MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author FlopSeq Sequencer Board [Updates]
asterisk
id love to get a euro panel for this too!
im hoping to make a temporary panel for this soon. im curious as to how large your panel would be and how to arrange the 8 steps. im thinking of doing two columns of 4 next to each other instead of a longer row of 8.

---

ive thought about using an ON-OFF-ON switch for the switch needed here.

also, this is useful information that dustin shared with me about the switch wiring.

pin 1 & 4 = forward (1-8)
pin 3 & 4 = backward (8-1)
open = ping pong

so it seems to me that an ON-OFF-ON switch would work. OFF would be open for ping pong and the two ON positions should work for forward and backward. im going to test it out today. ill let you know if it works or not. this is a cool little sequencer and a nice easy build. mine worked straight away.
J3RK
I'm thinking about doing a little companion board for this. I won't have the time to do the big MCU-based one for some time, so I thought this might be fun. Basically it would be an 8-step sequential switch, so that you could route each stage's CV level to a different place in the modular.

I was thinking this might be nice for doing pseudo drum-machine work, where you could send a certain CV pitch to a digital noise source, send another to the same source at a different pitch, control an oscillator or two for a kick, etc. but all in time. Mix all the sources through a mixer/fader.

I just started thinking about this, and other ways to get a bit more out of this sequencer. It should be terribly difficult, so I'll try to work that out over the next few weeks. (a few other items will need to wrap up first though)
Jarno
Yet another Flopseq!

Worked on first startup, I did change some small stuff to make wiring simpler. The GND connections of the leds and pots are bussed, as well as v+ on the pots, saves you quite a bit of wiring :-)

The resistors R1-8 are going in the led positions and leds are connection from one of the resistor pads.
I used 220pf for C1, and all bypass caps are 100nf smt, R1-8 are 560r and leds are very bright (high brightness red leds).

Connections for the rotary switch seen from below.
Left is common, then reverse-pingpong-forward.
ringstone
J3RK wrote:
I would be happy to do another run of these sometime during the summer. I'm a little behind on shipping things right now though, so it will have to be after the Fader boards ship in a couple of weeks.


Yes please! I missed out on the last run...

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: and just read negativspace is thinking about doing panels so... SlayerBadger!
Jarno
By the way, connections to the pots are v+ near the edge of the PCB, GND is furthest inward, wipers are middle pad (of course).
There are surprisingly little builds of the flopseq (imho) are more people working on this?
janvanvolt
if negativspace doing panels, count me in for two PCBs of the next run.
asterisk
ive built mine. just waiting on some blank panels to panel it up. hopefully soon. ill post some pics and audio. mine works great. i love it!
asterisk
so it seems that its easy to get individual gate outs from each step which is great news.

is it possible to add switches to turn on/off gate output for each step coming out of the master gate output from the PCB?

just wondering how to go about NOT having 8 more jacks for the individual gate outputs for each step. itd be nice to be able to turn on/off each step with a switch and have that gate pattern mix of ons/offs coming out of a single jack output. would it just be a matter of mixing the 8 indvidual gate outs down to 1 jack output with switches for each step to turn it off or on?

does this make any sense? has anyone tried this yet?

im hoping to get my flopSEQ behind a panel soon. looks like itll fit nicely parallel at 16HP.
Jarno
In a lot of of sequencers (4017 based) that's what's happing, individual gates which are mixed. Been looking at somehow building this in the existing circuitry but that's not going to be easy. So I built it straight up, and will build something else with switches for the gates.
Memory_Leak
Hopeful negativspace will do some panels, put me down for PCB of the next run.
asterisk
finally finished up building / wiring and putting my flopSEQ behind a panel tonight. i ended up adding individual gate outputs for each of the 8 steps which is really great to have!

here is a little test patch i made with it this evening:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/greg-davis/flopseq-test-052012[/s]

picture of the module coming soon......
have any of you guys built this thing yet? id love to hear / see what you did with it.
its a great little sequencer. thanks dustin!
Rod Serling Fan Club
asterisk - great sounding patch

Since you found the place to break-out the individual gates, presumably this is the point before they are summed. Wouldn't it be as simple as adding an SPST on-off switch to break this conenction if you wanted to control which gates go to the summed output?
303monkey
ringstone wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I would be happy to do another run of these sometime during the summer. I'm a little behind on shipping things right now though, so it will have to be after the Fader boards ship in a couple of weeks.


Yes please! I missed out on the last run...

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: and just read negativspace is thinking about doing panels so... SlayerBadger!


Count me in too please.
Boba Fett
asterisk
im not sure about adding switches, i didnt try that. ive been happy with having the individual gate ouputs. its nice to use different steps to trigger other events. in my patch above, i have steps 6 and 8 triggering the two channels on my maths which are going to VCAs...etc etc....

im not sure where the gates get summed for the main gate outputs. someone should try it out though. maybe it is that simple!

for me it was either having switches on each step and having one master gate output jack. or having jacks on each step and being able to send the separate gates from each step to different places in my synth. i obviously decided on the latter and im really enjoying it.

having said all of that, does anyone know of a really simple way to convert gates to triggers? a simple circuit would be helpful. i might want to change my gate outs to trigger outs.
cleaninglady
Just finished mine.

At present , it's a ghetto tech version in a Hammond box.

Haven't worked out powering it but it runs and works 100% when plugged into the modular power.

Looking into CGS60 Stomp Box Adapter today to try and get it going but i'm not sure if thats the right way to go. hmmm.....

Is there a thread that discusses powering 12V modules with a Wall Wart somewhere ?

Thanks to asterisk for the help on the Switch.

I went with the on/off/on switch option.

Can't wait for the panel from negativspace !

Would be great to get this into my system. Guinness ftw!
regularjackson
Does anybody have an extra board/ will there be another run?
Lyncaster
Im wondering rhe same
J3RK
I'd be happy to do another run sometime soon. I'm almost done shipping the crossfaders, at which point I'll feel good about starting another run/project. I'm glad people are finding this fun to use! I've got some possible companion designs that might be kind of fun with it too.

Nice demo Greg!
Rod Serling Fan Club
On the subject of companion designs. will these be seperate PCBs or a new updated PCB? The flip-flop sequencer has been a popular request for a buchla style panel. I have that panel design near completion with the current standard features. I am wondering if I should hold off on ordering panels until we know more about the companion features.
J3RK
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
On the subject of companion designs. will these be seperate PCBs or a new updated PCB? The flip-flop sequencer has been a popular request for a buchla style panel. I have that panel design near completion with the current standard features. I am wondering if I should hold off on ordering panels until we know more about the companion features.


It would actually be fairly trivial to combine a few of these into one board. Maybe a clock, clock divider, logic, and the sequencer?

I've got two options currently for logic. I've got the Compute board, which is undergoing a few updates/improvements, which contains NOT, AND, OR, and XOR. However, it's geared strictly toward logic level functions.

I also have an XOR circuit that will take just about anything at the inputs (comparators) and then output both a logic level output, and a bipolar audio output. It's more flexible, but obviously minus three other logic operations. I'd still lean toward this guy though I think.

I've been working on a board that has all four operations with the logic and audio outs, but it's going to be 4"x4" to squeeze the extra parts on, and doesn't quite line up with my X"x3" board standard.

I'm open to suggestions with this.
raisinbag
Hmm missed this one I'd be game to grab a floppy seq if you do a run.
FrankV
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
The flip-flop sequencer has been a popular request for a buchla style panel. I have that panel design near completion with the current standard features.


Out of curiosity, have you made the design public?

I've done a funky/fanciful circular one that presumes a separate pulse output (as well as the gate, expecting to use the Ken Stone Gate-to-pulse circuit) and an on-board clock, possibly voltage controllable (pending further experiments).

So, my fantasy panel looks sorta like this (the circular and radial lines by the 8 pots and LEDs are/were guides, not expected to be present on the final panel):


I'd be keen to see your version, of course... 8_)

Frank
J3RK
I worked up some PCBs last night for something along these lines. I'll have to take a closer look at panel connections/controls to make sure I didn't overdo it on that side of things.

There are two 3"x"5" boards. Between the two of them, they include:

-Dual clock
-Simple /2/3/4 clock divider
-XOR (accepts just about any input, and outputs both bipolar audio, and logic level signals)
-Simple gate to trigger converter
-One loopable AD envelope
-FlopSeq08

These features can be swapped out for others, but they all seemed to fit nicely on the boards, and would work nicely together. seriously, i just don't get it

Any thoughts?

These are more or less ready to get test boards ordered, but I'd love a bit of input on it. I'm not sure if the looping AD is the best choice, but with it in place, this module would only need a sound source and amplifier or gate to get some interesting sounds and rhythms going.

Another idea for that "slot" might be a simple logic AND or OR, or maybe something else entirely.

The previous version can be run again at any time as well for something simpler.
Rod Serling Fan Club
FrankV wrote:
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
I have that panel design near completion with the current standard features.


Out of curiosity, have you made the design public?


I like your circular design. Here is what I posted in the buchla panel discussion thread. It's meant to look like the buchla 123 module and features 2 flopseqs. It's probably not clear but there would be row of LEDs then a row of knobs which account for all the holes.

Rod Serling Fan Club
J3RK wrote:
I worked up some PCBs last night for something along these lines. I'll have to take a closer look at panel connections/controls to make sure I didn't overdo it on that side of things.

There are two 3"x"5" boards. Between the two of them, they include:

-Dual clock
-Simple /2/3/4 clock divider
-XOR (accepts just about any input, and outputs both bipolar audio, and logic level signals)
-Simple gate to trigger converter
-One loopable AD envelope
-FlopSeq08

These features can be swapped out for others, but they all seemed to fit nicely on the boards, and would work nicely together. seriously, i just don't get it

Any thoughts?

These are more or less ready to get test boards ordered, but I'd love a bit of input on it. I'm not sure if the looping AD is the best choice, but with it in place, this module would only need a sound source and amplifier or gate to get some interesting sounds and rhythms going.

Another idea for that "slot" might be a simple logic AND or OR, or maybe something else entirely.


Sounds like some nice features.

My only concern would be that I think there are a bunch of us that have slopseq boards. Buying new boards that contain the flopseq is a bit redundant. Can you say which features are on the PCB that doesn't include the flopseq? Maybe if the boards are offered separately, those of up with original flopseqs can choose to supplement them with the add-on PCB that doesn't include the flopseq.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 4 of 10
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group