MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

springing for a whole new setup.. Help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author springing for a whole new setup.. Help
knittingram
So I am getting a grant and I am gonna fill a modular world case maybe a mission 9.. Most likely a MW.

Check out my configs so far..

whaddya think?
DougD
Those are all so different it's hard to know how to evaluate them. What sort of music will you be creating on your modular?

Also the Cyndustries Saw Animator is rather hard to obtain these days...
sandyb
i agree with Doug. what sort of music do you want to make? how do you see your modular integrating with your other gear? it might be easier for people to comment on a single setup rather than several different variations smile

sandy
wetterberg
yeah, I can't make sense of any of this, hehe.

All I can say is I only like the looks of the last two layouts, and even they have *way* too much planB in them for my tastes.

My advice: Get a 9U case, but only buy 3U worth of modules for it.

Only get essentials, get enough to start making noise there.

Then add on the last 6U incrementally as you learn to use your new rig.
RetBody
In all of these, you have tons of CV sources and tons of audio sources, and no mixers except the sum out on the QMMG in the last one. I'd try and get one linear mixer for CVs and on log mixer for audio in there.
worker8
On the first one, there is not enough VCA.

I guess it's difficult to pack three full voices (VCO/filter/VCA/enveloppe/LFO) in a 6U case. I tried many times, and I'm never satisfied. I think you'll always miss some funny stuff which are part of the modular game.

I can comment on a single system. But this is too much for me (to be honest, a little boring).
anselmi
I like the last setup the most
too much vactrols but just 1 oscillator...I´d swap the M13 for and anti-oscillator or other oscillator of your choice
loudone
I have a feeling that the grant has to do with making sound hmmm.....
So maybe describe what you want to or maybe are aiming for and then these people here will be able to give you awesome advice.
The fun modules are cool, but definately get doepfer utilities in there. there is a thread on it a few weeks ago. dougCl has a nice list of good t have doepfer modules

thumbs up
Reptil
you found a saw animator? I didn't know these were in production again.
knittingram
OK so I removed all but 2 configs..

These are the the two that seem pretty reasonable..

I am going for experimental type sounds.. chaotic and random..
but also I want to have some traditional synth sensability so I can integrate it into guitar based rock.
Cat-A-Tonic
If you want all that MFB, consider the Kraftzwerg.
That would free up half the rack.
wetterberg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
If you want all that MFB, consider the Kraftzwerg.
That would free up half the rack.
And save you some money on the modules - I do believe the Kraftzwerg is cheaper bought as a full unit instead of modules.
knittingram
Yea thats nice in theory but I want to travel around with this setup so another piece, goes against that idea..
wetterberg
you could put the kraftzwerg inside the bottom row of a 6U case, hehe. Just shove it in there.
DGTom
The kraftzwerg is less than 19"s wide right? 8U rack with a slide out drawer.

especially if you are looking to have a standard synth set-up some of the time this makes alot of sense to me.
Illiac
yeah, just get the kraftzwerg and a 3 or 6u case if it's like that. The kraftzwerg will sit nicely on top or set it up like a keyboard underneath a case.
knittingram
Hmmm.. I'd rather just dump the MFB than do that, just based on looks alone.. Also, I don't want to use a semi mod as a crutch.. I'd like to start from scratch each time...
MrDys
knittingram wrote:
Hmmm.. I'd rather just dump the MFB than do that, just based on looks alone..

I can't wait until people get over this mindset. They are awesome modules. Use awesome modules.
knittingram
I'm afraid I won't make that evolutionary leap for you.. and you did take that out of context... (you know, what I said about semi mods..)

Besides, there was more than a full kraftzwerg in my configs..
Illiac
Also, curious what you want to do with 6 vcos?
knittingram
perhaps I want a really, REALLY thick tone! Also, this is why I am discussing this in a public forum. Dead Banana
Cat-A-Tonic

How about this revision?

Do you have pedals as well?
If so, a Doepfer A-138-d crossfader/effects insert module may be a useful way to add some outboard processing, and feedback loops.

I like that 25%+ of your case is dedicated to chaos.
When you expand, consider a Noise Ring.

The Osc-2 has an onboard ring mod. which is admittedly not as flexible and assuredly not as nice sounding as the Oakley, but in this amount of space one must have functional priorities.

The polarizing mixer will cover cv.
The exponential mixer will cover audio.
The Doepfer dual lin/exp VCA is a good solid utility.
The Oakley VCA has a second input for mixing in a sub, or what have you.

The Sound of Shadows includes a VCA, and has nice feedback looping features.
+ who doesn't love delay?

The Tip-Top filter looks tastier than the MFB,
but you might also consider other filters from Doepfer that occupy the same HP.
... maybe the Wasp?

The Maths can be patched to do ADSR.
Illiac
knittingram wrote:
perhaps I want a really, REALLY thick tone! Also, this is why I am discussing this in a public forum. Dead Banana

perhaps you can get stuffed if that's your attitude when you ask for advise and people try to gather some more information to help you.
knittingram
@Illiac Hey I wasn't trying push your buttons.. I noticed that the osc-2 has different controls than I thought and that maybe 6 WAS excessive.. That reply was sarcasm.. thumbs up
knittingram
Oh I forgot to mention.. I already got stuffed this morning, so no thanks.. Had enough today.. Sometimes my mailman get be a little weird. hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2