in Blades" - I mean sort of, but dedicated folders don't turn into a drive when toning down so you won't get subtler types of effects. I'd say perhaps Bifold is the best folder overall for size+function, but also Doepfer A-137-1 and various triple-folders are contenders still.

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 am

blaythe.steuer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 pm
cool filter.

divkid is really really good at what he does
He reached the 100% when he revealed he plays the telecaster.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:27 am

nios wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:56 am
If this could have swept continuously between 2/4 pole on each side, then I'd have thought it way way more interesting, such as for making an 8-pole serial etc.
I've done that with multiple filters, believe me it's really not that interesting :), frankly neither are really steep filters either.
I'm not sure there's another filter that covers all the CV'able features this has, sound of course is personal.
nios wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:56 am
... but dedicated folders don't turn into a drive when toning down so you won't get subtler types of effects.
I'm sure it doesn't work like this. The distortion/wavefolding mix is independent of the drive level.
See here:
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm
Dual mono isn’t stereo. The signals are compatible but the way the device operates is different between dual mono devices and stereo devices. Dual mono gives you two completely seperate sets of controls that need to be matched by hand to get the same results, for example it’s very hard to dynamically manipulate the two sets of controls on a dual mono device to keep the stereo image if you’re running a stereo signal through.

Stereo devices let you treat a stereo signal as a single entity, and more advanced ones let you manipulate the stereo image within them. The key to understanding the difference between stereo and dual mono is understanding a stereo signal is one signal travelling down two cables. :tu:
This is actually a very interesting point. Linked controls do make stereo a different beast than "dual mono". Genuinely not trying to "gotcha!" here, as I only just watched the DivKid demo video, but it would appear that the "Shift" button on Blades actually does link the filter cutoff into stereo operation with offset control, which is pretty cool. So I guess Blades is kinda stereo when it wants to be? :hmm:

gran_syth
Common Wiggler

Post by gran_syth » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:29 am

I really like the features of this new module, I am just not taken by the actual sound. After having been so excited about it when I started to watch the video, I ended up just feeling a bit underwhelmed by the overall character of the filters.
Obviously there is the unanswered question to myself of what I actually expected maybe also whether the choice of source material in the video just felt a little bit too 'poppy' for me.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:09 am

In watching the demo, it seems to me the control scheme is great.
The filters themselves are just OK. (at least when one filter is used singly)
Must be lots of crossfaders in it.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever
.......Not a very good musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:18 am

Zymos wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 am
Cornerman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 am
Nice a new MI module, good to see the brand back in full swing :)
Not exactly “back in full swing”, since we are coming up to the end of new MI modules...
Didn't know that. Well still a few too come which is good.

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am

just clouds2 I think
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

studioutopia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studioutopia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:23 am
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm
Dual mono isn’t stereo. The signals are compatible but the way the device operates is different between dual mono devices and stereo devices. Dual mono gives you two completely seperate sets of controls that need to be matched by hand to get the same results, for example it’s very hard to dynamically manipulate the two sets of controls on a dual mono device to keep the stereo image if you’re running a stereo signal through.

Stereo devices let you treat a stereo signal as a single entity, and more advanced ones let you manipulate the stereo image within them. The key to understanding the difference between stereo and dual mono is understanding a stereo signal is one signal travelling down two cables. :tu:
This is actually a very interesting point. Linked controls do make stereo a different beast than "dual mono". Genuinely not trying to "gotcha!" here, as I only just watched the DivKid demo video, but it would appear that the "Shift" button on Blades actually does link the filter cutoff into stereo operation with offset control, which is pretty cool. So I guess Blades is kinda stereo when it wants to be? :hmm:
Just to throw in some philosophy on the "stereo" debate. "Stereo" is the binaural image perceived by the listener - but it has to be created.
Your comment about Stereo devices treating the two signals as one - IMHO, only applies to devices that post-process a stereo signal. You still need to create a stereo signal. In order for a stereo image to be created, you need to move sources around the soundstage with panning or create variation from left to right.
For the filters I have: QPAS does it with convenient macro-controls to spread the filter peaks differently left and right. Bionic Lester MkIII does it by allowing you to dial in an amount of variation on the second filter relative to the first. Korgasmatron II has a normalization between the V/Oct and FM2 of each channel, so you can manipulate the cutoff of both sides as one with CV, but it is the intricate variation between the two channels that create a stereo image.
The Qu-Bit Prism is a "Stereo Filter". However, the only variation it can create is in the echo effect, it cannot create a stereo image with its filter, it can only process a stereo image. This is the opposite of the problem you state about manipulating two sets of controls - if the controls are locked, then all the device is doing is processing stereo, not creating stereo. Great for a reverb, or filters for equalization/adjustments - but not for creating panoramic/wide soundscapes.
Blades is not a stereo filter, but it will be awesome for creating a stereo image - this feature, in particular, is key:
"Filter 2’s cutoff can be set relatively to filter 1’s cutoff."

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am

I think I have just seen my Xmas present to myself. That's if Monday's car service doesn't uncover any nasties . . .
Random is the new maRnod

Glydez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Glydez » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 am

Hyberus wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am
I think I have just seen my Xmas present to myself. That's if Monday's car service doesn't uncover any nasties . . .
Same boat.

I'll be hoping for you... Mines Tuesday! :hail:

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:35 am

Glydez wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:18 am
Hyberus wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am
Same boat.

I'll be hoping for you... Mines Tuesday! :hail:
Good luck!
Random is the new maRnod

eatmykids
Common Wiggler

Post by eatmykids » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:39 am

MERRY XMAS x
WIN_20201210_15_35_58_Pro.jpg

also parcel force suck they dropped it off at a post office a mile away and didn't try to deliver it

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 am

Wow, that was fast :D

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 am

eatmykids wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:39 am
also parcel force suck they dropped it off at a post office a mile away and didn't try to deliver it
Yeah, but how quickly it arrived! Mine should get here Saturday and I thought that was pretty fast, considering.

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 am

Saturday delivery here as well. Showing up today was fast!

Adding the Blades also gives me the exact HP to fill a single case with Mutable stuff. Wouldn't be the most useable single case but would be fun to look out sooo maybe.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:50 am

THis sounds SUPER fun. I feel like it's more versatile than QPAS although is very different. QPAS i would also love for that double notch sound. I guess this can double notch, but not be moveable in quite the same way. Although linking and then moving the offset in the opposite way should have a similar effect i guess?

I wish the drive was moveable to after the filter, but that's being picky. It sounds great. very tame and vanilla if thats all you need in one patch, but capable of so much. I want. But then i actually need a quad filter more at the moment to go with my shifty, , and that was going to be a QU BIT tone... HMMMMMM
FOR SALE: M.N DPO. X0X HEART, CHORD V2, SENSIBLE OFFERS! UK

https://michaeldow.bandcamp.com/album/m ... light-side
https://soundcloud.com/obleomusic

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:00 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:02 pm
marbles sort of felt to me like canned random.
secret to marbles is self-patching. limitless and very complex possibilities when you start self patching it.

cat_abyss
Common Wiggler

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Maybe it's too early for this question, but i'm curious as to what happens to the signal when the dial is set halfway between serial and parallel processing...?
75% input to A, 25% to B ... 50% of A into B as well ... output mix of 75% A + 25% B ?

Apiento
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Apiento » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:08 pm

I was looking for a Belgrad and then this turns up...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”