MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analogue Systems modules with new style Doepfer rails
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Analogue Systems modules with new style Doepfer rails
MrTea
Does anybody know if the new style doepfer rails with the sliding nuts eliminate the spacing problem with Analogue Systems modules?

i'd been holding off on AS modules but this just occured to me.... hmmm.....
theabsent
They have new rails?

Haven't seen those but sounds like it would eliminate that problem.
wetterberg
I think the DIY kits are sliding rails, but the ready-made things, like the low cost case still have the threaded strips in them.

Of course it would be rather easy to take apart a low cost case and take out the strips, then reassemble with sliding nuts instead.
haven
sliding nut rails let you move modules anywhere horizontally so yes, Asys and everyone else in Euro land can fit together without gaps. That reminds me I need to convert my Elby racks to sliding nuts too.
wetterberg
The elby racks, are they using 3mm or 2.5mm screws?
DGTom
2.5mm waah

you know... I never thought to try & jam some M3 nuts in there... or maybe I did & forgot... whenever my synths are apart its always a hurried blur to re-assemble & screaming goo yo
wetterberg
oh, don't worry too much about that - 3mm ones definitely WONT fit.
MrTea
haven wrote:
sliding nut rails let you move modules anywhere horizontally so yes, Asys and everyone else in Euro land can fit together without gaps. That reminds me I need to convert my Elby racks to sliding nuts too.

Thats great. AS have some really useful modules. I just wanted to be sure that there was no other sizing issue.

I'd kinda been put off AS as I didn't really want to be left with unused space but it seems now i've no need to worry It's peanut butter jelly time!
suthnear
wetterberg wrote:
Of course it would be rather easy to take apart a low cost case and take out the strips, then reassemble with sliding nuts instead.

Or if you only have a few ASys modules, take a hacksaw and cut a few pieces out of the strips and then reinsert: you can then cluster the ASys modules on parts of the strip and doepfer-compatibles on the rest. Like using the threaded inserts but with much coarser granularity.
Steevio
i'll be able to tell you for sure next week as i have a doepfer DIY kit 1 and some AS modules being delivered, but i was counting on it.

a related question; how standardised are the heights of euro modules ?

at the moment the only module i have is a Metasonix R51, and it measures 12.9 cm high, i am making a patchbay and i made the faceplate a standard 3U which is 13.3cm ( or so i thought ).
i'm wondering if i've made it too big to fit in a 3 U case.
i know theres not much in it but i'd hate to have to try to trim 5mm off a piece of stainless steel if it wont fit.
the bad producer
Hi Steevio,

Nominally 3U is 133.4mm, but Eurorack (Doepfer, AS, et al) modules are actually 128.5mm to allow for the flange on the rack strip:

Quote:
Module front panels are all 3U high (1U = 1.75 inch = 1.75" = 44.45mm, 3U = 133.4 mm). The final height of the front panels is a bit less than 133.4 mm as the rim of the mounting rails has to taken into consideration. Consequently the final height is 128.5 mm for all A-100 front panels.

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm

sorry about that... Frac modules are 3U exactly (5.25") maybe you could start a Frac rack too?

Charlie
Steevio
^^^

thanks mate.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1