Bananalogue VCS vs maths

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Bananalogue VCS vs maths

Post by infradead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:12 am

i'm sure this has been covered but w/ the search not really working well i'm unable to find anything.

they look like they have a lot of overlap with maths giving a bit more bang for the buck.

but i'm not really sure, what i have found about the VCS seems pretty interesting.
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 am

Well, bang for the buck you get 2 VC slope generating circuits with maths vs one on a VCS, a module that isn't produced very often unless you are after a used one.

To me, Maths saw the VCS, probably saw the high prices (they were the QMMGs of it's day) and did a module with 2 inside and added a few things.

I'm sure there might be some slight differences in range but having both I've never turned to the VCS because Maths couldn't do something. But I've never sold my VCS because I can always use a couple and who knows, maybe one day I'll find something it does that I can't do on a maths.

I think Bananalogue should even the score with Make Noise and put out at least 4 if not 8 LPGs on a module.

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 am

ndkent wrote:Well, bang for the buck you get 2 VC slope generating circuits with maths vs one on a VCS, a module that isn't produced very often unless you are after a used one.

To me, Maths saw the VCS, probably saw the high prices (they were the QMMGs of it's day) and did a module with 2 inside and added a few things.

I'm sure there might be some slight differences in range but having both I've never turned to the VCS because Maths couldn't do something. But I've never sold my VCS because I can always use a couple and who knows, maybe one day I'll find something it does that I can't do on a maths.

I think Bananalogue should even the score with Make Noise and put out at least 4 if not 8 LPGs on a module.
thanks!!
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:22 am

I have both. Extra functions aside, the key differences are the VCS' AC-coupled output and 1V/O input.

The most musically useful difference for me is the ability to set different curves for rise and fall out of the box, without the need for extra patching. I usually want an log rise and exp fall, not both the same.

A subtle difference is the fact that the VCS offers more control over shorter times i.e. in the first 50% of the pot's throw. Longer times are easier to control on Maths.

theglyph
Maybe it was eat me?

Post by theglyph » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm

I'd like to add here that with two MATHS and a A143-1 I've kept my VCS and love it's additional nuttiness in my modular patches.

Comparing the VCS and the MATHS is difficult but I'll say that some of the features of the VCS give incredibly interesting functionality which can't be easily achieved, if at all, with the MATHS.

Please don't dismiss this module!
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Melvin Udall

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Yep, I've got both... Like the 'whip' that the maths has, but love the brutishness of the VCS too... VCS also feels less fragile and floppy knobbed (ooh-er missus) so it tends to be my go to guy for gigging.

+1 on Navs comments above too...

falafelbiels
still learning to wiggle

Post by falafelbiels » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Well, with people dishing out extra cash for alternative front panels for Mathsesses, 2 VCS isn't even that far off.
So VCS has the more conservative looks going for it...
I like the looks of both, but especially the VCS with the yellow in!

I have 1 and a half DIY VCS and I love it. Used a Maths once and I couldn't, how you say? "gel with it" and so dismissed it from then on

So I'd say they do work differently, but I can't tell you how or in what way, because obviously I didn't get it :sadbanana:

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 pm

THIS:
[video][/video]

You CAN do this with the Maths, but it sounds way WAY better with the VCS.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:50 pm

the VCS is a bit more high-res than the Maths. like Navs said above, there is an extremely wide fine-tuning range for the Rise parameter. this is quite essential when crafting precise percussive and bass elements.

in a general sense the VCS is the single nicest event generator i have heard in modular. there are many modules that offer similar functionality but do not sound as "perfect" to my ears. Envelator comes close but lacks envelope following (a feature i like to use a fair amount).
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

p3t0r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by p3t0r » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Also have both. Well I have the CCS VCS. Agree to most of the above. The only thing my VCS doesn't handle as well as my Maths is retriggering.
Mix of vintage and Eurorack and Buchla. Some sounds at: http://soundcloud.com/p3t0r

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Does anyone know if there will be another run of the VCS made? Big City still has them listed on their site, but as a "pre-order" which is not indicative of anything, since half of the items on their site say "pre-order."

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 pm

monstrinho wrote:Does anyone know if there will be another run of the VCS made? Big City still has them listed on their site, but as a "pre-order" which is not indicative of anything, since half of the items on their site say "pre-order."
they've been coming up on BST fairly often as of late.
it is also a popular DIY build.
sorry to dodge your question, i don't know the hard facts but i doubt there will be another build.

Why Adapter
Tick Mark Legend

Post by Why Adapter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm

"Available soon" from Elby Designs: http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en ... e_VCS.html

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Why Adapter wrote:"Available soon" from Elby Designs: http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en ... e_VCS.html
i stand corrected.

nonbot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nonbot » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Isn't there a new VCS going to be released by some other company?

Bananalogue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bananalogue » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:18 am

Why Adapter wrote:"Available soon" from Elby Designs: http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en ... e_VCS.html
...thats news to me. looks an AWFUL lot like MY front panel design...

Bananalogue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bananalogue » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:24 am

anyway, save your money guys - all will be rendered moot when i launch:
http://sergesynthesizers.com/ later this year...

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 am

Bananalogue wrote:...thats news to me. looks an AWFUL lot like MY front panel design...
that's frikken identical!

fwiw i love my bananalogue vcs and have stuck with it over maths for a long time now...:)

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:27 am

:popcorn:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:05 am

Bananalogue wrote:anyway, save your money guys - all will be rendered moot when i launch:
http://sergesynthesizers.com/ later this year...

Hmm. Are you making euro format serge modules? Sweet! ASR and SSG please!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T Mackie QU-16C Digital Mixer/Interface
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
FS/T: Intellijel 1U Midi & Audio IO
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

arnoux
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by arnoux » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Oh no! So sad to see that the bananalogue VCS (btw my favorite looking module) is out of production! Why?

:waah: :despair:

Bananalogue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bananalogue » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:21 pm

exper wrote: Hmm. Are you making euro format serge modules?
yes.
exper wrote:ASR and SSG please!
okay!

im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

i will update the sergesynthesizers.com website when modules become available.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Zoinks! Sounds wonderful, now if only we could get Buchla to do the same!
FS/T Mackie QU-16C Digital Mixer/Interface
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
FS/T: Intellijel 1U Midi & Audio IO

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Bananalogue wrote:
exper wrote: Hmm. Are you making euro format serge modules?
yes.
exper wrote:ASR and SSG please!
okay!

im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.
Very, very cool. This kind of came out of nowhere, but it's really good news. Time to start saving!! :moneyburn:

hank
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hank » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Bananalogue wrote:im not giving any time table, but you will see "serge" brand euro rack modules and instrument pedals from me in the coming months. they are fully endorsed by serge tcherepnin himself, with royalties paid to him for his designs. good karma all around.

i will update the sergesynthesizers.com website when modules become available.
Interesting! I'd love to hear more about this. Is skiff friendliness a consideration at this stage?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”