MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dear god help me.. I have been bitten by the 500 Series bug!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Dear god help me.. I have been bitten by the 500 Series bug!
Audio Resistance
ignatius wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:

I will have to prosess all this awesome info now, but at this moment... RADIAL??!?!?!?!!!!!?!?!! .

they have a rack coming out and as per the pic in this thread they bought Burgin McDaniel who make the Komit compressor for 500 series.. or maybe they just bought the compressor.. not clear on that.

http://vintageking.com/Radial-Engineering-Workhorse;jsessionid=0a01084 31f432bc944aee3394eae833af612b7150b9b.e3eSbNyQc3mLe34Pa38Ta38QaN10?sc= 13&category=37680

It looks like you can add that to cart there. I wonder if it is available already?

Hmmmm, I really want that Radial but I need a TKB. I hope I get a large X-Mas bonus. screaming goo yo
mmp
Reptil wrote:

oh FYI: There's no such thing as a "gateway drug", scientifically. It's a contruct of government officials that needed a "hocuspocus" "scientific" backbone to their ridiculous "war on drugs" (which is really a "war on people that they don't like").
I just had to correct this, sorry for the OT, and sorry if I'm nitpicking. Mr. Green

Oh, I don't believe the gateway drug thing either, but it seemed like the right idea for the point I was trying to illustrate.

Regards,

MM
Reptil
you're right, and I understand, sorry for going OT Guinness ftw!
Babaluma
sorry for the thread derailment!

Reptil wrote:
nice setup. almost every function is covered there I see... Too much slows one down, and modules are addictive.
I see you like Chandler stuff. How is the Pullet? Been wondering about that one. ???
And you need another (clean) compressor. lol

thanks dude. it was my idea to have every base covered and i pretty much have that now. every piece has been thought out extremely carefully, and there is no surplus gear in the studio.

i love chandler gear, really really love it. it gives me the sound i always used to associate with what i thought "tube" sound was. very classy.

the pullet is wonderful, i only got it in june so i am still learning it really. whatever you do with the knobs, it seems to sound better than before, it's a very smooth and subtle eq.

i've stayed away from "clean" sounding processors by choice. although i am sure it would be nice to have an ultra clean compressor and clinical parametric eq (api 2500 bus comp or gml eq etc.), if i was mastering classical and jazz albums, that's not what i'm really all about. i record and master electronic music digitally. to me at least, digital generally sounds like arse when compared to vinyl or tape. the "coloured" analogue processors i employ make things sound nicer - that's all there is to it!

also, the germanium compressors are actually capable of being very clean sounding, transparent even, when set with a soft curve, low ratio, wet/dry set at about 50/50 and not pushing the output line amp too hard.
JohnLRice
Babaluma wrote:
agreed, i prefer rack gear to the 500 series, and now my racks are filled, where does that leave me, help!

Lunch box? More racks? Bigger studio space? Decisions are EASY when it's someone else's money! Mr. Green
Babaluma
yeah, if we ever move to a bigger place i'm in trouble!
Reptil
Babaluma wrote:
sorry for the thread derailment!

Reptil wrote:
nice setup. almost every function is covered there I see... Too much slows one down, and modules are addictive.
I see you like Chandler stuff. How is the Pullet? Been wondering about that one. ???
And you need another (clean) compressor. lol

thanks dude. it was my idea to have every base covered and i pretty much have that now. every piece has been thought out extremely carefully, and there is no surplus gear in the studio.

i love chandler gear, really really love it. it gives me the sound i always used to associate with what i thought "tube" sound was. very classy.

the pullet is wonderful, i only got it in june so i am still learning it really. whatever you do with the knobs, it seems to sound better than before, it's a very smooth and subtle eq.

i've stayed away from "clean" sounding processors by choice. although i am sure it would be nice to have an ultra clean compressor and clinical parametric eq (api 2500 bus comp or gml eq etc.), if i was mastering classical and jazz albums, that's not what i'm really all about. i record and master electronic music digitally. to me at least, digital generally sounds like arse when compared to vinyl or tape. the "coloured" analogue processors i employ make things sound nicer - that's all there is to it!

also, the germanium compressors are actually capable of being very clean sounding, transparent even, when set with a soft curve, low ratio, wet/dry set at about 50/50 and not pushing the output line amp too hard.

no excess gear - flexible and simple, nice concept. I did sell a lot of stuff. And will sell some more, to come to a smaller setup.
I used amplifiers before to use with passive eq (Eckmiller coupled with DAV BG-1), that really put the character of the Eckmiller in the spotlight. Putting the amp before the Eckmiller also had a good effect. Maybe driving the Pullet with your amps will have the same result?
Reason I'm asking is because the Eckmiller only has top and bottom, and Pullet is supposed to be a mid range eq? How does that work out?
The API 2500 is not superclean! Yes it can be clean, but also can have a very noticable effect. The tone control and feed forward/backward really changes a lot. Deserted island machine. it is also released as 527 (500 series module). I like to mix "into" it. Turn it on, threshold low, ratio at 4 and then start making noise with the modular and other stuff. nanners

As for the "clean" approach, I like my mixers clean high headroom, like an empty canvas, and have a choice between a little color or a lot of color in synths and processing.
The 500 modules are great for adding tone!

edited for spelling 14:41
mono-poly
I prefer Daner format smile
Maybe this one comes off for you guys.

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=36522.0;topicseen
Babaluma
Reptil wrote:
Maybe driving the Pullet with your amps will have the same result?
Reason I'm asking is because the Eckmiller only has top and bottom, and Pullet is supposed to be a mid range eq? How does that work out?

the pullet expects a line level signal, has a 40dB insertion loss, and a mic level/impedance output, so you need a decent mic pre to follow it and bring the level/impedance back up to line. i can already drive the pullet really hard with the line amp in the germ comps, which has about 30dB of gain already. hence the comp-eq-pre combo in that order.

the pullet is great on mid range and highs, but has no bass control. i haven't found it a problem in usage, as i can somewhat craft the bass with the compressors. i can also just cut the mid and highs, and increase the makeup gain on the pres, effectively boosting the bass.

all gear is a compromise, but i have arrived at a place where i am truly happy!
science
Has anyone picked up the new Radial Workhorse yet? Is it even available yet?

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do, but leaning towards that. Just waiting for some feedback once people start receiving them.
ignatius
don't think the radial is out yet. son though.

seems you don't get all the routing benefits w/standard 500 series modules. the radial ones you do of course. but w/standard 500 series you have to patch the out of the module directly in to the summing bus or something. i forget. read about it on GS a while ago. it will take 2u and 1 u 500 modules though. i guess the little guide rails come out so you can fit wider modules in there.
science
I figured that much, but that's not really an issue for me, since I'd be doing it with any other box anyway (without the benefit of the mixer in the same box).

Hopefully they'll start shipping before my fiance finds more expensive stuff to add to the wedding plans MY ASS IS BLEEDING lol
science
Reptil wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
agreed, i prefer rack gear to the 500 series, and now my racks are filled,

picture?
Babaluma wrote:
where does that leave me, help!

more racks?
like this guy? eek!
http://vintageking.com/site/files/images/armando_avila_wallofsound.jpg

Damn. If that guy can manage to build all that by doing work with like 8 musicians I've never even heard of, I need to change businesses.
panda30y
science wrote:
Reptil wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
agreed, i prefer rack gear to the 500 series, and now my racks are filled,

picture?
Babaluma wrote:
where does that leave me, help!

more racks?
like this guy? eek!
http://vintageking.com/site/files/images/armando_avila_wallofsound.jpg

Damn. If that guy can manage to build all that by doing work with like 8 musicians I've never even heard of, I need to change businesses.

Ummm.... he does have a few grammy's... and I would assume he's talented at what he does. razz
Babaluma
nice new database of 500 series modules and racks here:

http://www.lunchboxhero.com/500seriesdb.html
bastille
Kind of an old post, but...

500 is great for those of us with more limited space to work in. I've got an API rack in my control room and I've considered starting a second one, though upgrading the console will probably take priority.

I really love the Shadow Hills stuff. I've got a pair of GAMAs and an Optograph, and if I can make the space, would love to have a Vandergraph as well. The preamps remind me of a triangle formed between Quad 8, API, and Seimens V276. I have an Avedis MA5 and A-Designs P1 as well, both of which are awesome and on two different ends of the spectrum, but I may sell/trade for 2 more GAMAs because I'm trying to simplify a little.
Arturo00
I got bit about 2.5 years ago. Got a stacked lunchbox with API including 2 original API 525 compressors from the 70s, and then bought a second lunchbox with an A-Design P-1 and an EM-Silver about a year later.

Fell out of pres shortly after the second purchase when I was bit by the synth bug. I haven't looked back since...

citizen mori
i've a few... i quite love my avedis e27 eqs and the chandler little devil comps!
bastille
Arturo00 wrote:
I got bit about 2.5 years ago. Got a stacked lunchbox with API including 2 original API 525 compressors from the 70s, and then bought a second lunchbox with an A-Design P-1 and an EM-Silver about a year later.

Fell out of pres shortly after the second purchase when I was bit by the synth bug. I haven't looked back since...

Sage amps, nice! I've got one of their mics, love the thing. What's the big blue thing near the bottom of the rack?
Monobass
bastille wrote:
I really love the Shadow Hills stuff. I've got a pair of GAMAs and an Optograph, and if I can make the space, would love to have a Vandergraph as well.

hey bastille.. I'd love to hear an Optograph demo if you could find the time! Can this thing be pushed into spongy but brutal LA2A levelling territory?

I'm currently drooling about the idea of a 500 series 2-bus.... Dual Optographs, Elysia xpressor 500 and a pair of Great River Harrison EQs maybe...
Monobass
I wonder about the chandler little devil EQs too but I'm not sure if they are a bit too heavy for the master buss....
Norman_Phay
I purposely avoided getting into studio sub-rack shit, it looks like a bottomless pit, even worse than modular synth gear. I occasionally look at that tonelux mini-rack setup, which I don't think ias actuaslly 500-compatible, and it looks so nice, probably fortunate that it's expensive enough that i can't/won't get a start on it.

I would like to get a few decent pres to record my ac gt with, but there is too much choice out there, it's almost as bad as boutique pedals.
bastille
Monobass wrote:
bastille wrote:
I really love the Shadow Hills stuff. I've got a pair of GAMAs and an Optograph, and if I can make the space, would love to have a Vandergraph as well.

hey bastille.. I'd love to hear an Optograph demo if you could find the time! Can this thing be pushed into spongy but brutal LA2A levelling territory?

I'm currently drooling about the idea of a 500 series 2-bus.... Dual Optographs, Elysia xpressor 500 and a pair of Great River Harrison EQs maybe...

I don't own an LA2 and have only used them once so can't compare. The Opto bites a little harder than I expected it to, sometimes the attack sounds bad at more than very mild compression. Other times it works amazingly well - I sort of like this; it lets you know quickly if it's right or not. I love the Opto, but for master bus I'd without hesitation suggest the Vandergraph over it within the 500 range 2bus processing. I'm hoping to get one myself. The Elysia stuff is awesome; haven't seen this 500 thing. The Mpressor is very cool, but for the price it's getting into 33114/609 territory and I'd rather have those. Mpressor can do things nothing else can, but it just didn't grab me beyond the "woah! this can do WHAT?" - I guess I'm just not at that stage yet.

You should check out the API 527. It's pretty incredible, too.

"I wonder about the chandler little devil EQs too but I'm not sure if they are a bit too heavy for the master buss...."

They sound AWESOME. But, BUT, they totally mess with your gain staging (serious boost) and aren't totally even unit to unit in my experience. Better suited to individual tracks.
bastille wrote:
The preamps remind me of a triangle formed between Quad 8, API, and Seimens V276.

I've used a Mono GAMA for some time now and really like it a lot! But, a couple of months ago I bought an API 3124+ and noticed that the GAMA in Nickel-mode sounded VERY much like the API. Almost identical. Nickel is the setting I preferred in about 4 cases out of 5, so now I'm thinking about replacing the GAMA with something else. Leaning towards an Avedis MA5 or that big Great River preamp for some nice Neveish-flavour in 500-format.. but the gearslut in me want one of each.. including the GAMA. .. but some kind of trade could be interesting..
D/A A/D

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4