MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

On cheap parts...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author On cheap parts...
Jarno
So, I regularly order stuff at Dealextreme, mostly mobile phone stuff, chargers, cables, noticed some interesting components there, trimpots, jack sockets, rca plugs and 3.5mm jack plugs.

Ordered a bunch of stuff, all different trimpot values and the 3.5mm jacks.
Didn't have the chance to try out the trimpots, but I did try to make cables from the jacks (metal jacks, 20pcs for 8USD shipped worldwide).

Bottomline, you may want to steer clear of these. I didn't manage to reliably solder anything to the contacts, so I am going to chuck the lot.
kjackman
Thanks for the warning.

Maybe we should start a list of "suppliers to avoid" on the Muff's Wiki Parts Suppliers Page
Jarno
Didn't realise there was such a thing, and it could use some additional suppliers, but a good idea.
Peake
Yeah, avoid cheap jacks. If it's mechanical, invest in quality. Can you imagine a year down the road and your entire system starts becoming intermittent?
Jarno
Well, i was expecting them to be a little rough around the edges but still useable. I don't mind a cheap housing withouta fancy logo, if the contacts are ok. But this is just really lousy, and working for a connector firm, I wonder what kind of factory is turning out stuff like this, it is likely that they know the material doesn't lend itself to soldering.
Peake
Sorry to hear it. I've had at least one similar experience from investing in a bargain :(
samuraipizzacat29
Peake wrote:
Yeah, avoid cheap jacks. If it's mechanical, invest in quality.

i'm guessing all of us here buy jacks by the 100s at least, right? well I thought I was smart and bought them cheap (futurlec, tayda).... terrible idea. both batches were junk. Therefore, I spent about $50 in an attempt to save $10. stick with mouser 16pj138 or erthenvar.

plus I liked his statement "if it's mechnical, invest in quality." so thought I'd requote it screaming goo yo
Moog$FooL$
kjackman wrote:
Thanks for the warning.

Maybe we should start a list of "suppliers to avoid" on the Muff's Wiki Parts Suppliers Page

good idea. thumbs up

i notice smallbear is not on the list of "good" suppliers. hmmm.....
Jarno
And Rapid is also not there, still a good supplier, used to be great when they had 10GBP international shipping, they are back up to 30 or something now, unfortunately.
raisinbag
+1 for ethenvar. I did the math on tayda jacks and you get a way better jack from ethenvar for same price.
ultrashock
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-5mm-m-m-audio-jack-connection-cable-78c m-22268
nice Apple-style patch-cables, anyway....
anyone tried that ones?
or gold plated:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gold-plated-3-5mm-m-m-audio-jack-connecti on-cable-19cm-34115
Jarno
Didn't try those two, but a couple of others, and quality was ok. But, cables from Paia and Erthenvar cost less, and are of a more predkctable quality.
fonik
you always get what you pay for!? (hides)
fonik
however, there are gems out there (i.e. erthenvar), just keep looking out...
mark_olson
fonik wrote:
you always get what you pay for!? (hides)

Sad but true.
aladan
kjackman wrote:
Thanks for the warning.

I just added a few good suppliers, based on my experiences. I'm only the second editor of the page; it would be nice if everyone shared their favourite vendors with the rest of us - that's what Wiki is all about 8_)
Memory_Leak
has anyone used dipmicro.com ????
astroschnautzer
http://www.tme.eu seems to be very cheap, anybody tried it?

EDIT: Seems to be cheap atleast for resistors and slide pots..... not everything....
Jarno
It seems the caps are normal cost, PCB mount pots are pretty expensive even.
But they do have a lot of stuff, a handy website, are located in europe. They also have the Ersa soldering tips I was looking for.

Has anyone overhere ordered at those guys?
ringstone
Jarno wrote:
Bottomline, you may want to steer clear of these. I didn't manage to reliably solder anything to the contacts, so I am going to chuck the lot.

From experience, you can get a reliable solder connection to these cheap jacks if you file off the plating on the contacts back to bare metal. Tin any exposed areas with solder once you have soldered the wires to the contacts.

Here in Australia they were pretty much the only jacks available at a reasonable cost for DIY for many years from local electronics vendors (Dick Smith, Jaycar). They ranged in quality from just passable to absolutely deplorable (metal contacts so thin they would bend at a finger touch). Fortunately we can get better quality jacks (Neutrik) at a reasonable price from vendors such as Farnell now. As the older jacks wear out I replace them.

They still sell the cheap crap though... seriously, i just don't get it

Cheers
Blair
theabsent
astroschnautzer wrote:
http://www.tme.eu seems to be very cheap, anybody tried it?

EDIT: Seems to be cheap atleast for resistors and slide pots..... not everything....

I've used them a couple of times. No problems.
HueMonContact
+1 for ethenvar... great quality and really fast shipping.
Lockheed
TME is good European (€) supplier for most parts, nice prices and quick delivery. Their selection is very good too (except for pots and jacks, better go Musikding or Banzai Music for these).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1