MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

building blacet questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author building blacet questions
scozbor
help

ok I'll be putting together my first modules in the next while, and no doubt I will have heaps of questions for you DIY pros! (should this be in the DIY section?) So this thread will be my ongoing questions thread!

Any help / tips you can offer will be hugely appreciated! we're not worthy

Well I have just finished putting the resistors + diodes on my LFO. But that's really all I've got time to do right now. It might be a few days before I can do any more.

Should I wash the PCB now?

Is it OK to wash the PCB multiple times throughout a build?

I'll wash with warm rainwater (we are on tank water here) and then rinse with distilled. is this good?
consumed
scozbor wrote:

Well I have just finished putting the resistors + diodes on my LFO. But that's really all I've got time to do right now. It might be a few days before I can do any more.

Should I wash the PCB now?

yes.

Quote:

Is it OK to wash the PCB multiple times throughout a build?

yes.

Quote:

I'll wash with warm rainwater (we are on tank water here) and then rinse with distilled. is this good?

probably ok. i rinse with warm tap water (dont get it too hot--you can warp your pcb). i have read that its best to rinse with distilled, but i dont think it matters much.

you're going the right route soldering all your low components first. next should be the IC sockets, then onward. i usually do my resistors, diodes and ic sockets in one run, then wash and take a break for awhile.
scozbor
wow so its ok to rinse with IC sockets on?

seems like lots of little bits where water could build up in them.

i was going to do them last. you obviously don't rinse with the actual IC's on do you??
Cybananna
yes, OK for the sockets, but I wouldn't do it with the IC's in. I doubt if the water would hurt them, but they can be sensative to static, so i'd not mess with them much at all. They are also sensitive to heat I believe. I always put the IC's in very last.

The water will evaporate and cause no damage. that took me a lottle while to feel comfortable with, but it's fine. just make sure it has time enough to dry well. I usually only let them sit 24 hours and they've been fine so far.

Also note that the length to cut the wires are notes on Blacet's drawings. saves a lot of guess work!

I also recommend a good soldering iron. It made it a lot easier for me. Also read Kwote's post for his dual filter and tools of the trade. They were both helpful for me as a beginner too.

Also, as much as you want to finish, take your time and be well organized. doing it right the first time is much better than having to redo something. very frustrating
Kwote
since Cy brought it up: http://www.kwotemusic.blogspot.com

the IC's are inserted last. by then everything should be soldered and wired.

don't worry about the IC Sockets. just be real thorough. make sure you really scrub all the flux out of there and the rest of the board. once you don't see anymore bubbles you should be good. dry with a cloth or paper towel and intermittingly blow out any excess water. big strong breaths work well. this will get any water that's hiding, particularly in the IC Sockets, out where it can be dried more properly.

it really shouldn't take you more then 15 minutes or so to finish drying so you can get back to soldering.

i agree with consumed. blacet does recommend distilled water but i think if you scrub, rinse and dry things properly you can totally get away without using it.

cheers and happy building!
scozbor
big thanks for info!

all almost went well. lol

when installing th ICs i noticed that I had put a socket in the wrong way. i just put the IC in the right way (though the wrong way for the socket if you get me?)

the lfo seems to function fine (triggering the dark star), but the led doesn't work! i doubled checked the soldering but it seems fine. Is it possible to have a dead led?
Kwote
scozbor wrote:
big thanks for info!

all almost went well. lol

when installing th ICs i noticed that I had put a socket in the wrong way. i just put the IC in the right way (though the wrong way for the socket if you get me?)

the lfo seems to function fine (triggering the dark star), but the led doesn't work! i doubled checked the soldering but it seems fine. Is it possible to have a dead led?

i guess it's possible, but it's not good to have a reversed socket. could be the reason the LED's malfunctioning but i honestly wouldn't know. i'm only some mults, a vca and filter deep on my build quest.

if you have a solder sucker you could probably remove the socket and put it back with the correct orientation. of course you'll want to remove the IC first and you'll need an IC remover for that. I haven't invested in one yet but I will as i'm sure sooner or later i'll have to pull an IC. it's inevitable.
scozbor
yeah i'm not concerned about the ic socket. the ic is in the right way so...

but the led was in the wrong way lol
Kwote
scozbor wrote:
yeah i'm not concerned about the ic socket. the ic is in the right way so...

but the led was in the wrong way lol

cool. like i said i'm still a newb. so blind leading the blind.

i also remembered that you'd need a new socket once you pulled it anyways. you only get one chance to get it right.

but if you got it working regardless than awesome shit. i'd build a Blacet lfo myself but i already have two and i'm more interested in other types of lfo's like the CGS Psycho so that'll probably be my next lfo related build.
Cybananna
functionally, the backwards IC socket is fine I believe, but...if you ever remove the IC and forget that the socket is backwards and install it according to the socket, you may be in trouble.

My understanding is the only reason for orientation of the socket is to make it easy to orient the IC which does matter.
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
functionally, the backwards IC socket is fine I believe, but...if you ever remove the IC and forget that the socket is backwards and install it according to the socket, you may be in trouble.

My understanding is the only reason for orientation of the socket is to make it easy to orient the IC which does matter.

cool. but i'll never .. ever .. install my IC Sockets wrong razz

hihi hihi hihi
scozbor
ok just finished the dual filter! Mr. Green
another day not spent on my essay d'oh!

having heaps of fun already with just the dark star, dual filter and an lfo!

absolutely loving the look&feel of the blacet stuff. the kits are great to build.
(not that I have compared them to any thing else though....)

running audio from the computer through the filter is a breeze with sonar's 'external insert' feature!

the future is looking / sounding fantastic w00t
Cybananna
cool, glad it's working for you. The Dual filter is of course limited, but can be used to make some interesting sounds. I love mine.

Sleep is over rated. Finish the essay then make / use more modules! hyper
Kwote
i love the dual for the inharmonic sinewaves. add a couple sines from some lfo's. feed it all into the 1v of a VCO and hotdamn, lovely selection of white noise!!
scozbor
yeah loving the dual filter! its much more flexible than I originally thought...

had a late night building the quadmix vca
it was a much more complicated build than I thought!
pesky jacks hmmm.....

the klang werk is going to be awesome! i can't wait! hyper
Kwote
yeah. more jacks equals more wires. more wires equals mo problems hihi

you'll dig the klang. i didn't build mine but i can tell that you'll have plenty to stuff on that giant ass pcb. biggest blacet pcb yet outta all the modules i got.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1