MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bananalogue VCS vs maths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Bananalogue VCS vs maths
infradead
i'm sure this has been covered but w/ the search not really working well i'm unable to find anything.

they look like they have a lot of overlap with maths giving a bit more bang for the buck.

but i'm not really sure, what i have found about the VCS seems pretty interesting.
ndkent
Well, bang for the buck you get 2 VC slope generating circuits with maths vs one on a VCS, a module that isn't produced very often unless you are after a used one.

To me, Maths saw the VCS, probably saw the high prices (they were the QMMGs of it's day) and did a module with 2 inside and added a few things.

I'm sure there might be some slight differences in range but having both I've never turned to the VCS because Maths couldn't do something. But I've never sold my VCS because I can always use a couple and who knows, maybe one day I'll find something it does that I can't do on a maths.

I think Bananalogue should even the score with Make Noise and put out at least 4 if not 8 LPGs on a module.
infradead
ndkent wrote:
Well, bang for the buck you get 2 VC slope generating circuits with maths vs one on a VCS, a module that isn't produced very often unless you are after a used one.

To me, Maths saw the VCS, probably saw the high prices (they were the QMMGs of it's day) and did a module with 2 inside and added a few things.

I'm sure there might be some slight differences in range but having both I've never turned to the VCS because Maths couldn't do something. But I've never sold my VCS because I can always use a couple and who knows, maybe one day I'll find something it does that I can't do on a maths.

I think Bananalogue should even the score with Make Noise and put out at least 4 if not 8 LPGs on a module.

thanks!!
Navs
I have both. Extra functions aside, the key differences are the VCS' AC-coupled output and 1V/O input.

The most musically useful difference for me is the ability to set different curves for rise and fall out of the box, without the need for extra patching. I usually want an log rise and exp fall, not both the same.

A subtle difference is the fact that the VCS offers more control over shorter times i.e. in the first 50% of the pot's throw. Longer times are easier to control on Maths.
theglyph
I'd like to add here that with two MATHS and a A143-1 I've kept my VCS and love it's additional nuttiness in my modular patches.

Comparing the VCS and the MATHS is difficult but I'll say that some of the features of the VCS give incredibly interesting functionality which can't be easily achieved, if at all, with the MATHS.

Please don't dismiss this module!
pixelmechanic
Yep, I've got both... Like the 'whip' that the maths has, but love the brutishness of the VCS too... VCS also feels less fragile and floppy knobbed (ooh-er missus) so it tends to be my go to guy for gigging.

+1 on Navs comments above too...
falafelbiels
Well, with people dishing out extra cash for alternative front panels for Mathsesses, 2 VCS isn't even that far off.
So VCS has the more conservative looks going for it...
I like the looks of both, but especially the VCS with the yellow in!

I have 1 and a half DIY VCS and I love it. Used a Maths once and I couldn't, how you say? "gel with it" and so dismissed it from then on

So I'd say they do work differently, but I can't tell you how or in what way, because obviously I didn't get it sad banana
D/A A/D
THIS:

You CAN do this with the Maths, but it sounds way WAY better with the VCS.
dogoftears
the VCS is a bit more high-res than the Maths. like Navs said above, there is an extremely wide fine-tuning range for the Rise parameter. this is quite essential when crafting precise percussive and bass elements.

in a general sense the VCS is the single nicest event generator i have heard in modular. there are many modules that offer similar functionality but do not sound as "perfect" to my ears. Envelator comes close but lacks envelope following (a feature i like to use a fair amount).
p3t0r
Also have both. Well I have the CCS VCS. Agree to most of the above. The only thing my VCS doesn't handle as well as my Maths is retriggering.
monstrinho
Does anyone know if there will be another run of the VCS made? Big City still has them listed on their site, but as a "pre-order" which is not indicative of anything, since half of the items on their site say "pre-order."
dogoftears
monstrinho wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be another run of the VCS made? Big City still has them listed on their site, but as a "pre-order" which is not indicative of anything, since half of the items on their site say "pre-order."

they've been coming up on BST fairly often as of late.
it is also a popular DIY build.
sorry to dodge your question, i don't know the hard facts but i doubt there will be another build.
Why Adapter
"Available soon" from Elby Designs: http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p732_CGS775_-_Serge_VCS.htm l
dogoftears
Why Adapter wrote:
"Available soon" from Elby Designs: http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p732_CGS775_-_Serge_VCS.htm l

i stand corrected.
nonbot
Isn't there a new VCS going to be released by some other company?
Bananalogue
Why Adapter wrote:

...thats news to me. looks an AWFUL lot like MY front panel design...
Bananalogue
anyway, save your money guys - all will be rendered moot when i launch:
http://sergesynthesizers.com/ later this year...
PhineasFreak
Bananalogue wrote:

that's frikken identical!

fwiw i love my bananalogue vcs and have stuck with it over maths for a long time now...smile
D/A A/D
Enjoy the show!
exper
Bananalogue wrote:
anyway, save your money guys - all will be rendered moot when i launch:
http://sergesynthesizers.com/ later this year...

Hmm. Are you making euro format serge modules? Sweet! ASR and SSG please!
arnoux
Oh no! So sad to see that the bananalogue VCS (btw my favorite looking module) is out of production! Why?

waah seriously, i just don't get it
Bananalogue
exper wrote:

Hmm. Are you making euro format serge modules?

yes.

exper wrote:
ASR and SSG please!

okay!

im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

i will update the sergesynthesizers.com website when modules become available.
exper
Zoinks! Sounds wonderful, now if only we could get Buchla to do the same!
monstrinho
Bananalogue wrote:
exper wrote:

Hmm. Are you making euro format serge modules?

yes.

exper wrote:
ASR and SSG please!

okay!

im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

Very, very cool. This kind of came out of nowhere, but it's really good news. Time to start saving!! Never maintain cash savings again
hank
Bananalogue wrote:

Interesting! I'd love to hear more about this. Is skiff friendliness a consideration at this stage?
dogoftears
Bananalogue wrote:

i am probably in the minority here but i would LOVE to see entire Serge PANELS converted to wide-HP euro modules. skiffish friendly and one power cable for the whole unit. could even aim for exact 86 HP wide modules to fit standard cases. and it would probably be cost friendly for everyone involved if you add up the expenses of individual modules for both the consumer and manufacturer.

completely just my 2 cents, but i've always fantasized of entire serge panels in euro format.
hank
dogoftears wrote:

i am probably in the minority here but i would LOVE to see entire Serge PANELS converted to wide-HP euro modules. skiffish friendly and one power cable for the whole unit. could even aim for exact 86 HP wide modules to fit standard cases. and it would probably be cost friendly for everyone involved if you add up the expenses of individual modules for both the consumer and manufacturer.

completely just my 2 cents, but i've always fantasized of entire serge panels in euro format.

Are you thinking along the lines of clarke68's panels, only bigger?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47067&start=0
dogoftears
hank wrote:
dogoftears wrote:

Are you thinking along the lines of clarke68's panels, only bigger?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47067&start=0

Yes, i've seen those and *love* the gestalt and aesthetics of them. such things tempt me to get back into DIY.
Why Adapter
Bananalogue wrote:
Why Adapter wrote:

Original thread about it was here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54758&highlight=elby

Can't wait to check out your new store!
mystico
Bananalogue wrote:
you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

eyes...
joey
mystico wrote:
Bananalogue wrote:
you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

eyes...

this is 100% absolutely some of the best news I have heard all year.
lysander
That is very exciting news!!
mhtones
Wow! woah This is fantastic news! I've been piecing together a wannabe serge-like euro setup using the closest equivalents.

Animoo please! thumbs up
Monobass
hank wrote:
Bananalogue wrote:

Interesting! I'd love to hear more about this. Is skiff friendliness a consideration at this stage?

It's 2012! of course they will be skiff friendly... ?
Entrainer
spliff friendly
daverj
dogoftears wrote:
Bananalogue wrote:

The original Serge modules were individual "modules" that you could mix and match behind a generic panel to get whatever combination that you wanted. And then for a while they were true modules. It seems appropriate for Bananalogue to re-release them as individual Euro modules and let you pick the combinations you like.

I would love to see some modules with multiples of the same function in one module, or certain combinations that compliment each other in single modules. But I doubt he would get enough demand for complete full width modules to make it worth manufacturing any that way. He's going to be stretched thin enough as it is making tons of different Serge modules.

And remember that the STS "shop panels" are not the way Serge sold his stuff. They are groupings that Rex/STS defined to make it cheaper and easier for him to manufacture so he doesn't have to mix and match the way Serge always did it.

Take a look at the 1982 Serge catalog for all the different modules Serge made. The combinations at the end are just examples, like the predefined Doepfer system 1 and 2. You weren't locked into those suggestions at all. Those were just examples for people that weren't sure what they wanted.

http://www.carbon111.com/serge1982.pdf

I have friends that have bought Serge (and STS) modules in all 4 decades, and they were pretty annoyed when STS cut off the ability to fill panels with whatever combination you wanted. Now Bananalogue is going to bring back freedom of choice!
Monobass
Seems like the original Serge spirit can gel well with the frankensynth to me!
madcap
I am soooo happy to read this. I lurk in the serge forum all the time and search soundcloud for serge . Loving that powerful sound.

This s going to be awesome Trampoline
Matos
So, for a total serge outsider, what modules do you feel really encompass the serge aesthetic of sound and design. I always thought the combined panel was part of the design and together it gave it it's famed sound and workflow.
shaft9000
this is GREAT news

but one thing:

BE SURE THESE EURO MODULES CAN BE e a s i l y CONVERTED TO OR ARE AVAILABLE WITH BANANA JACKS

it would be a big mistake for these to become skiff-friendly in exchange for not-banana friendly.

introducing Serge modules without all the advantages of nanners is already a feature cut - don't let it go one bit further, for love of god. euro already has a buttload of shortcomings at it is.

please honor thy name, Bananalogue
pas
shaft9000 wrote:
this is GREAT news

but one thing:

BE SURE THESE EURO MODULES CAN BE e a s i l y CONVERTED TO OR ARE AVAILABLE WITH BANANA JACKS

it would be a big mistake for these to become skiff-friendly in exchange for not-banana friendly.

introducing Serge modules without all the advantages of nanners is already a feature cut - don't let it go one bit further, for love of god. euro already has a buttload of shortcomings at it is.

Agreed &
what what! Great news, looking forward bananalogue w00t
jw112
Awesome news
richard
shaft9000 wrote:
this is GREAT news

but one thing:

well I was itching to post that but thought I'd better shutup. But being as shaft said it:

I agree!

Serge without nanas ain't Serge. for love of euro. god already has a buttload of shortcomings at it is
amnesia
WAD in euro will be killer!
falafelbiels
Euro has multiples, Serge don't!

hmmm.....
monstrinho
amnesia wrote:
WAD in euro will be killer!

"would"

...Even if the parts are there for it, it would have to be a _very_ limited run. I really would not count on this happening.
exper
Stackables my friend, stackables.
shaft9000
zombie

to start, you can't go in the side of stackables, and the contacts are just plain sad.

there are a myriad of reasons as to why bananas are the superior connector to 3.5mm, please be aware

i don't like raising the ire of devotees, and you should use what you like.
nor do i feel that many scenarios can ever be so objectively viewed - i.e. in this case, stackables just can't beat nanners. It's peanut butter jelly time!
richard
yea well, that is why I didn't bother - I don't want to get into all that again. Suffice to say, I like stackables and I use both stackables and banana jacks most days and - but for several reasons I already related ad nauseaum in other threads, I find the user-experience to be not really comparable.

All I will say: it would be nice to have the choice on purchase but failing that, easy conversion to banana is something that should be considered at the design stage.
gwaidan
dogoftears wrote:
Bananalogue wrote:

There are good reasons that wouldn;t work for the current panels-they are already very dense (1" x 0.8" grid with up to 8 pots per column), and losing that extra 1.75" of vertical space would mean something would have to give....
hiawog
this is utterly massive news.
Seracs
Not really, kinda cool, I guess. Probably wont match STS's build quality but whatever.
bwhittington
Seracs wrote:
Not really, kinda cool, I guess. Probably wont match STS's build quality but whatever.

Do you mean these new modules might have their pcbs attached to the panels by something other than zip ties? lol I love me some Serge, but be real. Until you know more, the new line could *possibly* be the best incarnation of Serge ever. Or possibly not. As you say, "whatever."

But Serge Tcherepnin is Serge to me, not Rex, and word of it possibly heading back to its roots--didn't someone say DIY, too?--is quite exciting.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. Serge, Modcan, and Synthtech in Euro . . . SlayerBadger!
BananaPlug
Enjoy the show! This will be interesting. I can see plenty of things for all the various camps to get upset/excited about. I think I'll keep quiet until Bananalogue has more to tell us.

nanners applause
HueMonContact
I totally agree with shaft9000 it's gotta have nanners to give you the full serge experience.
I wonder if this means we may get a TKB in euro.

@Matos I think the VCFQ and WAD are at the top of my list for the signature Serge sound.
radiodread87
Just ordered one of the VCS from Seth looking forward to it w00t w00t SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo
amnesia
Just had confirmation from Ken Stone who is the maker of the PCB's that it will be euro format jacks ( no banana) Also no WAD impossible parts to get.
subterryanean
Great news!

Some of the heavy hitters have really nice "work alikes" in euro, but it'd be really killer for the real circuits to be brought into the euro format.

I'd really like to see the VCQF and all three sections of the Wave Mult in euro. DUSG/DTG and SSG would be great too, although there are some high quality modules out there already that were inspired/have similar functionlity to them (Maths, Sport Mod). /N Comp would go great with all the clocking options out there these days, Random Generator would be lovely.

Of course the WAD and Frequency Shifter would be a dream, but that's not going to happen.
hank
The DUSG seems to me like the sergiest/most appealing to me. Maths notwithstanding.
franzschuier
VCQF with Pulse in PLEASE! (Not that I dont like the 1973 design, but the Q-FILTER in its full glory is nicer)
Monobass
Seracs wrote:

What is the problem you have with Bananalogue module builds?
I have used Bananlogue modules and the build quality seemed good.

on the other hand, there seem to be a lot of people in the Serge forum who certainly don't equate STS with build quality... I've never used an STS module so I can't comment directly.

So I'm not really sure where you are coming from, care to elaborate with more detail?
nickster
This is great news. Bringing these designs into Euro will be on the whole a very good thing. DIY options too make this really attractive to those who either like to tinker or those who like to stretch their . Hats off to Bananalogue and CGS. nanners
ringstone
bwhittington wrote:
PS. Serge, Modcan, and Synthtech in Euro . . .

And I wonder what the fourth sign of the Apocalypse might be???? hihi

Cheers
Blair
exper
ringstone wrote:
bwhittington wrote:
PS. Serge, Modcan, and Synthtech in Euro . . .

And I wonder what the fourth sign of the Apocalypse might be???? hihi

Cheers
Blair

Fourth sign? Buchla's new parent company will force Don to make euro format modules. Then hmmm..... help
Count Edlington
This is awesome news but please, please make the spacing of the knobs, inputs etc the same as the original Serge, obviously the layout will be different due to it being 3U but don't make it cramped to save HP, I'm really not digging how fiddly some of these modules are, I'd rather buy more cases.......
Monobass
Count Edlington wrote:
This is awesome news but please, please make the spacing of the knobs, inputs etc the same as the original Serge, obviously the layout will be different due to it being 3U but don't make it cramped to save HP, I'm really not digging how fiddly some of these modules are, I'd rather buy more cases.......

+1
richard
Quote:
PCB's that it will be euro format jacks ( no banana)

then I repeat, I hope some thought could at least be given to easy convertibility.

But I don't see much hope of either Serge spacing or layouts being maintained - in fact I don't understand the desire for that. And as for copying something the Animal panel (that is an STS design not Serge) and cloning it as a europanel would not be very ethical. In fact is clear these will not be Serge panels or modules, they will be Serge circuits in euro rack format modules. That is great for euro guys to get a bit more of the Serge thing already have but if you want a more complete Serge experience or are thinking of a complete Serge system I'd still plan on buying STS or going DIY using Serge format - or some combination. As long as the DIY Serge options carry on expanding that is a far more important to me than runs of Serge in eurorack in the long run. Personally I will end up with:

Serge in Serge Format (STS and vintage panels)
Serge in Euro format (Bananalogue, also Toppobrillo, Plan B etc)
DIY Serge in Euro format (banana)
DIY Serge in 4U format (best of CGS panels)

bring it on!

One nice thing is that quite a few current modules already more or less pinch Serge circuits without permission, including some rather popular ones, but Serge doesn't get a penny for these. I don't want to discuss the ethics of that, there are arguments both ways, but these "legitimate" reissues with proper licensing seem a better way to go for me personally. However, I wouldn't mind some simple improvements being made on the way: the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator, while clearly a rip of the Serge SSG, also rethinks it and is arguably a better module for that.
Navs
richard wrote:
...the Toppobrillo Sport Modulator, while clearly a rip of the Serge SSG, also rethinks it and is arguably a better module for that.

This is true of the TWF & Maths too.
Ƶl8®
Would be cool with the old design geometrics.... instead of STS style.

I always wanted a NTO in euro...... Lotsa Love
felixer
richard wrote:
Quote:
it will be euro format jacks ( no banana)

these will not be Serge panels or modules, they will be Serge circuits in euro rack format modules.

as it should be in euro.
if you want banana's and/or full panels: give rex a call Mr. Green
serge always sounds very clean, pure and strong to me. hope this will also be the case for any euro versions. connectors, knobs, colour have nothing to do with that.
joey
I've got both serge and euro and this seems like nothing but a GREAT idea to me...

if you think bananas are required for the "serge experience" you are severely mistaken... stackables work just as well, and the most important part of said experience is the SOUND.

literally nothing bad can come from this.
theglyph
I drink some beers (bourbon), have a great time with my VCS, make a few comments about it and a format war emerges. Welcome to the internet.
hihi
shaft9000
format-wars are lame and bogus.
but bring on the 'connector cable war'! nanners

c'mon... How Hurt Can Feelings Get here over a stupid plug/cable ??

joey wrote:
if you think bananas are required for the "serge experience" you are severely mistaken.... stackables work just as well

zombie

Joey
....respectfully,

they may work your bank account more.
oh, and your patience, too: http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/stackcable/

But 'just as well'? Do you really believe that?

in my experience, it's not close at all:

1. only one manufacturer and no DIY available afaik. nanners are easy as pie to make, and if you don't want to they are often readily available in any larger city. they're standard lab equipment.

2. jacks have pathetically lousy contact surface vs. banana. it's like 500% smaller, and governed by ~ a gram of metal in a thin strip. i loves me euro, but let's face it -3.5mm belongs on transistor radios and iPods. yes, they are OK - i don't "dislike" them. but we can do much better.

3. the jacks are musically useful in performance - easily 'mutes and plays' with confidence - you need only play the edge and don't have to go all the way into the jack. this may make more of a difference than you may suspect, depending on your style.

people that have never used nanners won't be conscious of this - and it's sort of a 'fish out of water moment' when you go back to 3.5mm, or going from a sports car to a VW bug - because euro jacks have the dilemma of being either too loose for a confident connection(cliffs), or the tight-as-fuck newer ones that are for all intents UNPLAYABLE in real-time. there is little middle-ground - perhaps someone will get it to 'feel right' but that still won't change the fact you have to shove it all the way in to make contact. - which limits 3.5mm jack-playability to something like ~8th notes around 100bpm.
nanners don't get in the way like that. just play the edges! nanners

4. reliable reliable reliable....and a cinch to fix based on simple design(you'd have to smash or melt them, i think... i haven't found out what kills a nanner yet).

my first 3U of Analogue Systems had a bent contact in the RS-40 S&N/Noise module, brand new from BCM. no such issue can occur in banana as the contact takes up the entire interior of the jack.

5. stackables droop quickly in vertical config. due to the low contact area and no facility to patch into the side of the cable.

6. stackables cost more, and are rarely available on B/S/T.

7. Some of this may be subjective, but the silicone-wrapped Pomona wire rules. they are far more pleasant to use in vertical racks than the usual PVC-type. they feel better, don't distract as much visually, and resist melting/warping at much higher temperatures vs PVC.

nothing i mean nothing beats DIY nanners, imho. make them as long or short as you like, do combo 3.5mm-nanner cables, 1/4-nanners etc. mogami shmami,

i'd reckon that Modularland or BananaPlug could give another half-dozen or so reasons.
joey
Shaft, I read your long post, and though you make some really great points, I still think its such a small difference that it literally does not matter.

I can patch both systems back to back and not care about the type of cable or connector...
avinopsv
joey wrote:
Shaft, I read your long post

get it, shaft's long post

razz
richard
of course there is a difference between stackables and bananas. An experiment:

Put 20 banana cables in a bucket and jump up and down on them for 5 minutes. Then plug them into your synth, chance are they will all still work.

Put 20 stackables (or any other minijack cables) in the same bucket jump up and down on them for 5 minutes. Then throw them away and order another 20 cables.
radiodread87
Just got a Bananalogue VCS today from Seth, Wow, great build quality, well laid out and easy to understand and most of all functionally excellent.

Theres something about this module "musical" springs to mind, useful functions seem to just leap out of it no matter what I do.

Maths is a great module, and I have one but theres something about this VCS, it seems different in a good way. Must explore it further but so far I absolutely love it!

Thanks Seth!
shaft9000
speaking of VCS and bananas, i modded mine just the other day

avinopsv
please forgive my n00b but what are the longer shafts coming out of the nanners there for?

shaft9000 wrote:
speaking of VCS and bananas, i modded mine just the other day

amnesia
just different banana cables.
philippe
this is all great news... one thing: has anyone here ever had serge tcherepnin himself on the phone or so (as there's no web/mail anyway), or does anyone how to order real original serge modules fresh from the "factory"? I have a 4 module-system already, one or 2 more modules (or cabinets or whatever you would call it) would be quite nice smile but as I said: I find no way to get in contact with anyone at sound transform systems...
daverj
philippe wrote:
this is all great news... one thing: has anyone here ever had serge tcherepnin himself on the phone or so (as there's no web/mail anyway), or does anyone how to order real original serge modules fresh from the "factory"? I have a 4 module-system already, one or 2 more modules (or cabinets or whatever you would call it) would be quite nice smile but as I said: I find no way to get in contact with anyone at sound transform systems...

Serge himself has not made modules for many years, and is not part of Sound Transform Systems. He moved back to France many years ago.

STS is run by Rex Probe. (262) 367-3030
pavementsands
Finished my Panther VCS today. It's bloody great!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4