Cwejman SFH-1

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

The Disquiet
Wiggling with Experience

Cwejman SFH-1

Post by The Disquiet » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:42 am

Is the Cwejman SFH-1 discrete or digital ? I assume the latter?

Are there any discrete frequency shifter out there (regardless of the format) other than the Modcan 39B ?

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 am

Analogue Systems offer a Bode type Frq Shftr

narwhal
Ultra Wiggler

Post by narwhal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 am

the FSH-1? it's all analog. and sounds terrific.

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:47 am

All Cwejman are analogue, so is the FSH-1.
Best freq shifter I ever heard (as in the most appealing sound)
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

Michel van der Aa

Post by Michel van der Aa » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:06 am

narwhal wrote:the FSH-1? it's all analog. and sounds terrific.
Cool, has anyone ever compared it with the Modcan 39B ?

narwhal
Ultra Wiggler

Post by narwhal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 am

not that i'm aware of, although navs did a shoot out with a E560.

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... otout.html

here's the fsh-1 in use as a stereo phaser.

https://soundcloud.com/narwhal-6/fsh-1- ... reo-phaser

EnricoGaruda
Wiggling with Experience

Post by EnricoGaruda » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:43 pm

narwhal wrote:the FSH-1? it's all analog. and sounds terrific.
terrific? :hihi:

narwhal
Ultra Wiggler

Post by narwhal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:48 pm

don't diss my adjectives.

The Disquiet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Disquiet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 pm

great, thanks for the info guys! :sb:

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:32 pm

i think my fsh-1 gets noisier with time...
just to be sure that i'm not complaining about a problem which isn't one...
do people with an fsh-1 experience noise? does the noise get louder with feedback patches (output into in)?
is some noise to be expected with an analog freq shifter?

i had such crazy bad luck with so many cwejman modules.
i really really hope i don't have to send this one in (5th module :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: )

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:34 pm

timoka wrote:i think my fsh-1 gets noisier with time...
do people with an fsh-1 experience noise? does the noise get louder with feedback patches (output into in)?

i really really hope i don't have to send this one in (5th module :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: )
I don't have a Cwejman but I do have a DACS Freque II, and my first thought when you mention noise and feedback patches is the input level. So I would make sure you are sending the feedback into the attenuated input and try adjusting that level as well as checking the level of the original input signal, which you may also need to attenuate before sending it to the FSH-1 if it's too hot.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:49 pm

adaris wrote:

I don't have a Cwejman but I do have a DACS Freque II, and my first thought when you mention noise and feedback patches is the input level. So I would make sure you are sending the feedback into the attenuated input and try adjusting that level as well as checking the level of the original input signal, which you may also need to attenuate before sending it to the FSH-1 if it's too hot.
thanks, yes i do that and i'm aware of hot levels, the fsh-1 can easily clip. i'm not talking about that noise however, more white noisy and a feedback just makes it more pronounced but it's there without it too.
actually it's the noisiest module i have, some wavefolders are noisy too but the fsh-1 gets them all and i truly think it gets worse over time... :despair:

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:03 pm

timoka wrote:
adaris wrote:

thanks, yes i do that and i'm aware of hot levels, the fsh-1 can easily clip. i'm not talking about that noise however, more white noisy and a feedback just makes it more pronounced but it's there without it too.
actually it's the noisiest module i have, some wavefolders are noisy too but the fsh-1 gets them all and i truly think it gets worse over time... :despair:
Ok, then I'm afraid I can't be of much help other than to say that so far I haven't noticed anything like that with the Freque II, which is also analog, although not a eurorack module.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:13 pm

have mine since 4 years in heavy use. no noise. since I upgraded my psu because of noise issues I pay some attention to noise and found all my cwejmans to be extremely quiet.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:19 pm

MvK wrote:have mine since 4 years in heavy use. no noise. since I upgraded my psu because of noise issues I pay some attention to noise and found all my cwejmans to be extremely quiet.
ok thanks that's what i (not) wanted to hear...at least now i'm sure something is wrong. i know it's not a psu problem and all other cwejman gear is dead silent!
so i guess it's broken, i will email cwejman.
gosh but seriously, i must be extremely unlucky. 5 of my cwejman modules had problems :waah: :waah: :waah:

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:21 pm

adaris wrote:
timoka wrote:
adaris wrote:

Ok, then I'm afraid I can't be of much help other than to say that so far I haven't noticed anything like that with the Freque II, which is also analog, although not a eurorack module.
just looked up the freque II .... my eyes :emt: :emt: !! but it sounds amazing!

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:22 pm

adaris wrote:

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone mention the freque before. I have the original version. Do you ever use yours with the modular? Can it take modular signals directly? I know the cv would be fine but I wasn’t sure about the audio inputs so I never tried.

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:42 pm

insoul8 wrote:
adaris wrote:

Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone mention the freque before. I have the original version. Do you ever use yours with the modular? Can it take modular signals directly? I know the cv would be fine but I wasn’t sure about the audio inputs so I never tried.
I just got mine recently but yes, I have it hooked up to my eurorack system. As you know it has 1/4" jacks for everything, but I just got some 3.5mm to 1/4" cables and it works great. I just have it sitting on a TV tray near my eurorack, so no need for a breakout or anything. The Freque II has onboard input attenuators for audio and carrier signals so yeah, it can take modular signals with no problem, you just typically have to attenuate them a bit, but that's often true of other frequency shifters as well. The thing that's great about it that I don't think hardly anyone is aware of, as it's not explained well in the manual (in fact, the manual makes it sound like it can't do this), is it can accept external carrier signals in place of the internal oscillators not only for ring modulation but for frequency shifting as well. So if you have a Doepfer A-110-4 for instance, you can disable the internal oscillators and send the sine to the MOD1 input and the cosine to the MOD2 input (atttenuating them with the onbaord attenuators), and now you have a thru-zero analog frequency shifter with a huge range and separate up/down outputs that can track 1V/oct if you like. And if you want to use other waveforms, something like the Malekko Richter Osc II could serve as the carrier as well (although it wouldn't be thru-zero of course).
Last edited by adaris on Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:45 pm

timoka wrote:
adaris wrote:
timoka wrote:
adaris wrote:

just looked up the freque II .... my eyes :emt: :emt: !! but it sounds amazing!
They've actually given the new ones a better looking paint job now:

https://www.dacs-audio.com/wp-content/u ... -Panel.jpg

Return to “Eurorack Modules”