Minifooger w/ Boss PSA? Also: Modding MF Drive

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

controlFreak
Common Wiggler

Post by controlFreak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Animalbeats wrote:Why are those flick switches there?

Also, is there anything you can do to the Boost pedal?[/i]
I wanted to further change the response of the drive circuit itself. So the switches do that. Sorry I cant share all the specifics of that info as I've got the pedal all boxed up and working and don't want to take it apart again.

Left switch alters/bypasses the "tone" control tonestack.

Middle control toggles in clipping diodes for harder distortion and compression.
Right switch toggles in three different "fat" capacitors that go across the drive FET's source resistor, I used .47u for treble boost, 3.3u mid boost, 100u flat boost.

I'm sure I could mod the boost circuit! Does it also have a filter? I haven't played with that one personally but any circuit can be "modded!!!"

grep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grep » Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 pm

I've not really looked into the Minifooger lineup. Can you plug CV into the exp port?

controlFreak
Common Wiggler

Post by controlFreak » Fri May 12, 2017 10:38 am

grep wrote:Can you plug CV into the exp port?
Yes!

esotericmetal
Common Wiggler

Post by esotericmetal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Holy crap, these mods looks awesome. Would love to hear some audio clips.

I wonder why Moog would decide not to have a pot in the first place. Is there any downside to this mod?

Would it be possible/worth doing the same with the drive control, or maybe even a variable treble control?

controlFreak
Common Wiggler

Post by controlFreak » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:20 pm

No downsides, functionality only improves!

You can of course create "ugly" sounds with this mod... screeching high resonances.

I guess the extra peaky filter with screechy resonances might scare uninitiated guitarists.

Also worth noting: the Filter when uses as an oscillator is a dirty oscilator. Not very stable and prob not v/oct. It jumps around as you play too for a cool harmonic effect when playing guitar.

durwin
Common Wiggler

Post by durwin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:12 pm

controlFreak wrote::nana:

:bananaguitar: :goo: :goo: :goo: :goo:

:mmm:

:cgs:
:yay:

artilect99
Common Wiggler

Post by artilect99 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:06 pm

This is an old thread and MF Drives are rare as hens teeth now, but I just did this mod so I wanted to make some notes for posterity in case anyone else tries it:

1) If you wire the pot into the bottom two switch pads as described above, the mod won't work once you remove the SMD resistors R26 and R27, because this breaks the circuit path. I tried it this way and there was no resonance at all, no matter what the pot was doing. After staring at it for a second I realized that without those resistors in place, the other end of the pot isn't connected to anything.

I ended up leaving one end of the pot soldered to the middle switch pin, and soldered the other end to one of the test points (can't remember if it was TP2 or TP3 -- I don't want to take the fucker apart again, but its obvious when you are looking at the circuit paths -- it is the outer test point that is directly in the path of the wide trace going up along the side of the switch. The other TP only connects from the top switch pin to one of the removed resistors.

After I made that adjustment, it worked perfectly, which leads me to #2:

2) this thing is fucking gnarly! Takes the MF Drive from a great OD/distortion pedal to a thing of its own, very close to Metasonix territory at high gain and high resonance. The ladder filter at or close to self-oscillation all bound up with the overdrive and EQ yields some heavy, grinding tones that are very organic and alive.

I have no idea why they didn't make it a knob in the first place -- I guess they didn't want to scare away guitarists.

PS, I just used a B100k linear pot cause its all I had on hand, thinking I could swap it out for a C250k pot later, but I'll probably leave it. An antilog pot would give you more precision at the top resonance settings and a higher value (200k - 1M) would make sure there is minimal resonance at the other end. But even with a B100K the range of resonance is totally fine, ranging between almost none to squealing, shrieking self-oscillation.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:07 pm

wow what a great mod/info thread!

thanks everyone for posting, and the followup, I am going to do this to my MF Drive

I always found the switch didn't give enough control, can't wait to try it now

controlFreak
Common Wiggler

Re: Minifooger w/ Boss PSA? Also: Modding MF Drive

Post by controlFreak » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 am

Glad to hear folks are trying it out! Sorry if my posts were not clear, I was going from memory.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”