MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

The things people sayGoto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
 MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author The things people say
Babaluma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the classic one for me is:

me: "i make electronic music"
geezer: "oh, so you're a dj?"

or this stunning variation:

me: "i'm a mastering engineer"
geezer: "oh, so you're a dj?"

an even after i've explained shit to them, they'll still introduce me to new people who claim an interest in music like this:

"oh, gregg's a dj..."

the fact that i've never mixed two records together in my life, nor even in software, doesn't seem to deter them. wink

another variant, reversed, i meet a dude into music:

me: "so what do you do?"
dude: "i'm a producer"
me: "oh, like sir george martin/steve albini?" [delete as applicable, and yes, i know steve albini doesn't like to refer to himself as a producer...]
dude: "nah, i make phat beats on my mpc"
me: "oh, ok..."

rant over!

lol
OurDarkness
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A friend wanted to buy an Eventide H8000-FW and he asked me for some advice on the unit. He finally bought it and had some troubles with the drivers under Windows. He couldn't fix it so he sent me an email where he was like: "man, you need to help me with this because I hear MSN alerts through diatonic ultrashifters, bathed in cavernous reverbs..."

hihi
emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The things people say Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

electronicpresskit wrote:
Nothing against the kaoss pad, but running $25,000 of analogs through a $400 processor doesn't make much sense.

Wait...but isn't $25,000 in modular synths like 80-something modules that each sell for $200 - $400? If it's not OK to run it through a $400 processor, then I guess it's not OK to run it through a $400 digital delay pedal like the El Capistan...or pretty much any pedal effect or analog phaser/delay or even the typical VCF module...right? seriously, i just don't get it

JRock
InterGalactic Barbarian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just wrapping my BGB up
BGB
And taking it for a little test spin...
A guy from the bar next door (a little drunk) came over and thought he was so clever

" I thought you were playing a Didgeridoo... you know What a Didgeridoo is?"

"What. do you have some tubes back there? That would sound great with tubes in it!"

d'oh!

Real fuckin' Clever. DickHead. A Didgeridoo with Tubes? Dead Banana

ex_dead_teenager
Electro-Busker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

electrobusking I get some of the oddest questions sometimes more than once I've had people ask me if I was playing a radio!

I get a lot of people wanting me to make specific sounds for them.

but mostly I get "what's that thing?" "where's the sound coming from?"

one time I had a guy try and convince me that Andy Mouge was the inventor of the synthesizer.

my favourites though are the odd people who actually know what a synthesizer is and have intelligent things to say about them.

here are some videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/FuckingSynthesizer
Bishop Dust
Wiggling with Experience

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of my modular gig, two men were talking in my back, one asking to the second : "wooww what's this, it looks complex ! " the second answered : "oh not as much, i think all the music you hear come form a tape" confused

Music -> www.soundcloud.com/bishop-dust

DIY modules & Modular Playing -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBDust
reppiks
Obscure Intergalactic Destroyers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played my first modular gig last week, noise stuff.

A Japanese girl was talking to me afterwards about my "i don't know what you call it, is it a machine?", and said that "some of it was too noisy" but there were also sounds of "praying and conversations". When I left she said, "thank you and please keep being creative"

Pretty sweet.
Zenn
Hired Geek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About 10 years ago we did quite a lot of spaced-out tekno livesets in squads and freeparties. No moldulars back then, but between the 3-5 people we had about 2 big mixers, 2 MS20, 2 101s, rythemboxes & drummachines, a shitload of effects, DIY stuffs etc.

So we had been jamming for hours in a dirty corner of rather small room somewhere a squad, and for hours this huge hooligan looking guy had been tripping to our noise. At some point we realized our tempo was >180, 190 bpm, so STOP. tempo back to 120 bpm... couple of faders down... PLAY.
The big guy snaps out of his trance, walks over to us before he said anything my buddy says "So you want us to speed up again?" and the guy says in a heavy local accent:
"No! No! But could you please put back some of that crackleshit? I really like that."
(in local dutch: "Hedde nog wa van diene kroakshit? Da von'k wel goaf")
So we put the MS20 fader back up and he gives us a thumbs up instantly slips back into his trance and hung around for a couple of more hours nanners
m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hahaha this thread is amazing
jjclark
Professor Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think mothers probably make the best comments. From mine, upon listening to my teenage self playing my shirt-button-keyboard PAIA 2700:

- can't you tune it?
- play something nice.
attacksustain
Ultra Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"cool sounds bro. what is that thing ?"
"it's a eurorack modular"
"eurorack ? like Behringer ?"

*poker face*

Muff Wiggler
The cake is a lie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"i get anxiety attacks just looking at it"
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Location: Tweed Manor, Burlington, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjclark wrote:
I think mothers probably make the best comments. From mine, upon listening to my teenage self playing my shirt-button-keyboard PAIA 2700:

- can't you tune it?
- play something nice.

That sounds like what my father said when I was living at home with my Modcan: "When are you going to play an entire song from beginning to end on that thing?"

Come to think of it, maybe my old man had a point. A little bit of synthesized Bachman-Turner Overdrive (one of his favourite bands) might not be a bad idea.
dickwolf
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"what is this? Is this Nintendo music? I don't like Nintendo."
TrondC
Common Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

computer controlled wrote:
I've had more than a few funny and ignorant comments, here are a few:

After playing a live set: "Hey man, nice DJ set"
While playing a live set: "Hey DJ, can you play some dubstep?" and "Can you play some Lenard Skynard?"

But this is the best comment i've ever gotten...
after playing a live set: "That was better than any sex i've ever had!"

applause

Well I dont have any modulars yet (or, thar dark energy of mine keeps asking for friends...), but I can relate a lot to that.I play live techno with Machinedrum and Octatrack, and on every single gig this year (10-12ish) I've heard things like "can you please please please play some disco, this is too hard man", "Hey DJ, can you play a new song soon?" "Thore are weird decks, but it sounds good" wink I usually take that as a compliment, that people cant tell my liveset from a DJ-set (since DJ-sets are usually well planned and full of choice tunes...) wink

Oh, and most of the other acts I play along with are either DJ's or play "livesets" from ableton live. Some refuse to believe me when I told them that my liveset is actually just some 10-15 16-step sequences that are manipulated live, as opposed to a pre-defined 1-hour show with 95% playback and a controller for playing some chords and melodies live :p

...And cheers from a fellow VSE'er wink

Oh,
sersch
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's this rotten building, soon to be torn down, occupied by an artist community. Landlord switched off water & heating, so they melt snow in kettles to flush the toilets. Power generator's humming somewhere, and 2 friends and I play our modulars at this vernissage. I am busy tweaking the knobs, when this guy taps on my shoulder and shouts: "You have WiFi network here?"

(…glad having finally signed up to Muffwiggler)
Bryan B
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hauled out and lit up a few of my acrylic 5U cabs for a show. There was a steady stream of people who were bringing friends around back to look at it all night. The headliners playing after me apparently commented on them at some point "It is unfortunate he didn't make them out of wood". I also got the comment "That looks more complex than my computer inside".

When I was in college, I used to have a pretty crazy room. It had a Loft, Futon huge surround sound setup with 18" subs for watching movies and listening to music. I had turntables on my desk even. When they gave tours at the dorm, they usually stopped by my room if the door was open. One of the visiting parents remarked "How do you get any studying done with those TurnBoards on your desk?". I have been calling my turntables that ever since.

JP wrote:
Hell I want to be able to turn my toaster on with a CV trigger.
Demi Jon
Veteran Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I first came to New Zealand, I was bicycling around with a tiny Coron analog percussion synth, a Boss pitch-shift/delay pedal, my trusty Boss DM-3 analog delay, a four-second digital delay, and a 9v Fender amp. I was sitting on this rock on a deserted beach (though close to Auckland) one evening, playing some abstract electronic noise music. For about 15 minutes, I was totally involved in playing and recording; waves crashing around me, sun on my back. As I was drawing the piece to a close, I guy in a campervan (which I hadn't noticed behind me) yelled out,

"Excuse me, are you talking to whales?"

In hindsight, a fair enough conclusion.
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol

melbourne australia
soundcloud
vimeo
digital_steve
Muppet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christopher Winkels wrote:
I always chuckle when people try to play something polyphonically on any mono synth and then complain that my gear is "broken".

HA!
My father -in-law, magnificent organ player with various bits of paper saying so and regularly plays churches etc, sat down in front of my Voyager XL and tried to play a chord.
He looked at the synth for a moment, then at me... stood up and proclaimed that it must've turned itself off.

Lovely moment.

I think it means you have to frown when you play it.

causticlogic wrote:
Yeah, digital_steve spells "fun" with a capital FU...
mystico
4 million volt wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I overheard a guy at a Pansonic gig proclaim to his companion "Oh I can do all this with my Dr 202, it's just triggers.."
wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fnord wrote:

Once had a bandmate who'd attach himself to one technical term and use it over and over again completely out of context. His favorite term: LFO.
As in, "that sound needs more LFO's man" and "what sort of LFO do we need to get a bass sound like that". I tried to explain the whole modulation thing, but the dude just wanted more lfo's.

"LFO - that's the new cowbell!"
dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After a fun morning sunrise set at a renegade party-- "Oh my god man! That was like-- the most complicated music I've ever heard!! Can you play more of that Daft Punk song you were playing?!?"

Some less redeeming moments:

"You are destroying the trance scene. You know nothing about psychedelic music!" (from a crazy Italian on acid at a desert party)

"If you ever play on a large sound system again, we will personally unplug it" (from two crazy russian twins at a different desert party)

"You will reap infinite internet forum agony for that set my friend" (another crazy from same party as above)

"HEY! YOU!* Stop playing the same shit over and fucking over again! My man BUILDER was playing some fat DUBSTEP right before you** and your ruining it now! If you don't change the fucking music me and all my friends are gonna kick your ass!"
* - 1 ft from my face while I'm literally standing in front of my entire rack of gear all set up for a crazy live modular improv techno gig
** - actually before me there had been an iTunes playlist on shuffle for many hours that mostly featured dubstep pop/classic rock remixes
mind you this guy and his friends were huffing lots of nitrous in the corner.

Hosaka
is board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dogoftears wrote:
If you don't change the fucking music me and all my friends are gonna kick your ass!".

Reading stuff like this makes me confused wether to laugh or cry. Monkey business. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fnord wrote:
I've only played out like 2-3 times, years ago. Ran into a guy I had a class with once, drunk out of his skull and got "what the fuck kinda gear you got man, it's like you got a fucking modem with you".

Once had a bandmate who'd attach himself to one technical term and use it over and over again completely out of context. His favorite term: LFO.
As in, "that sound needs more LFO's man" and "what sort of LFO do we need to get a bass sound like that". I tried to explain the whole modulation thing, but the dude just wanted more lfo's.

fucking hilarous

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6