MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutant timbre/mod index section PCB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Author Mutant timbre/mod index section PCB

astroschnautzer

Ill take 2

xi-bot

i'd like one
thanks

rico loverde

ill take 4

Mongo1

If I haven't said so before, I'd be in for 2

Gary

J3RK

I will want two of them as well. thumbs up

boothnavy

uno.

asterisk

count me in for 1 when they are ready.

beautyofdecay_

Monobass wrote:
great stuff smile

I'm surprised no one mentioned it already.. but if you did have to make further revisions would you consider adding a Euro power connection?

Well, the board is intended to be piggybacked onto the 258J oscillator board(s) but I guess I could change the current thru-power "connector" to a Euro power connector so to make it easier to integrate it as a stand-alone unit in a Euro setup and still be able to use it as a power-thru connector. I will look into that.

As for progress report:
I'm soldering the board and am about 80% done. However, yesterday I discovered I forgot to order some components in my last Mouser order d'oh! so I have to go through my project backlog to see if I can "borrow" some of the needed components from there wink
I have all the important stuff so I think I'll be able to get everything...

When everything works out I'm planning to post a nice demo video.

iopop

Is it two 258j per board?

beautyofdecay_

Yes. If you want to built a "mutant complex waveform generator" you'll need two 258J boards.
I intended it to be like this.

ultrashock

beautyofdecay_
are you actually scale voltages at the mod. index vca of cv out?
timbre circuit uses only positive voltage for regulation (fet based vca inside in the original scheme).
probably, your mod. index vca also controlled by positive voltages?
in that case you will have a 'hole' in control in half-period when the mod. osc. will go below zero

clarke68

Okay, here's the latest version of the panel:

Changes:

- Name Change (longer name required a redesign of the masthead/attribution)
- Moved input jacks farther from the edges in order to (hopefully) allow for conversion to bananas
- Eliminated separate LIN & EXP FM inputs, in favor of a single switched input
- Distinguished output jacks with black, reverse type

I didn't check the PCB, but I want to make sure that the new FM input scheme is possible/useful. I love the additional clear space on the panel, but is there ever a case where you would want both EXP and LIN FM running at the same time? Would this require an impractical switch (like a 16PDT or something)?

I was really close to changing the word "modulation" to "mutation" everywhere on the panel...so we'd have a Primary Oscillator, a Mutation Oscillator, joined together by the Mutation Index in the center. I shied away because "mutation" isn't a standard synth term, but it sure is cool. Let me know what you think.

Cat-A-Tonic

The panel looks great.

I think the lin/expo switch is ok
because you can still use an external attenuator for the 1v/Oct
if you really need simultaneous lin + expo FM.

The one thing that I can think of that it could possibly be benefit from is an external input for the Timbre section.
It could be normalized with a switching jack,
but it might be fun to try different waveforms as inputs,
or even different sound sources all together.
Then again, I am ignorant of this timbre circuit,
so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

astroschnautzer

Looking nice, I'm though a fan of dedicated lin and expo inputs with attenuators.

asterisk

I'm with astro here too, I like having as many FM inputs with attenuators as possible. I prefer the separate Lin / exp inputs with dedicated attenuators.

I also agree that tapping an input for the timbre section would be cool.

panel is looking great!

clarke68

"The customer is always right..."

Here it is with two FM inputs:

asterisk

that's very beautiful!

Monobass

two FM inputs is a good idea thumbs up

J3RK

Beautiful Clarke!

astroschnautzer

clarke68 wrote:
"The customer is always right..."

Here it is with two FM inputs:

we're not worthy

Monobass

IMO those large black panels kinda make it look a little less refined than the CGS and CLee panels, but no biggie.

clarke68

Monobass wrote:
IMO those large black panels kinda make it look a little less refined than the CGS and CLee panels, but no biggie.

Thanks for the feedback. I did that because, now that I have a whole bunch of my panels together in a rack, I find they look a little "clinical" together. It seemed like the thing they were missing was some contrast. Not sure if this is the best way to add it, but I do like how it clearly delineates the outs, especially on the latest version with the two FM inputs.

Definitely interested in what anyone else thinks...ctrl-z is always an option until the order is placed!

lazerkind

I like the new blacker version. Very easy to find the ins and outs.

How would one wire the pitch-> Fm mod?
My thought about the mutant index was to add one more switch to add FM to the lin FM input and/or the exp FM. Not sure how useful that would be but better to speak now than after the panels are done right wink

Also, I wonder if there sould be useful to have a external input to the timbre?
(I do have some wavefolders already and the MSU is even more, but it is probably a different character in the mutant timre version?)

keninverse

lazerkind wrote:
I like the new blacker version. Very easy to find the ins and outs.

I second this. It definitely breaks up the panel real estate and easy to visually locate jacks.

Monobass

It's not that I don't like the usability that the big black areas add, it's more that I think the way the section titles are done look really sharp and stylish in contrast. I'll be buying two regardless thumbs up

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Page 7 of 19