MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

toppobrillo triplewavefolder DIY- interest in 2nd run?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  

would you be interested in ____?
PCB only
37%
 37%  [ 42 ]
PCB and all PCB-mounted parts
62%
 62%  [ 70 ]
Total Votes : 112

Author toppobrillo triplewavefolder DIY- interest in 2nd run?
toppobrillo
UPDATE: I created a simple page to handle the ordering process [via paypal] if you would like to pay another way or prefer anything but standard post shipping, PM me. If there are any questions or oversights please let me know, the shipping and pricing should be correct.

Here is the ordering page:

http://toppobrillo.com/TWFDIY.html

the ordering window [for the 1st batch] is around 10 days from today, at that point I will send off for PCBs/ the parts for the kits will be here sooner than the PCBs so I will be shipping your orders by christmas time. remember that the PO tends to get slower around then of course!

yes I am taking preorders, and while I know preorders for certain items here in these forums haven't turned out well, or, at all meh these boards and myself are a known quantity and you can count on communication and honesty about delivery times. you will get an update here everytime something is ordered/received and when your items ship.

I will be ordering extra PCBs of course, but parts, not too much, count on a 2-3 week lead time for bulk parts-orders. This means if you place a KIT order after the initial qty. of kits is gone, your kit order will take a little while [I will update the ordering page with this information]. PCBs should be plentiful.

Hi, I finished my first run of Euro modules!

http://toppobrillo.com/TBmmCO/TWF.html

now i think it's time to offer up the DIY option. I can order PCBs right away, the kits will take a few weeks to get together.

There aren't any hard to find parts at all, full printed documentation will be provided to those who order, BOM can be emailed so you can get a jump on ordering parts.

The pricing is as follows, PCB only $20, PCB and all PCB mounted parts, 65$ this includes machined-pin IC sockets.

Infos::

The PCB is fairly dense with 9 ICs and 6 trimmers. It measures 3" x 4.2" [fits between euro and frac rails]

there are provisions for both Euro power as well as MOTM, the board is double sided, green soldermask with yellow silkscreen. All connections are brought out to the edges of the board and grouped into 3 and 4-pin .1" header pads.

some of the the bypass capacitors are large SMD pads under some ICs. you could easily solder small ceramic caps here if you like.

please ask if you have any questions, vote in the poll above please so I can gauge interest on this.

thanks for looking!
Luka
says yes even tho i promised not to buy any more pcbs smile
parasitk
Sweet! Voted yes. I'd still like to hear more straight forward sound clips of this one too.
DGTom
SlayerBadger!
johnnymad
if a panel comes with the kit, i'm in.
toppobrillo
Quote:

maybe, but I am out of panels for now. I expect to be ordering more in 4-6 weeks.
NV
johnnymad wrote:

Definitely agree with this. Having the option to purchase the panel as well would sell me immediately.
panda30y
i'd be down for one. Any normalized jacks? Doesn't appear to be any. Building this in banana frac.
scozbor
might be interested but my wavefolding needs will probably be fulfilled when i finish the doomsday machine
toppobrillo
Quote:
Any normalized jacks?

yes- there are quite a few in the euro module. 6 i think- the normallization could be implemented in a simpler fashion with a few switches though. [or 1 switch for 'series' mode ala serge triple waveshaper] or you could leave it patch-programmable, either way. I will include instructions on different wiring arrangements for various functionality.
krelnarb
I'd be in for a PCB/Parts kit.
gwaidan
I'd be in for a PCB. Also for a panel if available....
Funky40
i'm in for 1 or 2 PCBs
spbaker
i'd be in for a full kit with panel SlayerBadger!
goiks
+1 for a panel as well
apfEID
how difficult is the build for beginners (some experience soldering but not much)
Junk Rhythm
apfEID wrote:
how difficult is the build for beginners (some experience soldering but not much)

It's a fairly easy and straight forward build.
panda30y
Junk Rhythm wrote:
apfEID wrote:

I would agree, but there is a little SMD work, so that might be a little difficult, but shouldn't be too bad.
Junk Rhythm
panda30y wrote:
Junk Rhythm wrote:
apfEID wrote:

I would agree, but there is a little SMD work, so that might be a little difficult, but shouldn't be too bad.

The SMD part is really easy. If I remember correctly there are only 6 SMD capacitors that go on there. You'll need a pair of tweezers to line them up and then it's steady hands from there.
gde
im in for a PCB, but i didnt vote because i did so over at electro-music 8_)
toppobrillo
the SMD pads are relatively large, you can easily solder small ceramic leaded caps on them if you want.
toppobrillo
ordering page is up:

werock
toppobrillo wrote:
ordering page is up:

Minor point, on the DIY kit option you have got the Euro & MOTM options listed as 12v in the drop down hmmm.....
toppobrillo
Quote:
Minor point, on the DIY kit option you have got the Euro & MOTM options listed as 12v in the drop down hmmm.....

ah thanks , i'll fix it thumbs up

edit: should be fixed now- fixing the PCB only option now for discounted shipping on 4 or more PCBs.
e-grad
Thanks for supporting DIY! Highly appreciated!

Any hard to get parts involved?
toppobrillo
Quote:
Any hard to get parts involved?

nope, everything is available at mouser
parasitk
I'd still love to hear some straight up audio clips. Nothing fancy, just straight-up waveforms being folded.

Edit: Something like b3nsf's killer Serge Triple Waveshaper demo:
http://www.b3nsf.com/Serge/Serge_tripleWaveShaper.aif
toppobrillo
sure, no problem- i can do something later this evening 8_)
parasitk
toppobrillo wrote:

Thanks!

I'm not suggesting your folder has to sound like the Serge, I just mean I'd like to hear that kind of basic demo. thumbs up
sduck
Cool! Just ordered 2 pcb's. Is the only difference between the 12v and 15v version the power connector used, or is there any other differences in the pcb's?
Luka
before i order some pcbs what sort of parts does it use?
wondering if i have the IC in stock already
wetterberg
parasitk wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:

Thanks!

I'm not suggesting your folder has to sound like the Serge, I just mean I'd like to hear that kind of basic demo. thumbs up
yeah - saw osc in, manual modulation, and then move the output jack up to get double and triple wavefolding outputs. Yum.
Funky40
ordered two Boards,
thanks alot for the offer !
parasitk
wetterberg wrote:
parasitk wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:

Thanks!

yeah - saw osc in, manual modulation, and then move the output jack up to get double and triple wavefolding outputs. Yum.

help
Popski
yeah.. just ordered 2 pcbs..
is there a BOM kicking around somewhere?

this is great though Toppo
applause
Veqtor
Just ordered a pcb w00t
GrobbingThistle
So, being a discouraged DIY fuck-up (nothing I have built so far works cry very frustrating ) I bought the fully populated version. In this pic, it looks like the jacks and pots are board mounted

Am I understanding correctly that these do not come installed? Any chance you could share the Mouser part number for these puppies? That site makes my head spin & my last order was entirely wrong (my own fault)

Oh and thanks so much for offering this up in a poor-folks friendly format!! Those sound samples on your page are the most appealing I think I have ever heard. My Anti-Osc is going to sound SO GOOD through this thing.
panda30y
I don't think it comes w/ the pcb for the jacks and pots, just the main pcb. Although I could be wrong. seriously, i just don't get it
qu.one
johnnymad wrote:

go acrylic and make your own! I might actually make one of these...

johnnymad
qu.one wrote:
johnnymad wrote:

go acrylic and make your own! I might actually make one of these...

bring it on! i'm sure a bunch of people would be into that too.
parasitk
parasitk wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
parasitk wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:

Thanks!

help

So does it make sound? screaming goo yo
parasitk
Fuck it, I ordered one! SlayerBadger!
toppobrillo
Quote:
Fuck it, I ordered one! SlayerBadger!

hey hahah sorry! i recorded some stuff with my 4track then i realized my laptop's audio input is fucked. seriously, i just don't get it it will have to wait until i can get to my other computer.

ordering window is coming to a close! get them in by early next week if possible!
krelnarb
I tried to order the 15v PCB & parts with header but Paypal said:

"PayPal cannot process this transaction because of a problem with the seller's website. Please contact the seller directly to resolve this problem."

The 12v options work seem to work fine. Should I PM you for a 15v kit?

Thanks
toppobrillo
Quote:
tried to order the 15v PCB & parts with header but Paypal said:

hmm.. i'll try fixing it, for the mean time, just put 15V in the notes, I'll see it.. thanks for yur order and letting me know..

josh
DGTom
I'll be placing an order in roughly 12 hours.... hope I'm not too late hyper
toppobrillo
I'll be placing an order in roughly 12 hours.... hope I'm not too late hyper

nah yur fine!
valis
Luka wrote:
says yes even tho i promised not to buy any more pcbs smile

That's exactly where I'm at. I just ordered one, I figured I'd regret it if I didn't..
toppobrillo
Quote:
tried to order the 15v PCB & parts with header but Paypal said:

hmm.. i'll try fixing it, for the mean time, just put 15V in the notes, I'll see it.. thanks for yur order and letting me know..

josh

should be fixed..
Cat-A-Tonic
So, once this short window for ordering PCBs and parts kits is closed...
Will there be another run in the future?
What is the likelihood of a complete parts kit with panel?

The shallow, parallel mounting is very nice.
The panel design is great.
e-grad
Any chance for a parts list? I'm going to order parts soon and like to include those parts for the Wavefolder not in my project box.
toppobrillo
Quote:
Any chance for a parts list?

Hi - if you have ordered a board or kit, i will be emailing you a BOM this week.
e-grad
Great! Thanks! w00t
wetterberg
IBTL, hehe.

I just paid 14usd shipping for a flat envelope - shit better be good, toppobrillo!

w00t This is fun!
toppobrillo
Quote:
I just paid 14usd shipping for a flat envelope - shit better be good, toppobrillo!

what, the envelope or the kit? 8_) the kits are shipping in USPS flate-rate boxes, which are $12.95 shipped overseas [these simplify things]. any extra i make on shipping helps with paypal fees and goes towards lots of little baggies and whatnot so it definitely works out. bare PCBs can ship in flat envelopes for about half.
DGTom
$27 for this board seems like a freakin killer deal to me thumbs up
dkcg
Any word on if a kit with faceplate will be available? If so, I'm in. I miss the smell of soldering... Mr. Green
wetterberg
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:

what, the envelope or the kit? 8_) the kits are shipping in USPS flate-rate boxes, which are $12.95 shipped overseas [these simplify things]. any extra i make on shipping helps with paypal fees and goes towards lots of little baggies and whatnot so it definitely works out. bare PCBs can ship in flat envelopes for about half.
niiice! And yes, of course I'm not *really* complaining when I obviously didn't mind ponying up the cash, hehe. thumbs up "flatrate boxes" was all you had to say!

Yeah, I'm horrible at buying parts, so getting the kit is such a great thing. I really do wish more people would offer kits in general.
panda30y
applause
money bags
opps just got paid i hope i can still get in on this
GrobbingThistle
Any word on when these will be shipping? I'm just wondering if I'm going to have time to slap this together before some out of town gigs coming up.
money bags
just talked to "the dude" dont expect it this month. early next month. well...depending im waiting for some 281 boards so maybe you will get it sooner..
GrobbingThistle
krusephilip wrote:
just talked to "the dude" dont expect it this month. early next month. well...depending im waiting for some 281 boards so maybe you will get it sooner..

got it -- i reckon it won't kill me to wait, it's just gonna sound so good with my xmas maths & anti-oscillator

hey man, didn't we play a show in greensboro, nc together?
money bags
could be whats your project callled?
GrobbingThistle
krusephilip wrote:
could be whats your project callled?

America Reads. Actually I've thought about it and we definitely played on the same bill at the Maya Gallery. Your set was real good.
Veqtor
So, will there be panels we can order?

edit:

Did anyone get the BOM? I don't seem to have gotten it...
money bags
I don't have the BOM

Quote:
America Reads. Actually I've thought about it and we definitely played on the same bill at the Maya Gallery. Your set was real good.

That was a fun show, do you see Justin (CFVSIII) around?
i have one of your cassettes it gets some play time in chicago even if its only in my apartment.
e-grad
krusephilip wrote:
I don't have the BOM

Does anyone got the BOM yet?
LeandroBarros
Hi. I want one 12v kit if available. Can i order one?

Many thanks
thermionicjunky
LeandroBarros wrote:

Many thanks

It looks like the order page is still active.
LeandroBarros
thermionicjunky wrote:
LeandroBarros wrote:

Many thanks

It looks like the order page is still active.

Thanks thermio.

I´m on it. 1 kit. hihi
panda30y
e-grad wrote:
krusephilip wrote:
I don't have the BOM

Does anyone got the BOM yet?

On the order page it says all pertinent build documentation will be mailed w/ the kit. Although he did say he was going to email it in a previous post...
e-grad
Thanks for the info!
parasitk
So ... any updates on this?
Funky40
me too like to know.
BOM would be great to have
toppobrillo
hello everyone just wanted to let you all know the boards are on their way here should be here in less than 2 wks.. the BOM is on its way up- I'll send linx- this is embarassing but i guess i lost some of my notes in my recent move it seems so i have to double check the 15V part changes to be sure.. lame i know!
decaying.sine
I ordered a stuffed board. Sounds like it will be a couple of months. Is that about right? Thanks for the update.
toppobrillo
Quote:
I ordered a stuffed board. Sounds like it will be a couple of months. Is that about right? Thanks for the update.

nah- i have 6 hands hihi i mean a couple helpers! only got a few orders for pre-built ones. building more for retail the last week of the month, so i will be doing these pretty much at the same time.
decaying.sine
toppobrillo wrote:
nah- i have 6 hands hihi

Creepy. I want a refund! lol
Junk Rhythm
decaying.sine wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:
nah- i have 6 hands hihi

Creepy. I want a refund! lol

What's wrong with my hands? seriously, i just don't get it hihi
GrobbingThistle
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:

nah- i have 6 hands hihi i mean a couple helpers! only got a few orders for pre-built ones. building more for retail the last week of the month, so i will be doing these pretty much at the same time.

Really looking forward to this. Trouble is, I totally zoned out on having ordered one and filled up my case d'oh!
Veqtor
Umm, so... Any possibility of getting to order a euro panel?
toppobrillo
Quote:

not at the moment, you would have to use all the parts i use in the module which might not be very easy or economical. better i thought to avoid all the mechanical support in this. there are options for panels though, and by all means feel free to use the layout or art, i can send an illustrator file to help if desired.
money bags
toppobrillo
do you have a date on when you will have them? and the 281 boards?
Junk Rhythm
krusephilip wrote:
toppobrillo
do you have a date on when you will have them? and the 281 boards?

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:28 pm
toppobrillo wrote:
hello everyone just wanted to let you all know the boards are on their way here should be here in less than 2 wks..
money bags
Rasta-nana
toppobrillo
i got an email today saying they've shipped, i would bet there here by monday [18th]
Veqtor
But... what about a BOM?
money bags
Quote:

i got an email today saying they've shipped, i would bet there here by monday [18th]

did you get the 281 boards at the same time?
valis
Have the triplewavefolder pcbs shipped yet? I'm still waiting on mine..
GrobbingThistle
valis wrote:
Have the triplewavefolder pcbs shipped yet? I'm still waiting on mine..

same here, still waiting to hear about these.
wetterberg
on the 14th of December, money bags wrote:
I'd really like to get started on this project. And I'm a bit weary from not hearing anything at all about it for nearly two months now.

I get the fact that the Sport Modulator thing is taking up some effort, but surely this should ship soon, right?

Andreas (don't be impatient, don't be impatient, don't be impatient.)
parasitk
wetterberg wrote:
I'd really like to get started on this project. And I'm a bit weary from not hearing anything at all about it for nearly two months now.

Yep, I'm itching to get started on it as well. An update would be great! Rage!
toppobrillo
haha yeah i very much appreciate your patiences.. did the first batch of mailings last week, [all 281 orders other than combined orders] by tommorrow all the 281s and TWF PCB only orders will have been shipped out-

emailing out teh BOM today, please let me know if you haven't received it by tommorrow eve. i'm just using the paypal email addresses. got the flat-rate boxes for all the other stuff in, waiting for headers and a couple other things in the mail.. my paypal debit was held up by 'suspicious transactions' and so a couple orders i made never processed! they are very liberal with use of this 'service'.

BTW the post office in my new neighborhood is making me do customs forms for the small PCB envelopes. I haven't had to do these for this type of mail before so I really hope there are no issues on your ends!

working on the build documentation now too, not much to do really just a little wiring diagram or so..
decaying.sine
topp,

would you be able to share panel files (e.g., fpd) for the TWF?

You don't have any extra 281's do you?
toppobrillo
hi yes I can send you the panel art in PDF if you like, i dont have an FPD file for it. if yo umake one u should post it for others who might be interested.. FYI if you got a group buy together for panels, at around 50 pcs, metalphoto prices are very reasonable. oh and yes I thnk I have extra 281 brds. PM me and ill get back to you
toppobrillo
the link to the BOM should have been sent to everyone who ordered, please get in touch if you didn't get an email.. I just used the paypal emails,,
Veqtor
Wow, that's a lot of IC's! SlayerBadger!
DGTom
woah

I'd ask if the 072 was a an OK sub. but, with 6 of them the lower power draw is prob. a good thing; will have to grab some 062s....

So glad I just ordered 25 13700s!
parasitk

Arrived today, thanks! SlayerBadger!
money bags
shit, that thing looks massive! maybe its just how dense it is.
parasitk
It's not a very big board:

toppobrillo wrote:
The PCB is fairly dense with 9 ICs and 6 trimmers. It measures 3" x 4.2"
Veqtor
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:

not at the moment, you would have to use all the parts i use in the module which might not be very easy or economical. better i thought to avoid all the mechanical support in this. there are options for panels though, and by all means feel free to use the layout or art, i can send an illustrator file to help if desired.

An illustrator file would be great!
e-grad
Just have received the pcb. Thanks!
Veqtor
Just received the pcb but where are the build instructions? seriously, i just don't get it

Too bad about only getting the pcb with the core-parts, I was looking to make an identical twf but now I need to cad, etch and drill my own panel-part pcb, which takes a lot of time... =/

What's the full american industry name (as in what the hell I'm going to look for at mouser if I am to find it) for the PCB interconnects commonly used by every manufacturer and in this module? These things are really hard to find if you don't know what they're called...

edit:
Where should I buy .100"/2.54mm through-hole centerline PCB connectors from, a place which is not mouser (since they can't sort their products properly)
Funky40
thanks Topp, got the boards

Veqtor wrote:

edit:
Where should I buy .100"/2.54mm through-hole centerline PCB connectors from, a place which is not mouser (since they can't sort their products properly)

Reichelt / Banzai / musikding have prewired ones which are very handy.
Reichelt number: PS 25/ 2G WS. ( 2G is the pinnumber, WS is for white. there is also brown which differ a bit in size, but is cheaper )

guess no 4pin versions at reichelt, but Banzai and Musikding have 4 pin versions.
Banzai and Musikding are good for small packages ( cheap or ok, shippingrates )

hmmmm....spacing is very dense beside the headers on that PCB.
guess the brown ones from reichelt are then the best.( sizes vary ( a little) !!!
monokinetic
Veqtor wrote:
Just received the pcb but where are the build instructions?

Josh / Topp has sent a few mails recently re: the link and password required for the BOM. His last mail of Tuesday this week mentioned that the build docs will be up soon.

Have you been getting his mails?

David
mirri
Am i correct when assuming i can still order a TWF? Since the order page is still up?

/m
toppobrillo
@veqtor- yeah that sounds like alot of trouble, why not just use panel mount pots? the first build docs are up now.

@mirri yes you can stil order anytime
DGTom
Not sure if this has been covered...

What size SMD caps are needed?

Also there are several referances to "see notes" in the BOM... but those aren't in the build notes right?

help
toppobrillo
Hi I use 0805 size but the pads are big enough for 1206. yes part B of the documentation will be up soon.
DGTom
SlayerBadger! I'm 99% done with the board.

Gotta say, even tho its really dense, its been a super easy build. I just have that one 150K resistor to do, I might just go ghetto & sub the SMDs for ceramics; they are just decoupling caps right?
money bags
will the face plate layout be available?
toppobrillo
Quote:
will the face plate layout be available?

updated

goiks
here's mine.

happy to share the .fpd, if interested send pm with email address.
cv slime 800
That loiks great goiks! SlayerBadger! The symbols, letters and hardware all cohere really well.

Gonna have to have a think about a faceplate design for when my kit arrives... hmmm.....
toppobrillo
Quote:
here's mine.

whoa! 8_) 8_) great job
wetterberg
goiks wrote:
here's mine.
How much did this panel end up costing? Would be interested if it isn't too dear.

EDIT: - Because it's so damned awesome and will go great just next to my qmmg!
goiks
thanks! it was 36.19 usd with the infilled engraving. I think you could save $8 by using a lacquer stick, but for this one I thought the infill was worth it.
Funky40
@Topp

which trimmers do you take ?
I wanted to solder the good ones i have from Haible projects, guess Burns, those are too big. eek!
the cheap black ones i have are too big too , but guess there is also a smaller variant available
toppobrillo
the pads take either a 2.5-3mm or a 5mm lead spacing. the ones i just ordered are here:

http://www.piher-nacesa.com/pdf/09-N6v03.pdf

in the past I have used the ones from futurlec here:

http://www.futurlec.com/PotTrim.shtml

hope that helps!
Funky40
thanks, found some here by chance.
board is populated, only the outresistors left.
question:
for more outgain, do i increase or decrease the value ?
do you have a value you would recommend for hot outputs ?

edit:
did i missed the docs part 2 ?
Veqtor
goiks wrote:
here's mine.

Sorry for the bump, but I'd really like that fpd file, how did you mount the board to the faceplate?
parasitk
Bump!

Any anyone have a Mouser friendly (importable) BOM for this? Mr. Green
goiks
i finally got this together. man, does it sound incredible, and the vc-ability of it is beyond any of the other wavefolders i've had.

i'm wondering if anyone here has any tips for dialing in the trimmers.
carynrich
finally starting to build this one but i have a question on the build doc. sorry if i'm being obtuse.

in the diagram below, are the angled lines connecting to the tip, the vertical lines connecting to normal, and horizontal lines connecting to the sleeve? as i write this it sounds obvious, but wanted to double check before i start connecting the flying wires.

so basically it doesn't matter if the line rests on the inner circle, outer circle or the small arc cause in the full diagram, all the lines rest on the inner circle.

thanks!
toppobrillo
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:26 am Post subject:
finally starting to build this one but i have a question on the build doc. sorry if i'm being obtuse.

in the diagram below, are the angled lines connecting to the tip, the vertical lines connecting to normal, and horizontal lines connecting to the sleeve? as i write this it sounds obvious, but wanted to double check before i start connecting the flying wires.

so basically it doesn't matter if the line rests on the inner circle, outer circle or the small arc cause in the full diagram, all the lines rest on the inner circle.

thanks!

not sure if i understand your question correctly- but in the full diagram, it doesnt matter what angle the lines are coming in or out, just where they sit. so for instance on the OUT1 jack u pictured, those 2 green lines are the same connection. sorry if it is confusing!
carynrich
oh ok. so i guess i was reading it right the first time. thanks!
Veqtor
There are 5 smd pads, but I can't see them being specified anywhere in the documentation... are they the .1uF?
.1uF is specified as having the qty 4... seriously, i just don't get it
toppobrillo
Quote:
There are 5 smd pads, but I can't see them being specified anywhere in the documentation... are they the .1uF?
.1uF is specified as having the qty 4...

don't worry about those. they are really necessary, only there as a precaution against unforseen issues that didn't exist- plenty of bypassing on the top side. if you want to install them they are actually meant to be .01 and tho the pad size is technically for 1206- 0805s fit just fine. the 4x .1s refer to the thru hole caps.
Veqtor
Thanks, it works really great, I followed some advice from my friend nitro2k01 and put in some germanium diodes instead of the silicone ones. Works great! (don't try this at home, he must have tried 10 before he found ones that were interchangeable with 1n4148)

Unfortunatly we only had two LM13700 to try it with.

Some scope action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szGraRsyLuk
Neutron7
Is this board ever going to be available again?
toppobrillo
Quote:
I followed some advice from my friend nitro2k01 and put in some germanium diodes instead of the silicone ones. Works great! (don't try this at home, he must have tried 10 before he found ones that were interchangeable with 1n4148)

hi- it looks liek you subbed for the zeners which are there to limit the amplitude and actually do a nice soft job of it. did you try these? i think youll find it works and sounds better imo, esp once you get the 3rd stage built
Veqtor
we used zeners where zeners were supposed to be used... well, temperature compensated ones but that shouldn't matter... or?

hmm, what do the 1n4148's do?
toppobrillo
Quote:
we used zeners where zeners were supposed to be used... well, temperature compensated ones but that shouldn't matter... or?

hmm, what do the 1n4148's do?

which part #? they appear to be limiting the output to around 8-9VP if your scope's vertical is at cal. they also appear to turn on awfully sharp-

the 3 4148/914s dont contribute anything to the sound, they are only there to keep the transistors in the drivers from becoming reverse biased
sduck
I'm getting this one rolling - question - in the BOM R22 says see notes, but can't find anything about that here or there - ???

Anyone have a working motm design?
toppobrillo
Quote:
in the BOM R22 says see notes, but can't find anything about that here or there - ???

hi there- sorry no notes! the note is- include if you want to normailze DC offset as per the euro module, don't if you don't. see the wiring diagram.. leme know if you have other questions.
sduck
I do indeed have another question!

In the BOM, after several of the resistors, there is a red insert that say "use xx for 15v version". I'm building a 15v version. Just want some clarification and reassurance - do I sub the red value for ALL the resistors of the specified value in all cases? For instance, the 270K ones, it's pretty clear I think, I'm supposed to sub 330K for all of them (right?). But for the 10K resistors, do I sub the 7.5K ones for all of them, or just the R72 that the note is after? Similarly for the 20K, 30K, and 7.5K ones?

Also, perhaps you could elaborate on the R22 issue - I suppose I want to normalize DC offset, I think. I guess it's what all the cool euro guys do. Actually, I have no idea - what does normalizing the DC offset do? What does it mean? I suppose it'd be easy enough to attach the resistor in such a way that experimenting with it wouldn't be a problem.
studiokpg
Any chance of another run of the kits being done? Please please please???
zyathus
yes, please!

damn, not enough posts to vote :(
active
also would be super interested in this! i voted yes!
sduck
Since Muff was down for 4 days, I emailed Josh (Topp) directly about my questions. He directed me to do all the substitutions for the 270K, 390K and 7.5K ones, but not to do the other subs. He reports that no-one else has built a 15v version, so i'm kind of a guinea pig here - if it works, great, if it doesn't we'll see what it needs.

I'd still like to hear about the R22 question - ?

Thanks Josh!
toppobrillo
haha no I actually designed the circuit at 15V and later adapted it for 12.. regarding control sensitivity- euro control range is specified [by doepfer envelopes] at 0-8V. so the euro module is designed for 8V sensitivity at the cv ins, but your system would be 0-10V, so the 7.5K swapped for 10K in each circuit takes care of that, the 3 externally mounted resistors, R72,73,74 are there to set the amt of 'all' cv CTL to each folder to make for a nice series sweep where the folds come in at good times..
the peak amplitude of the shapers is going to be a bit higher in your circuit on average than in the 12V version, and that has alot to do with how the next shaper in a series handles, so these resistors could need to be tweaked imo but it will sound good in any case, just me being picky- so do all that other stuff and when u get to these, lets compare sweeps smile
DGTom
I built the 15V version awhile back,
actually, too long to remember if I did anything special

I think I just followed the build instructions, replaced those resistors etc. & it works great.

With that many trimmers I'm 100% sure its "off" compared to factory set-up ones, but, I just ran tris & sines into it & got it to sound nice.
Luka
i got a pcb!! woot
sduck
Thought I'd post my finished version here:

Toppobrillo Triple Wavefolder profile by sduck409, on Flickr

If anyone wants the fpd file, I'll post it in the yahoo modularsynthpanels group.
lazerkind
Luka wrote:
i got a pcb!! woot

Congratulations,

But This thread is very confusing.
Was there recent rerun of PCB's or what?
Always wanted a diy twf but thought I missed the ordering train when this thread stared years back? seriously, i just don't get it

//L
sduck
I grabbed a pcb on the initial run. There hasn't been a second one ...yet.

No need to be confused, although this thread was started in late 2009, there's been fairly constant activity with the people who bought these, hence the thread lives. If you want a pcb, sometimes someone will have one they're not using if you put a shout out. Or if enough people gang up, putting pressure on Topp, maybe he'll consider another run of these. And there are other wavefolder pcb's out there...
Luka
i missed the first round.

i bugged topp about a re-run and he said that the pcbs are made differently today and thus DIY pcbs don't fit his production mode easily

i had to wait for one to come up second hand - thanks brian!!
toppobrillo
edited the subject to reflect the current state of things smile

I could do another run of bare boards if there was enough interest. I won't be doing kits again though, too much part sorting help

BTW I think there is a way to create a BOM through mouser or something and link to it so someone building the project can simply click it and add all parts to their cart at once, but Ive never done this..
skweeegor
I'd be down for one or two boards.
wavehead
Definitely down for boards, even though I just recently bought a new TWF I could definitely use at least one more.
falafelbiels
Oh yes I would be in!
toppobrillo
hmm.. OK well lets gauge the interest then- I must have at least a dozen PMs or so with requests. I'll reedit the subject again,

plz PM me with your interested qtys. so I can get a count
falafelbiels
Promptly PM'd.
auftauchend
hi i would definitly take two boards. depending on cost maybe more..i love the sounds of this module ! especially that you can work with it in a very subtle,musical way. i would replace two of my filters with it..
i ll send my pm as well
greetings from berlin to all, this is my first post here at muffwiggler. what a great site.
cleaninglady
I'm in , have PM'ed

cL
PF
So pm'ed, lets hope theres a rerun again... we're not worthy
Blinkar blå
pm'ed.
Rod Serling Fan Club
pm'd for a couple
decaying.sine
Luka wrote:
i missed the first round.

i bugged topp about a re-run and he said that the pcbs are made differently today and thus DIY pcbs don't fit his production mode easily

i had to wait for one to come up second hand - thanks brian!!

SlayerBadger!
rico loverde
Down for 2
active
PMd for one, will probably get two though!
negativspace
PM sent. w00t
FingerTappin
PM sent
lordofthebored
private message sent. Rockin' Banana!
jarvis
man I hope there's more interest than has been reflected in this thread. I pm'd about a couple myself but if this thread's tally is anything close to the actual tally, we just might be SOL

sad banana
skweeegor
jarvis wrote:
man I hope there's more interest than has been reflected in this thread. I pm'd about a couple myself but if this thread's tally is anything close to the actual tally, we just might be SOL

sad banana

Topp said he needs about 12 pms to make a run, and by my count there are are 14 people who have expressed interest, so we might be good.
chocolatyshatner
PM'd for a board
jarvis
skweeegor wrote:
Topp said he needs about 12 pms to make a run, and by my count there are are 14 people who have expressed interest, so we might be good.

woah.. that's waaay lower than i thought would be necessary. please disregard my thoughts of doom... Taped Shut
Rod Serling Fan Club
I also think that some people probably aren't noticing this because it is in an old thread. They probably think all these posts are related to troubleshooting or something.
falafelbiels
The topic title is pretty clear isn't it?
negativspace
There are 'NEW PRODUCTION RUN'-titled threads referring to a 'new' run several years in the past though, it might help to throw a '2011' in there so people know it's current. I assumed it was not when I first read it, but clicked anyway out of a sense of boundless optimism. (Glad I did.)
Rod Serling Fan Club
Exactly, this thread was created for a previous run not the current one.
perplx
PM'd re: I want one. love
PF
Any news for the second run ?
toppobrillo
Hi guys- about to reorder these finally, Ill be PMing those whove expressed interest to confirm, if you want on the list lemme know, thanks!
negativspace
I want on the list! (PM sent.)
Rod Serling Fan Club
toppobrillo wrote:
Hi guys- about to reorder these finally, Ill be PMing those whove expressed interest to confirm, if you want on the list lemme know, thanks!

SlayerBadger!
303monkey
I'll take 1+1=2
decaying.sine
I'd like 3 bare PCBs please. Hot triple on triple action for me! fap fap fap...

I sent a PM as well.
falafelbiels
toppobrillo wrote:

Sitting here, staring at my inbox... w00t
rico loverde
def want on the list, 2 or more for me
skweeegor
2 for me please
boothnavy
Yes, four, please.
ATOM
pm sent.

Guinness ftw!

ATOM
mikecameron
Put me on that list for 2!
lazerkind
And I'm late to the party as ususal... w00t
Pm'ed for 1 (I hope that was clear)
ChrisR
I've already expressed my interest via PM & mail some time ago.
But just to be sure i don't miss out (again meh ):
Interested in one PCB thumbs up
Norman_Phay
I would be interested in 2 x bare PCB for this, please.
Rod Serling Fan Club
I'm still in for 2
SMS303
Tempting.... very tempting...
I really must resist...
I have to save more for the Fenix II and Best of CGS project...
grrrr....... very frustrating
wmonk
Interested in 1!
brother303
Hi,

I´m in for one! (PM´d)

thumbs up
perplx
Excellent, I'd like 1 (one) PCB, please.

Thanks!
notimeforlove
I'd be in for 1 board. thanks
moogah
I'm in for a pair 8_)
rosch
i'm still in for 2
(pm'ed earlier this year)
tobias
I'm in for 1. Thank you!
active
by by by money.... Never maintain cash savings again

i'll take 2 at least.....
chocolatyshatner
I'd like 1 please.
Blinkar blå
I'm still interested in 1.
puzzlebox
I would love one of these
JCM
Yeah...I still want 1!
tomcat
One i would like smile
tailwagger
PM for two
mamonu
interested in one (pmed)
bluedonkey
ohhh i'd like one of these!
wavehead
I would like to get 3 of these... hope I'm not too late.
PF
Would buy 2 please. Pcb's....
transistor logic
i would love to have a board with components
lionelfischer
Would anyone be interested in making this in pedal format for $$$ ?
sanders
I would like one board. Do I need to PM Topp?
mig27
Down for two bare boards.
PM'ed!
xi-bot
i want three bare pcb boards - please
also pm'ed
loydb
I'm in for two bare PCBs. PMing as well.

Thanks!
Ankh
When are the production ones going to be restocked in SB? Seems they've been gone for ages.
toppobrillo
Just sent PMs with confirmations/ invoices to all whove expressed interest. If you didnt get one, and ARE interested in getting in on the order, let me know ASAP. thanks!!
moellhoven
I did not get an invoice after my confirmation mail yet. I'd like to get 2 boards please.
boothnavy
So is there a parts kit available?
JCM
Here's my first attempt at a panel (doesn't feel quite right yet). Since I'm using banana's I'll need switches to make up for the normalized connections, no? Will I need more than the four?

To help you make sense of my design; Grey = CV In, Black = Audio Out, White = Audio In.
toppobrillo
update, these boards have all shipped if you paid- I have ~20 left so some haven't come through yet, let me know if that's you, Ill put them up for sale otherwise thanks!
xi-bot
i am missing mine ;-(
three boards to germany
i ordered them on the 6th of july
best.
Rod Serling Fan Club
I suspect he means that they just shipped.
Junk Rhythm
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
I suspect he means that they just shipped.

This is correct. 08/18/2011
xi-bot
got a note now - thanks
was worried it got lost
jarvis
Just got mine. One question already: what are the trimmers for and what is the correct procedure for adjusting them? Can't find it in any of the docs.
toppobrillo
the trimmers: one (the furthest from the power connects) is for "offset" and the inside is for "symmetry". the BEST way to calibrate it is with a clean bipolar 10vp-p triangle as your input source and with a scope. I realize alot of folks dont have access to a scope, so youll have to use your ears.
step 1 is adjust the offset while montoring the output. start with the 1st section. ie patch the test signal into in1a and monitor out1. trim the offset so that the signal is centered a about ground (assuming an ideal test signal) next, trim the symmetry for that section for vertical symmetry. be sure the bias control is all the way down as well as the all control. u may have to go back and tweak the offset slightly after the symmetry. repeat for sections 2 and 3.

if you dont have a scope around, you can still get really close with your ears. theres really no "wrong" way to set it up anyways.. the way i set them up for perfect symmetry. you can add asymetry with any offset at the input.
so by ear, same procedure except youll be listening for odd harmonics. the idea is to trim out any assymetry (both pots affect this, offset to a much subtler degree, but its audible) so start with symmetry, trim the even harmonics out as much as possible, then use offset , then go back if u need to. remember also that any offset at output 1 will create a little assymetry at input 2.. so take them in order.
the trimmers shouldnt have to be tweaked very far either so if you find you gota go all the way ccw or cw with them, somehing is up.

anyways, its really quite simple once u start doing it, maybe ill post somenphotos and addnthis to the page.
sduck
Thanks! I've also been curious about the trimmers. I don't feel much need to wack mine around, as the thing sounds pretty twangy as it is already.
frozenkore
Got mine yesterday, thanks!
active
just got my board in NYC today! along with 2 dual 281s! thanks topp!
negativspace
Got all of my boards today, 281s and TWFs. Thanks, Josh! w00t
decaying.sine
Got my TWF's. Thanks Josh.
PF
Got the boards today.

Thanks Josh
loydb
Arrived, thanks!
falafelbiels
Found em in the doorstep yesterday. Thanks Josh!
brother303
Hm,

still nothing arrived here in Germany... hmmm.....

Any German wiggler received his boards?

Regards
Greg
rosch
nope, not yet. i'll post here as soon as it comes in!
robotfunk
found it in the mailbox yesterday returning from a holiday. Thanks from Amsterdam
brother303
Hi,

rosch wrote:
nope, not yet. i'll post here as soon as it comes in!

Thanks Rosch.

Regards
Greg
auftauchend
ach ja, the famous deutsche post...
nothing arrived in berlin so far.
lets hope its not the catgirlsynth-vs-deutschepost syndrome..
meh
but i sadly have no time for building it now anyway...so i´m patient.
greetings
toppobrillo
no boards yet in berlin?? If youve paid and not yet received boards please PM me.
rosch
yo here also no TWF so far (germany), but i'm sure they'll show up. there have been some huge US-germany shipping delays this year i've not observed in the past. but in the end everything arrived.
fingers crossed 8_)
falafelbiels
There seem so be some pads for smt parts on the solder side of the PCB. What would they be for?
negativspace
Decoupling capacitors. (If it's the same as the 281/2, 0.1uF.)
falafelbiels
negativspace wrote:
Decoupling capacitors. (If it's the same as the 281/2, 0.1uF.)

Of course, let' see if I still have some.
xi-bot
i received my twf and 281 pcb's in germany ;-)
(guess the where send beginning of august)
thanks a lot !!!
there was a big customs sticker on it - so i guess this also caused some delays
its strange that i always receive my letters with rare parts from hongkong without any problems and delays
with other overseas shipping i can calculate at least one month
rosch
mine arrived today! thanks!
also a sticker says customs had some kind of fun with it.
i'll have more hihi
rosch
i got a question:
in which order are the pins of the transistors? after soldering them i tested one on my multimeter and it seems mine are reversed.
i couldn'tr find a schematic, so it's maybe better i ask before taking them all out again.
toppobrillo
Quote:
in which order are the pins of the transistors?

the 3906 pinout is EBC
rosch

like this?
falafelbiels
Wow! You have some nuclear reactors on there, be careful!
sduck
Um, you may have ordered the wrong kind of trimmers. However, I suppose those will "work", although they probably cost about 10 times what you should have paid - I hope those were just some old stuff you had lying around.
toppobrillo
no, that is reverse, should be EBC from left to right when looking at the flat side in front of you. if you have a reverse pinout of CBE then all you have to do is flip them in the board- but what kind of transistors are you using?

also those trimmers are insane and wayyyyy overkill. i hope they arent shorting leads together as it looks like their casing is conductive!
rosch
thanks man, everything's fine! they have the right pinout. it's 2N3906.

hehe yeah the trimmers are overkill indeed. but i had them lying around and they were super cheap, i got a box full of them soviet trimmers. when i noticed they fit the board i just used them. the surface is conductive but doesn't touch any leads. some just rest on the "body" of the resistors. also they're very stable and won't bend or anything. looks funny though.
thanks again, so now i just need some zeners and pots.
ChrisR
TWF & 281 PCBs arrived in Germany!
No customs sticker, shipping took less than a week! applause

Guinness ftw!
brother303
Hi,

ChrisR wrote:
TWF & 281 PCBs arrived in Germany!
No customs sticker, shipping took less than a week! applause

Guinness ftw!

Lucky you are, I HAD a customs-sticker on mine and it took them (the famous "deutscher Zoll") about 2 month to get it onto the envelope... Dead Banana

Regards
Greg
falafelbiels
I finished this thing with a cardboard panel yesterday. It sounds really nice and interesting. Didn't get all of the functionality at once, but got some nice sounds from it. I bet there's some surprises to come. I will build the panel with attenuators for CV in. This is going to be a quite large panel w00t

Thanks Toppo for another nice design!
SMS303
Falafelbiels' TWP sounded as: I WANT ONE TOO! Mr. Green
falafelbiels
But you want everything you see somebody else having.
SMS303
falafelbiels wrote:
But you want everything you see somebody else having.

yes i'm a copycat SlayerBadger!

Don't diss me here just in the FUCK SMS303 thread lol
sduck
Could you guys get a room? I mean, somewhere else completely? Like Mars?
SMS303
sduck wrote:
Could you guys get a room? I mean, somewhere else completely? Like Mars?

lol lol
falafelbiels
Sorry, we'll deal with this stuff in the fuck sms thread. Sorry to hold you up guys, sorry.

Anyway, great circuit, TWF, love it, I really do.

Sorry.
auftauchend
yey, my boards finally arrived! of course they got stuck at the customs...
but now everythings fine, i can start building it.

thanks for the boards!!

greetings
robotfunk
toppobrillo wrote:
Quote:
.1uF is specified as having the qty 4...

don't worry about those. they are really necessary, only there as a precaution against unforseen issues that didn't exist- plenty of bypassing on the top side. if you want to install them they are actually meant to be .01 and tho the pad size is technically for 1206- 0805s fit just fine. the 4x .1s refer to the thru hole caps.

Just for the record, did you mean they are NOT really necessary? as in I can leave the SMD caps out entirely, or solder a wire bridge?
sduck
I think he means you can leave them off. Don't bridge them though - it won't work at all then.
Junk Rhythm
You can leave the SMD caps off.
robotfunk
Thanks guys!
That means my PCB is ready, onto the front panel and wiring!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Anyone do one one of these with bananas?

I don't think I am thinking about this correctly so I'll ask here. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. What is the harm in hardwiring all the "normal" connections? Or will I need to add switches to all of these?
Junk Rhythm

I don't think I am thinking about this correctly so I'll ask here. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. What is the harm in hardwiring all the "normal" connections? Or will I need to add switches to all of these?

Without switches you would lose the ability to use each section independently unless you did each section independently. You could just patch the normal connections as needed.
Junk Rhythm
Insert stupid iPhone respond here.
Rod Serling Fan Club
I realize now that I was thinking of it backwards. That putting a chord in the jack was connecting sections when it is actually disconnecting sections. It makes sense now.

It looks like the one switch I would still need, if I do the sections seperately, is a switch for DC offset/1B input. Right?

Edit: I just had another thought. The normalized connections for CV have resistors. If I built as independent sections I wouldn't have this normalization or these 3 resistors. I suspect that building these as independent sections means that both "CV all" inputs no longer work?

Sorry for all the questions but without schematics, it' a bit hard for me to follow what is connecting to what on the PCB.
Cable
Will there be any more runs for this anytime maybe?
moellhoven

I also thought alot about this. This is my take on a TWF panel for Modcan A. The design is not finished yet...
[/img]
Rod Serling Fan Club
Thanks for posting moel. Let me ask you about the attenuverter section as I think thats where my confusion is.

- is "IN" ALL CV 1 (pad 18)?
- is "OFFSET CV" ALL CV 2, connected to the "OFFSET" pot which is "AMOUNT +/-" in the wiring diagram?
- is "OUT" ALL CV'S (pad 16)?

Wired this way is the attenuverter completely independent of what wavefolder sections (i.e can be used for other purposes)?

...................................................................... ..

See if this ugly sketch looks right. Making a panel is quite a bit of work for me so once it is done I am committed. The fewer mistakes the better.
moellhoven
Thanks for posting moel. Let me ask you about the attenuverter section as I think thats where my confusion is.

- is "IN" ALL CV 1 (pad 18)?
- is "OFFSET CV" ALL CV 2, connected to the "OFFSET" pot which is "AMOUNT +/-" in the wiring diagram?
- is "OUT" ALL CV'S (pad 16)?

I made this layout some weeks ago before the wiring document was available. My sources were the euro panel and the block diagram. Actually i had a hard time to come up with a panel that i like. I always try these kind of changes out before actually ordering the panel wink But i have still two more modules before the TWF inline.
Just had a quick look at the document and i think you got it right. Maybe someone else can comment on this too?

Wired this way is the attenuverter completely independent of what wavefolder sections (i.e can be used for other purposes)?

Yes, this is the intention. I'd like to have all sections separate from each other so that the Attenuverter can also be used for something else.

...................................................................... ..

See if this ugly sketch looks right. Making a panel is quite a bit of work for me so once it is done I am committed. The fewer mistakes the better.

I'll try to figure this out in the morning smile
falafelbiels
Since I think it's appropriate and actually can't get enough of it I'll post a pic of mine here as well.

w00t
moellhoven

I am sitting on a train trying to figure your mockup out. I am not sure why you have a switch for the symmetry. The attenuverter drawing is mysterious to me smile
It's hard to write a post on a phone with stupid german text correction. wink
Rod Serling Fan Club
The symmetry switch is for the CV input (I think on the wiring diagram it is “in 1B”, it is blocked from this computer for some reason so I can’t check at the moment). On the wiring diagram it shows symmetry normaled to B+ providing a voltage offset when no CV input is present. If I am looking at the drawing correctly, when you plug in a minijack it breaks that connection and takes the CV from that input. So the switch is serving that purpose to switch from the internal “B+” offset voltage to the CV input. If I am wrong, let me know.

The attenuverter – Ignore the bottom block with the in/knob/out, that isn’t part of the circuit it is just use of the extra space. The input has a jack in and then the “manual” pot above it. The offset CV has a jack input and the “offset” pot above it and then there is an output jack at the top. It may look confusing because of my attempt to follow serge convention somewhat.

If I seem to be in error with any of this please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to look!
boothnavy
Zaxxon in Holland.
negativspace
So the switch is serving that purpose to switch from the internal “B+” offset voltage to the CV input. If I am wrong, let me know.

You're on track here. thumbs up

Must be TWF season - I finished mine last night, too. Now I wonder why I waited so long... this module is great! I went with an 18hp panel that includes attenuators for the 3 folder CV inputs.

LektroiD
I'd like to order one of these. Showed interest in the Electro-Music thread when this was announced but nothing ever materialised. Desperate to get my hands on one hyper
EATyourGUITAR
I PM'ed toppobrillo yesterday about buying a PCB. maybe you should PM him. in fact everyone should PM him so we can get on the list for the another batch.

I'm in MOTM so I would be ok with a big PCB that has no SMD parts. but if he wants to just press more of the same PCB, I would still buy it.
Junk Rhythm
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
I'm in MOTM so I would be ok with a big PCB that has no SMD parts. but if he wants to just press more of the same PCB, I would still buy it.

You are in luck. The PCB is entirely through hole other than a few SMD caps that you don't really need to install.
EATyourGUITAR
yeah I read about the SMD cap under an IC and I was hmmm.....

but that doesn't scare me off when I really want something
moellhoven
The symmetry switch is for the CV input (I think on the wiring diagram it is “in 1B”, it is blocked from this computer for some reason so I can’t check at the moment). On the wiring diagram it shows symmetry normaled to B+ providing a voltage offset when no CV input is present. If I am looking at the drawing correctly, when you plug in a minijack it breaks that connection and takes the CV from that input. So the switch is serving that purpose to switch from the internal “B+” offset voltage to the CV input. If I am wrong, let me know.
You are right! For my panel i decided to dismiss the IN1B input so that the TWF fits on a single Modcan A panel with a clean layout. Just needed some more thinking to remember wink
The attenuverter – Ignore the bottom block with the in/knob/out, that isn’t part of the circuit it is just use of the extra space. The input has a jack in and then the “manual” pot above it. The offset CV has a jack input and the “offset” pot above it and then there is an output jack at the top. It may look confusing because of my attempt to follow serge convention somewhat.

This looks fine too!

If I seem to be in error with any of this please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to look!

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Surprisingly there was no internet connection on my short vacation smile
Rod Serling Fan Club
Thanks. I appreciate that you took the time to look at it for me.
lordofthebored
Got a noobish question regarding the B+ connections: is there a correct way to do this? At the moment I have one wire connecting every potentiometer in series from BIAS 3 > BIAS 2 > BIAS 1 > MANUAL CV > R22/IN 1B > PCB. So far everything works but I want to make any changes before it goes in the rack.
negativspace
You have to do it that way, there aren't enough B+ connections to hook up each pot individually.
lordofthebored
negativspace wrote:
You have to do it that way, there aren't enough B+ connections to hook up each pot individually.

Right on, I figured R22 was last in line before the PCB. Wasn't too sure if the rest of the order mattered.

Thanks! thumbs up
LektroiD
I'm still interested in a PCB, as well as asking for one in the Electro Music thread, I PM'd for one here (as suggested above), but still heard nothing so far.

Anyone in the UK got a spare they could sell me?
LektroiD
Trying to delete this double post, but the [X] is on top of the 'ignore' button, it just tells me I can't ignore myself. hihi
KNYST
So...
As I'm having some trouble finding the 1N5234 at my regular sources, could you recommend anything else?
Specs: 500mW 6.2V 20mA Through Hole Zener Diode

Cheers
LektroiD
I know I've asked a few time so far, but not had any response yet...

Where can we buy these?
iopop
KNYST: http://www.electrokit.com/bzx55c6v2-do35-6-2v.43331

Usually any 6.2v and 500mW zener should do. At least those two are the important variables.

I believe the 1nXX is the american way and bzx is the euro variant?
KNYST
I see, sounds reasonable. Tack iopop thumbs up

-edit-
@LektroiD: http://www.rapidonline.com/SearchResults.aspx?kw=6.2V%20zener%20500mW
LektroiD
KNYST wrote:
I see, sounds reasonable. Tack iopop thumbs up

-edit-
@LektroiD: http://www.rapidonline.com/SearchResults.aspx?kw=6.2V%20zener%20500mW

I'm after a PCB, not a diode d'oh!

I really don't know how many times I need to ask this, or how many more months it will take to get somewhere, but I really would like one of these PCBs sad banana
KNYST
Oops oops sorry. Wish I could help you - best of luck!
toppobrillo
lektroid-PMed you. found some extra TWF boards hiding in my closet, 8 pcs, am posting these in the FS section..
toppobrillo
Quote:
Usually any 6.2v

yes this is the important part, sorry I didnt find the BZX equivalent to put in the BOM
toppobrillo
Quote:
Got a noobish question regarding the B+ connections: is there a correct way to do this? At the moment I have one wire connecting every potentiometer in series from BIAS 3 > BIAS 2 > BIAS 1 > MANUAL CV > R22/IN 1B > PCB. So far everything works but I want to make any changes before it goes in the rack.

what you describe is a parallel connection, not series. yes, you got it
bsmith
I spaced getting the .01uF smd caps for those bypass caps on the back of the board when I made my mouser order for this, but have some spare .022uF smd caps - would they be fine to use for this?
EATyourGUITAR
I would like to get in on another run of PCB's. I'll take two. maybe more.
knob_alchemist
I'm probably interested in a new run too...
nickster
I'd also be interested if another run is being concidered.
catchpenny
me too!
whitewulfe
I could be interested in another run SlayerBadger!
glitchpop
I'm interested too!
J3RK
Interest here! thumbs up
raisinbag
Wow that's a cool module. I hadn't seen that before. Holy 13700s! It's not like I you made more I could say no.
falafelbiels
Something weird going on here hmmm.....
J3RK
falafelbiels wrote:
Something weird going on here hmmm.....

I know I just noticed this, so it looks like a run is brewing within a run. If it's even possible. w00t Might just be late and out of luck for now. Mr. Green
raisinbag
I have the runs MY ASS IS BLEEDING
falafelbiels
Thread is all runny.
ekkoflok
I'm in for a PCB! SlayerBadger!
knob_alchemist
No PCBs under the Christmaas Tree? ?
demian
Interest in 2! w00t
Isaiah
I'm interested if there is another run!
tuukka.j
I'm trying to understand the normalizations in the wiring diagram, and tried to read through the other posters that built a banana version of this board. But it seems that this has managed to exceed my brain capacity, so stupid questions galore here we go:

So, for all the normals to be behind a switch, I'd need 6 switches. And yet, I've seen people talk about needing 4 switches for the normals. What are they omitting, and why?

I'm kinda at this point thinking out loud, but if I understood correctly

- 1 switch is for connecting B+ to the IN 1B AMT/SYMM-pot,
    - 1 switch is for enabling ALL CV by connecting CV1, CV2 and CV3 to 16
    - and 2 switches for connecting IN 2 and IN 3 to OUT 1 and OUT 2 respectively.

Would this make sense?

Here's one with 4 switches that I'm thinking about here.
soup
Are you asking about making a banana version? If so you need 6 switches...

+V/Aux In
Out 1/In 2
Out 2/In 3
CV All/CV 1
CV All/CV 2
CV All/CV 3

You could use a 3pdt in the place of the 3 CV switches if you wanted them all switched together. I don't know if you really want to do this, it seems a little limiting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 13