MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elektron Analog 4 CV and buchla?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Elektron Analog 4 CV and buchla?
Rod Serling Fan Club
Anyone tried 1.2 v/oct on the A4 yet? In reading the manual it looks like you can choose your voltage output but I didn't anything about how big the range is. I would assume it will do 1.2 v/oct but I'd like to know for sure.
gigasturtz
I've found where to change the scaling and it will definitely do 1.2v/oct but haven't tried it out yet since I took delivery of my buchla stuff about 2 hours ago. It's motherfucking bacon yo Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo

I have to build a little format jumbler box to get the cv to the buchla, but I'll report back with results when I do.
ttown23
gigasturtz wrote:
I've found where to change the scaling and it will definitely do 1.2v/oct but haven't tried it out yet since I took delivery of my buchla stuff about 2 hours ago. It's motherfucking bacon yo Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo

I have to build a little format jumbler box to get the cv to the buchla, but I'll report back with results when I do.

I'm interested in hearing what happens; I, too, have an A4 and a rather sizable Buchla and Buchla'esque' system... and also need a format jumbler box! Any interest in building two and selling one to me? w00t
gigasturtz
if you have the slightest bit of DIY experience it shouldn't be that hard to make one, assuming my assumptions are correct. My plan is to just wire 3.5mm jacks to banana jacks and wire all the grounds to a common banana output to hook to the buchla. hopefully i don't blow anything up, :-D
dkcg
The A4 can do 1.2v?!

eek!

Good to know, I had no idea so I never even thought about one. thumbs up
gigasturtz
having a bit of trouble. it's probably just user error or my format jumbler is not correct.
ttown23
gigasturtz wrote:
having a bit of trouble. it's probably just user error or my format jumbler is not correct.

Did you make sure to ground the format jumbler to the back of the Buchla case? They need to share a common ground.
gigasturtz

Yep! I think it was just not plugged in all the way? Either way the jumbler is working now, and i'm getting gates and cv from the a4 to the buchla.
There were two places I had to make adjustments on the A4. Not only did I have to adjust the CV scaling to be 1.2v/oct, I also had to change the gate output to 10 v instead of 5 v, since the 5 v gate wasn't triggering the envelope.

Since I received my Buchla today I haven't really dove into tuning the 261e yet with cv input, so i have no idea if the cv is scaling properly. Can anyone tell me the 'correct' voltage for a middle C? there is a place to change that on the a4 and it's current (default) setting is 3v.
dkcg
gigasturtz wrote:
Not only did I have to adjust the CV scaling to be 1.2v/oct, I also had to change the gate output to 10 v instead of 5 v, since the 5 v gate wasn't triggering the envelope.

Since I received my Buchla today I haven't really dove into tuning the 261e yet with cv input, so i have no idea if the cv is scaling properly. Can anyone tell me the 'correct' voltage for a middle C? there is a place to change that on the a4 and it's current (default) setting is 3v.

Damn, had no idea it could put out 10v gates too! applause

C3 would be 3.6 volts. .1v per semitone. 1.2v per octave. Actually makes more sense than the rest of the analog world when a semitone is 0.1v.
laserpalace
Reviving an old thread here.

Was anyone able to successfully sequence their systems with the A4?

I'm having moderate success with my 208r v1. I'm using the 1.2/3.6 settings mentioned above. I'm not getting precise tuning but am close. Curious if anyone has succeeded and if they are using different settings? Maybe the lack of precision is a condition of my 208 seriously, i just don't get it
sempervirent
Can't answer the voltage question (it's probably a question of your VCO tracking rather than anything to do with the A4 voltages). But anyone looking to do a Buchla breakout box should definitely use TRS jacks instead of separate 3.5mm jacks (as shown above) and avoid the need for an insert cable altogether.

I designed a Eurorack module (Synapse) specifically for interfacing the A4 with Eurorack systems. Actually did a layout for a Buchla version back in the day but it's such a small module that a full panel space couldn't really be justified.
JamieDrouin
Finally got my Analog Keys speaking to the Buchla using the advice above. Thanks!
sytnax
I tried sequencing my Music Easel with A4. The differences in CV pulse and gate output levels between the two make it very hard to get precise turning and useful pulses for the Buchla very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1