MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Lets see your DIY Euro Cases, I need some inspiration!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Lets see your DIY Euro Cases, I need some inspiration!!!
D/A A/D
So yeah, I really do need some inspiration... My MFOS board showed up and I am about to populate it, still need to figure out where to mount it in the case however...

Also need to figure out how to mount the bus board, has anyone mounted it flat instead of vertical???

cheers

Alex
sandyb
mine is pictured in this thread

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=877

sandy
flts
Old'ish pictures from when I didn't have more modules yet, but the case construction remains the same and I don't have a digicam handy right now. Note the convenient patch cable & utility stuff bag that's permanently fixed to the cover of the case hihi

J.w.M.
That's a really great looking case, Fits. Eventually, I want to build something basically along those lines.
parasitk
Beautiful case!
flts
Thanks!

It was actually a cheap job, the metal chassis and the wood around it are from an old distribution amp I got for free - it was Eurorack standard, I just stripped the contents off (salvaged the interesting parts including some old Beyer mic input trafos) and trimmed it to be a bit less deep so I could get a suitcase-style box. I actually may have enough material for another similar box because of that... My friend was already asking me whether I'd donate the remaining stuff to him so he could extend his System 100M with some euro stuff, haha.

The front and the back panels are plywood, and the patch cable bag is a gift from the local city transport company, oddly enough. The only things I actually had to buy were the nice vintage-style handle, the locks and the Doepfer DIY kit. And of course the modules lol
D/A A/D
flts wrote:
Thanks!

It was actually a cheap job, the metal chassis and the wood around it are from an old distribution amp I got for free - it was Eurorack standard, I just stripped the contents off (salvaged the interesting parts including some old Beyer mic input trafos) and trimmed it to be a bit less deep so I could get a suitcase-style box. I actually may have enough material for another similar box because of that... My friend was already asking me whether I'd donate the remaining stuff to him so he could extend his System 100M with some euro stuff, haha.

The front and the back panels are plywood, and the patch cable bag is a gift from the local city transport company, oddly enough. The only things I actually had to buy were the nice vintage-style handle, the locks and the Doepfer DIY kit. And of course the modules lol

Hows the DIY kit??? I was going to go that route, but the MFOS kit was a cheaper option, I also like the idea of being able to pick my components.

Did you just mount a dc in to the side of the case?
flts
The cheaper dual SMPS kit (kit 2 I guess?) is probably pretty much crap, but the "better" DIY kit that I have is just fine as far as power stability goes, I've had no problems whatsoever. I have a bit bigger setup now than the one pictured, including ASys VCO + VCA + ADSR and Polivoks VCF and a CGS Real RM, and everything seems to work and sound great.

I haven't actually settled on whether I'll put a power connector to the back panel or make a 8HP panel that has the power connector and possibly some extra stuff. Right now, I just run wires straight thru the open area in the rails - works but isn't too neat.

I was originally going to get a ring core transformer PSU from Doepfer or some other company, and the bus boards etc separately, but the DIY kit was so cheap (in EU) that I just decided to get that and be done with it. At least it'll probably be easier if / when I get a spring verb to the system, because the transformer is outside the case now...
sandyb
sorry - being lazy earlier - here's a picture of my case. it's 4 x 84hp. i'm using the doepfer diy kit 1 too and have no issues with it at all. at the moment i'm using approximately 650ma of the 1200ma available with 3 busboards. i'll easily power the rest of the modules that i plan to get to fill this case with it and still have some capacity left.
@fits - nice case - i like the portability of it

sgnhh
sandy, how is that Evil Twin Filter? I keep going back and forth between that and the M12.

FYI: I bought the DIY kit #1 from Analogue Haven and they shipped it with an incorrect power transformer. Everything powered up and worked, but I got considerable line hum--to the point where it drove me nuts, so I took my box apart and resold the kit. The person I sold it to said he just got a new power transformer and everything worked fine.

Now I've got a A100 suitcase and I wouldn't even think about building my own rig, despite how much you can save. Apparently I just don't know enough about power consumption to do it right?
flts
sandyb, That's a damn cool case you have... The classic curved / sloped design I would've gone for too, if only I didn't live in an insanely small room and decided to constrain myself to building just a 2x84HP little setup (yes, I know, I know... lol )
sandyb
sgnhh wrote:
sandy, how is that Evil Twin Filter? I keep going back and forth between that and the M12.

FYI: I bought the DIY kit #1 from Analogue Haven and they shipped it with an incorrect power transformer. Everything powered up and worked, but I got considerable line hum--to the point where it drove me nuts, so I took my box apart and resold the kit. The person I sold it to said he just got a new power transformer and everything worked fine.

Now I've got a A100 suitcase and I wouldn't even think about building my own rig, despite how much you can save. Apparently I just don't know enough about power consumption to do it right?

the evil twin is very different to the other filters i have which are more "standard" low pass type ones. i'm still in the early days with it as i haven't had this system very long. if you want the classic low pass sweep type sounds it's probably not the filter for you. i think of it more as a sound shaper (if that makes sense) than my other filters - i use it to really alter the tone/timbre of the model 15 oscs. i've never used a model 12 but i think it's more on "traditional" lines. if you want any specific demos let me know and i'll try to post something up.
sorry to hear about your diy kit problems.
i got mine directly from doepfer with the external transformer they supply, it's been fine but i was a bit worried prior to powering it up as i'd read about a few people having issues confused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1