MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What is a good drone?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author What is a good drone?

Michaud

Euro "Standard" ftl

Hey, drone artist, tell me!

I guess this is a hard question? Whatever...

What is a good drone?
How long is a good drone?
Does the begining has to be different of the middle and the ending?

And , technically speaking, whitch modules are the most common in your process?
What is your secret to make your drone?

Thanks!

beyourdog

the best drone you ll get is from a bagpipe, usually in G and tends to be unlimited if you master the pocket/bag pressure + breathing :-)

a good drone there is in the Pink floyd Obscured by clouds....

rico loverde

beyourdog wrote:
the best drone you ll get is from a bagpipe, usually in G and tends to be unlimited if you master the pocket/bag pressure + breathing :-)

a good drone there is in the Pink floyd Obscured by clouds....
i love bagpipes, i watched a guy play drone like stuff last year and it really hit a nerve with me. brought me to tears. something about that instrument really hits me emotionally

slovo

It's kind of an interesting question. The obvious answer is whatever makes you happy, but when you start thinking about "is my drone special" it does seem like... maybe your drone is a classic drone, and thus it should strive for maximum overwhelmingness -- maximum swell, volume, monotony... something which tries to overwhelm and calm the mind through consistency and power. OK, but maybe that's not a classic drone to you -- well, fine, but maybe then it needs some other sort of gimmick -- part of the beauty of the drone is that it lacks any sort of songwriting hook (which can also be seen as a gimmick), but if it's not the sort of meditative drone which should lull you to another place, it needs some other stimulation for the mind. Good dynamics, interesting harmonies, unique timbres, etc... the sky's the limit and I would never hope to put rules on it. I think I'm drawn to this style of performance art because of the immense potential for audience epiphany, and absolutely nothing else -- there's no other aspect which I really require. But when it comes to recordings it's a lot more nuanced and there's no obvious satisfaction of reaching the audience. So I think as a listener, I look for dynamics and intrigue, and as a composer... you need some justification to yourself! What do you want to make?

thesnow

a good drone really doesn't get much better than this we're not worthy

onohobo

I'm not a big fan of drones; it usually takes a lot more to entertain me.

However, what I appreciate in a good drone is when after feeling like I've been lulled to sleep I suddenly realize it's totally different than it was a few minutes ago.

doombient.music

Organic-sounding, animated, evolving, absorbing, complex. A single drone tells you an entire story.

Makes you want to listen to forever because you keep discovering new details with every listen.

Take Michael Stearns´ "Planetary Unfolding" as a great example for animated drones. Same thing goes for Robert Rich´s "Below Zero".

Stephen

nrdvrgr

doombient.music wrote:
Organic-sounding, animated, evolving, absorbing, complex. A single drone tells you an entire story.

Agree on all of that except "complex", just take Eliane Radigue as a good example of how simple un-complex drones can still be very captivating.

For me the most important aspect is feeling - that thing you really can´t describe... it is just something about the sound that draws you in and makes your mind wander away. Like when you dissolve your ego and just drifts away in the sound and forget everything around you. Like ego-death during a good trip.

Michaud

I ask that question because I would like to create a very long sound with an evolution, that begins when you just press the button...

But I am never satisfied...

Perhaps I do not have enough modules?

But I like the idea of Organic Sounding. Indeed, to make it beautiful, only the modular cannot make it beautiful... without a lot of experience and knowledge...

doombient.music

It´s not only the patch or the complexity thereof or of the instrument you use for creating that "drone", it´s also a question of what external devices you use. Loop delays are great, reverbs as well.

I did some rather complex stuff, using just a Very Crappy Synthesiser 3 and a couple of long delays.

Stephen

shamann

What is a good drone?
I've been thinking about this question since last night, and can't come up with a straightforward answer. Drone is just one way to approach music, and the difficulty in answering what makes a good drone is the same that occurs when asking what makes a good song.

I think good music conveys, honestly and proficiently, the general ideas its built upon. To then describe what that means specifically, I always come up against an elusive I-know-it-when-I-hear-it quality because how those things are defined specifically depends on the circumstances that led to the result. But when creating music, ask yourself what you wish to accomplish, do what you can, and then ask yourself if you've accomplished it. There's two sides to consider when asking that last question: honesty and proficiency. Sometimes your abilities keep you from reaching your goal, and sometimes it's your sincerity. When it's the first, the answer is practice, learn to become more skilled, keep trying and understand that these things take time and effort. The second is existential, and requires reflection.

How long is a good drone?
As long as it needs to be, or as long as you wish it to be.

Does the beginning have to be different of the middle and the ending?
I don't believe there is only one way to approach it. Stasis can be a remarkably effective characteristic in music, but it can also result in boring shit. If your goal is to start from a point and move to another, then do that. Be aware of a listener's interest and disinterest (even if that listener is just you), figure out how you wish to work between the two states.

Which modules are the most common in your process?
I'm less a fan of synth drones than I am of drones made from other sources. I've loved some synth-based drone music, but I've heard a lot that is lazy, bland, ham-fisted. Synths drone easily. I'm not overly interested in music that could generally be described as "I just turned this shit on and hit record, call me a superstar, mama." Some people really dig that sort of thing, or at least some people seem to really dig making that sort of thing, but I'm not one of them. So don't think of drones in terms of modules, think of it in terms of music and sound. Your understanding of how the modules help you realize your musical intent will dictate what modules to use. Never has the quality of music depended on which LFO you use.

What is your secret to make your drone?
Patience, listening, and a sense of timing.

Hi5

My concern with drone is probably worth another topic all together so I apologize now but, especially in the case of electronic music, I find the drone to be a cop out. This sort of reductionism only looks like the inability to make an interesting piece of music to me and taking the easy way out. Drones are perfectly fine as a structural component of a piece but not the end all. I could go one on how that modern tools like looper pedals, delays, and graphical DAW environments help promote the drone way of thinking which I feel is the biggest hurdle faced by experimental electronic music today but that is another very long discussion.

This all said, I would say a good drone is one that is part of a piece of music and not all that there is. Movement and animation are critical as well as moving out of the drone into other gestures even open silent moments.

srsly never
try to use them!

BugBrand

Something that connects with you. This is mysterious. It can depend on mood, setting, tones, emotions (sonic and self). Actually, what do I know.. I don't tend to get them - though ..sometimes..!

RealDudes

something you can dance to.

slowly

slovo

Drone CAN be a copout, I suppose. But I think it is also a valid way of approaching sound. It's obviously more sound design than music, although I don't really want to split hairs about what music is. I think part of what comes through in drone can be the selflessness of the musician. It doesn't have to be this way, but sometimes I think there is a magic that can occur by the musician opening herself up to the possibilities of the instrument, unguided or semi-guided, and really taking the time to appreciate the subtle changes, rather than whipping it into shape. This then transfers that opportunity to the listener, SOMEtimes with profound effects. I think this approach to drones is definitely not a method for the rabid individualist, though, because even when you succeed at accomplishing what you want, you will be left wondering, could you have done more, or did you do anything at all? XD

Hey, some people like it and I am occasionally one of them. For that, I say, halllujah!

To the OP: it's possible you could be more satisfied with more modules. But assuming money is a factor in your life, I'd seriously recommend getting familiar with as many digital workstation tricks as possible, because it's just as likely that your thought process will lead to always desiring more modules. A computer with one decent reverb can accomplish a lot, and even without effects, you could easily transform a single boring patch into a magnificent composition, for example, using multiple versions of a single patch at different offsets, etc.

shamann

Hi5 wrote:
Drones are perfectly fine as a structural component of a piece but not the end all.

I think you're cutting off the nose to spite the face. Just because a lot of people are lazy and use drones as a crutch doesn't mean drones can't be the focus of a composition. Some people use all manner of devices as crutches, that speaks more of their abilities than defines rules of engagement with those devices.

de_raaf

simple put, for listener position, it it bores me its not good
people think its easly done, but it isn't, a lot comes down to where you do it, the system, drone is more a conceptual kind of approach too (see minimalist, or the la monte young house thing) this sort of music where probably 80% or so sucks especially live

oootini

best drones i've heard recently:

http://www.glacialmovements.com/rele11.htm

doombient.music

de_raaf wrote:
simple put, for listener position, it it bores me its not good
people think its easly done, but it isn't, [...]

A lot of Dark Ambient Music is boring, uninventive drones, alas. From that angle I can very well understand the anti-drone sentiments some people have. It is very easy to make boring drones and boring dark ambient music. I´m particularly good at that.

Years ago, a friend of mine wanted to impress me with some DA releases he thought were seminal and outstanding, and all I could say was "What do you want to impress me with? This is boring." I won´t tell you what it was.

No, it wasn´t my stuff. It was even worse.

Stephen

zapp550

To me a good drone should be something of an auditory illusion if that makes any sense. Where your mind starts to fill in the blanks or provides more movement to the composition then there may actually be. I will agree that there's a fine line, and if a drone's not done right it can be a pretty boring listen and may be better suited as a backdrop for something else. Here's a short piece from a fellow wiggler that i've always enjoyed.

thesnow

drone isn't a cop out if you're honestly doing it for the love of the sound exploration and techniques, genuinely.

if you're doing it because you don't know what else to do on a modular or any other instrument well there's nothing wrong with that either but you could be cheating yourself or wasting your time maybe?

I love good drone music.

Anyone ever heard of Growing? their older records are especially amazing.

Waz

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeiooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooom

^That's a good drone right there.

odecahedron

the thing with good drone is it usually takes a long time to evolve to hear any structural musicality.. to someone whos more into more dynamic types of music the patience required is a hard-ask. tibral/tonal qualities are another ballpark...

some old bandmates would play it all the time at practice pack-downs, it took me years of toleration (and lots of weed) before i could really get a sense of even how to appreciate it.

now its perfect for certain moods. baths, sleep, things that require continuous periods of attention. etc

hail the drone

drip.feed

rico loverde wrote:
i love bagpipes, i watched a guy play drone like stuff last year and it really hit a nerve with me. brought me to tears. something about that instrument really hits me emotionally

I know what you mean. The Uillean pipes (the Irish equivalent of the bagpipes) have an extraordinary effect on me. There is something about that plaintive tone that just evokes sadness, hard times and ancient tradition.

narwhal

love this.

boramx

Waz wrote:
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeiooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooom

couldn't get this to play on my computer.

roqeja

Setting is important. Listening to drones on a computer is boring. Hearing and seeing a live drone performance can be quite moving. Don't enjoy extremely loud high frequencies for prolonged sessions but that's my own preference.

dude

i think part of the discussion regarding the validity (or whatever) of drone is that this topic is placed in the artist discussion section rather than modular general or something therefore framing it in a slightly different view.

but regardless of the style is see no right or wrong about anything. you either like it/feel it/have some connection to it etc or you don't. everybody has a different experience/palette etc so one persons perfect drone is another's pos.

i also personally find that i am extremely fickle. for instance, one performance/piece/song etc can connect with me in the most profound sense and then on another occasion the exact same thing can leave a completely different impression. circumstances, from that perspective, are pretty important.

i would say that strong art tends to have the power to provoke a reaction regardless of listener/experiencer/circumstances.

but i have officially digressed.

de_raaf

i think i'm more a person who can ejoy it more listening at home through a decent system, than live, i'm also mostly very nervous kind of guy, so i can't sit at the same place for long, but do feel their is a lot of boring stuff happening live, lack for soundquality or how it works in a setting, (roomacoustis, pa) , i have been part of o the underground experimental or whatever its called scene, and have seen a lot of boring stuff to behonest, i'm not a drone worshipper, but know when it speaks to me or not

was last night listening to coil coilans box (made with the ans synthesizer), pretty great for more drone like stuff, with some variation etc

Michaud

Waz wrote:

^That's a good drone right there.

If you put it on google translate, then press on the little speaker sign on the below of the box, you will hear a very funny drone... Especially in a foreign language...

My favourite is in hindi...

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&sa=N&tab=lT&q=

Hi5

that is pretty nice.

dude

indeed!

de_raaf

awesome, need to experiment with that

sandyb

that's great fun.
i think i need to incorporate some of that into a live set i'm doing soon.

Babaluma

loads of modulation controlled by other automatic and live played modulation always works well for me. layers upon layers of audio and modulation, and harmonics live and overdubbed, all interweaving like a giant sand wyrm. i love the drone, it's the sound of the universe unfolding! lol

doombient.music

Babaluma wrote:
[...] i love the drone, it's the sound of the universe unfolding! lol

Yes, that would be a really decent drone.

Stephen

DanielW

Great drones:

Agree about it's all in the setting. Live drones in a dark room have carried me off to far away places. Dope helps, too smile

As someone who makes drones I thinks it's a lot to do with FX, and also with having really good filters. Layering drones, slightly out of phase, to create overtones is also important.

odecahedron

mhtones

Although, technically a bad drone. The Chewbacca Defense

Umcorps

boramx wrote:
Waz wrote:

Fixed it for you w00t

[s]http://soundcloud.com/umcorps/lost-in-translation[/s]

Translated it to Dutch, stretched it a bit then fed it into the modular.

Lots of stuff going on in there - RES-4, spring verb, Echophon, matrix mixer feedback etc, etc, etc. And Pitcfactor/Space combo.

tikkitembo

Check out Laurie Spiegel. She did the album Expanding Universe on the Groove System at Bell Labs

SodaPop

I've been listening to a lot of this guy's work recently. He does some pretty fantastic work.

[bctrack]2069266470[/bctrack]

komyta

Umcorps wrote:
boramx wrote:
Waz wrote:

Fixed it for you w00t

Lots of stuff going on in there - RES-4, spring verb, Echophon, matrix mixer feedback etc, etc, etc. And Pitcfactor/Space combo.

Well done ! thumbs up

iamgoldman

MrJenkem

I would have to say that most drones are too long. <<-HATER
(no but really, some of it's great)

Savage

My wife's snoring. Not a loud obnoxious snore, but a quiet snore like a cat purring. Soft and rhythmic though still a drone, almost as if she were using circular breathing. Hearing it relaxes me enough to go to sleep. Hug

Oh! But you meant a drone as related to electronic music! Oh, well, two slightly detuned 200Hz pulse waves with PWM controlled by a 0.05Hz sine always works for me! Om

Refund

Umcorps wrote:

Fixed it for you w00t

This is fantastic!

Umcorps

Thank you! thumbs up

DrBerndtHoffmann

The only good drone is a dead drone...

Only joking, I like a good as much as the next wiggler.

I'm actually quite fond of drones that don't actually change much or at all; the only changes are produced by the listener either in perception or listening position. I saw an amazing installation by Ryoji Ikeda (?) in Berlin that involved two big speakers beaming out sine waves in a big all-white room that you could wander around.

Similarly, there are waves on the B bank of a Piston Honda that I really like in their pure, unmodulated form.

slovo

Damn, now I have to listen to +/- again... where did i put it >_<

DrBerndtHoffmann

slovo wrote:
Damn, now I have to listen to +/- again...

SlayerBadger!

bellurypants

Umcorps wrote:

Fixed it for you w00t

This is awesome

bellurypants

This is a drone that I've been really into lately.

thesnow

EARTH we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

shaft9000

if you want to listen to it, it's good

simple. eye of the beholder and all

Monobass

DrBerndtHoffmann wrote:
I'm actually quite fond of drones that don't actually change much or at all; the only changes are produced by the listener either in perception or listening position. I saw an amazing installation by Ryoji Ikeda (?) in Berlin that involved two big speakers beaming out sine waves in a big all-white room that you could wander around.

Yeah I saw a very similar piece of his at his Tokyo retrospective a few years ago. .. Really great.

I like a softer, meditative drone as much as the next man... But also...

Or

Or

http://boomkat.com/downloads/42658-john-duncan-tap-internal

...I'm a fan of the head scorch.

spbaker

I'm pretty proud of this one:

I know it's low hanging fruit to promote myself.... oops

Dead Banana

spbaker

just to ensure I don't kill this thread with blatant self promotion, I've been reflecting on all the different thoughts and examples of stuff/drone/ambient posted, and it occurs to me that above all, a good drone depends upon the listener successfully engaging with the sound- the listener find the right time and place to listen - I find it impossible to listen to drone stuff in the car, too much background noise (plus the car itself is a good drone), I can't clean the house, or mow the lawn (another good drone) or jog listening to drone, it's something I need to make time for, a good pair of headphones, or loud dark room and make an experience of it.

Life is fast- so much so that most of us live on the edge of stress, or with stress in our daily lives, employers no longer offer stress leave, otherwise there would be no more employees.

That is partly my motivation for making this kind of music, it's meditative making and listening to it. Listening to a long evolving drone replaces a daily Simpsons episode, one less bit of clutter for my mind.

So what is a good drone? A good listener, a listener who can take that time out to sit still and immerse themselves in it. It's not an easy skill, because our life has been structured, and we've been taught to fill it with bright shiny things, and if you don't have enough bright shiny things, then go and buy some more- don't think, buy! (it's an issue on this forum too, gear lust, module envy is just our version of consumer worship, at least the cash is going to hardworking individuals instead of corporations and the items feed creativity, but I digress).

The creators of these drones put as much or even more thought into their creation as any composer/producer/writer/musician, so the journey they have created for you is one worth buying a ticket for with your time, the diversity of drone output is astounding!

My stuff as Abre Ojos, tries to wedge into that mentality by presenting something that our visually oriented brain can recognise and latch on to, but can then register differently as the interpretation is up to the viewer, no dialog, no plot, no love story in a 3 min pop song, the listener fills in the blanks, and if the blanks don't get filled, then just enjoy the blanks nanners

does any of that make sense?
I don't know if the original poster wanted production techniques, or approaches to this "genre" (thats a very VERY loose term), but this is my answer to this very good question.

phew, there is more, but I don't want to get too metaphysical in here, but if yr interested PM me or make another thread on the power of drone and we can chat there w00t

Umcorps

spbaker wrote:

does any of that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. And thank you for posting it.

It certainly matches 100% my experience. While I often explore elements of drone in the studio, the only time I've ever produced anything I would call "good" (meaning worth allowing a life out of the studio) is when I've been fully engaged by the process of the making. Engaged to the extent that my state of consciousness is different from my normal one.

When it happens, which isn't often, it feels very close to a meditative state with all that implies about changed perceptions of time and the surrounding environment.

It's not something that I've yet found a way to get to at will. Sometimes it happens, more often it doesn't. I do know its a gradual process of being drawn in (inside?) to that state of mind, to the extent that I can be unaware of it happening until something happens to make me realise how deep a state I'm in. Incidentally, that is exactly what happened with the translation drone. I started that off as a jokey response to what was already a neat joke. I had no intention of doing anything more than making something for shits and giggles. And then I found myself in the dronespace, waved goodbye to the rest of the day and ended up making something that I felt was good enough to stand on its own.

It's one of the reasons why I think its really brave to try to do drone live and why I've avoided doing that to date. I think I need to be in that state of mind to make something worthwhile and I'd find it very hard to get there with all the other things that crowd in on you when performing with an audience.

Paradoxically, its also the reason that I've mostly focussed on drones that were recorded "live in the studio". I suppose what I'm recording is the audible outcome of my process of engagement with the drone system I've created and once I'm in there I can't quickly switch out into a more subjective "producer" mentality. So in that sense, the drones I do put out are more documents than they are productions.

Apologies for the ramble. I like to think of myself as a rationalist - metaphysics is not an area I'm big on. But I do know that my dronespace involves me being in a state of consciousness that is different to the one I normally occupy. And that I need to be in there to have any chance of making/appreciating a drone that matches my understanding of what could be called good.

Rogue Ai

Is it normal for your house's plumbing to make droning sounds? hihi

spbaker

Umcorps wrote:

When it happens, which isn't often, it feels very close to a meditative state with all that implies about changed perceptions of time and the surrounding environment.

This was something that Coil mentioned when recording Time Machines, the idea of time slips, and listeners reported feeling the same way- meditation, as much as I understand it (not much hehe) is the process of slowing the mind, quieting that little constant chatterer always going in your head, but sitting down for long periods focussing on breathing doesn't work with me so well, but engaging with a drone, focussing on that sound, is the same thing, but more fun SlayerBadger!

Umcorps wrote:

It's not something that I've yet found a way to get to at will. Sometimes it happens, more often it doesn't. I do know its a gradual process of being drawn in (inside?) to that state of mind, to the extent that I can be unaware of it happening until something happens to make me realise how deep a state I'm in. Incidentally, that is exactly what happened with the translation drone. I started that off as a jokey response to what was already a neat joke. I had no intention of doing anything more than making something for shits and giggles. And then I found myself in the dronespace, waved goodbye to the rest of the day and ended up making something that I felt was good enough to stand on its own.

life/the universe is great like that: "forget about what ever intention you had, THIS is the way it's gonna be" eek! and it is a killer track and you can hear the integrity in it we're not worthy

Umcorps wrote:

It's one of the reasons why I think its really brave to try to do drone live and why I've avoided doing that to date. I think I need to be in that state of mind to make something worthwhile and I'd find it very hard to get there with all the other things that crowd in on you when performing with an audience.

it's different if you prepare the audience, that they know what they are coming to and can then consent to that space/state of mind, playing in noisy bars or clubs doesn't work, especially when the bar is doing good business, but choosing the space and making the audience aware of what is about to transpire changes the pressure on you in a live situation. It's also why for me visuals are important, if people don't want to close their eyes there is something other than me to focus on- the ole sleight of hand thumbs up

Umcorps wrote:

the drones I do put out are more documents than they are productions.

gold!

Umcorps wrote:

Apologies for the ramble. I like to think of myself as a rationalist - metaphysics is not an area I'm big on. But I do know that my dronespace involves me being in a state of consciousness that is different to the one I normally occupy. And that I need to be in there to have any chance of making/appreciating a drone that matches my understanding of what could be called good.

it's a good ramble, and a good discourse, you've pointed out some excellent points based on your own self-reflection! and you've answered the next part of "what is a good drone?" as the engagement of the creator in it's construction.

Umcorps

spbaker wrote:

it's different if you prepare the audience, that they know what they are coming to and can then consent to that space/state of mind, playing in noisy bars or clubs doesn't work, especially when the bar is doing good business, but choosing the space and making the audience aware of what is about to transpire changes the pressure on you in a live situation. It's also why for me visuals are important, if people don't want to close their eyes there is something other than me to focus on- the ole sleight of hand

It's all about finding that place. I'd give an arm (disclaimer - I reserve the right to withdraw that offer) for the chance to drone in a conducive space with an audience willing to come along for the ride. I probably need to put more effort into making it happen instead of moaning about the challenges of live drone.

And thanks for a post that provoked me to think more than somewhat.

This is the stuff that makes Muff's Muff's. screaming goo yo

slow_riot

to me, drone is like techno music. in some ways it takes it to it's most logical conclusion. i think there are many who recognise this actively, and many who do so passively. i suppose the difference is that the trance state is more in the mind. with techno dancing to it can draw you in without you noticing.

anyways I don't know what i can add that hasn't already been said very well.

i think pop music has something to say, there is often an emotive quality that pop music can have that speaks very deeply. the presentation of it makes it easier to reach people who aren't comfortable going deep into a trancelike experience. maybe different people need different things.

Niles Crane

What I like about minimalism (I prefer the term to drone) is how sensitive the ear gets when listening; the more you listen, the more subtle changes are recognized. It takes a lot of skill to create something engaging with few tones/textures, but subtlety can be equally as captivating as a piece with an abundance of change,tones,etc....

spbaker

Rogue Ai wrote:
Is it normal for your house's plumbing to make droning sounds? hihi

probably need more fibre in your diet thumbs up

Ray Diode

I like drones that are like the background hum of a spacecraft

Babaluma

Ray Diode wrote:

That one's easy: white noise into low pass filter with cutoff set really low (boost volume to compensate), and adjust res to taste. wink

papercutnoise

spbaker wrote:

This was something that Coil mentioned when recording Time Machines, the idea of time slips, and listeners reported feeling the same way- meditation, as much as I understand it (not much hehe) is the process of slowing the mind, quieting that little constant chatterer always going in your head, but sitting down for long periods focussing on breathing doesn't work with me so well, but engaging with a drone, focussing on that sound, is the same thing, but more fun SlayerBadger!

Reading this post earlier on inspired me to listen to Time Machines on the bus home from work. That album never fails to space me out. The sounds in it are so simple, yet so rich. Absolutely outstanding drone album!

EATyourGUITAR

I LOVE this thread. I agree with everything that has been said so far.

Niles Crane wrote:
What I like about minimalism (I prefer the term to drone) is how sensitive the ear gets when listening; the more you listen, the more subtle changes are recognized. It takes a lot of skill to create something engaging with few tones/textures, but subtlety can be equally as captivating as a piece with an abundance of change,tones,etc....

to this I would like to add that it can go both ways. it is a known phenomenon that your perception will mute things as they become more established and repetitive. this can be a useful technique for hypnosis and/or subliminal messaging. I agree with what has already been said about things getting boring without changes in dynamics after about 3 or 4 minutes. although I can take it, I tend to avoid it. if I succeed in making the music I want to make, I will listen to it more than once. there exists a delicate balance between boring and not droning at all. taken to another extreme, if I liked everything, then I honestly probably don't give a a shit what comes through my speakers.

to the OP I would say that a good drone in my opinion is something that makes you interested and gives a warm feeling inside. there needs to be a sense of movement present in even the most static and sterile of the drones. 100% exact copies looped every 3 seconds are not drones. well, they are drones but they are 3 second drones and someone is cheating when they press the record.

I do not have a problem at all with performing live. I will do it. give me a time and a place. I'm not self conscious at all. I understand it is highly subjective or objectionable material so I anticipate people walking out. I gamble on someone liking it so its always worth a shot even if it fails completely.

I am posting something of mine (actually a duet) only because it is a good example of what I like and therefor a "good drone" by my definition which may be totaly different than your definition. not a lot of movement in this one but it was a duet so I compromised errr I mean collaborated.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/robpaper/steal-guns-make-bombs-ep[/s]

aethersprite

Ray Diode wrote:

Here you go!

Peebee

magnetize

for me good drone/noise is like good techno, needs to be felt physically. someone like kevin drumm or pan sonic are masters at this.

RomuloCesar

It has to morph very smoothly in a way you can't notice it's change all that much unless you skip the track back and forth in case of a recording. And it needs tons of spectral depth going along with good panning.

lordofthebored

the best drone is the kind that kills rednecks

tcb

[/quote]

so

this really goes on for 24 hours.... fantastic!

hydrophilos

[quote="Hi5"]My concern with drone is probably worth another topic all together so I apologize now but, especially in the case of electronic music, I find the drone to be a cop out. This sort of reductionism only looks like the inability to make an interesting piece of music to me and taking the easy way out. Drones are perfectly fine as a structural component of a piece but not the end all. I could go one on how that modern tools like looper pedals, delays, and graphical DAW environments help promote the drone way of thinking which I feel is the biggest hurdle faced by experimental electronic music today but that is another very long discussion.

Unless of course you happen to be la Monte Young (among others) and the very notion of that sound is structurally resonant with mind space and consciousness...and when you talk about music its something "to get inside of" or "tuning is a function of time" with the idea being that if one is well tuned in the now then they are absolutely changing with the wave of the sound etc.

...but yes perhaps that is the subject of another topic

Babaluma

i don't believe drones to be a cop out in any way whatsoever. there are great and poor examples in all genres of music. drone is no different.

hydrophilos

For further reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_music

slow_riot

I've been accidentally making drone tracks for a while. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just came out that way. Ever since my first explorations in audio, I found the most gratifying experiences in sound were the drawn out ones.

I have encountered a lot of hostilty, much of it under the surface and not direct criticism, and as such have looked to ways to justify it, or to try to make 'ordinary' music, but in playing out these feelings in this discussion, a sense of anger also comes up. Fuck you! Music is whatever it wants to be. I invest myself everyday into bettering my art, and if you don't like drone then fine, but it doesn't make it wrong.

To me, drone and the art of repetition, the art of very subtle changes but with an everpresent sea like underbelly, with patterns growing, moving in and out of focus. This is music to me.

About linking drone with laziness, well that sure is a lazy analogy! I actually haven't used a single delay or reverb or DAW in any music I've made for about 4 years.

nuckabean

folk rabe's what thumbs up

Suilebhain

thesnow wrote:
a good drone really doesn't get much better than this we're not worthy

That was pretty amazing. What was kinda freaky is that the low resolution of the video made it look like the giraffe's eye was moving in the beginning of the video.

Scories

The only drone master I could listen to for the rest of my life is Thomas Köner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1teSrZ1LE7M

darenager

For me the best drone stuff is more on the side of the Didgeridoo than Bagpipes (which I can't bear) I like stuff that has a primal simple trance like quality rather than the complex OMGIFOS something wonderful type stuff, I like it when it simply draws the mind in, sometimes glacial sometimes more dynamic. I also think the very best stuff only works when the listener is in the mood for it.
I think the kind of drone I like requires discipline and is not something that can be casually listened to, it takes effort and commitment but rewards once the barrier is broken.

Interesting that a few have noted parallels with techno, they do sometimes seem to have a very similar function albeit targeting different states of mind, and of course they can complement eachother wonderfully.

The listening environment is (for me anyway) crucial to the enjoyment, I would never listen to drone whilst driving for example hihi But often treat it more as a kind of ritual and in a darkened room. I am interested in things like the Ganzfeld effect and the right type of drone stuff suits this very well. I also find that the experience is enhanced with the use of lighting fx and things like strobes and nebulas can really provide a great way of providing a visual accompaniment. I'm not sure if I would choose to listen to drone music in a social setting as I think it would probably just irritate me unless the other people were on the same vibe.

Sometimes I just like to hook my Grendel Drone Commander up to a little battery amp and have it undulating away in the background whilst I work, often for at least an hour at a time.

So for me a good drone can be many things, but I feel it more as a ritual than as music/art most of the time, not always though. Enough rambling lol

slow_riot

well shit I've just come out from the studio and realised a few things.

Drone IS techno, not a case of parallels, to me it really is the same place.

You can dance to drone if you do it right. For real, which is one thing that I've always considered as false, that my music was somehow head music or just experimental, but it's not true at all, it's utterly rhythmic and utterly physical in the same way that techno is.

In a way drone is a refinement of the techno state. Lots of people push for drone like forms, whacking up the decay on an 808, or drenching sounds in reverb. To me drone is just cutting out the middle man.

Time to test out this theory in a live setting! I doubt I'll convince many people of my theory but hopefully will get a handful of believers.

spbaker

slow_riot wrote:
well shit I've just come out from the studio and realised a few things.

To me drone is just cutting out the middle man.

SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t

shaft9000

some people just prefer to always have a beat, like the masses that gotta have a vocal or it's not listenable "music" to them
when i'm dancing after a while the beat just sort of 'disappears' and becomes irrelevant=constant
and other times i really really miss a vinyl DJ doing a slow live blend - the beats mingle and phase the low-end in ways you just can't get from any mp3/CD rig I've heard

OK now you've just given me an idea to mix two beat-filled sources and then null one beat against the other to produce a cancellation effect... or ?

goiks

slow_riot wrote:

i hear you. beats or not is just a matter of frequencies really.

slow_riot wrote:

You can dance to drone if you do it right. For real, which is one thing that I've always considered as false, that my music was somehow head music or just experimental, but it's not true at all, it's utterly rhythmic and utterly physical in the same way that techno is.

with enough watts anything has a physical presence whether the waveform peaks are microseconds or a half second apart. i've danced at a phil niblock "performance" largely due to the wattage and space involved.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 4