MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Questions about Power
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Questions about Power
ThatFunnyLookinGuy
Has anyone ever had problems with modules drawing more milliamps than a power supply is rated for? Also, how much current do modules draw when not being used?
wetterberg
ThatFunnyLookinGuy wrote:
Has anyone ever had problems with modules drawing more milliamps than a power supply is rated for?
Plenty have, yes. Then you're likely to hear modules behaving funny as they're starved of power.
Remember you can use modular planner to calculate how much power you'll be needing in a given case.

Also, how much current do modules draw when not being used?
about the same as when used, if I'm not mistaken.
Kent
Actually, it depends upon the module. Drum modules draw almost nothing when not firing their sound. It's a bit like asking how fast a car can go. It depends upon the design.
fonik
wetterberg wrote:
Also, how much current do modules draw when not being used?
about the same as when used, if I'm not mistaken.

depends. if the module has LEDs the current draw depends on their status. if the module has to provide power to subsequent modules it changes too, but that would depend on even the subsequent module.
decaying.sine
If you aim for 70-80% of psu amp rating, is this conservative enough to not worry about power starve or other issues? Or, is that too conservative?
Brian
Babaluma
sounds like about the kind of conservatism i aim for in my psus. better to be under than over. and the current draw changes depending on which module is plugged into which, so it's impossible to give a "general figure".
Fidgit
play it safe here, don't overload your power supply. exclamation
fonik
what i observe not only in this forum is the tendency to be tight with frontpanel space and cabinets and all the supplementary stuff in general.
however, i can understand that people rather want to spend their money for sound making modules than for these boring cases, cabinets and PSUs, which don't make sounds, but add weight... am i wrong here?
wetterberg
@fonik, I think it's more a factor of people not wanting to hook up PSUs themselves. I can dig that.

FWIW my next case will have a 10-amp PSU in it, and it'll power more or less my entire modular studio.
Babaluma
i've always tried to be conservative. i don't know if it's true, but i once read that if you over-tax your power supply, then it can overheat, leading to a shortening of its life and a possible fire risk. not to mention things such as module instability. i'd much rather my modules had all the juice they need, than risk anything.

i run a blacet rig with four blacet ps500s, and the average on each one is about 450mA. that's a very conservative estimate, with a conservatively rated power supply.
fonik
wetterberg wrote:
FWIW my next case will have a 10-amp PSU in it...

10A! wow. what do you use?
decaying.sine
wetterberg wrote:
10-amp PSU

eek!
That must weight a good 20-30 pounds.

I picked up two NOS power-one 3.4 amp for +/- 12VDC. They were only about $40 each on ebay. I decided it was time to sell the a100g6's that I have and build my own case and supply with STG distro boards.
wetterberg
fonik wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
FWIW my next case will have a 10-amp PSU in it...

10A! wow. what do you use?
I think it's one of the bigger Power One supplies. And yeah, that'll power about 1000HP, hehe.

lemme quickly throw in a couple of these:
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Fidgit
the PSU in the rear provides 10A of "power one" power. it's apparent that it works with 2 PSUs (HDD15-5-A) in parallel plus a hidden, little switched PSU for +5V.

ThatFunnyLookinGuy
I've got a Lexington on order and the Monorocket site says that the case contains four 1 amp power supplies. Does this mean that 1000 milliamps is split between two bussboards on each level of the case?
wetterberg
Actually I think they're all connected together as one big 4amp device, which is then distributed to all the bussboards.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1