MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VERBOS ELECTRONICS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next [all]
Author VERBOS ELECTRONICS
johny_gtr
yellowecho wrote:
Eurtrude wrote:
In case you didn't see it, this video features the new ATC hyper

I asked about release and they commented "Released by the end of 2019 - Circuitry is different for this new one." SlayerBadger!
Yesterday I've received my first Verbos module - ATC mk1. I'm especially ordered v1 because of vactrol in the circuit.
yellowecho
johny_gtr wrote:
Yesterday I've received my first Verbos module - ATC mk1. I'm especially ordered v1 because of vactrol in the circuit.

Great choice! The ATC mkI rocks.
johny_gtr
yellowecho wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:

Yes, it sounds interesting. Not so vanilla like my Moog clone VCF+VCA combo but with its own character. It's especially good with Zadar and its experimental envelopes.

I'm thinking about dual filter or bark.
Has dual filter the same mojo/tone as ATC or different one (it looks like that dual filter has vactrols on the board, maybe for smooth modulation)?
Bark filter looks like FFB on steroid. I'm big fan of FFB at the end of chain, but this one looks more experimental.
Tumulishroomaroom
Never tried the Dual Filter although the little I have heard in videos sounds amazing.

I have the Bark and I really love it. It has a sound of its own that I happen to really like. It's very useful to dissect your sound source and turn it into exactly what you want or isolate bands and treat them further via the individual outs. It could be used as a studio tool too with any instrument as there is gain on the inputs. It's also a powerful modulation source with all the env followers. Like all Verbos designs, it's open ended and modular; and to me at least, sounds great.
Eurtrude
johny_gtr wrote:
yellowecho wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:

Yes, it sounds interesting. Not so vanilla like my Moog clone VCF+VCA combo but with its own character. It's especially good with Zadar and its experimental envelopes.

Has dual filter the same mojo/tone as ATC or different one (it looks like that dual filter has vactrols on the board, maybe for smooth modulation)?
Bark filter looks like FFB on steroid. I'm big fan of FFB at the end of chain, but this one looks more experimental.

I have the Dual Filter, and it certainely has a huge mojo... to my ears, it's very different from the ATC sound (due to the 24db/oct filtering + differnt circuitery) I absolutely love it for simple sounds (like just a filtered saw), it has a very very great vintage tone. With more complex sound (FM type of sounds), it starts to react strangely and it's quite unpredictable, leading to unexpected results (specially when adding resonance).

It leaks DC, overdrive very easilly, may be a bit Noisy too, dirty... but all of those quirks are part of the design. Definitely not for people who are looking for a somewhat clean/precise filter. Much more on the experimental side. Also, it really shines when heavily modulated (FM audio on it is incredible). Also, mine seems to have a much darker tone than the one that is showed in the Verbos YouTube demos.

I'll try to make a demo this evening with the Complex as the audio source.
Triglav
Eurtrude wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
yellowecho wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:

I have the Dual Filter, and it certainely has a huge mojo... to my ears, it's very different from the ATC sound (due to the 24db/oct filtering + differnt circuitery) I absolutely love it for simple sounds (like just a filtered saw), it has a very very great vintage tone. With more complex sound (FM type of sounds), it starts to react strangely and it's quite unpredictable, leading to unexpected results (specially when adding resonance).

It leaks DC, overdrive very easilly, may be a bit Noisy too, dirty... but all of those quirks are part of the design. Definitely not for people who are looking for a somewhat clean/precise filter. Much more on the experimental side. Also, it really shines when heavily modulated (FM audio on it is incredible). Also, mine seems to have a much darker tone than the one that is showed in the Verbos YouTube demos.

I'll try to make a demo this evening with the Complex as the audio source.

You can trim out the DC leak with the 4 tirmmers on the back. It's not easy, but it's doable.
Eurtrude
Triglav wrote:

You can trim out the DC leak with the 4 tirmmers on the back. It's not easy, but it's doable.

Thanks for the info ! Unfortunately I don't know what is the purpose of each trimmers... And I'm a bit afraid to mess the sound of it (ie not being able to step back in case of wrong turn).

Did you try it by ears only ?
Triglav
Eurtrude wrote:
Triglav wrote:

Thanks for the info ! Unfortunately I don't know what is the purpose of each trimmers... And I'm a bit afraid to mess the sound of it (ie not being able to step back in case of wrong turn).

Did you try it by ears only ?

You'll need a multimeter and some patience as the trimmers are very sensitive.

Here's the procedure:
Quote:
In some systems, the first batch of Dual Four Poles leaked noise from
the power supply into the signal. It has been revised and hasn't
been a problem since. More filtering of the power lines and a gain
change on the hipass side solved it. The first production version was
V2, and they were modded on that same board until recently. The
trims are DC offset on each stage of the lopass side. The 1960s style
filter stages do have some control bleed, but the level should be
unity gain. With the resonance down, cutoff up and a signal going
through they should be trimmed to 5.6v at TP1, TP2, TP3, TP4.

The resonance control is slow (optical element), and much more
sensitive in the lower range. It should definitely not be subtle
though. It should be very wet and juicy sounding. If the trims are not
right, it will effect the depth of the resonance.
mritenburg wrote:
1. Get a multi-meter
2. Look at back of the DFP
3. There are four square solder pads. (Should be easy to spot)
4. The square solder pads are test points for trimmers 1, 2, 3, and 4
5. With resonance all the way ccw and cutoff all the way cw, pass a saw wave through the low pass filter
6. Measure the voltage at square solder pad 1, adjust trimmer 1 until the voltage you measure at the pad is 5.6v
7. Repeat for the rest of the pads/trimmers

If you get each pad/trimmer set correctly to 5.6v, the low pass filter should be fully calibrated.
Eurtrude
Triglav wrote:

You'll need a multimeter and some patience as the trimmers are very sensitive.

Here's the procedure: ...

Ah, I saw that in the DFP thread. But the fact is my DFP is a rev5 (so I'm sure the 5.6V rule does apply) and, mostly, I really (really) suck at electronic and enven though I have a multimeter, I don't know how to use it to test the module (I saw there are some test pads but I'm clueless about how to use it...) confused .
Triglav
I also have a rev5 and after much wiggling I was able to get rid of the DC leak and have a nice resonance.

Make sure that resonance is set to zero, the lowpass is fully open and there's signal going through it.
Set your multimeter to DC mode (to first value that's larger than 5.6V), connect the black probe to ground (for example the sleeve of a plugged in jack cable) and the touch the other probe to the first test point. Adjust the corresponding trimmer until it reads 5.6V. Repeat for the other 3 pads/trimmers. You might have to go through it a couple of times before they are all stable.
Eurtrude
Triglav wrote:
I also have a rev5 and after much wiggling I was able to get rid of the DC leak and have a nice resonance.

Make sure that resonance is set to zero, the lowpass is fully open and there's signal going through it.
Set your multimeter to DC mode (to first value that's larger than 5.6V), connect the black probe to ground (for example the sleeve of a plugged in jack cable) and the touch the other probe to the first test point. Adjust the corresponding trimmer until it reads 5.6V. Repeat for the other 3 pads/trimmers. You might have to go through it a couple of times before they are all stable.

Thank you so much for the explanation !! Just a dumb question, the jack cable that I'll be using for the ground should be plugged into what ? soundcard or mixer table for example ?

I'll test it as soon as I can smile
Triglav
Ideally into the DFP, a CV input for example.
Make sure you clip onto the sleeve, not the tip.
Eurtrude
Triglav wrote:
Ideally into the DFP, a CV input for example.
Make sure you clip onto the sleeve, not the tip.

Ok ! Thanks again, that was very nice smile , I'll let you know if I get rid of the offset (until now, I was using a little HP filter to get rid of it, specially when using distortion after).
elinch
minimal piece based on two morphagene reel sets, which i recorded in the sound on sound procedure with the ems vcs 3. the harmonic oscillator comes later as a driving sequence to it.

Tumulishroomaroom
New improvised little performance; just sound this time :

[s]https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/improvisation-test-2[/s]

Trying to see how long I can play a simple patch. I was really just planning on recording the first 5/7 minutes but then felt like going on and I feel like it worked. Still a few mistakes here and there, but also some nice happy accidents.

Notable modules :

DFAM for the kick/sub
Complex Oscillator w/ Amplitude & Tone Controller love
Loquelic into Bark Filter love
One band of the Bark into the Multi Delay
Morphagene is also playing a reverb/pitch shifting wash from the Multi Delay I recorded some time ago.
Euro Trash Bazooka
I have an older version of the DPF, sent it back to Verbos for recalibration as I bought it second hand and the run of the HPF was really short. They sent it back to me and while it does work better, it keeps leaking a lot and is extremely sensitive to poor quality PSUs. It sounded pretty bad when I only had a Meanwell one and the change for a Row Power one did it a lot of good. It also tends to absorb whatever noise the modules next to it create. Needless to say I had to move it away from my Shard, whose output levels and noise are crazy.

So it's a difficult filter at times, and it shouldn't be your main filter or the only one in your rack. I LOVE my DPF (and also my ATC mk1) because what it does well, it does much better than anyone else (sending some signal from the CO in the DPF in bandpass is just wonderful) , but I'm also glad I have other filters to do other things with.

And I use my ATC at the end of everything I patch.

And I plan to buy two other Verbos modules in the coming weeks because I love them so, so much.
johny_gtr
I'm going to buy Harmonic OSC or DPF (have a money for one of them) and I'd like to ask a seller to check the module.
Can you please provide me checklist what to check (most common issues)? I live so far from any store and sending back is too long/not so cheap.
Euro Trash Bazooka
I can't talk about the HO (yet...) but there's a thread dedicated to the DPF you might want to read before you buy it. Go for a more stable, later version. Think you MIGHT want to have it be recalibrated after a while so ask whether it's ever been calibrated. And unless they improved, bear in mind communication with Verbos can be nerve-wracking. Eventually ask for a video clip of it from the seller showing you its range and all. If you need a clean filter, that won't do. If you need an amazing vintage-sounding one, go for it. I hardly ever use the HPF but the LPF, whenever I create more organic sounds, is my go-to filter.
Godphaser
If you buy an HO, check out the version, they vastly vary.
Euro Trash Bazooka
Godphaser wrote:
If you buy an HO, check out the version, they vastly vary.

OK, now I'm interested. Please tell me more about this.
Godphaser
There has been few revisions.

First one has a grungier sound, less range, different paint.

Latest revision sounds and looks way better.

There is something written on the PCB but can't remember what now.
Euro Trash Bazooka
Thank you for the information!
johny_gtr
it will be great if someone who has good (without issues) HO and DPF send the version/mk of PCB
damase
if you buy new from a dealer, you should be getting the latest revisions. you also get the ability to return if there is an issue

if youre worried at all, this is what id recommend. ive had great experience buying verbos from Detroit Modular, i had issues with a Scan and Pan, Dan confirmed it and accepted my return without hassle
johny_gtr
damase wrote:
if you buy new from a dealer, you should be getting the latest revisions. you also get the ability to return if there is an issue

if youre worried at all, this is what id recommend. ive had great experience buying verbos from Detroit Modular, i had issues with a Scan and Pan, Dan confirmed it and accepted my return without hassle

I hope so,
anyway maybe dealers should provide their QC before sending modules if there well-known issues. All these things sound weird after communication/work with MU builders.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next [all]
Page 127 of 130