MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MIDI/CV options
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author MIDI/CV options
anselmi
I wonder what are the options for a MIDI/CV interface with more than 1 (note) CV and GATE output...I want to control more than 1 oscillator with independent pitch from a MIDI sequencer...maybe 3 or 4
decaying.sine
Have you seen the Doepfer A-190-1
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/a190/

Or some of the Kenton stuff:
http://www.kentonuk.com/digital_interfaces_converters/midi_cv_converte rs_extras/pro2000.html
chinard
theres also the roland mpu-101 that show up on ebay once in a while.
4 channel mono or up to 4 note polyphonic midi/cv.
I use one, and they are pretty badass with a midi sequencer.

I have designed a sequencer performance patch for the mpu-101 on my nord g2 that sets it up for 4 gate outs plus 11 cv outs using 15 individual sequencers. pretty fun stuff.
anselmi
decaying.sine: of course that was my first checks, thanks! I´m asking for another options to comapare...Is really weird that we got so little options

chinard: thanks for the advice on the roland, but I´d like something more up to date...with today avalanche of new modules and manufacturers one could expect to got more than 2 or 3 way to MIDI drive an analog synth, modular or not... sad banana
Badr0b0t
Have you checked out Volta and an MOTU audio interface?
dkcg
chinard wrote:
theres also the roland mpu-101 that show up on ebay once in a while.
4 channel mono or up to 4 note polyphonic midi/cv.
I use one, and they are pretty badass with a midi sequencer.

I have designed a sequencer performance patch for the mpu-101 on my nord g2 that sets it up for 4 gate outs plus 11 cv outs using 15 individual sequencers. pretty fun stuff.

I agree!

It's badassed and pretty quick for "old gear". I almost sold mine a while back, glad I didn't. 4 channels of CV, gate, vekocity, + 3 more modulation outputs.

Here's a demo of mine from a little while back:

I was interested in the Kenton 2000 until I saw this one on craigslist. The only other one I would consider now is the Encore one with 8 outputs. But this plus my tetramaps is plenty of midi 2 CV.
Chuck E. Jesus
isn't Doepfer supposed to come out with a 4ch midi>cv?
decaying.sine
Yeah. I heard that too. They have it listed on their front page as A-190-3, but with a note that it is being redesigned. Haven't been on the Doepfer boards in awhile so not sure how soon it'll be until releaase.
REwire
Encore Expressionists do polyphony as well as Signal Arts MAPS sequencers.

I think it will be a long time before that Doepfer Poly module comes out. I posted on the Yahoo list that it seemed to be locked for 4 note polyphony but what if you didn't always have 4 oscs to control; 2 or 3?

-Dan
os
Badr0b0t wrote:

Or at a quarter of the price, Silent Way?
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35
Reptil
secondhand MCV24
I've seen one in the last 3 months, on ebay.
don't know how many are out there?
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
anal sys RS module as well. applause
Illiac
os wrote:
Badr0b0t wrote:

Or at a quarter of the price, Silent Way?
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

or just samples of a rectified squarewave in a DAW sampler with envelope automation at no price? sad banana
os
Illiac wrote:
or just samples of a rectified squarewave and a pulse wave in a DAW sampler with envelope automation at no price? sad banana

Well yes, that would do it, though a lot of people are happy to pay a small amount for the convenience and extra functionality you get from dedicated software.

Good luck getting that to work polyphonically, too! woah
Illiac
Oops, should have read the OP's question more carefully...
Polyphony playing is much better served with volta or silent way (polyphonic sequencing is still easy though).
haven
anselmi wrote:
decaying.sine: of course that was my first checks, thanks! I´m asking for another options to comapare...Is really weird that we got so little options

chinard: thanks for the advice on the roland, but I´d like something more up to date...with today avalanche of new modules and manufacturers one could expect to got more than 2 or 3 way to MIDI drive an analog synth, modular or not... sad banana

The Kenton Pro2000mk2 decaying.sine linked to can do up to 5 voices of polyphony. The aux outs can be switched to note/oct and gates and the voice allocation is programmed on the device.

Personally I think dedicated MIDI to CV are a better deal than module based MIDI/CV. you don't have to pay for the rack space and you usually get more features. The module mounted ones certainly are convenient for live setup.

I think the reason why we don't see more MIDI/CV modules is that Doepfer, Analogue Solutions, MFB and Analog Systems already have them, Kenton already has the market on stand alone converters and now there is Volta and Silent Way - who would be crazy enough to compete with all that?
stretta
Quote:
secondhand MCV24

I have an MCV24 for sale if you like.
tonnu
if rack space is not an issue, i'd recommend a midi-cv module, especially if you play out a lot

i lug my 9U around with a monomachine, korg microkontrol, and small tapco mixer, and a bunch of pedals. somehow, lugging the kenton seems, to me, to just add a fucking of a lot of heavy burden as you need also a separate power supply.

i'm looking to downgrade to a portable 6U suitcase (when monorocket does another run of their custom options) with built in midi-cv specialized for drones.

yummm
Chuck E. Jesus
the problem with volta/silent way is the lack of compatible interfaces...or more correctly my interface isn't compatible...

but i do have an MPU-101 razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1