MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone here own a Haken Continuum ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Anyone here own a Haken Continuum ?
mousegarden
Blown away by this, was wondering if anyone has one here ? And if it responds to back/front movement ? Would it be possible for instance to assign the keys to a filter and change the cut-off by moving your finger to the back of the key, Animoog style ? If this is possible it would make a dream modular controller for me.

MouseGarden.
dan_p
^ theres a few threads on here about it, I'd kind of like one myself. Particularly with the onboard DSP. that Eagen Matrix looks pretty damn good.

Anyway, yes, you have X/Y/Z so left_right, forward_back and pressure.

As far as I know its very flexible in terms of set up. I;'m pretty sure that you can use the Eagen Matrix to also effect how the CVC responds and sends CV. So yes, with a modular it would be pretty cool.

I really want to try one out. I have a 223e so may be overkill, which is stopping me just ordering one from Haken. The internal sounds and Eagen matrix are a definite win for me though as its a self contained instrument in its own right.
mousegarden
Thnak's, I found this on the website.......

"•Pressure and front-to-back can be configured for any Midi continuous controller message."

Yes, it sounds perfect, but it's not cheap, I thought it was around two grand, I'll have to really have a good go on one before spending the best part of five grand.

Mousegarden
mousegarden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_-lhLLjLU

JEEZE ! this is amazing !

I dont think that Harken's sales are going to be boosted by endless cello impersonations, or Jordan S******G Rudess doing metal guitar solos on it, what's the point of that ? But each to his own I suppose meh

But the guy in this video is trualy amazing, makes good use of the pitch bending, and the actual sound is beautiful.

MouseGraden.
Adamalthus
The late Richard Lainhart (rlainhart on Muffs) was a virtuoso using the Haken with his Buchla 200e system. The following performance should give you a pretty good idea of what is possible with this combination.

Enjoy!

[/video]
MechaSeb
An Harken no, but an Haken maybe razz

I had the chance to put my fingers (among other parts of my body) on one some weeks ago.

As expected it's a truely amazing controller & synth ! Might take some hours to get completely used to the surface behavior (should say how to play properly and/or "musically") but it's quite intuitive and pleasantly reactive. I'd say perfect for both experimentals and standards "musical" stuffs... and of course glissando.

TBH, had some doubts about the surface material before trying one in real but it completely disappeared now. Okay if you're dumb enough to stick a cutter through the surface it won't resist (tis but a scratch !) but for normal purpose it's really high quality built enough.

The Eagan matrix looks really interesting to manipulate and sounded very good to my ears. Though we just swapped presets focusing on the Haken itself... so can't say much excepted i wish i could have a Serge as big as Mr. Eagan.

My two cents (fwiw)
Adamalthus
The fingerboard is a very high resolution device. The range of expression exceeds that which can be captured by MIDI. HakenAudio sell a CV converter which takes the hi-res output and converts it directly into a multi channel CV output.

Using the CVC is the most expressive way to connect the Fingerboard directly to a modular and generally how Richard had things set up. He eventually converted to a direct 4 channel MIDI connection via the 225e to reduce the complexity and weight of his mobile rig.

BTW - Richard and Jordan Rudess were both neighbors and very good friends Rockin' Banana!
mousegarden
Adamalthus wrote:
The fingerboard is a very high resolution device. The range of expression exceeds that which can be captured by MIDI. HakenAudio sell a CV converter which takes the hi-res output and converts it directly into a multi channel CV output.

Using the CVC is the most expressive way to connect the Fingerboard directly to a modular and generally how Richard had things set up. He eventually converted to a direct 4 channel MIDI connection via the 225e to reduce the complexity and weight of his mobile rig.

BTW - Richard and Jordan Rudess were both neighbors and very good friends Rockin' Banana!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM-WBqDZ-Q&list=RDff_-lhLLjLU

Another good video, says all I want to know.
The CV interface sounds amazing, I can imagine spending weeks trying to get that to work !
I actually like Rudess, his keyboard style is great, a sort of sideways glance at Keith Emerson. But he does have this habbit of popping up everywhere !

Mousegarden.
mousegarden
Adamalthus wrote:
The late Richard Lainhart (rlainhart on Muffs) was a virtuoso using the Haken with his Buchla 200e system. The following performance should give you a pretty good idea of what is possible with this combination.

Enjoy!

[/video]

Love this video, I like th way the piece develops, and goes of in all sorts of unexpected directions.

Mousegarden
Kent
One of many R. Lainhart's luscious performances on the Haken/Buchla combo:

zapp550
I've owned a Continuum for a couple years now and it was probably the best buy for sonic exploration i've bought since starting a modular. The model I bought was a slightly older version before Lippold started installing the onboard DSP, that said he was able to install it in mine when I made a trip down to Champaign/Urbana. The EaganMatrix is something i've still been trying to wrap my head around in terms of programming (i've mainly been altering the "presets" to get a better feel for it) but it's very deep. The CVC is really easy to work with too (definitely wouldn't take weeks), and if you've got a modular or even semi modular you're going to want to pick it up. The price tag is definitely on the higher side, but the way I justified in my mind was it's a terrific instrument in itself, but it's also a very unique controller that will open up anything you connect it to. Also aside from the build quality being top notch and Lippolds support being excellent, the Continuum is something he's been working on since before I was born (i'm 30). Here's a video of him showing one of the Continuum prototypes (skip to about the 6 minute mark if you just want to see the prototype)

Also if you've got any other specific questions you can shoot me a message.
GNE
Here is a quick video I did a while back to demo the Braids module.

If you plan to use this with your modular, the Haken CV interface is a must.

GovernorSilver
Hello Music's just inaugurated Used section has a Continuum on sale for $2400:

http://www.hellomusic.com/Marketplace/listing/55/haken-audio-continuum -fingerboard-full-size-midi-controller
zapp550
GovernorSilver wrote:
Hello Music's just inaugurated Used section has a Continuum on sale for $2400:

http://www.hellomusic.com/Marketplace/listing/55/haken-audio-continuum -fingerboard-full-size-midi-controller

That's a killer price for a full size model woah
dan_p
^ no internal dsp
mousegarden
zapp550 wrote:
I've owned a Continuum for a couple years now and it was probably the best buy for sonic exploration i've bought since starting a modular. The model I bought was a slightly older version before Lippold started installing the onboard DSP, that said he was able to install it in mine when I made a trip down to Champaign/Urbana. The EaganMatrix is something i've still been trying to wrap my head around in terms of programming (i've mainly been altering the "presets" to get a better feel for it) but it's very deep. The CVC is really easy to work with too (definitely wouldn't take weeks), and if you've got a modular or even semi modular you're going to want to pick it up. The price tag is definitely on the higher side, but the way I justified in my mind was it's a terrific instrument in itself, but it's also a very unique controller that will open up anything you connect it to. Also aside from the build quality being top notch and Lippolds support being excellent, the Continuum is something he's been working on since before I was born (i'm 30). Here's a video of him showing one of the Continuum prototypes (skip to about the 6 minute mark if you just want to see the prototype)

Also if you've got any other specific questions you can shoot me a message.

Thank's, I can't see the video, for some reason my I pad isn't showing video links, but I'll copy and past the link.
Well, I want to get a Buchla is year, but I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough cash to buy both the Buchla, and the Contimuum, will have to Waite and see. I can imagine locking myself away for ever with those two, and what a grand existence that would be.

MouseGarden.
mousegarden
I can see the videos now ! My cookies were cleared, all OK now.
I would like to have one with the internal synth, it looked really interesting.
I'm not going to be in a position to buy until about three months time, so any seccondhand ones are out right now.
It's going to be amazing doing what I do on the Animoog on anything I want, since using the Animoog keyboard it's really limiting going back to a normal type, it's like most of your expression has been taken away.

MouseGarden.
GovernorSilver
dan_p wrote:
^ no internal dsp

How much does Haken charge to install one?
dadek
i did this quite a while ago on a full size:

https://soundcloud.com/dadek/continuum-improv-03

this was played live with internal sound into an axe-fx.
mousegarden
dadek wrote:
i did this quite a while ago on a full size:

https://soundcloud.com/dadek/continuum-improv-03

this was played live with internal sound into an axe-fx.

That is good, the more I listen to the Continuum the more I think.......

This is not an option, this is a necessity, this really is a landmark instrument, especially for the type of music I want to make.

MouseGarden.
arnoux
zapp550 love your vids on youtube!

This Continuum fingerboard is a dream, I dream of it since I saw the first video by Richard, wow. It would take some years to buy one sadly but it is in my wish list, hope one day..
For now what can I do is getting a Doepfer Ribbon Controller, not the same but I will be happy!
dadek
i do have a soundplane, and while i love the feel of the wood, i still haven't quite made that connection to it as an instrument yet.
the built in sounds are such a huge part of how i made my connection with the continuum although i'ved used it with the modular as well, and the continual development of it's sound engine has made amazing progress.
mousegarden
dadek wrote:
i do have a soundplane, and while i love the feel of the wood, i still haven't quite made that connection to it as an instrument yet.
the built in sounds are such a huge part of how i made my connection with the continuum although i'ved used it with the modular as well, and the continual development of it's sound engine has made amazing progress.

I Immediately thought that the way the DSP is laid out is fantastic in the Continuum, very logical and easy yo use, at least, it looks that way. Some great potential there. But my feeling is that as an instrument, you have to put in the time with it, and really get to know it, like learning any instrument I suppose, but particularly with this, not an easy thing to do as I get older ! Like trying to learnt the violin to concert level at 60.

MouseGarden.
Paranormal Patroler
How I wish the small version was made cheaper somehow (a guy can dream). I've been lusting over it for quite some time but it's definitely out of my price range. Maybe after I become rich? hihi
arnoux
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Maybe after I become rich? hihi

So maybe you can but one for me too! cry

And what about a non-DSP version, just a controller, is it available as option officially?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2