Moog Sub37 (not fake)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Poptones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poptones » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Here's more diversity (from the sub phatty):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ27Ql5xaxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV9-DNTtKk0

Although I've only spent some time with the Sub Phatty in a store, I found it pretty easy to make it sound rather traditional. The key is not to turn the oscillator levels all the way up.

AlanC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AlanC » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 pm

EMwhite wrote:But I'd like to hear some softer sounds, classic basses and leads or maybe even some metallic textures (sync'd detuning) and plucks from a demo.

Every demo I've head from the Sub-Phatty sound engine seem harsh with so much emphasis on overdriving various aspects of the filter and VCA. This is not a criticism, maybe it's what the world wants...
Not me.

I have a Sub Phatty and, as has been said, if you keep the levels in the mixer below half way then it doesn't overload the filter and sounds very much like the Slim Phatty (which I also own).

Here's a quick clip I chopped out from a cover of "Only You" which is 100% Sub Phatty using some straight bass, plucked and metallic sounds. There's nothing more than a bit of stereo delay and reverb by way of effects:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... 20Clip.aif

Dropbox because Soundcloud would probably get upset about copyright infringement... :roll:

That latest Sweetwater demo video by Amos makes me want a Sub 37. Well, I guess you can never have too many Moogs. :mrgreen:

Poptones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poptones » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:15 pm

AlanC wrote:Here's a quick clip I chopped out from a cover of "Only You" which is 100% Sub Phatty using some straight bass, plucked and metallic sounds. There's nothing more than a bit of stereo delay and reverb by way of effects:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109 ... 20Clip.aif
That's really nice!

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Closing in a release date for this....possibly...haha. They are now saying end of August, mid- September.
https://www.youtube.com/c/fortressofsound/ - Synth demos and other absurd nonsense

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm

I got to spend several hours with the Sub 37 this weekend. I should preface this by saying that I'm not really a Moog fan at all - I often say that they're the Gibson or Harley Davidson of the synth world - overpriced, stodgy and conservative as a company, stuck in the past, kind of douchey, and largely coasting on their name brand. I'm not kidding, I'm kind of a hater.

So it should really carry extra weight when I say Moog has knocked the ball right out of the fucking park with this thing. It is phenomenal. :yay:

It feels a lot like a Little Phatty done right. It sounds better, plays better, feels better, and reacts better than the LP; they've clearly overhauled things since then.

The modulation section is bonkers - especially with the looping envelopes, plus hold and delay stages for the filter envelope, plus two LFO's that go to pitch and filter and a third destination, which you can define through the "program" option as almost anything else in the entire synth. It has the soul and vibe of a VCS3 when you're just looping the envelopes and tweaking the different stages - it goes very "West Coast" very quickly, spitting out insane sidebands and audio-rate modulation and bursts of attacks and thumps. Holy crap, they've basically crammed a modest modular into a Little Phatty sized machine.

Speaking of that, even the portamento section is switchable in multiple ways - three different portamento styles, plus "gated" options, etc. It seems like every damn parameter on the machine has extra features that they'd normally not include or would include but would hide behind a clunky menu. Not here - the panel is crowded for sure, but you constantly have "oh cool, let's try that" buttons next to and around every single knob. Having the filter poles selectable right by the cutoff knob is rad - and you can modulate the slope!

The sequencer is awesome as hell - up to 64 steps, it records velocity (which you can then turn up-->filter or reassign to another parameter using the menu), you can stack two notes on a step if in duophonic mode, and when combined with exponential portamento response it sounds astoundingly like a Roland x0x sequencer. I say this as an owner of an MC-202, MC-4, and more. It's just that Roland vibe, the way it snakily slides between the notes. And the slides are easy to put in while tapping in notes - just hold one key and then press the second one to put in a legato. It'll record the damned mod wheel per step too, jeez. It reminds me a ton of the SH-101 sequencer, it's so quick and easy to play in sequences with rests and legato slides and then get it rocking and transpose from the keyboard.

I'm wild about this thing. My only complaint is the completely naked little area with the pitch and mod wheels - it feels as oddly empty as the Phatty's, and is maybe even the same part? That little section always looked "unfinished' to me. I wish they had stuck the octave switches there or even the portamento knob or something, but no dice.

I can't wait to pick up one of these things.

Bonus pic of little dude rocking out on it.

Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Poptones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poptones » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks for the enthusiastic review! That was a nice read.
One more question: Do the 16 preset buttons work in conjunction with the step sequencer by now, i.e. do they represent the single steps when you switch to sequencer edit mode?

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Poptones wrote:Thanks for the enthusiastic review! That was a nice read.
One more question: Do the 16 preset buttons work in conjunction with the step sequencer by now?
I don't think they had any effect on the sequence, but I'm not sure I tried them because I assumed that they switched presets and I didn't want to switch away from the sequence I was working on. I can't say for sure.
www.goodglassrecords.com

microtonal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by microtonal » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:32 pm

jabberwalky wrote:Closing in a release date for this....possibly...haha. They are now saying end of August, mid- September.
Waiting on firmware...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMwhite
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:01 am

Those looping envelopes are really useful (on the clips above).

Seems like such a straightforward feature to implement. If the Slim Phatty code supported this, I'd buy one; miss my Little Phatty Tribute.
Beware of programmers with screwdrivers...

controlvoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by controlvoltage » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 am

One more question: Do the 16 preset buttons work in conjunction with the step sequencer by now, i.e. do they represent the single steps when you switch to sequencer edit mode?
I can answer that one -- the 16 preset buttons will VERY SOON be usable as an editing interface for the sequencer - they'll show 16 steps at a time (up to 4 "pages" of steps to address up to 64 steps of sequence), you can press a step to select it for editing, and so on.

This was not 100% ready to go yet so the decision was made to ship v1.0.0 without graphical step editing, and add it in as soon as it's solid (which it's very close already).

So for now it's skrait sh101 style... although there is at least a step number indicator on the LCD so you don't have to rely quite as much on memory when tapping in a sequence.

one bonus feature that is already included: once a pattern is recorded, you can "rotate" it left or right relative to the beat... shifting all the steps backwards or forwards in a circular fashion (so beat one of an 8-step pattern rotated two steps to the left would end up on beat 7, sort of thing). It's really fun when synced to a drum machine... :)

Poptones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poptones » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 am

controlvoltage wrote:
I can answer that one -- the 16 preset buttons will VERY SOON be usable as an editing interface for the sequencer - they'll show 16 steps at a time (up to 4 "pages" of steps to address up to 64 steps of sequence), you can press a step to select it for editing, and so on.

This was not 100% ready to go yet so the decision was made to ship v1.0.0 without graphical step editing, and add it in as soon as it's solid (which it's very close already).

So for now it's skrait sh101 style... although there is at least a step number indicator on the LCD so you don't have to rely quite as much on memory when tapping in a sequence.

one bonus feature that is already included: once a pattern is recorded, you can "rotate" it left or right relative to the beat... shifting all the steps backwards or forwards in a circular fashion (so beat one of an 8-step pattern rotated two steps to the left would end up on beat 7, sort of thing). It's really fun when synced to a drum machine... :)
Thanks a lot for your comment!

One more question with regard to the sequencer: Will we be able to "swing it" as Nick Batt used to ask?

controlvoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by controlvoltage » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44 am

Yes, the sequencer will swing.
(you're welcome, Nick.)

Poptones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Poptones » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 am

controlvoltage wrote:Yes, the sequencer will swing.
(you're welcome, Nick.)
Cool. Thank you!

3vcos
Must have slack/modules

Post by 3vcos » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:04 am

:drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer:
microtonal wrote:
jabberwalky wrote:Closing in a release date for this....possibly...haha. They are now saying end of August, mid- September.
Waiting on firmware...

marzhall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marzhall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Bath House wrote:I got to spend several hours with the Sub 37 this weekend... I can't wait to pick up one of these things.
As someone with one of these on preorder and made nervous by the primarily harsh-sounding demos, this is a great post to read. I was lured in by the Gentry NAMM video, and believed the sub 37 could sound great from that, but it's just nice to hear it from someone who got to use it in-person. Mind if I asked how you got the chance to play with it?

Also, I love that this place has a Guinness emoticon. :guinness:

mike_stifle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mike_stifle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Sounds like Sweetwater reps are contacting customers and shipping out today.

Moog forums

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:05 pm

I can confirm as much. I received my shipping notice from Sweetwater a couple hours ago.

I ordered on 01/24/14.

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:23 pm

this thing sounds great.

i recorded this a couple weeks ago, forgot to post it here. one take. Moog Sub37 -> Zoom MS100BT -> Roland TR-8 -> TC Electronic Ditto X2 (as a field recorder) -> netbook -> internet:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/157852654" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

set up in the studio now:

also there's this ... :guinness:

[video][/video]
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
http://knobcon.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Sounds great, STG! :hyper: :love:

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 pm

To answer the question, I drove down to STG's and played with his!
www.goodglassrecords.com

marzhall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by marzhall » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:37 am

suitandtieguy wrote:
also there's this ... :guinness:

[video][/video]
:eek: You! I saw this video pop up on YouTube a few weeks back, posted it in the gearslutz thread supposing that you were working on presets for Moog. So jealous.
Bath House wrote:
To answer the question, I drove down to STG's and played with his!
So, ah, STG, are you currently taking applications for friends?

madhermit
1-Post Wiggler

Post by madhermit » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 pm

A Gearslutz user posted an audio demo of the factory sounds on Soundcloud here…
Moog Sub 37 Factory Sounds Audio Demo

mike_teevee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mike_teevee » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 am

A user on the moog forums posted a video of himself wiggling around on it. I had no doubt's about this guy, especially hearing what Vav and STG had to say about it, but after hearing this I am even more pumped.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Has anyone else received the Sub 37 yet? I placed my order in mid-March and haven't been contacted by the Sweetwater rep yet. Just wondering how far down the line I am.

evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler

Post by evileye0702 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 pm

booger wrote:Has anyone else received the Sub 37 yet? I placed my order in mid-March and haven't been contacted by the Sweetwater rep yet. Just wondering how far down the line I am.
I received mine last Thursday (07/24) from Sweetwater. I ordered mine the end of January. If you haven't heard anything you could give them a call or assume you didn't make it into the first batch.

Return to “General Gear”