MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any SoCal people know a good place for guitar restoration?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Any SoCal people know a good place for guitar restoration?
jonkull
I posted this on a couple of guitar forums and got laughed at because this thing isn't some super-rare vintage whatnot.

My father was a guitar player/synth geek back in the 60s-80s. This is what is probably a 70s era cheap Ibanez Les Paul copy (though he did make his own bodies so it may just be an Ibanez neck/head) that he customized to be used as a controller for a 6 voice analog guitar synth he built. All the electronics are custom and the pick-ups were hand-wound by him. Anyway after he passed away it kind of fell into disrepair and I'd like to have it fixed up mainly for sentimental reasons. I took it to a place in NYC when I was still living there but they butchered it. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend someone here in SoCal (though I'd ship it elsewhere if I have to) that does restoration.

3vcos
ok, that's just awesome.

pm sent on some restoration place in LA....
dkcg
That looks like something LesPaul may have played with those gizmos and odd electronic look. Please post a sample when you get it back, I'm curious what the home grown hand wound sound like.
3vcos
and we all know what a Gibson Les Paul Recording looked like....

you mention an ibanez neck. Ibanez made copies of these in the late 70's....
jonkull
That's exactly what the neck on this one looks like.

Speaking of Les Paul my father did some work for him at one point but that was before I was old enough to walk or talk so I have no idea what exactly. He (my father) built custom equipment for studios and musicians under the name ASP (Audio Signal Processing) in the 70s and 80s.

As for what this guitar sounds like well after my father passed away my mom ditched all his gear except this guitar so the synth it originally interfaced with is no more. I wish I knew who she sold/gave it all away to because I'd love to track it down. So it basically just sounds like a guitar. Though it had a nice jazz tone at one point from what I understand.
Malekko
First off, that guitar is HOT, second...stay away from guitar forums, unfortunately due to my profession i have to frequent them....so i'm speaking first hand here that 90% of them are complete elitist assholes!

And to give you a window of their ignorance, we released a delay pedal with modulation...i kept getting calls from people thinking it was defective for various reasons including a fella who complained that when he pushed the modulation button his "pedal went out of tune"

d'oh!
TrashWaveform
This is hot. I was about to demand more info on the synth portion but I just read it fell into a black hole. Any chances of taking off that controls/pick guard and showing us whats under the hood?
jonkull
Malekko wrote:
First off, that guitar is HOT, second...stay away from guitar forums, unfortunately due to my profession i have to frequent them....so i'm speaking first hand here that 90% of them are complete elitist assholes!

And to give you a window of their ignorance, we released a delay pedal with modulation...i kept getting calls from people thinking it was defective for various reasons including a fella who complained that when he pushed the modulation button his "pedal went out of tune"

d'oh!

Thanks!

Yeah, I didn't find the guitar dudes to be too cool. That's pretty funny about the delay pedal...and sad.
jonkull
TrashWaveform wrote:
This is hot. I was about to demand more info on the synth portion but I just read it fell into a black hole. Any chances of taking off that controls/pick guard and showing us whats under the hood?

Unfortunately, no. One of the things that I need fixed is the electronics. I had taken it someplace a few years back to be 'fixed' and they handed me a ziplock bag full of electronics and said 'sorry we couldn't fix this'. So it's kind of fucked up now.
tj
sal at sam ash on sunset in hollywood is awesome. Rockin' Banana!
Fnord
While it's on the East Coast, I don't think it would hurt to call Lark Street music and ask. Really nice people who know their shit.

http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/
Babaluma
that's truly beautiful jonkull. i'm really sorry i can't offer you any good advice on who might be able to restore it to it's full glory. just make sure that it's someone who you can trust, and is good at what they do. i'd recommend a similar post to the tapeop or womb forums also, there are lots of knowledgeable (and non-elitist) folk on there who might be able to help you out.

good luck and best wishes for this most personal of projects,

gregg
XXXEsq
Norm's Rare Guitars on Ventura Blvd. in Tarzana is by far the best, most knowlegable guitar shop in LA. They are not cheap, but the best never is. They have several guitar techs who can help you. The only problem with the place is that there are so many great instruments there that it is very difficult to walk out without spending a butload of money...
jonkull
Well I've finally identified this thing. It's an Ibanez Model 2380 Les Paul Recording made somewhere between 1971 and 1975 before Ibanez got sued for ripping off Gibson. There's one on the 'bay for $1200 right now with some decent pictures of what it looked like before modification.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190352847328&ssPage Name=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

Oddly enough mine is actually in a little better shape than this one as far as the finish goes.
jonkull
3vcos wrote:
and we all know what a Gibson Les Paul Recording looked like....

you mention an ibanez neck. Ibanez made copies of these in the late 70's....

Duh...You already identified this...
d'oh!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1