MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Minifooger w/ Boss PSA? Also: Modding MF Drive
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Minifooger w/ Boss PSA? Also: Modding MF Drive
Demi Jon
Hi all -- considering getting the Minifooger Drive pedal (wah plus overdrive yeeeeah), but hate batteries and multiple wall warts.

Has anyone tried a standard Boss pedal PSA with one of these? Would love to be able to daisy chain it with my old Boss DM-3. Not only is it one less power supply on the multi-box, but the DM-3 actually responds better to being daisy-chained than all lonely on a modern Boss PSA. The DM-3 requires the old Boss ACA adapter and here's the blah-blah why PSA daisy-chaining is good for it:
bossarea.com wrote:
Powering ACA pedals with a PSA power supply
Powering the older pedals designed for 12V DC input with either a newer ACA or PSA adapter will not work very well. The voltage drop over the resistor and diode will prevent the pedal from getting enough power and its LED will usually only glow faintly. The solution is to use a daisy chain and plug in another pedal designed for the newer ACA or PSA adapter. The lead between the two pedals will short the resistor diode pair and the pedal will receive full power.

I sold almost all my pedals (just keeping the DM-3 and Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone) a few years back to fund the initial foray into modular, but miss having wah and overdrive would be welcome too.

So yeah, will the PSA barrel fit in the MF, and is the polarity proper etc.?

*edited subject to include thread evolution
EMwhite
Proper polarity yes. I'm powering a MF-Drive from Voodoo ISO 5+ so yes. Old/full sized MoogerFoogers no, but Minis a-ok. Depending on what you are daisy chaining with, be sure to check mA power requirements (they are documented on Moog site and elsewhere).
Demi Jon
Thanks mate -- reckon I might have to get one of these eh!
Hermetech Mastering
I'm using a modern Boss PSA for my Minifooger Drive, works perfectly!
MindMachine
Are you guys using the Drive on synths or keyboards or guitars? It is on my list to consider.
Hermetech Mastering
Guitar only here. I'd suggest a Reamp/DI Loop if you want to use it with mixer sends and returns or modulars.
Demi Jon
...and almost exactly three years to the day later, I finally bought an MF Drive! hihi
MindMachine
Demi Jon wrote:
...and almost exactly three years to the day later, I finally bought an MF Drive! hihi

Perfect end to the thread.

Aw fuck I ruined it.

(I still don't have one oops )
Hermetech Mastering
Mine sat in a drawer for three years but just got pulled out yesterday due to this thread necromancy. It is AMAZING!!!!!!!! I bought it for the Moog filter sound, but that was never really enough on its own, with just two switchable resonance amounts, but I really dug in to the overdrive possibilities yesterday and it blew me away, so harmonically rich, with note definition staying very clear. Definite winner, now to plug the expression pedal in and go wild. Thinking about picking up the Delay too...
controlFreak
You can mod it with a pot! 100k -200k C taper works best. Just desolder the switch and the resistors the switch is switching, put the pot there instead.

Then you can push the filter into self oscillation. SlayerBadger!

Rockin' Banana! screaming goo yo lock
Hermetech Mastering
Ooh, very cool idea, if I had drill! Miley Cyrus Or is the switch hole the right size already?
controlFreak
I believe its the right size already
Hermetech Mastering
Ah then that's frickin rad, got a link on how to do it?
Demi Jon
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
got a link on how to do it?

Yes, please! Very interested as well.
controlFreak
this is the link!!!

I had pics on my phone but they were deleted on a recent update very frustrating

Seriously though if you have an iota of mechanical/electronic inclination, its not that hard.

Just take your time opening it up and take both PCBS out... you will likely have to replace all of the ribbon cable connections because the chinese ribbon connectors moog uses are junk and break as soon as you bend them!

Desolder the "peak" switch... take note of the SMD resistors connected to the switch pads and desolder those as well.

Solder a 100k to 200k C taper pot in where the switch was. standard Alpha 16mm will fit.
Hermetech Mastering
Cheers, where is the link though?
controlFreak
Oh and Boss power is fine for most of the minifoogers just NOT THE DELAY!!!!

The delay can not be overvoltaged or it will blow a protection component
controlFreak
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
Cheers, where is the link though?

there is no link I'm posting whats I can tho.

For resonance control:
-Void your warranty. Deconstruct your 'fooger and take care when bending the ribbon wires... they may break. Have ready about 20 wires cut at 1.5 inches, stripped and tinned. This way you can quickly replace the ribbon cable if need be and not be heartbroken for too long. Desoldering tools and solderwick help. Take note of how you took it apart so you can get it all back together when you're done.

-Wire a 100K to 200K C taper Pot as a variable resistor so minimum resistance is fully clockwise. 16mm Alpha pots work fine, No drill needed, just use and xacto or razor to enlarge hole on the aluminum overlay.

-Test to with DMM to see which switch pins show continuity when the "peak" switch is engaged (UP). (probably the bottom two)

-Solder Pot in to PCB holes where the switch has been removed. Connect pot to the same switch pins that previously tested for continuity with the "peak" switch engaged.
-Alternatively, you can also solder the Pot to TP2 and TP3. Either way orientation does not matter as variable resistors are non polar. just stick the two wires in and solder em any old way.

-Remove R26

-Remove R27 also, if you're nit picky about minimum resonance being absolutely minimal.

*you're done! now just re-assemble and jam out!*

*Bonus Fun Mod*
C35 is a "no-pop" component on the PCB, it bypasses the source resistor of the overdrive circuit's crucial FET "Q13" wired as standard Class A boost, being driven by OTA -> filter -> tone control -> FET.

Experiment w .47uF to 100uF for treble boost to warm fuzzy bass boost.
Animalbeats
I dearly love my Minifooger Drive muchly!, but I'd love to hear this mod and any reports on completing it as I'm just entering the world or electronics.

I take it the functionality of the Peak switch just becomes another point on the Potentiometer and no actual sounds/functionality is lost?
controlFreak
Quote:
I'd love to hear this mod and any reports on completing it as I'm just entering the world or electronics.

I take it the functionality of the Peak switch just becomes another point on the Potentiometer and no actual sounds/functionality is lost?

Correct. The pot only adds functionality. Filter will now feedback and oscillate at extreme settings, you can use a resistor in line with the pot to limit this if it is undesired.

And this is verified and will work. did it to mine.

Only requires removal of one SMT component (R26) Which is 20k ohms the minimum resistance of the "peak" setting. Using a C taper pot You can push it a bit further beyond the previous "peak" into funkytown.

R27(2.2M) is also connecting TP2 and TP3 as the "zero" resonance setting. It may be good to remove as well since 100K or 200k is now in parallel and quite a bit smaller. I cannot hear any extra resonance added by this change. You could always use a 1M C pot.

*Unverified:
It looks like it would be easy to add CV resonance control... tap it into TP2- it connects both gates of two transistors controlling filter feedback. TP 3 connects to the pedal's 9v rail.
Demi Jon
Edited thread subject to point to MF Drive modding info

Note -- the following short story depicts me attempting this mod:

It's peanut butter jelly time! FUUUCCKKKK!!! Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana Dead Banana
Hermetech Mastering
Thanks for all the info! Not sure I'm ready to attempt it with mine yet though.
Animalbeats
Demi Jon wrote:
Edited thread subject to point to MF Drive modding info

Note -- the following short story depicts me attempting this mod:

It's peanut butter jelly time! FUUUCCKKKK!!! Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana Dead Banana

I see at the end you have died.....is that in happiness or failure...... confused

or perhaps it's a vision of your future.....

If or when you do please post the results Guinness ftw!
controlFreak
nanners

Rockin' Banana! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo

Mattson Mini Modular

Cat Girl Synth
Animalbeats
controlFreak

Thanks for those instructions.

Why are those flick switches there?

Also, is there anything you can do to the Boost pedal?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2