4ms ROW POWER

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Hazza26
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:07 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Post by Hazza26 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:32 pm

versipellis wrote:Not sure if this helps, but stacking all my power load on one header didn't work. Splitting across both did, however. I couldn't be bothered math'ing the loads.
Ah right, that changes things! When you say "didn't work", did the modules just not power on? Is it possible to fry the power unit?

I just the maths on my load:
1105mA +12v
564mA -12v
0mA 5v

Pretty sure that's within safe tolerances of Row40 and 28AWG ribbon cable?

versipellis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Post by versipellis » Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Hazza26 wrote:
versipellis wrote:Not sure if this helps, but stacking all my power load on one header didn't work. Splitting across both did, however. I couldn't be bothered math'ing the loads.
Ah right, that changes things! When you say "didn't work", did the modules just not power on? Is it possible to fry the power unit?

I just the maths on my load:
1105mA +12v
564mA -12v
0mA 5v

Pretty sure that's within safe tolerances of Row40 and 28AWG ribbon cable?
5V lit up, +12V and -12V didn't. I'm guessing I was pulling more load than the ribbon cable could handle. Like I said, I didn't bother looking up the AWG for the ribbon cables, or measuring the output or trying to figure out the circuit diagram of the row power.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Moog Sub Phatty, JU-06A, KMI K-Mix w/ MIDI expander, Erica Synths Bassline]: viewtopic.php?p=3142686

User avatar
Alphaman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Alphaman » Tue May 28, 2019 4:55 pm

is it possible to connect a Row Power 40 to a Row Power 30 with a this daisy chain cable?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Alphaman wrote:is it possible to connect a Row Power 40 to a Row Power 30 with a this daisy chain cable?
Yes! :tu:

User avatar
Alphaman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Alphaman » Tue May 28, 2019 6:57 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
Alphaman wrote:is it possible to connect a Row Power 40 to a Row Power 30 with a this daisy chain cable?
Yes! :tu:
nice. thanks for the response. and can i use other cables too (if they exist)? currently it is very hard to get these original 4ms cables in germany, because everyone only offers the modules, but not the cables^^

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue May 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Alphaman wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Alphaman wrote:is it possible to connect a Row Power 40 to a Row Power 30 with a this daisy chain cable?
Yes! :tu:
nice. thanks for the response. and can i use other cables too (if they exist)? currently it is very hard to get these original 4ms cables in germany, because everyone only offers the modules, but not the cables^^
Sure, just make sure it has the same specifications, a 2.1mm barrel plug with 5.5mm outer diameter. If the center hole is too small or the outside diameter is too large the plug wont fit and in the opposite is true then the plug might fit but not make good solid contact.

Take a look at companies that make/sell accessories for guitar pedal power supplies as you can often find cables that will work, although try to get one that is reasonably heavy duty since some made for guitar pedals are very thin and not designed for the amount of current a Row Power module requires.

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:26 am
Location: Portland

Post by mrfang » Wed May 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Alphaman wrote: nice. thanks for the response. and can i use other cables too (if they exist)? currently it is very hard to get these original 4ms cables in germany, because everyone only offers the modules, but not the cables^^
Schneidersladen carries the 4ms right-angle barrel cable:

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/4ms-r ... ngled.html

And they have a few left of the long straight version, which is now discontinued:

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/4ms-r ... -long.html
FS/T: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Synthrotek ECHO, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: 4ms STS, DLD, SMR, Tapographic Delay.
WTB/T: LZX modules, Eventide Space, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

User avatar
Alphaman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Alphaman » Thu May 30, 2019 3:02 pm

i don't purchase stuff from this bum's store Schneider's anymore since my first order there, but another music store sells the original ones

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:26 am
Location: Portland

Post by mrfang » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Right-angle barrel cables in Germany are also available here:

https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/4m ... 006935-000
FS/T: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Synthrotek ECHO, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: 4ms STS, DLD, SMR, Tapographic Delay.
WTB/T: LZX modules, Eventide Space, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

phantommovement
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:34 am

Post by phantommovement » Fri May 31, 2019 2:19 am

Alphaman wrote:i don't purchase stuff from this bum's store Schneider's anymore since my first order there, but another music store sells the original ones
Care to explain what happened with Schneidersladen? I bought my first batch of modules there and thought they are excellent.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”