MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

small MIDI keyboard with midi out..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author small MIDI keyboard with midi out..
evs
hi,

right now i´m searching for a small small, VERY small keyboard (like the nano key) with MIDI out. I want to control a synth direct, without any DAW between a usb keybord and the synth. and all the new small keybords just have USB..

is there some sort of adapter for usb to midi, so one could use such small devices without any computer?
or any of you know a small keyboard with midi out?

thanks a lot
evs
Cat-A-Tonic
evs wrote:
is there some sort of adapter for usb to midi, so one could use such small devices without any computer?

Unfortunately, AFAIK the ones that have usb outputs for midi control of software (like the Axis 49) require drivers to operate and receive power.
There isn't any physical adapter (without a PC + midi interface).

That said, the Axis 49 + 13" laptop + audio/midi interface is still a pretty portable solution. (and battery powered!)
dude
there are super cheap midi to cv converters. usb one end and midi in/out on the other. i think i have one by edirol called um1x. not sure if it needs power, if so it would be quite minimal draw. doesn't korg have those nano things? maybe i have my specs confused.
tony d
Maybe not small enough but i have an m-audio oxygen 8 that has midi out and runs of a wallwart or usb.
Also, i don't use it anymore if you are interested in buying it p.m. me.
evs
dude wrote:
there are super cheap midi to cv converters. usb one end and midi in/out on the other. i think i have one by edirol called um1x. not sure if it needs power, if so it would be quite minimal draw. doesn't korg have those nano things? maybe i have my specs confused.


thanks, but the um1x seems to be a normal midi interface.
i don´t think you can just plug it into an nano thing from korg and plug the other side into an synthesizer.. or can you?
normaly those things have to be connected to a computer..
evs
tony d wrote:
Maybe not small enough but i have an m-audio oxygen 8 that has midi out and runs of a wallwart or usb.
Also, i don't use it anymore if you are interested in buying it p.m. me.


thanks, but the oxygen is too big..
evs
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
evs wrote:
is there some sort of adapter for usb to midi, so one could use such small devices without any computer?

Unfortunately, AFAIK the ones that have usb outputs for midi control of software (like the Axis 49) require drivers to operate and receive power.
There isn't any physical adapter (without a PC + midi interface).

That said, the Axis 49 + 13" laptop + audio/midi interface is still a pretty portable solution. (and battery powered!)


the axis49 looks great, but also a little bit too pricey for me. and it just don´t have a midi out..
evs
to get a little more specific, i use a monome with mlr. and i have, beside other things, one synthesizer (semblance) which i want to play directly to record it into mlr.
if you can guess of any other solution...
sandyb
evs wrote:
to get a little more specific, i use a monome with mlr. and i have, beside other things, one synthesizer (semblance) which i want to play directly to record it into mlr.
if you can guess of any other solution...


well - if you're using a monome with mlr then you're also using a computer. so why not just get one of those little usb nanokey keyboards and then route the audio from the semblance into mlr?
evs
sandyb wrote:
evs wrote:
to get a little more specific, i use a monome with mlr. and i have, beside other things, one synthesizer (semblance) which i want to play directly to record it into mlr.
if you can guess of any other solution...


well - if you're using a monome with mlr then you're also using a computer. so why not just get one of those little usb nanokey keyboards and then route the audio from the semblance into mlr?


well, i thought that you have to run a daw to pass the midi information from a nanokey to a midi interface. isn´t that true?
sandyb
evs wrote:
sandyb wrote:
evs wrote:
to get a little more specific, i use a monome with mlr. and i have, beside other things, one synthesizer (semblance) which i want to play directly to record it into mlr.
if you can guess of any other solution...


well - if you're using a monome with mlr then you're also using a computer. so why not just get one of those little usb nanokey keyboards and then route the audio from the semblance into mlr?


well, i thought that you have to run a daw to pass the midi information from a nanokey to a midi interface. isn´t that true?


no. afaik you shouldn't have to run a daw to do this. i have an older korg midi keyboard and i don't need to be running a daw to have it pass information to a firewire midi interface. i imagine the nanokey would be similar.
ndkent
I've been looking for years for a super small midi keyboard that I don't need a computer for. It would be good if someone would do a standalone super small USB MIDI to standard MIDI interface but that might not technically be possible.

I saw one Yamaha Japan made for the Japanese home market some years back that had mini keys and actual MIDI. It was off-white, kind of chunky and looked like it came from the early 90s but was still in shops in 2000 at least for around US $110. Their CBX-K1 is small but this was a lot smller. One of the versions of those Chinese-made roll-up rubber keys keyboards has MIDI. I tried that one but found it impossible to properly play.

So I guess next it's a USB keyboard that also has midi and doesn't need USB that's the smallest, then again korg's nanokeys + a laptop + a USB to MIDI interface might be smaller but heavier. I guess a few
Limey
yet to be released, but it looks pretty compact.
you get some other stuff to besides a compact keyboard

http://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1/
ndkent
re:
http://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1/

You only get USB, no regular MIDI out, if that's important
cornutt
evs wrote:

thanks, but the oxygen is too big..


Hmm. The Oxygen-8 is about as small as those controller keyboards get. I take it you're looking for something sort of like a Stylophone with MIDI out. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything like that on the market. I can think of how one could be built from a BASIC Stamp or an Arduino board.
Limey
very frustrating
evs
cornutt wrote:
evs wrote:

thanks, but the oxygen is too big..


Hmm. The Oxygen-8 is about as small as those controller keyboards get.


really? i thought that i saw something smaller sometimes, but not small enough for me. the oxygen looks very... big.
i wan´t a nano key with midi out..

any of you used that one?:
http://www.cme-pro.com/en/product-detail.php?product_id=3
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group