MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bass guitar fundamental note frequency range and extraction?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Bass guitar fundamental note frequency range and extraction?

DonKartofflo

I'm currently trying to perfection the tracking of my analogue systems rs-35 pitch to cv converter by eliminating all the subharmonics and overtones from the tone of my bass so that the rs-35 only detects the fundamental if my bass without being confused by the harmonics and overtones in the monophonic signal.
To achieve this, i would like to filter out all the frequencies from my tone which are not part of the bass' fundamental frequency range.
Does anybody here know the frequency range of the bass guitar from the low e to the highest note of the g string, just the fundamental notes, not the overtones?
thanks in advantage
Don

Babaluma

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

bass guitar's low E fundamental frequency is E1 which is 41.2 Hz, one octave lower than a regular guitar. (i once had a long argument with a professional bass guitarist, who assured me it was 2 octaves lower, he was wrong, and someone else once told me a double bass was 2 octoves lower, they were wrong too).

hope that helped!

DonKartofflo

thanks! thats exactly what i was searching for thumbs up
really useful hyper

Babaluma

no worries!

Rockin' Banana!

Suburban Bather

Babaluma wrote:
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html
Bookmarked! This is perfect, mucho gracias SlayerBadger!

CursedFrogurt

Babaluma wrote:

bass guitar's low E fundamental frequency is E1 which is 41.2 Hz, one octave lower than a regular guitar. (i once had a long argument with a professional bass guitarist, who assured me it was 2 octaves lower, he was wrong, and someone else once told me a double bass was 2 octoves lower, they were wrong too).

Holy shit. I never would have believed that if I hadn't just gone and tested it out with my ears. It's funny the assumptions you can make yourself believe.

Babaluma

again no worries!

yeah, i used to think it was 2 octaves lower when i started playing bass (around 24 years ago), but then discovered it wasn't. smile

also remember, 99% of the people who hear a bass's low E string on a recording, aren't hearing any of the fundamental AT ALL, but just the harmonics (not many people's speakers are flat down that low).

dualmono

Just posting this link to the other thread in the Eurorack forum in case someone searches for applications like this and ends up here. Check here for alternative ideas.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1