Module Modules are coming

Handmade synthesizer artifacts.

Moderators: Kent, zerosum

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks for the update and information, Brian.

My primary concern with the jack spacing is getting my fingers in there to change things around once the three cables are inserted. It's not a deal-breaker. It's just that ergonomics figure highly into Buchla designs and is one of the reasons I chose the format.

For me, when immersed in Buchla-land, I don't think that I'd like to be periodically reminded that "Oh, and this isn't a real Buchla module..." every time that I use something that is integrated into the case. The more things that are like that, the less the system works as a whole. The Eardrill stuff is a good example of product which does not suffer from this. Hell, the banana jack spacing on the Pendulum/Ratchet is specifically lined up for shorting bars when the Pendulum/Ratchet sits between a 266e and 281e. Just something to think about.

I'll probably grab both of these units at some time though.

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Kent wrote:I don't think that I'd like to be periodically reminded that "Oh, and this isn't a real Buchla module..."
But... it isn't. That's kind of the point, right?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 am

science wrote:
Kent wrote:I don't think that I'd like to be periodically reminded that "Oh, and this isn't a real Buchla module..."
For my sensibilities, it is a point, but not the point. The appeal is more nuanced than black or white.

It's a product designed to work with and within the Buchla paradigm. It should be able to get its freak on whilst co-existing within the pre-defined eco-system.
Metasonix Performace with Buchla Ergonomics & Voltage Compatibility. That's what I'm looking for in these.

Lakbra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lakbra » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Metasonix Performace with Buchla Ergonomics & Voltage Compatibility. That's what I'm looking for in these.
To be fair, that's Zerosum Inertia Performance with Buchla Ergonomics & Voltage Compatibility... Just sayin :chug:

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Kent wrote:
science wrote:
For my sensibilities, it is a point, but not the point. The appeal is more nuanced than black or white.

It's a product designed to work with and within the Buchla paradigm. It should be able to get its freak on whilst co-existing within the pre-defined eco-system.
I do agree with Kent here.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:13 am

I was quite clear and deliberate with my word choice.

To repeat: "That's what I'm looking for in these."

Eric Barbour designed these and they are derivative of previous circuits. Brian handles all aspects of design outside of the actual circuit and he brings the products to market.

Again, Mark Verbos and Eardrill get this. Non-Buchla product that exists harmoniously in the system.
Lakbra wrote:
Metasonix Performance with Buchla Ergonomics & Voltage Compatibility. That's what I'm looking for in these.
To be fair, that's Zerosum Inertia Performance with Buchla Ergonomics & Voltage Compatibility... Just sayin :chug:

Lakbra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lakbra » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Kent wrote:I was quite clear and deliberate with my word choice.

To repeat: "That's what I'm looking for in these."

Eric Barbour designed these and they are derivative of previous circuits. Brian handles all aspects of design outside of the actual circuit and he brings the products to market.

Again, Mark Verbos and Eardrill get this. Non-Buchla product that exists harmoniously in the system.
Lakbra wrote:
Metasonix Performance with Buchla Ergonomics & Voltage Compatibility. That's what I'm looking for in these.
You yourself imply performance is affected by design, so how can these be solely "Metasonix Performance"? You contradict yourself, and in that sense your diction is not very clear or consistent with previous posts about diversity in panel design negatively affecting you. I understand your point Mr.Kent, but that's not what I was addressing, I was just saying it's unfair to attribute Performance solely to Metasonix when this is clearly a joint venture. :chug: didn't mean to rouse your bones :razz:

mecanikill
Electrical Demon

Post by mecanikill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 am

Oh man oh man can't wait for these!

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:24 am

:omg: :nana:

Wonderful work Brian! Love the audio modulation demo :love:
These are a great addition to every Buchla out there: Buchla goes Tubela :twisted:

Are the tubes on the picture the shorter ones (6AK5/5654)?
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:44 am

:nana: 8_)
Buchla goes Tubela
:hihi:
Are the tubes on the picture the shorter ones (6AK5/5654)?
Yeah

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Come see the prototypes in action today.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm

The Tooth Fairy just made an order of PCB's happen. :yay: :banana: :nana:

Gears are turning :driving: :cflag:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Things are moving along nicely, I'm pleased with how things are turning out.
Parts are on order to continue work on the project.

The ideal patch is two ZIMM01's and one ZIMM02.
Patched up audio signal>ZIMM01>ZIMM02>ZIMM01.

Use the first ZIMM01 to control dynamics and hit it with your gates, triggers and envelopes.
The ZIMM02 is used to sculpt the sound with a deadly resonance that sounds interesting right on the edge of oscillation.
The final ZIMM01 is used as a distortion control.

Here are some sounds I made with that patch listed above, with an R55 as an audio source, and a UEG providing the sequencing and thumping the first ZIMM01 with it's trigger output :

010201 bonk donk woody plonk

010201 Space Invaders!!!

010201 return of the BULLDOZER!

All ModuleModule modules will come standard with 6AK5/5654 tubes.
All sounds made with 5654's.

Lakbra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lakbra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 pm

:woah: :woah: :woah:
The first patch/track you can really hear those vactrols at work... love those sounds!!
The second patch/track is just straight up quirky fun!! I could not stop picturing myself in an arcade...
Oh and the third one... well... :omg:

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 am

Great demos of great modulemodules Brian!

From clean and warm to overdrive and then to these "fragile" sounds on the edge of craziness ...

Love to get my hands on them! :sb: :goo: :nana:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh you guys...... :loves: :hug: :yay:
Thank you :party:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 am

I think we are getting closer to the finish line. :cflag: :driving:

I need a Buchla patching buddy, anyone want to come to Lakeport and see/test some prototypes?

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 am

Looking good!
How would these transport when folding the 200e 24wls or 18wls? Will the tubes fall out? Not being smart, I have never used a tube anything before.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 am

The tube sticks out about 25 to 27 mm from the panel, so it looks like it should fit in a fold up case, but I don't have one to confirm.
The tube is about even with the knobs.

The tube is in the socket pins pretty tight, so I don't think it would fall out easily.

:nana:

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:37 am

GAS, WANT :omg: :nana:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 am

weinglas wrote:GAS, WANT :omg: :nana:
You get number 1's

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:36 am

zerosum wrote:
weinglas wrote:GAS, WANT :omg: :nana:
You get number 1's
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:goo: :omg: :sb: :nana: :hail: :rastanana: :wow: :headbang: :drinking:
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
Videos

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 am

How much current does each one draw? Have these been tested in fully loaded cases?

Tobor
Tardis Chauffeur

Post by Tobor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:04 am

Brian thank you for posting here the updates of your work.
While I find the sounds interesting I must admit I have some comments on the front panels.
The suggestion of Kent is right, ergonomics are very important, also I find the graphical layout too rough for the Buchla standard. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work you do, but I wouldn't buy a module for my Buchla with such look. To fit well (just my own honest opinion) in the Buchla world a module must respect ergonomics and graphic layout of Don's modules.
Graphics are important as they are an essential part the user interface.
Chris' modules really respect Don's vision also in the graphical aspect, and that is one of the reasons that will bring me to buy one of his creations sooner or later.
I really don't want to sound harsh or start a futile flame here. I'm just telling my opinion as a Buchla user.

Return to “Zerosum Inertia”