MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

kawai k1 goddammit!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author kawai k1 goddammit!
lilakmonoke
i just ran kawai k1 saw waves through the wmd micro hadron collider, a vca and a compressor and out came a finished track. there is nothing that sounds like a k1 to my ears, its big and 80s sound at its best!

i have no idea why as this synth is a simple 8 bit wave player that doesnt even have a filter like the shruti or the waldorf microwave - but i assume its secret is hidden somewhere down the audio path in the way the samples are played. as this synth is designed to be played without a filter there are lots of different saw waves that simulate being filtered. its also great for stacking up to 32 voices on top of each other. it makes a very good modular wave table oscillator substitute, chord mode included!

again this track is sequenced by my alien logic pure data sequencer. if you want to know what it really sounds like download the original high res file. surf is up!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/lilakmonoke/big-wave-riding[/s]
tron23
I have always been in love with the k1, thanks for posting this extra fine experiment! Guinness ftw!
lilakmonoke
thanks! can somebody shed any light on as to why the k1 sounds so powerful? it just cuts through any mix. as can be heard in this track of course ...

proturboplus
Beautiful!

I have to dig out my old K1 II... It's peanut butter jelly time!
lilakmonoke
any good music done with the k1? i only know lfo used it a lot ...
haugbui
I had no idea the K1 could sound this good. Back in the day when I bought it to use with Cubase for Atari, it's cheap plastic sound irritated the shit out of me. I obviously was not digging deep enough. Interesting post, that also goes to show that any equipment will do as long as you have some good ideas.
bil_g
Very nice, lilakmonoke! The K1 was the first synth I bought with my own money back in the late 80s. I still have it and it still has the remnants under the keys of an orange juice spill in 89. I used to love sticking it through a Boss PH-1r. Strangely, though, it is the one synth that I did not like putting through a CE-300 chorus. It just didn't sound right to me on any patches, even pads. Weird.
grentel
I use a k1 for a midi controller. I cant resist just using it from time to time. I agree that it does have a character of its own
Cymatics
That's a beautiful piece of music SlayerBadger!
sonicwarrior
lilakmonoke wrote:

Page 10 of the comments on vintage synths lists those:

tomek wrote:
On the top of my head I can think of these artists who used the K1 on their tracks/albums:
- LFO - LFO (obviously)
- Clock DVA on the Man Amplified album
- B12 on the Electro Soma album
flo
Nice! I like the Kawai K1 as well SlayerBadger!

sonicwarrior wrote:
lilakmonoke wrote:

Page 10 of the comments on vintage synths lists those:

tomek wrote:
On the top of my head I can think of these artists who used the K1 on their tracks/albums:
- LFO - LFO (obviously)
- Clock DVA on the Man Amplified album
- B12 on the Electro Soma album

Drexciya and Legowelt use(d) it extensively too...
tuj
I use the K1 a lot, especially the string patches.
tron23
tuj wrote:
I use the K1 a lot, especially the string patches.

Also low pitched haunted voices! SlayerBadger!
lilakmonoke
legowelt! that figures he loves strange synths. any idea on which tracks the k1 is featured? he has really interesting infos on lots of synths on his homepage: http://awolfe.home.xs4all.nl/studio.htm
nuromantix

Drexciya track with TR909 and Kawai K1.
lilakmonoke
good one! definitely the k1 for the "kickbass" ... sounds great and abstract. to all k1 owners: run it through analog filters and see what happens ... lots of happy frequencies! filters that saturate work best like the korgasmatrom or WMD MHC.
lilakmonoke
here is another soundsample this is from a fan from chile and its his ONLY track ;-) ... my point is, this synth is ideal as partner for analog modular mayhem exactly because it sounds so in your face straight. its also powerful enough to cut through anything so it wont get drowned by mad wiggling.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/strn/kawai-k1-ii-muestra-master[/s]
zedius
Just got one of these for fairly cheap 80s digital pad purposes. Found some neat resources in my investigation process.

I absolutely love the sound of Ogre's Calico Brawn, and I'm sure the K1 is part used a fair bit on it. At the very least on the rad guitar sound on New Vices:
https://ogresound.bandcamp.com/track/new-vices

Nice tutorial on getting that sound. Don't need a K1:
http://ogresound.tumblr.com/post/49960455283/tutorial-tuesday-wednesda y-edition-3-simulating

And this video is kinda making me want to build a monotron filter into it permanently:

codemode
The KI is ok IMO. It was my first synth and I used it into the ground. It has decent PCM wave samples that are somewhat different than Roland and Korg and you could use up to four per patch. It was like a really poor mans D50, say a D5 spec but with really inferior effects in the case of the K1 II (original K1 didn't have fx). However the K1 is 8-bit and as a result it's terribly noisy (quantization noise). Forget the K1 and get the 16-bit K4. It includes the same waves and has more and isn't noisy.
Robscorch
lilakmonoke wrote:
thanks! can somebody shed any light on as to why the k1 sounds so powerful? it just cuts through any mix. as can be heard in this track of course ...

Well the Kawai like many late 80s early 90s machines used PCM/VM digital wave forms. These waveforms are precise and cutting and some may dare say clinical, but what makes the Kawai shine is the awesome Envelopes and decent filters. In fact I think they may have one of the best Piano sounds out there, but it's because of the Envelopes. Look up EG DADSR for some detailed information about them. There was something special about the sustain and release, but hell if I can remember.

The DAC also has something to do with the magic in K1's and in fact I am thinking about finding a K1m so I can circuit bend it. I think I recall it being mostly NEC chipped as well, but I haven't worked on one of these in a few years. I do this as a hobby and to help others out, but I am not an expert I just love synthesizers.

Enjoy the 80s while they re-last my friends next summer I'm sure it will be either time for the 90s again or the 50s hell I can't keep up the kids trend to much now.

BTW really digging NewRetroWave on YouTube. I'm gonna party like it's 1986 up in here.
moize
Yeah the K1 is an awesome machine. I had my first experience with one after my older brother bought one and I was lucky enough to own it for a week or two before he changed his mind.

For many years it was just a memory that I had to revisit, but then over the years realised that many of my favourite tracks/artists also used one. LFO being the main one, but also B12 have that cutting unique sound. It all fell into place when I realised it was the K1. I am pretty much convinced the Bass sound in LFO is from the K1.

So I picked up a K1r a while back, amazing box. Reading this thread has inspired me to hit the studio and play about with the K1 again.

I though as like you, I have found it hard to find clips online I would share a few little sketches I did with mine, and also a clip I found a while back which I really like.

My bits:
https://soundcloud.com/pokk_tracks/snd482
https://soundcloud.com/pokk_tracks/snd-484

Classic K1, amazing this, love the mood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHnvEelX-Y
hzman
I love the 8 bit waves and noise on the K1 ii. I've had one since 92'.
Recently got it back in the studio and and using it on every track I make. I like how simple the programming is.
Robscorch
moize wrote:
I have found it hard to find clips online...

You were looking in the wrong place... It was in your record collection the whole time. lol lol lol

cupwise
i had one of these (k1 ii) and never really liked it. i thought it looked like it would be great for experimental sounds, because of the cross modulation you could do between the sound sources, but it never seemed to spit out a really useful result and usually seemed to end up just being a noisy mess. mine died and i can't say i miss it.
rpc
Nice post! I've been using my K1m like you - wavetable osc into the modular. Drexciya used one too. My next step is to setup my Novation SL as a knobby editor for it.. I think I may have a template somewhere on my hd.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4