MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

210e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 210e
infinite7
i was wondering what peoples feeling were in using this module, if it's worth the space, as i'm very, very slowly putting a 12u system together and space is precious. i saw the noisebug video where ezra talked about it being used to create a "universal" patch used in conjunction with the preset manager to create easier live performances. is this the case, or is it over rated?. the idea of mixing multiple cv's and audio signals does sound very tempting, but the 255 or the 256e with the 207e seems like it could achieve some similar results, or maybe i'm just way off.
(hides)
amnesia
i had one found i didnt need it, dont miss it, although it looked really cool
dougcl
Love it. Not so handy as a mixer if you want to adjust relative levels. As an on/off connector though it is really convenient. With it you can build a base patch. You can then build a family of saved presets from this. You can then either use the presets in a sequence, or use them as separate pieces. The 210 simply widens the scope of what you can do without moving patch cables. It makes your preset manager more powerful, and makes it more likely that a predefined patch will cover most (if not all) of what you need. If you start from a pre-designed patch (see below), you can work though many possibilities without lifting a patch cord. That means the preset manager has you completely covered as you make changes.

This single patch covers both videos I posted to youtube a few days ago.

CV Patch

Signal Patch:
cbm
I ended up trading away my 210e. I found that it took me out of the moment too much. I'm also not a big fan of the Synthi pin matrix, or the ARP 2500 slider matrix, fwiw.
amnesia
really on a small system I dont think its needed, you have enough banana patching and most of the audio has a spare in/out as well

i love the SYnthi matrix :-)
Minimoog56
Traded mine in after 2 weeks as deposit on a 222e....
Lyonel
The little problem with a 210e (and a 256e too) is when you try to mix (or attenuate) CVs towards an oscillator's pitch input.
If you need very steady pitch, forget it... for the moment.
It curls, or crimps... i don't know the word, but it's not completely constant, stable.
blindoldfreak
Jitter!

i noticed that too, unfortunately.

I hope it's fixable with a firmware update!

A

Lyonel wrote:
The little problem with a 210e (and a 256e too) is when you try to mix (or attenuate) CVs towards an oscillator's pitch input.
If you need very steady pitch, forget it... for the moment.
It curls, or crimps... i don't know the word, but it's not completely constant, stable.
Lyonel
I hope so too ;

Jon's answer :
"both the 210e and 256e are going to have a bit of noise relative to their sample rate.
i'll look to see if we can speed up the adc / dac clocks to help mitigate this (or at least add some filtering into the software to smooth it out)."

Perhaps the 254v isn't affected by that.
prscrptn
The topic of the 210e has come around several times...

It is the module that I love and hate! I hate the cost, the space it takes up, and the fact that it is not a sound source/modifier, but I love having the ability to mix and attenuate signals.

I always wanted to sell/trade my 210e for something cooler like another oscillator, frequency shifter, or an extra 281e. Yet I still think that it's a very particle module to have in the system. It is the only way to mix audio signals pre-filter (unless you use the sub mixer in the 227e; but it's not as flexible), attenuate/mix audio rate modulation sources, & the CV averaging trick is nice too...

There are many modules that are more fun in the Buchla world, but for me having more control in the system is important. I don't think I could ever have enough mixers or attenuators in any modular.
blindoldfreak
I am sure Jon will bring it to a more ideal point!

That said, I have been using the 210e in every show that I have done...there are tricks oe workarounds to make it a little better, I found.
One of them: if using cv coming from the 222e or 250e, keep the cv in on the oscillators at less than full counterclockwise, but send more voltage instead to reach the same result. There seems to be less jitter that way.

I am sure the 254v is not affected by that, but then again, there is no patch recall.

A.
Lyonel
Thanks Allessandro, i will try this tomorrow.
I try not to turn on the Buchla one day a week... sometimes it's difficult.
blindoldfreak
No problem...let me know if you get good results

I just leave it on....
That way I think i am doing something even if I spend the day without touching it at all...it's a good trick !

Lyonel wrote:
Thanks Allessandro, i will try this tomorrow.
I try not to turn on the Buchla one day a week... sometimes it's difficult.
ex_dead_teenager
I wish I could have kept mine but I needed the space. If I ever upgrade to an 18 panel boat I'll get another for sure because it's really a useful module.
dougcl
I discovered recently that if you are using the 266e to S&H the 250e, putting the 210e between them stabilizes the CV significantly. Great if you're into stability smile
citizen mori
one of my most favorite music box-style patches involving the 210e:

225e/206e + 210e on remote enable (and nothing else)

2x 256e into 210e with offsets tuned by ear for a pitch set (if you are unfamiliar, see http://www.jaytomlin.com/music/settheory/help.html or read up on charles wourinen's take, which i found to be the most digestible)

this turns the 210e into a set matrix with the ability to shift registers via 225e presets

four outputs from 210e into four external ins on 250e

a 250e is set up with probabilities for triggers to (very) occasionally flip presets on 225e/206e, shifting the register of the set in the matrix (210e). one cv output goes into one oscillator with a bias on external inputs b, c and d... the other goes into a second oscillator with a bias on external inputs a, b and c. oscillators are tuned apart at opposite ends of the set matrix, with the higher register oscillator configured so that the notes play as an inverted melody. in this way, they will change roles between melody and counterpoint.

i have two program cards of just this sort of thing... a fine way to teach the buchla to tell you a bedtime story for easier sleeping. love
dougcl
we're not worthy my head just esploded
dkcg
dougcl wrote:
we're not worthy my head just esploded

I wanna hear what made ur head splode! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

or better yet, see and hear.
dougcl
dkcg wrote:

I wanna hear what made ur head splode! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

or better yet, see and hear.

Ha ha, it was just me trying to wrap my head around mori's post. The things is, as he pointed out, you can use the preset manager to manipulate just one module. So the 210e can become an array of matrix mixers that are selected by triggers from the 250e. Pretty amazing.
citizen mori
dougcl wrote:
The things is, as he pointed out, you can use the preset manager to manipulate just one module.

yes, this is the important part of this technique, where, in my opinion, the 210e is uniquely successful.

i would think that a performer who happens to use a load of cv-smart stomp boxes would get an enormous amount of use from a 201-2 boat containing a 206e and a 210e.
richardm123uk
Holy Shit!. 210e added to my list of wants!
Lyonel
blindoldfreak wrote:
there are tricks oe workarounds to make it a little better, I found.
One of them: if using cv coming from the 222e or 250e, keep the cv in on the oscillators at less than full counterclockwise, but send more voltage instead to reach the same result. There seems to be less jitter that way.

Yep ! it's better... not always, but nevertheless better, thanks for the trick. thumbs up
exeterdown
Tried using the 210e tonight to attenuate my 281e - so my 292e wouldn't open completely and give a duller sound. But found it made no sound at all.

As I opened the decay of the 281e past .01, the 210e started to pass the signal. So it seems it doesn't work well with fast CVs.

My least used module - beginning to think about trades.
Kent
The rightmost output will pass pulses and fast transients sometimes. It tends to drop about 65% of them. It wasn't designed to pass them and the processor is too damn slow to juggle everything.
Leoespejo
Although it's a module that really needs a revision. It is in every patch I build, essential when you use "Preset Manager".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2