MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer TKS poll in the yahoo Doepfer A100 group.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer TKS poll in the yahoo Doepfer A100 group.
Parallel Worlds
hi all,

in case you are a member of the Yahoo Doepfer A100 users group and you want to vote in this important poll about the forthcoming Doepfer TKS, please log in and go to the polls section of the group:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Doepfer_a100/polls

it would be helpful to vote, as Doepfer take their customers' opinion seriously.

many thanks for the bandwidth.
best regards,
Bakis.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
blarg... its asking me to sign in.
Parallel Worlds
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
blarg... its asking me to sign in.

of course, what would you expect? smile
Waz
Yahoo groups......

ew
Parallel Worlds
Waz wrote:
Yahoo groups......

ew

that's why you are free to decide to join, or not.
chinard
god i hate yahoo groups.

very frustrating

registered and voted anyways 'cause this is important, yo!
haven
I voted no because a keyboard shaped controller for touch makes no sense to me. it should be hex shaped IMO
Adam-V
Why should it be hex shaped?

Cheers,
Adam-V
Cybananna
No disrespect to those who want this, but it makes no sense to me. It still plays like a standard keyboard controller except the keys don't move. hmmm.....

Ok, maybe you can use it for different things, but it's still seems to be a black and white keyboard controller (I didn't read it in detail though).

If it were more like the Serge, Buchla, or Bugbrand, I would be interested. A touch controller woiuld be a good thing but I want a touch controller because I don't want to play using "black and white keys". I don't have a specific form, but something other than standard keys.

(I'm thinking a non-quantized ribbon controller would be nice for now)

The Music Easel and Synthi keyboards make sense because they're part of a portable self contained system where form, thickness, and weight are a factor. This seems to be a "regular" keyboard except that it's touch plate. seriously, i just don't get it

If i'm way off base with this, some discussion would be nice.
Parallel Worlds
no, it is not a black and white key keyboard.
it is a Touch Plate keyboard.

btw, if anyone has various suggestions or questions regarding the TKS and is a member of the Doepfer a100 group, he can also post his opinion/suggestions in the Doepfer A100 group, where Dieter reads all of the postings there.

thanks,
best regards,
Bakis.
REwire
Shape is not important. The Haken Continuum is basically rectangular with keyboard shaped separations be it with no black or white formation. The primary use for a touch controller is to both register the pressure and up- down position of the finger to control filter, pitch, velocity, lfo speed or whatever.

If the Doepfer does both of those, shape is irrelavent to me. What's the point of touch if it's the same as a keyboard, just key and pressure (which the Doepfer seems to have just one of at this point).

So far, NO for me.

Dan
Nuuj
What I really want for a controller is a large square and has X, Y and Pressure outputs with gates for each.
science
Meh.

That's all I have to say about it. Responding to the poll is more effort than I'm willing to make for something I care about this little.

thumbs up

I do have one suggestion to make though... stop pushing this poll everywhere you can. It's kind of obnoxious.
thermionicjunky
The debate needn't be about the keyboard. The current concept uses MIDI to control the programmer/sequencer so any MIDI source can be used. Arbitrary voltages from MIDI notes would be useful for many of us.
apfEID
on the one hand I want a touch panel controller.

on the other, I'm not sure this is the one that I would want.

I like the bug brand one a lot more.
Cybananna
Parallel Worlds wrote:
no, it is not a black and white key keyboard.
it is a Touch Plate keyboard.

Yes, I know that, but it's form is the same layout as a "regular" mechanical keyboard except it's touch.

It transmits gate, pitch, and pressure. Sounds just like a "regular" keyboard to me except it's touch not mechanical.

I've never used the Serge TKB (I think Parallel Worlds probably has one or more) but I think I understand (at least in a limited way) how the Serge differs from a standard keyboard in function. I don't see the difference in the Doepfer other than it's not mechanical.

This isn't meant to be against Doepfer, Dieter has been great with support and provides a lot of great modules, I just don't see what's so different and exciting about this. Again, could be me.
Parallel Worlds
to the members who complain about yahoo groups, and to those who add 'noise' to this topic, etc...:

ok, please, IF anyone is interested in participating to the poll, please do so.

if someone is not, please do not.

i am NOT pushing this poll, i just made an announcement concerning only these people who care to participate.

nothing more.

thanks for your understanding,
best regards, smile
Bakis.
Kent
FFS, everyone. Just be civil to those few like-minded modular synthesists out there.

Science in particular; you've come off as out-of-line. You didn't contribute anything constructive at all.

We're a small lot. We're bound to bump into each other from time to time.
MrManson
Cybananna wrote:

Ok, maybe you can use it for different things, but it's still seems to be a black and white keyboard controller (I didn't read it in detail though).

I think the point of the unit is that it *is* a touch controller which just happens to be in a keyboard shape. From reading the description on the Doepfer site, it looks to be designed to work with the planned sequence controller - so kind of like a TKB, but with 25 columns and 25 touch plates to match (http://www.doepfer.de/a100tkb.htm).

Personally I'm not bothered about it being a keyboard shape - I'd be more than happy to see 16 (or 8, or however many) columns on the sequencer matched with touchplates in a single row - *but* - I'd rather see it happen than not, so i voted "yes".

One thing - I didn't initially pick up the MIDI aspect of this - does this mean that it will play nicely with something like the MAQ16/3? If so, then I'm even more interested...
e-grad
I was a member of the Yahoo group but cannot sign in since Yahoo asks suddenly for additional information I won’t bother to supply.

So my knowledge is based on what I’ve learnt in past on the Yahoo Doepfer group and on the Doepfer hompage (from the link below).

MrManson wrote:
I think the point of the unit is that it *is* a touch controller which just happens to be in a keyboard shape. From reading the description on the Doepfer site, it looks to be designed to work with the planned sequence controller - so kind of like a TKB, but with 25 columns and 25 touch plates to match (http://www.doepfer.de/a100tkb.htm).

The TKB planned does not supply/derive more information than a standard keyboard could: On/off for a given “note”, and pressure.

REwire wrote:
The primary use for a touch controller is to both register the pressure and up- down position of the finger to control filter, pitch, velocity, lfo speed or whatever.

As long as the TKB offers the same as a keyboard than it’s a lost opportunity to build a far more interesting controller.
Cybananna
I read about the keyboard twice and didn't get that out of it. After looking at the sequencer controller, now I see it. So it sounds like the seq controller would need to be available also to do the type of thing I would be interested in...

Thanks for pointing that out MrManson.

I didn't / don't have a problem with it being key shaped, I just didn't see where it did anything a "regular" mechanical keyboard doesn't. Still, it seems that it doesn't do anything that a "regular" mechanical keyboard doesn't since the seq controller works with a mechanical keyboard too. But, with the pair, mechanical or touch, I see where it's going. This is fun!
MrManson
Agreed - without the sequence controller it's a little pointless for my purposes. Not sure why they dropped the initial plan for a combined unit (apart from it being really ugly!) - again with that prototype though, the use of a b&w keyboard layout seems weird.

Personally I'd like to see something a little more "modular" that could be built up to whatever size you need. Oh, wait - that'd be the awesome BugBrand touchplate - wish there were more of them available to buy (in Euro)!!!
Soy Sos
I started out in that Yahoo group (before I found Muff's) Hug
I voted no, because like so many others, what I'm really interested in is something more like BugBrand's or a mini Serge TKB like device that I can drive with my MFB SEQ-01 or trigger/clock from Silent Way. blablabla......
Cybananna
Yep, the bugbrand looks good. Since I have both frac and euro, I'd like to get one someday.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1