MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dear god help me.. I have been bitten by the 500 Series bug!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Dear god help me.. I have been bitten by the 500 Series bug!
Tweekhead
Nice! I was looking at the Mixbuzz project, but I'm going to attempt the 1176 in 51x/500 series
MrDys
There's a part of me that really wishes that I can get excited by this stuff, but I just can't. I think the bank account side of me is pretty glad for that, though.
Babaluma
me neither, they all look like little barbie doll modules or something. give me a 19" 1u unit over one of thee any day!
JohnLRice
bkbirge wrote:
This is my favorite 500 series pre by a large margin, I've got 4 of 'em, soon to be 6...

So, what is it that you like about the Roll Music pre over others you've tried? In particular I own:
A-Designs P1, Red, Blue, Silver, Gold
API 512c
BAE 312a
Shadow Hills Mono Gama
Old School Audio MP-1

bkbirge wrote:
I've used 'em all and the next one I can't wait to try is the Flickenger that just came out...

Those do look pretty cool! hyper
http://www.keyclubrecording.com/skibbe/?page_id=7

bkbirge
Babaluma wrote:
me neither, they all look like little barbie doll modules or something. give me a 19" 1u unit over one of thee any day!

LOL! lol
bkbirge
JohnLRice wrote:
bkbirge wrote:
This is my favorite 500 series pre by a large margin, I've got 4 of 'em, soon to be 6...

So, what is it that you like about the Roll Music pre over others you've tried? In particular I own:
A-Designs P1, Red, Blue, Silver, Gold
API 512c
BAE 312a
Shadow Hills Mono Gama
Old School Audio MP-1

The Roll is nice and pure clean on low gain settings but you can really dial in the color as you crank the gain. It's a pure classic tube design, has very little in common sound wise with the A-designs stuff. I just got rid of an EM-Red to help fund the modular stuff but I love those too, very midrange focused and perfect for my upright. I've had the Blue also, didn't fall in love with it but I'm a Quad 8 nut so the A-designs stuff all sounds really good in my opinion. Those are all excellent pres you mention, I just love love love the way the Roll Tubule stacks during a mix, creamy and 3D all the way nothing gets in the way. You can't go wrong with any you listed though I haven't tried the Old School Audio line.
Arturo00
Tweekhead wrote:
The downside on the Radial Workhorse 5000 is that no one really knows when this is going to be released. I was waiting so long for the Radial I canceled my order and picked up a 2nd iunchbox, and this was about 10 months ago.

yeah, they've been touting the Workhorse for ages. I spoke to a Radial rep last week and he passed me printed literature on the Workhorse, which I gather is a good sign. But I totally forgot to ask when the release date is supposed to be. I'm pretty certain a release is going to happen soon. I'll ask them tomorrow...
zerosum
hmmmmmmmm.....

hyper
bastille
Hmm. That's actually pretty interesting. Wonder if the variphase only affects the DI signal.
zerosum
Quote:
Wonder if the variphase only affects the DI signal.

from what I understand it adjusts the phase relationship of the DI signal and the mic signal:

Quote:
Blended Use

Used as a single channel device for instruments, the 5017 can be used to phase align, combine and compress direct and amplified signals. To achieve this, use the DI for the instrument’s direct signal and the mic preamp for the speaker cabinet signal. The blend control is used for mixing direct and amplified signals to achieve the desired tonal blend between the two sources, and the variphase is used to minimize or extenuate phase cancellations between the two signals. To compress the blended signal, the internal compressor jumper must be set to the blend path (this is the default setting). This technique could also be used to create a single, mixed output of a guitar and vocals.

It's the same specs as one of these

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
syzygywell
I need to leave this thread immediately. eek! help
zerosum
syzygywell wrote:
I need to leave this thread immediately. eek! help

No no..... It's good for the soul 8_) I'm bouncing up and down on the diving board about to jump off in the deep end and I welcome you to come join me applause

There is going to be some cool stuff coming out this year for the format! hyper
attacksustain
zerosum wrote:

metasonix in 500 series ? Dead Banana
zerosum
attacksustain wrote:
zerosum wrote:

metasonix in 500 series ? Dead Banana

HA I wish!
Just me
http://fivefishstudios.com/

Sale this weekend only if you are interested in this sort of stuff. (I was perusing their DIY section and remebered this thread.)
bkbirge
Just me wrote:

Sale this weekend only if you are interested in this sort of stuff. (I was perusing their DIY section and remebered this thread.)

Fivefish stuff has a great reputation. As far as metasonix goes, they could do it but there's not much point. The guys who are into the API stuff are into it because of the clean sound, not the distortion so much. Not to say it wouldn't be cool to see a bit of the KV-100 in the API format, it would probably sell like hotcakes.

Personally as soon as I'm done building this modular, I'm filling up a 10 space API rack with more Roll Tubules and a pair of Flickinger pre's. My drums and other acoustic stuff has never sounded better since going that route.
zerosum
Just me wrote:

Sale this weekend only if you are interested in this sort of stuff.

The EQ is a for sure!
Right now I am calculating some numbers to get one of each preamp..... hmmm.....
zerosum
Quote:
As far as metasonix goes, they could do it but there's not much point.

Metasonix won't do it, but Zerosum Inertia will.
Veqtor
Dammit, I just ordered a group-diy 511 case...
I'll be ordering a elysia xpressor soon...

help
zerosum
The fivefish stuff is really really cool!
I took advantage of that sale 8_) wink

500land is great applause

peachlyfe
500 Series newbie here w00t
So I've ended here a "few" years later, and now the Radial Workhorse is out. Is anyone using the Workhorse with the summing mixer? I'm thinking about using it for a live setup.
felixer
i really don't get it. why are people paying more money for a 1 channel device if they often can get 2 channel one in a 19" rack? i'm pretty sure the portability is not key, for most ...
Futuresound
I don’t think there are many examples of a single-channel 500-series costing more than an equivalent 2-channel unit.

But there are a lot of reasons that 500 is appealing. Primary among them for me is functional density. I can fit a lot more into a 10-slot 3U rack than in 3U of 19”.
Soy Sos
Funny, I chimed in on this thread around 9 years ago.
I had just gotten in to the 500 format with pres, EQs and comps.
I sold my 10 slot rack and all modules this summer to pay for a Schertler
Arthur 48 console and some outboard compressors and I'm really satisfied
with the work flow. Once I really got my head around it I was fully
convinced and the quality of my work speaks for itself.
BTW, I've still got an Inward Connections VOGAD comp
and S&M EQ going cheap. Hit me UP!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4