MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Famous fonts used at synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Famous fonts used at synthesizers
ultrashock
The idea of such topic raised long ago when I studied graphic editors and played with lots of fonts and got some interesting observations I'd like to share to public and there is nothing to hide.
First of all I'd like to say that the whole information below presented only for fun or just in information/educational purposes but could be interesting for wigglers who are familiar with graphic arts and so on. Most of the fonts below are strictly copyrighted as a font or as a part of the logos themselves so please:
1) purchase them if you use them
2) don't rip others artwork.
Everything is up to your conscience.

This topic also was inspired by some other topics from this forum on which I will make some links.
Your comments and additions to this topic are also welcome as well!

Let's start.

1. Buchla fonts were discussed at this and this topics. My observations came to the following:
The labels are written with:
Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium-Condensed-Italic

Earlier it was considered it was likely FF Hydra

The caps text in the the headlines and bottom text is Futura

Eardrill uses ordinary Arial font and its species.

However finally it was found it was Grotesque No. 9 SH Bold Condensed Italic OT (still with some letters changed).
More info here:
http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.co.at/2012/04/font-of-uncertainty .html

Furthur goes the next post...
ultrashock
Roland fonts... Started to discussed here
The most earlier SH synthesizers had a SYNTHESIZER inscription made in oldstyle font called Data70 from ITC corporation. Probably some can find other fonts which are very similar the looks like Data70 since were copied from it. Generally, this is typish 70-80s font smile

Then some TR-machines like 606 or 808 began to produce and Data70 was changed to Serif Gothic from from the same ITC corporation.
The famous "Computer controlled" was written on everything but also used at some System100 modules

Some letters like 'e' were changed, probably, due to copyrighted purposes.

In 1984 famous TR909 arised - the logo was written just in similar and slightly changed font as in TERMINATOR movie logo which was produced the same year
The inscriptions with this font type we can also find at some D50 or JV-series synthesizesers

The inscriptions like 'Drumatix' or 'Bassline' probably were drawn from scratch.

The later font used in Juno series is so popular and that's why worth the separate post.
ultrashock
The later arised Juno series seems use very popular at those times Microgramma D family fonts. Is also known in cyrilic adaptation as 'Micra font' as easily being found and downloadable at google

That was really interesting how many logos were incorporated with this font!

and de-ja-vu:
ultrashock
Oberheim logo font seems like a bit changed Bauer Bodoni Black
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/bauer-bodoni/black/

The labels on OB-x above and on Access Virus synthesizers (pre-Ti) were made with Hadgel Gothic

Sequential Circuits used Amecan Uncial font at their company logo and in some products like Pro-One or Prophet (profit? smile)(one more funny ad)

It was very interesting to see how new Prophet'08 from DSI incorporated same style logo but this type font called Celt family

Roland MC-505 advertising 'At home with grovebox' uses Dom font family

to be continue...
Yoozer
Blacet has an awful font IMHO - Cooper Black.

Oberheim uses Friz Quadrata for the Xpander.

All regular labels - not logos - are usually Helvetica or a variant.
Babaluma
my fave of all time has to be the sequential circuits one used in the late 70's/early 80's:

looks very futhark rune/lord of the rings.
CJ Miller
ultrashock wrote:

The caps text in the the headlines and bottom text is Futura

Early Serge (1973-1976?) also used Futura, if I am not mistaken.

Later Serges have been printed in ITC Eras

chrisso
Interesting discussion.
Love all these different fonts.
bodo
Cwejman uses FF Din Bold
http://dinfont.com/specimen/

Doepfer uses Avant Garde Gothic
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/itc-avant-garde-gothic/
nlaudadio
As a former typesetter (digital and letterpress) and always synthdork, I heartily approve of this thread.
negativspace
nlaudadio wrote:
As a former typesetter (digital and letterpress) and always synthdork, I heartily approve of this thread.

As a professional designer and one who loves typography, I concur. thumbs up
ultrashock
okay, let's move forward.

DOEPFER font at logo seems like a bit changed 7LED font

MOTM font for all labels is Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Condensed

Observing the whole Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ font family I noticed that
Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium-Condensed-Italic was exactly used at all Bucha stuff

and it was NOT FF Hydra-book as was said above.

pittsburgh modular font uses
Impact-Label
but there are also close ones I found are from the PRINTF family and Laber Gun, but still it's not exactly they.

Analog solutions often uses OCR#One font:

The logotype of Analog solutions seems like TapeGun free one or Architype family commercial one but previously it was Bank Gothic from the 1930s...

malekko heavy industry/Wiard font - Libra regular

Corsynth uses Xirod font
metasonix
Metasonix uses Copperplate.

Why? Because. razz
rico loverde
I really like this thread
cbm
ultrashock wrote:
Eardrill uses ordinary Arial font and its species.

As does the Buchla 200e.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
planB?
wintchil
Many thanks for this thread! nanners
ultrashock
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
planB?

I consider PlanB uses the same Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ font family as MOTM and pre-200e Bucha for labels and Eagle Book true type used in logo.
Babaluma
my favourite font is called "dungeon", i wish someone would use it on a synth! i have my OS and all my apps using it, it's on my website and my business card! wink

http://www.fonts101.com/fonts/view/Graffiti/56682/Dungeon.aspx

mjsemtex
nlaudadio wrote:

while i enjoy the examples, may i add...

they're not fonts!
Zenn
It's painfully clear most of these designs choice were done by electro/synth freaks and not graphic designers. (Pittsburg...please cry ) However beeing a general-purpose nerd myself...I do like all those sci-fi typefaces smile
ultrashock
Zenn wrote:
It's painfully clear most of these designs choice were done by electro/synth freaks and not graphic designers. (Pittsburg...please cry )
btw, there was some old modular from which the Pittsburgh was inspired itself most likely... I saw the news about Vienna technishen museum (matrixsynth post) and then I shot this modular myself: big resolution photo with some modules very similar like in Pittsburgh style. woah
probably, lots of lab equipment was labeled in such way back in time, but the modular identification is still needed!
Yoozer
Babaluma wrote:
my favourite font is called "dungeon"

Actually, that'd be Serpentine. (or Boost SSK wink). The bold version is used for the Quasimidi Polymorph and Rave-O-Lution 309.

I'm missing a famous typeface that was used for the Minimoog and Andromeda - Century Gothic.
Babaluma
so how come one font can have three different names then? how are you supposed to know what the original is? i always knew it as dungeon (since i found it on the deviant art site around 2001) and have been using it ever since then. surprised to know there are different versions!
ultrashock
Babaluma wrote:
so how come one font can have three different names then? how are you supposed to know what the original is? i always knew it as dungeon (since i found it on the deviant art site around 2001) and have been using it ever since then. surprised to know there are different versions!

I believe that preliminary this font was developed as Serpentine family by Monotype Imaging in 80s. But very often some designers redraw or remake these fonts from scratch just do not have problems with copyrights.
As a result there are lots of almost same outlines typefaces but with less letters set, worse kerning etc.
For example, this is a freeware version of Serpentine aka TrSah Dungeon . Some interesting note that Eaglefonts website do not shares copyrighted font faces.

Concerning the MOOG font face - Century Gothic Bold used for labels.

The logo I believe it was probable handrawn first then someone make some moogish fontfaces. BTW, Clavia' Nord leads has very similar outlines as Moog smile
To sum it up, there are a few fonts similar to moog (minimoog!) logo...
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/elemeno/woollcott/
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/activesphere/kathleen-sans/bold/
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/proportional-lime/blacktie/bold/
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/burghal/diode/black/
AntManBee
Pittsburgh is DymoFontInvers.ttf
Yoozer
Babaluma wrote:
so how come one font can have three different names then?

Besides what's already named, it can be outright infringement. You named DeviantArt; someone might want to supply a font with a theme but does not have the rights to do so. By simply renaming it in a font editor they dodge the watching eyes that look for specific filenames. Just because it's offered for download doesn't mean that the uploader was allowed to redistribute it.

The clean solution is http://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/ - these look classy and they're guaranteed to be good.

Even back in the day type foundries weren't entirely innocent; having similar fonts in the portfolio with different names wasn't uncommon.

In short, fonts are a mess and type foundries are misanthropic.

Quote:
how are you supposed to know what the original is?

Most reputable source. In case of Serpentine, it's from Linotype, which is likely to be the originator.
Babaluma
thanks for all the info! seems like serpentine was originally designed in 1972, so it's older than me!

http://www.linotype.com/1465/Serpentine-family.html
eben1000uk
any idea what the typeface on pre-e 200 series bucha modules is, the lower case letters and numbers. i don't thinks its akzidenz, look at the 'g'...

i love this font, its so quaint

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/10093004@N03/6488492481/[/img]
decaying.sine
These are the fonts I used on my Buchla 259 clone panel. I used a series of font algorithms and even some pattern matching shit to get them close. I am really happy with the outcomes.

BureauGrotesque-FiveThree, example = MODULATION OSC OUTPUTS
Spartan LT Std, example, PROGRAMMABLE COMPLEX WAVEFORM...

Numbers are BureauGrotesque-FiveThree

You have to pay for these fonts.

eben1000uk
decaying.sine that is extraordinary. good work
ultrashock
decaying.sine
don't you think to make the your font faces more bold for more authenticity?
e-tron
Very cool, thx.
bouzoukijoe1
ultrashock wrote:
Zenn wrote:
It's painfully clear most of these designs choice were done by electro/synth freaks and not graphic designers. (Pittsburg...please cry )
btw, there was some old modular from which the Pittsburgh was inspired itself most likely... I saw the news about Vienna technishen museum (matrixsynth post) and then I shot this modular myself: big resolution photo with some modules very similar like in Pittsburgh style. woah
probably, lots of lab equipment was labeled in such way back in time, but the modular identification is still needed!

the Pittsburgh design is based on a retro functional theme. and the font choice is inspired by vintage Dymo label technology. Dymo f&#$!ng rules. it's like people who hate Courier who don't acknowledge the heritage behind mechanical typewriter fonts. sad! I personally think the design is cool. SlayerBadger!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76253303/sweet-vintage-dymo-labeler?ref=v1 _other_2

http://www.labelvalueblog.com/2009/09/seven-ways-to-use-a-dymo-labeler .html

from their website:
Quote:
Pittsburgh Modular is building a uniquely skewed vision of modular synthesis. All of the Pittsburgh modules are handmade with the look of 1950′s science fiction laboratory equipment using bold components and unique layouts to promote interaction and experimentation. Fresh ideas in modern analog circuitry are used to create new, interesting, and strangely musical tones.
randomvoltage
What is love? I'll tell you. My favorite modular music system, combined with the following typeface applied to the panel graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eras waah

And yet finding room in my heart for it anyway, embarrassing letterform warts and all. Hug
sempervirent
Great thread. I recently found out that the big JUPITER-8 (and JUPITER-6) font is Futura Display.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/efscangraphic/futura-display-sh/regular/

The "J" is custom. I always thought that J looked really out of place (and ugly).

Pretty much everything else on the Jupiters is Helvetica, with a bit of Data-70 (or Westminster or Computerfont, free modern alternatives) and Microgramma (the JP-4/JP-8 labels) thrown in.
sempervirent
Nevermind.
decaying.sine
ultrashock wrote:
decaying.sine
don't you think to make the your font faces more bold for more authenticity?

They may be more bold than that on the original. I know things change in weird ways when I save out of inkscape from the vector format to a tiff or jpeg.

I might be able to bold the font more with the "bold" setting. If that doesn't work, I'll have to do some "bolding" by hand. You're right though. I think it will look a little nicer with the bold fonts.
kkonkkrete
Decaying Sine: I think the spacing should be increased a little too ...

Other than that, it looks amazing
gwaidan
Great thread! FWIW Akzidenz Grotesk is the equivalent of Bitstream Gothic 725, and Microgramma is the equivalent of Eurostile and Bitstream Square 721 (It's also the Elektor Formant font)
cbm
FWIW, I've found that things are less bold when silkscreened with epoxy ink than they look on screen/paper.
corex
Anybody know the typeface used for "Computer Controlled" on the 303?
ultrashock
corex wrote:
have you checked 1st msg?
corex
ultrashock wrote:
corex wrote:
have you chacked 1st msg?

I did, but I think I skimmed over the second, and that appears to've been a mistake... oops
as a 30 yr printing professional I must say what a bunch of fucking geeks you all are. trying to track down whatever font a designer used was NEVER one of my favorite things to do.

rockondudes
eben1000uk
anyone planning buchla format modules should consider using this font for the main panel graphic [not the header / footer text] as i have found it to be the closest match for pre e-series modules:

Grotesque No. 9 SH Bold Condensed Italic OT

you can get it here:

http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/singles/scangraphic/grotesque_no_9_sh_bo ld_condensed_italic_ot/

also this is quite a handy website:

www.whatthefont.com
mangros
Ace thread, just noticed it. Here are my additions...

Serif Gothic 'Computer Controlled' / 'CompuRhythm'* / 'Rhythm Composer' etc - the diagonal 'e' isn't custom, it's part of the original design. The 'r' and 't' are also slightly different from the commonly available digital version.
Before desktop computer digital fonts arrived, alternate characters were quite normal. (Though they're coming back thanks to the popularity of OpenType fonts)

* ('CompuRhythm' on CR-8000 is Dynamo)

Minimoog panel type is either Futura or Twentieth Century (difficult to tell without the lower case), not Century Gothic.

The 'Drumatix'/'Bass Line' lettering is the same as that found on Boss pedals.

To apologize for being pedantic, here is my homebrew version of the above, called Toss. I traced it from lots of big scans of Boss pedals. I've kept as true as possible to the bizarre shapes and general ugliness!

Toss font

And on the rip-off/clone issue and why they exist - shapes can't be copyrighted, but product names can. Freeware rip-offs are usually badly done or from inaccurate sources (see above). Buy the proper ones - a staggering amount of work goes into type design. Fonts don't draw themselves smile
Rogue Ai
Anyone know what typeface was used for the JX-3P? Just the one used for 'JX-3P' nothing else.
Popski
Voyagers use Futura Bold / Cocndensed variants.
Mooger Foogers use Microgamma/Eurostile variants

I love this thread.. I'm kind of a typeface / font geek at heart
infradead
i'm still waiting for some comic sans modules so my case isn't so serious.
owen
I love the EMS font. So clean and modern.

Demi Jon
I'm looking to copy the CRUMAR font for my little 3U skiff -- anyone know the font?

robot909
Great read!

I've always wondered if there are font-spotters amongst synth lovers! Now I know! Good info to know as I've worked in graphic design, and now are into synths and diy. New way to combine my skills!

thumbs up
thetwlo
I think the font Pittsburgh used works pretty well, mostly because it's reversed. Stands out easy to read- very functional. And a font that's reversed for an actual reason--to mimic the dymo.
That said my biggest peeve has always been those grungy old looking fonts that showed up in the early-mid '90's it bugged the crap out of me when bands would use those and every "e" or other letter looked exactly the same, even though it was intended to look natural. So I had reservations about the Pittsburgh as well, but I really love the look now, it's somehow very inviting.
ersatzplanet
Babaluma wrote:

I am very late into this thread but I can answer this question. Font shapes can not be copyrighted but their names can - that is why Corel Draw published 1500+ fonts with their program. They used similar names to the originals or hinting names - Helvetica was called Swiss for example (Confœderatio Helvetica is what the Swiss call Switzerland). This makes for some interesting problems in Logo design. You cannot get a text only logo registered as a trademark unless you modify the text in some way. Usually this is done with extreme kerning or chopping off parts of a letter or such. That is why a lot of logos are " it is like XXX font but slightly different". Basically the names of particular fonts may be protected by a trademark. This is the weakest form of protection because only the font name itself is being protected. For example, the letters that make up the trademarked font Palatino can be copied but the name must be changed.

Under U.S. law, typefaces and the characters they contain are considered to be utilitarian objects whose utility outweighs any merit that may exist in protecting their creative elements. As such, typefaces are exempt from copyright protection in the United States (Code of Federal Regulations, Ch 37, Sec. 202.1(e); Eltra Corp. vs. Ringer). - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typef aces
daverj
That's a little misleading. While typefaces are exempt from copyright in the US, they are not exempt from copyright in all countries.

Typefaces can be patented. Patents don't last as long as copyright, but it's a strong protection, if they go through the expense of getting it.

Font files for vector fonts on computers are covered by copyright. You have to make subtle changes to the characters to sell clones of vector fonts.
ultrashock
Malekko uses a bit modified Kryptic ('k' letters)

Killpatrick Audio uses DIN family for everything

ADDAC uses Planscribe NF

Demi Jon
Demi Jon wrote:
I'm looking to copy the CRUMAR font for my little 3U skiff -- anyone know the font?

Found it -- it's Volta Medium Italic
numan7
i always liked the numerals in the logos for 1980s yamaha and akai keyboards:

cheers
cbm
daverj wrote:
Typefaces can be patented. Patents don't last as long as copyright, but it's a strong protection, if they go through the expense of getting it.

I don't really know the case law regarding design patents for typefaces, but I would imagine that a type face would have to be fairly unusual for a patent to do much good.
daverj
The first design patent ever issued, in the 1840s, was for a script typeface.

There are tens of thousands of them, held by Adobe, Microsoft, American Greetings, Linotype, etc...

Most patents are on fairly stylized fonts, but not all of them:

gridrunner
I love this thread! The Teminator/ TR909 connection is blowing my mind!
How do people feel about the EDP Wasp font? I can't decide if I love it or hate it.
mangros
Wasp font is Frankfurter Inline. Not mad on it but I do like the colour scheme.
hiawog
this is the one that gets me all the time:

Kaput
I'm a self-confessed design fiend, so I love this thread.

I like the Doepfer typeface, so it was good to find out what it was. thumbs up

I've always loved the typefaces used by EMS. Wonder which ones they used? hmmm.....
sempervirent
Rogue Ai wrote:
Anyone know what typeface was used for the JX-3P? Just the one used for 'JX-3P' nothing else.

Looks custom, but who knows.
odecahedron
i have a 3P and have often wondered this tho never found a lead... reminds me of original battlestar galactica font a bit tho that one is a bit narrower, would love it large across the front of a tshirt eh, haha

sempervirent
owen
I'm curious about EMS too. Here's the best pic I could find quickly with their signature typeface:

odecahedron
sempervirent wrote:

yeah, pretty much exactly like that but real. haha

i always get suspicious of sites selling apparel with a digital image - just fucking print the thing and take a photo. its like they're saying "heres what our product is going to look like"

very frustrating
phase ghost
What font is Makenoise using? Mr. Green
CJ Miller
odecahedron wrote:
i always get suspicious of sites selling apparel with a digital image - just fucking print the thing and take a photo. its like they're saying "heres what our product is going to look like"

Great, maybe they can just send the shirt as an email attachment so I get it right away. Or a model I can load into a matter compiler...
JohnLRice
Comic Sans is THE best font! razz
odecahedron
^trolling
JohnLRice
^ hihi
ultrashock
there was request concerning what font faces used at 'Electric' music box labels.

Still open question, but the close ones I've found are something between ITC Century Italic and Positype Kari
techstalks
thanks for the font collections. thanks all of you.
johnnly
Just wanted to say "Great Thread"

I'm having a lot of fun looking through all these old typfaces.

Thanks
sempervirent
The Cwejman logo uses Allumi Std Extended Demi. You can type in sample text here and check it out. The lowercase "e" appears to be a different weight of Allumi, rotated and slightly tweaked. All the other panel text on his modules uses one of the many variants of DIN (Deutsche Industrienorm, or "German Industrial Standard").

Yoozer wrote:
I'm missing a famous typeface that was used for the Minimoog and Andromeda - Century Gothic.

I think that's actually Futura. Century Gothic was not designed until 1991.
BHC303
Roland TR series

ix
[quote="daverj"]That's a little misleading. While typefaces are exempt from copyright in the US, they are not exempt from copyright in all countries.

[/img]

i think you will find the coledale nsw has 42 inch diameter arches and not 41 , copywritten by Arthur bowater who died in 1971 and left a widow and 4 children and who claims copyright infringment on any use of ' arches ' where caravan wheels are concerned from his grave,

I believe if you edge them in alloy this can get around any legality .

BE VERY AFRAID PEOPLE.

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU !
jjclark
odecahedron wrote:
i have a 3P and have often wondered this tho never found a lead... reminds me of original battlestar galactica font a bit tho that one is a bit narrower, would love it large across the front of a tshirt eh, haha

By the way, the font used in the Cylonix Cyclebox for the word "Cylonix" is Bank Gothic, which also happens to be the font used for the opening credits of the newer Battlestar Galactica shows.

felix le chat
Hello,

For some reasons I am looking for the fonts used in the original Moog 904A module:

http://files.effectsdatabase.com/gear/pics/moog_904a_001.jpg
http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/oct03/images/moog06ii904a.l.jpg

Both the texts (like 'VOLTAGE CONTROL LOW PASS FILTER') and the 'moog' label.

I tried to find equivalents in Word but no luck

Any help?

Thanks,
Flc
sempervirent
felix le chat wrote:
For some reasons I am looking for the fonts used in the original Moog 904A module: Both the texts (like 'VOLTAGE CONTROL LOW PASS FILTER') and the 'moog' label.

I've always wondered about this too. Alternate Gothic is used on the MOTM modules, and it's close but isn't an exact match. It's heavier and wider than the type on the Moog modules. I checked into it a bit more and found that News Gothic Extra Condensed is very close, if not identical:

It could also be Trade Gothic Condensed No. 18 but the Extra Condensed version of News Gothic seems to match the modules more closely. The letterforms in Trade Gothic Condensed No. 18 aren't quite as narrow as the ones on the Moog module.

I find it interesting that Dotcom, despite otherwise being obsessed with the Moog aesthetic, settled for ugly old Arial instead of figuring this out.

The Moog logo appears to be based on Akzidenz Grotesk Extended. The "m" is an exact match as far as I can tell, while the "oo" was more rounded and the "g" was customized based on the perfect circle of the "o" character. The "oog" could actually be from a different typeface.

felix le chat wrote:

Not surprising!
felix le chat
Thanks a lot sempervirent

The News Gothic Extra Condensed is very close indeed

Flc
CJ Miller
ultrashock wrote:

Looking into this, now that I have a few Doepfer modules. Their logo is a little similar to 7LED. But 7LED was created in 2010, and this logo dates at least so far back as the mid 90s, if I am not mistaken. Also, the spaces between the LED elements is more narrow in 7LED. What makes searching for LED fonts and typefaces slow is that I keep finding links for putting text on embedded displays.

On a semi-related note - can anybody tell me about this old font used in early PAiA manuals, and on early Sweet Exorcist records? I'd love to use it.

sempervirent
CJ Miller:
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/itfmecanorma/jackson/jackson/
CJ Miller
Ah, you rock! I had been looking for this silly type for ages. Thank you so much
sempervirent
I just cropped the "Mixer" text, enlarged it, and uploaded it to:
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
dangorange
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but this is great for figuring out hard (or easy) to recognize fonts: http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
sempervirent
It was mentioned in the post right before yours :)

welcome
wavehead

what is this moog font from the 928? am i crazy, or does this look a lot different (and really cool)? i want to use it for something i'm building soon.

actually does remind me a lot of the EMS font, which looks to be fairly close to Kade Medium + Trade Gothic Next . i only used part of an EMS flyer and i'm sure they used a few different fonts, but those were the best whatsthefont recognized.
sempervirent
That is probably Microgramma Bold Extended:
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/microgramma/bold-extend/

The same typeface was used on other Moog products, such as the Prodigy:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/moog/moog_prodigy_lg.jpg

It was also immortalized in the retro-futuristic software interface of 2001: A Space Odyssey:

IR
CJ Miller wrote:
ultrashock wrote:

Looking into this, now that I have a few Doepfer modules. Their logo is a little similar to 7LED. But 7LED was created in 2010, and this logo dates at least so far back as the mid 90s, if I am not mistaken. Also, the spaces between the LED elements is more narrow in 7LED. What makes searching for LED fonts and typefaces slow is that I keep finding links for putting text on embedded displays.
Because a font was made in a certain year doesn't mean it wasn't based on something older, for example actual LEDs.

If you follow that kind of logic, then Old English letters were "invented" in the 20th century, 19th at most.

Also, you don't need to design a whole font to make a logo.
CJ Miller
IR wrote:
Because a font was made in a certain year doesn't mean it wasn't based on something older, for example actual LEDs.

If you follow that kind of logic, then Old English letters were "invented" in the 20th century, 19th at most.

I don't apply the logic of accounting for an alphabet the same way as a specific typeface. Of course this font was based on English/Latin letters and real LEDs - but my point was that it didn't quite resemble the one somebody named.

After the post you quoted, I did work on this more, and had best results so far with "Digital 7 italic". I made a mental note to look into finding a font editing program to use for tweaking the "R" with, but I had been sidetracked in the meanwhile.
sempervirent
CJ Miller wrote:
I made a mental note to look into finding a font editing program to use for tweaking the "R" with, but I had been sidetracked in the meanwhile.

Try http://glyphsapp.com if you're a Mac user, it's very easy to work with.
IR
CJ Miller wrote:
IR wrote:

I don't apply the logic of accounting for an alphabet the same way as a specific typeface. Of course this font was based on English/Latin letters and real LEDs - but my point was that it didn't quite resemble the one somebody named.

After the post you quoted, I did work on this more, and had best results so far with "Digital 7 italic". I made a mental note to look into finding a font editing program to use for tweaking the "R" with, but I had been sidetracked in the meanwhile.
Why not simply use an HP41C font? The actual calculator came out in 1979, had 14 segments and used newer technology than LED, namely LCD, and was meant to write letters as well as numbers.
CJ Miller
IR wrote:
Why not simply use an HP41C font? The actual calculator came out in 1979, had 14 segments and used newer technology than LED, namely LCD, and was meant to write letters as well as numbers.

Thanks for the tip, I might use this for something else sometime. I like 14-segment character displays. The Doepfer logo looks like an approximation of a 7-segment display, but it has been touched up with a few differences. Such as the joined vertical segments on the D and O, and the segment angles on the loop of the P and tail of the R. These choices would probably not exist in a real segmented display. IMO this looks silly, since it ruins the simple universality which segmented displays were designed for. The Doepfer logo might not be the most striking or creative, but I still wanted to try to approximate it. Using the 7 LED italic did look quite close when printed panel-size, although the differences become pronounced when displayed in web-size.

My graphic design "training wheels" have been to duplicate the styles of panel graphics I already have. Trying to understand the hole patterns and spacing for controls and text has been a beneficial exercise for me. So any improvements on these originals is something I leave for my own projects to come. I approached doing panel graphics with extreme trepidation, because I got Illustrator and had no idea how to use it. Also I had no experience with 2-d graphics, line art, typography, or any such thing.

sempervirent wrote:
Try http://glyphsapp.com if you're a Mac user, it's very easy to work with.

Thanks, I will look into it. I use other OSs also, but I do my panels on my Mac, since it's where my my graphics programs mostly are. These segmented typefaces are probably the simplest I can start with.
CJ Miller
I found another one! This ornate retro typeface was used in a lot of Serge catalogs of the 1970s for the company logo, and module names on the datasheets. Typically not on the panels themselves, although I think I do recall seeing it a few times, if I am not mistaken.

Even with spacing the letters, removing duplicates, and careful formatting - What The Font was pointing me towards some other dissimilar things. But I looked through hundreds of swashed fonts and saw that various kinds of "Bookman" had nearly identical lower case instances. But the upper case I was finding had much less ornate swashes than Serge used. Somebody pointed out to me a Bookman typeface from Jukebox which reproduces the entire vintage character set - including the very swoopy swashes.

http://marketplace.veer.com/font/Bookman-Complete-JBT0000085

The Serge text is basically the upper case from Bookman Swash Italic B, and the lower case from Bookman Italic. It's still not a 100% match - Serge left the top swash off of the "K", for instance. But this is the closest match I have seen, getting most of the way there, and is perfectly usable with a few tweaks.
sempervirent
Good one, I see that typeface (or variants of it) on a lot of old album covers from the 70s.

osamu
Regarding the request for the typeface used for the "Electric" in Buchla's Electric Music Box (as seen on the 218 and 219 touchplates, and the 1971/2 catalogues) ...

This is Annabelle Matinee NF

Note there is no digital version with the interior decoration. But you should be able to add that yourself with a good vector editor. I did a version using Illustrator. Just convert the text to outlines first. Here's mine ...

The "The" and "Music Box" is set in Caslon. There are many digital versions of this. Some match the original phototpye better than others.
osamu
A correction to an earlier post in this thread (very old now).

The typeface used by Oberheim in their logo is actually Pistilli Roman. This was one of Herb Lubalin's fonts and very popular in the 1970's. There are digital copies available, but not sure if there is a legitimate, licensed version.
sempervirent
Nice work osamu.
Paradigm X
jjclark wrote:
By the way, the font used in the Cylonix Cyclebox for the word "Cylonix" is Bank Gothic, which also happens to be the font used for the opening credits of the newer Battlestar Galactica shows.

Oakley uses Bank Gothic too;

osamu
The famous Korg logo font - also used for their 500 micro-preset, 700/700S and 900PS synths, is ... Neil Bold.

This was also used by wavemakers for their logo:

osamu
Steiner-Parker used the unique and iconic AT Derek Italic for their logo, and for the panels on their Synthacon, Microcon and Minicon synths.

... but not for the Synthasystem. The early Synthasystem (Mk1) used a routed type, similar to Planscribe NF, while the MkII (blackface) Synthasystem used a Swiss font, likely Helvetica. (Trying to keep this modular 8_) )
brickman
Would anyone know what the font on the ARP 2600 is ?

How are y'all finding out what fonts these are ?
osamu
Quote:
Would anyone know what the font on the ARP 2600 is ?

This is one of the Swiss-style sans serifs. Most likely Helvetica, or Neue Haas Grotesk, but could also be Swiss 721. It is not Akzidenz Grotesk (see the shape of the R).

Quote:

A good grounding in the fundamentals of type is a place to start. Knowing and recognizing the various type styles and letterforms by sight, knowing what features can differ, what distinguishes one upper case R from another, for example. And looking at a lot of type! (both historical and contemporary) Anyone with an interest in typography should pick this up pretty quickly.

Secondly, use the available online type search tools such as Identifont or What The Font. There are also type geek forums such as Typophile where you could post your request for an ID.

Thirdly, search the big online type libraries, such as Fontshop or MyFonts. They give you the option of searching by category or style, and for displaying fonts similar to any font you choose. This helps you narrow down the search (for example if you think it might be Helvetica but you're not sure, you can view the alternatives). Look at every letter, not just one or two as often very similar fonts have the most subtle differences.

Of course, if your synth was released in 1971, but the font was designed in 1985, you've obviously got the wrong font. The online type libraries have this information. Also be aware that type on the panels of synths from the sixties, seventies and early eighties would be either from phototypesetting (2 inch photo film masters), or rub-down transfer lettering set by hand. Often when these fonts were later digitized they were "improved" and subtle changes made. So it's rare you will find an exact match even if you have the same font. Some of these older typefaces were never digitized.

If this seems like too much work, just post your question here and someone like me who loves this shit will help you track it down! Guinness ftw!
OurDarkness
What fonts does Eventide use?
TheBradster
OurDarkness wrote:

For the logo itself it looks like a mod of either ITC Kabel or Bitstream Geometric 231. The "i" and "t" are slight different in both.

Great thread BTW!
Why Adapter
osamu wrote:

Quote:

A good grounding in the fundamentals of type is a place to start. Knowing and recognizing the various type styles and letterforms by sight, knowing what features can differ, what distinguishes one upper case R from another, for example. And looking at a lot of type! (both historical and contemporary) Anyone with an interest in typography should pick this up pretty quickly.

Another option is to go to a used book store, and buy a "Specimen Book", a book of samples of hundreds of typefaces, set at various sizes.
OurDarkness
TheBradster wrote:
OurDarkness wrote:

For the logo itself it looks like a mod of either ITC Kabel or Bitstream Geometric 231. The "i" and "t" are slight different in both.

Great thread BTW!

Thanks a lot! thumbs up
megaohm
Anyone know the font that was used for the Mu-Tron Bi-phase pedal?
It looks familiar.

[img][/img]
Why Adapter
Looks like Microgramma to me.
megaohm
Thanks!
reppiks
Any ideas on Livewire's typeface/font on their modules?
Cheers!
osamu
reppiks wrote:
Any ideas on Livewire's typeface/font on their modules?
Cheers!

Looks like Univers 59 Ultra Condensed

Other type used on some modules is Eurostile Extended
What about Russian synths? smile
Polivoks, Aelita, Maestro, Unost etc.
Their fonts are so Sci/Fi and beautiful!
Nantonos
infradead wrote:
i'm still waiting for some comic sans modules so my case isn't so serious.

wait for it …

… why the long face?
Nantonos
This is a great thread.

I have always wondered what typeface was used for the Ondes Martenot. Unfortunately, because it weas engraved into perspex, sites like whatthefont can't handle images of it.
osamu
dogzstar wrote:
What about Russian synths? smile
Polivoks, Aelita, Maestro, Unost etc.
Their fonts are so Sci/Fi and beautiful!

Maestro:

Logo - URW Balloon Extra Bold (no Cyrillic version, but it looks like they've just used the roman glyphs and turned the E backwards to make Э

Panel type - Unknown. But Paratype's Engraver's Gothic has similar cyrillic letterforms (especially Л and Д)

Aelita:

Logo - probably custom

Panel type - one of the swiss fonts. Probably a slightly condensed Helvetica

Polivoks:

Logo and panel type - Probably a custom font. The panel was designed by Vladimir Kuzmina's wife Olimpiada. I am currently working on a reproduction of this font in four weights but am some time off release. In the meantime you could look at Paratype's version of Bank Gothic. This is similarly squarish but doesn't match some of the letterforms, and doesn't have the trimmed descenders.

Junost:

Logo - Unknown.

Panel type - Patterned on Eurostile, probably custom since no Cyrillic version of Eurostile exists.
osamu
Nantonos wrote:
I have always wondered what typeface was used for the Ondes Martenot. Unfortunately, because it weas engraved into perspex, sites like whatthefont can't handle images of it.

There are several modern digital fonts that are styled on this type of routed engraving. Take a look at Planscribe NF from Nick's Fonts. I think this is one of the best and I've used it for several of my projects where I need to reproduce this kind of lettering.
Nantonos
osamu wrote:
Nantonos wrote:

There are several modern digital fonts that are styled on this type of routed engraving. Take a look at Planscribe NF from Nick's Fonts. I think this is one of the best and I've used it for several of my projects where I need to reproduce this kind of lettering.

Many thanks! I was able to find several other candidates once I had the keyword "routered" to search on. Usumaru by Radomir Tinkov and Rendering by Jeff Levine were also possibilities, but I agree that Planscribe by Nick's Fonts is the closest: gap between vertical stem and diagonal in R, overall shape of O, length of central bar in E, top of A.

I also see you have answered a similar query on Typophile, now that I have appropriate search terms.
LeftyLogic
Does anyone happen to know what font is used for the module names on the Wiard 1200 series? I know the Walekko versions were discussed earlier in the thread, but I can't seem to find anything on the frac versions. seriously, i just don't get it

nuromantix
did anyone figure out what the EMS font is?
is it just Arial bold?

TheBradster
Looks more like Helvetica from the shape of the leg of the R.
Unit 27
Arial was designed in 1982 and the vocoder predates that, so no. Best bet is Helvetica, but I can't just find the right weight to match up. Sometimes the reproduction process (screenprinting?) thickens things up a bit.

Pete

Edit: Got in just before me, TheBradster. Look also at numeral "1".
solaris
nuromantix wrote:
is it just Arial bold?

"EMS VOCODER" seems helvetica medium.

EDIT: actually not so sure, the C seems different.
whinger
LeftyLogic wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what font is used for the module names on the Wiard 1200 series? I know the Walekko versions were discussed earlier in the thread, but I can't seem to find anything on the frac versions. seriously, i just don't get it

American Uncial, but with a stroke.
roglok
solaris wrote:
nuromantix wrote:
is it just Arial bold?

i agree. Helvetica Medium but with a custom C and custom zeroes.

fwiw the small print looks like Eurostile Extended to me.
whinger
roglok wrote:
solaris wrote:
nuromantix wrote:
is it just Arial bold?

My guess is Swiss 721 medium.
roglok
whinger wrote:
roglok wrote:
solaris wrote:
nuromantix wrote:
is it just Arial bold?

Swiss 721 was created in 1982. On a closer look it looks more like Helvetica's predecessor Neue Haas Grotesk. But the EMS C still looks more open...
hmmm.....
whinger
roglok wrote:
Swiss 721 was created in 1982. On a closer look it looks more like Helvetica's predecessor Neue Haas Grotesk. But the EMS C still looks more open...
hmmm.....

I don't think so, I think the digital version was made in 1982. Max Miedinger was commissioned to draw Swiss 721, and he died in 1980. But it's also not a hill I'm willing to die on.
gaia-the-wise
I'm guessing it's Standard Medium (available today from CastleType as CT Standard Medium) - it's the official typeface specced for the NYC Subway system and I think it's also used in the Chicago subway. It's very close to Aksidenz and Helvetica but slightly different.
Norgatron
Does anyone have a clue about the font Yamaha used on the SK and CS synths?

I guess this was handcrafted as there is quite a bit of variation.

The SK10 manual even has differently drawn K to the synth.

Or does anyone know if Yamaha used this font anywhere else?

[/img]
DrReverendSeance
You could try "What the Font"
https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Upload an image and it will guess the closest font options (and offer them for sale!)
Norgatron
DrReverendSeance wrote:
You could try "What the Font"
https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Upload an image and it will guess the closest font options (and offer them for sale!)

I forgot to mention that I tried that already. Thanks anyway, it's always a good tip and my first port of call.
Lineofcontrol
Any new fonts for me to enjoy??? nanners
whinger
Norgatron wrote:

I believe it's Corporate URW. https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/corporate-urw/corporate-urwtnor-4693 6/
raccoonboy
TheBradster wrote:
Looks more like Helvetica from the shape of the leg of the R.

My brother watched a documentary about Helvetica font! hahahah

Quality subject by the way!
Norgatron
whinger wrote:
Norgatron wrote:

I believe it's Corporate URW. https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/corporate-urw/corporate-urwtnor-4693 6/

Brilliant! Thanks very much! thumbs up
Norgatron
whinger wrote:
Norgatron wrote:

Brilliant! Thanks very much! thumbs up
nathanscribe
Aha, so I've been working on this very topic for a few days, and then find this thread!

Nobody figured out the Roland logo typeface yet? I think it's one of the Univers family (63 is my best guess so far, the original width and weight rather than the 'bold extended' digital version).

As for the old Oberheim logo, as mentioned very early on here, Bodoni is wrong (check the lower case 'b'). I think it's Pistilli Roman, which seems to be revived digitally as Eloquent JF Pro: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/cbx-jukebox/eloquent-jf-pro/ - on the other hand, Didoni looks good as well: https://www.fontshop.com/families/didoni

Current Moog products use a combination of Futuras: the Little Phatty, for example has Futura Medium & Bold for most panel graphics, with Futura Medium Condensed for button options, with Gill Sans for the "analog synthesizer" text and Gogobig for the "Little Phatty" name.

Sequential was Stop and American Uncial with an alternative '5'.

As for Yamaha using Corporate URW, I've been trying to find out when it was designed, and I *think* it was 1971, but the dates at myfonts are the mid-80s. It would have to be the earlier date to have been Yamaha's choice. Also, the capital 'M' is different to the one used in teh 20/40M markings, so either it was modified, or there was an alternative glyph that has been lost in translation, or it's a variant typeface: https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/corporate-urw/corporate-urwtnor-4693 6/glyphs.html#glyphs/469461/46

I should add that my reference material is a couple of old typeface books (The Encycolpedia of Typefaces by Jaspert et al, and Rookledge's International Typefinder), as well as the usual websites; often the new digital versions are slightly different to their ancestors, which goes some way to explaining odd mismatches for certain characters.
Drillionaire
This thread is amazingly satisfying.

I just wanted to add that although Arial is the font for the majority of the current Buchla 200e panels, the header and footer text is Helvetica Bold.

Additionally, there's a typo in the 261e that I've never seen anyone else mention. The second 'O' in 'MODULATION' is actually a numeral 0.

SynthBaron
sempervirent wrote:
felix le chat wrote:
For some reasons I am looking for the fonts used in the original Moog 904A module: Both the texts (like 'VOLTAGE CONTROL LOW PASS FILTER') and the 'moog' label.

I've always wondered about this too. Alternate Gothic is used on the MOTM modules, and it's close but isn't an exact match. It's heavier and wider than the type on the Moog modules. I checked into it a bit more and found that News Gothic Extra Condensed is very close, if not identical:

It could also be Trade Gothic Condensed No. 18 but the Extra Condensed version of News Gothic seems to match the modules more closely. The letterforms in Trade Gothic Condensed No. 18 aren't quite as narrow as the ones on the Moog module.

I find it interesting that Dotcom, despite otherwise being obsessed with the Moog aesthetic, settled for ugly old Arial instead of figuring this out.

The Moog logo appears to be based on Akzidenz Grotesk Extended. The "m" is an exact match as far as I can tell, while the "oo" was more rounded and the "g" was customized based on the perfect circle of the "o" character. The "oog" could actually be from a different typeface.

felix le chat wrote:

Not surprising!

Alternate Gothic No. 2 is the exact Moog/MOTM font:

painlessparker
Typical of the elitist world of modular to shun time-tested, classic fonts such as the iconic yet disarming comic sans, otherwise known as 'the people's font'.
DrReverendSeance
painlessparker wrote:
Typical of the elitist world of modular to shun time-tested, classic fonts such as the iconic yet disarming comic sans, otherwise known as 'the people's font'.

I can't imagine why.... Miley Cyrus

painlessparker
DrReverendSeance wrote:
painlessparker wrote:

I can't imagine why.... Miley Cyrus

Now, that's an aesthetic that would really engage me with a brand. Manufacturers take note.
nathanscribe
Any synth labelled in Comic Sans would be limited to sounds like 'fwonk'.
iguano
Wow - what a fantastic thread. I just randomly clicked out of curiosity and here I am six pages later. Inspiring.

LOL - comic sans should only be used for a sampler used to replicate sound effects from cartoons or the old Batman tv show.
Vincent

Oberheim when for an usually 'unsynthy' font here. To great affect imho.

It looks like Bodoni but not the standard cut. Some of the serifs seem a tiny bit exaggerated.

"Lovely stuff"—Skakin Stevens
DrReverendSeance
The Oberheim choice does stand out. osamu thought it was Pistilli Roman (similar style as Bodini) earlier in this thread.

Looking at the lower case "b" I'd say he's right.
Vincent
Ah yes that looks like it! Thanks!
ElSmurf
In case someone still reads this thread - does anyone know which font was used for the Roland Dimension D logo? Whatthefont doesn't seem to recognize it.
Norgatron
ElSmurf wrote:
In case someone still reads this thread - does anyone know which font was used for the Roland Dimension D logo? Whatthefont doesn't seem to recognize it.

No, but... It's like Expressa. But the 'S' is from something else. Perles has an 'S' like that.
DrReverendSeance
TS Expressa is really close.
It is also similar to ITC Pump, but the E is different.
sempervirent
Vincent wrote:

For the "Xpander" font, try Friz Quadrata Bold:
https://www.linotype.com/185616/friz-quadrata-bold-product.html
ElSmurf
Another request : the name of the Solina string synths

Al
SlayerBadger!
ElSmurf
And another one : the front panel of the original Oberheim SEM!
chamomileshark
DrReverendSeance wrote:
The Oberheim choice does stand out. osamu thought it was Pistilli Roman (similar style as Bodini) earlier in this thread.

Looking at the lower case "b" I'd say he's right.

Worst eye chart ever.

Love the thread though.
txotxi
Hi, I'm interested in knowing the typography of this iconic synthesizer

qp
anyone know the font used on the Moog Prodigy / Rogue?
DrReverendSeance
The Rogue and Prodigy use different fonts.

The Prodigy looks like Pump (with an outline added)

The Rogue looks like outlined Helvetica.
qp
Sorry, I mean the panel text. The Rogue uses the same text for some of the text like “modulation”, oscillators” etc.
DrReverendSeance wrote:
The Rogue and Prodigy use different fonts.

The Rogue looks like outlined Helvetica.
nathanscribe
qp wrote:
Sorry, I mean the panel text. The Rogue uses the same text for some of the text like “modulation”, oscillators” etc.

Microgramma or Eurostile. The former was caps-only, the latter added lower case.
nathanscribe
txotxi wrote:
Hi, I'm interested in knowing the typography of this iconic synthesizer

This is very frustrating, I've not been able to find this either. It bears some resemblance in its outline to Superstar, but the closest I've got so far is one I found in an old print volume of typefaces called Astra, which can be seen here: http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-51060.html

It's not the same, but it's not inconceivable the Roland team used altered versions of things. Or, that the typefaces they used were never transitioned to digital and have fallen into obscurity. One possibility is that rather than use a standard typeface, they took the outline of an existing type and filled it with pattern – Letraset provided sheets of these things. Sadly I lost my old catalogues and many of them don't seem to be online.

The Robert-designed font above can be found revived as Chicago on MyFonts: https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/itfmecanorma/chicago/chicago/
nathanscribe
ElSmurf wrote:

It took some finding, but it's Cut-In Medium:

https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/31490/cut-in
qp
That’s it. Thanks!!!!

nathanscribe wrote:
qp wrote:

Microgramma or Eurostile. The former was caps-only, the latter added lower case.
nathanscribe
DrReverendSeance wrote:

Close, but no – it's Optex, which seems to have failed to make the transition to digital except in a slightly altered form as Olympik:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WPMByjAlgyU/TU7BN8efkWI/AAAAAAAAAlU/bP716KXu E0c/s1600/moog_prodigy_nov80_pg67_ck.jpg

https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/32245/optex

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/olympik/bold-line/glyphs.h tml
nathanscribe
roglok wrote:
whinger wrote:
roglok wrote:
solaris wrote:
nuromantix wrote:
is it just Arial bold?

hmmm.....

It's not Haas, the R is different. I'm almost certain this is just Helvetica Medium, looking at the typeface as it appears in print in Jaspert, Berry and Johnson's Encyclopaedia.
DrReverendSeance
nathanscribe wrote:
DrReverendSeance wrote:

Close, but no – it's Optex, which seems to have failed to make the transition to digital except in a slightly altered form as Olympik:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WPMByjAlgyU/TU7BN8efkWI/AAAAAAAAAlU/bP716KXu E0c/s1600/moog_prodigy_nov80_pg67_ck.jpg

https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/32245/optex

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/northernblock/olympik/bold-line/glyphs.h tml

Right you are!
Rumblefuzz
Came across this thread because I was trying to find what typeface Yamaha used on the panels of their synths and organs in mid- to late seventies.

Just found out it's Univers condensed.
Norgatron
Rumblefuzz wrote:
Came across this thread because I was trying to find what typeface Yamaha used on the panels of their synths and organs in mid- to late seventies.

I agree. 77-78 was Univers then from 79 they switched to what looks like Helvetica.

I wrote about this whilst considering how my rackmount SS-30 is going to look. http://ss30m.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/panel-design-re-think-yamahas-desi gn.html
nathanscribe
Rumblefuzz wrote:

Frutiger's original system of numbering the width and weight as a 2-digit code was a much neater nomenclature I think.

https://jamesbrook.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/the-frutiger-grid/

Linotype still pay some dues to this while also applying the clumsier bold/condensed/etc naming system.
/mr
sempervirent wrote:
Vincent wrote:

For the "Xpander" font, try Friz Quadrata Bold:
https://www.linotype.com/185616/friz-quadrata-bold-product.html

Wow, look how they put the "X" upside down! Never seen that before. lol
/mr
How about this good old EMS font?

It seems like they changed font at some point though, this must be some form of Univers, with Futura on the numbers:

nathanscribe
/mr wrote:
How about this good old EMS font?

It seems like they changed font at some point though, this must be some form of Univers, with Futura on the numbers:

In your first image of the oscillator vernier, the typeface for "OSCILLATOR 1", "FREQUENCY", and "SHAPE" is not Univers. Univers has a curved leg on the 'R', this is straight. Also, look at the tail of the 'Q'. It's more likely to be one of the many variants of Standard (or Akzidenz Grotesk), which has been around in one form or another since the 19th century.

Regarding the second image, it's too blurry to tell – in Univers the lower 'k' meets at the stem, whereas in the photo the leg of the 'k' seems to join the upper arm (though it is difficult to tell from the blurry image – otherwise it does look a lot like Univers). However, the 'R' does have a curved leg, which means it's not Standard/AG in that example... and it's not Helvetica, because in that typeface the 'G' has a stem, whereas this does not. A clearer 'k' would clinch it I think.
/mr
Please read my text again - I wasn't saying that the first image had Univers. smile

Anyway, back to the main question. Regarding the old "Standard" fonts, is there a good resource to find more info about them? The name is quite ungooglable. very frustrating

Here's a clearer view of a matrix with the typeface of the second image. Surprisingly, now the "k" looks like Univers, doesn't it?

nathanscribe
/mr wrote:
Please read my text again - I wasn't saying that the first image had Univers. smile

cool

Quote:
Anyway, back to the main question. Regarding the old "Standard" fonts, is there a good resource to find more info about them? The name is quite ungooglable.

Not sure about online sources, I just read a lot of books. Rookledge's International Typefinder comes in handy sometimes, and Stephen Coles has written some nice coffee-table books comparing and analysing type design. I also am a part-time bookbinder, so I just pick up random snippets of info from talking to people. I met a guy who carves and casts his own type. Makes synth DIY look like Lego we're not worthy

Quote:
Here's a clearer view of a matrix with the typeface of the second image. Surprisingly, now the "k" looks like Univers, doesn't it?

Yes!

Interestingly, Univers had two systems of nomenclature, depending on foundry. The original idea was numeric, which I think is a great system. The other was the traditional but perhaps less useful 'bold oblique' etc.

Frutiger's numeric system is well illustrated here:

https://www.extensis.com/blog/fonts/font-weights-frutiger/
/mr
nathanscribe wrote:
Frutiger's numeric system is well illustrated here:

https://www.extensis.com/blog/fonts/font-weights-frutiger/

Interesting, thanks for sharing!
Also very inspiring to read about Adrian Frutiger's other work, what a master he was. Really my type. hihi

Still, I wonder what the top one of the EMS fonts might be. smile
drainyoo
Great thread. I’m a design nerd, so one thing to point out... when referring to the aesthetics of the letterforms, you use “typeface”. A “font” is essentially the digital file that contains the different weights of the typeface. For example:

“Can you send me the Helvetica font so I can load it on my computer?”

Vs

“My favorite typeface is Helvetica.”

There are some people that will argue that “font” and “typeface” are interchangeable, but they’re wrong.
kcd06
Quote:
There are some people that will argue that “font” and “typeface” are interchangeable, but they’re wrong.

Careful. Goudy, if you inflict his book "Typologia" on yourself, uses fount, or font interchangeably with typeface, and he wrote that thing back around 1940 when a computer was a someone with a math degree. (I regard "Typologia" as a waste of time but entirely too many type nerds fawn over his work.)
Shledge
Sorry to necro...

A typeface is basically a "collection" of fonts eg. different sizes, weights, italics etc.

Talking about Helvetica in general? You're talking about the typeface.
Helvetica in 36pt and in semibold or Helvetica in 24pt and light? You're talking about fonts.

To put it simply - a font is what you use, a typeface is what you see. wink

Anyway...

I believe Waldorf uses plain old Times New Roman - it looks quite similar. Especially how the lower case o looks slightly slanted.
nodog
Sorry to bump this thread again (and not so sorry because it's fascinating Mr. Green ) but i'm looking for the font used on the panel of the prophet 600/pro1. I don't mean the logo but the letters describing the knobfunctions etc.

I want to make some stickers for my giglified P600 and would love to use the right font.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 8