Group Buy Round 7: Switchcraft 112AX, 1/4", solder lugs

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

marvkaye
Wiggling with Experience

Post by marvkaye » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:46 am

Yep, these are the correct Jacks for the 5U 266 boards from Roman. You'll notice that the pads are oval shaped
and the solder lugs go right through. I tried some and they fit just fine.

<marv>

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 pm

marvkaye wrote:Yep, these are the correct Jacks for the 5U 266 boards from Roman. You'll notice that the pads are oval shaped and the solder lugs go right through. I tried some and they fit just fine.
I stand corrected, sorry for that. I hadn't seen the actual PCB. Guess I should ask first next time, sorry :despair:
boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Getting ready for last call. New England is dangerously low on jacks :waah:

Hop on for the ride.

*edit--negate I'll PM you tonight after the little ones are tucked in.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

jaidee
Common Wiggler

Post by jaidee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

"Does it use board mounted jacks? IF so, then no. These are the solder lug version."

"Yep, these are the correct Jacks for the 5U 266 boards from Roman. You'll notice that the pads are oval shaped"

Thanks guys!

moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Are we over 500 yet? I'm in for 100, but don't have much more than 125$ to spare atm.

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Yep. Definitely over 500. 100 is $143.15 shipped at the 500 price point. 75 is $108.65 shipped.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 am

I will stop taking payments at 3am eastern time on Friday August 24th in the year 2012.

Last call folks.

PM me for info on how to pay.
Brian

boothnavy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boothnavy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:00 pm

3am can't come soon enough...

boothnavy - synthesist

www.analogcraftsman.com

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 am

That is the saddest picture ever ^^^ :lol:

Round 4 is closed. Money is transferring from PayPal. Ordering will be Sunday night or Monday most likely with delivery to me next Wed or Thursday. After I bless each jack, they'll be in the mail! :hihi:
Brian

303monkey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 303monkey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am

Am I too late to go in on this one?

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:21 am

decaying.sine wrote:That is the saddest picture ever ^^^ :lol:

Round 4 is closed. Money is transferring from PayPal. Ordering will be Sunday night or Monday most likely with delivery to me next Wed or Thursday. After I bless each jack, they'll be in the mail! :hihi:
Excellent! Can't wait - my stash looks just as sad.

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:26 am

Forgot to let everyone know the jacks are one the way to my place.
:fap:
Brian

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:28 pm

Jacks are supposed to arrive on upcoming Tuesday. Monday is a holiday.
Brian

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks for the update! :bananaguitar:

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 am

All jacks from Round 4 are shipped. We had about 600 ordered from Wigglers besides myself.
Couple things...
I DO have a few extras this time around. I bought around 800 so I can spare a few here and there. If you need some let me know.

Also, if you ever are shorted a nut or washer, all you have to do is PM me. I buy Switchcraft nuts/washers from Mouser to have on hand in case this happens so I'll always have your back! Funny details, most of you know, the Switchcraft nut is duller and less polished than the typical nut you'd get from Mouser. I thought I'd prefer to have my nuts polished but after seeing the Switchcraft ones... wait, WHAT? :eek:

We're on to round 5. I suspect it will be November or December for the order unless there is a need. If there is, let me know.

In about three weeks, I'll need to purchase some Alco knobs. These don't lend themselves to group buys so much but if you are interested let me know. I have some PMs from folks who wanted knobs so I'll contact you before I order.

BI/TT pots. I have a bunch here. I want to do a group buy for these, but I was not happy with the prices that were being offered by the vendors which were worse than what you could get at Digikey. Only problem is that if you order at Digikey, beyond what they have in stock, there is a 3 month lead period. I haven't thought about this too much since I have enough for my current builds, but I guess I'll venture down that road again soon too.
Brian

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:56 am

For the nerds...
I'm not officially keeping track, but the total cost of jacks without the group buy for Rounds 1-4 would be around $12,000. The actual price for us has been around ~$5000.

Yay group buys!
Brian

negate
Common Wiggler

Post by negate » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Yay to you Brian, you made it happen. Cheers.

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Got the jacks Brian, looks great, all there. Thank you for putting this together. :yay:

One oddity. I noticed some jacks have the name switchcraft molded on them, while others do not. Have you noticed this? I wonder why, perhaps different batches? All my older switchcraft jacks have either the name or logo on them. Any ideas?? :hmm:

George

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Hey we forgot one thing. What about the switchcraft internal tooth lock washer? (p/n P-1014-9X) I need 180 of em! Maybe you can organize a group buy for those? :hail: :hail: The price sweet spot is > 5000! :lol:

George

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:15 am

groovyshaman wrote:Hey we forgot one thing. What about the switchcraft internal tooth lock washer? (p/n P-1014-9X) I need 180 of em! Maybe you can organize a group buy for those? :hail: :hail: The price sweet spot is > 5000! :lol:

George
It's a bummer they don't come with the jacks. It's kind of lame given the price.

Mouser has 700 or so of them. That would be about $100ish dollars. If folks want some of these, I can arrange the group buy. Just PM me with the amount that you want.

I think that part number is the switchcraft one. In the past I have bought these ones, Vishay/Spectrol 594-512-0008 and they are the same and cheaper. We might want to go with those. I can verify they do fit the switchcraft 112ax jacks since that is the washer I use regularly. I'm okay either way--Switchcraft or Vishay/Spectrol.

groovy, if you need a few of these to hold you over, let me know. I can mail them tomorrow.
Brian

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Doesn't matter to me which lock washer we go with as long as it fits correctly, is sturdy, and works. If they are equal, then go with the cheaper one. Ok well, maybe the material matters. Stainless steel is always preferable 8_) (but I don't know if either one is s/s). I'm not in a rush for these.

George

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:02 pm

[duplicate due to stupidity duly deleted]
Last edited by groovyshaman on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Oh frik me, when you hit 'back' and it asks 'repost data' SAY NO! Sorry! :waah:

groovyshaman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groovyshaman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Looks like the Vishay one has been around for a while. I see it mentioned on the hotrodmotm site from 10 years ago. 8_)

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:11 pm

groovyshaman wrote:Looks like the Vishay one has been around for a while. I see it mentioned on the hotrodmotm site from 10 years ago. 8_)
I am sure that is where I got the link from originally. I often visit that page. They work nicely and feel very sturdy to me.
Brian

Return to “Music Tech DIY”