MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VERBOS ELECTRONICS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129, 130  Next [all]
Author VERBOS ELECTRONICS
Godphaser
The PCB should have the number 102816, latest revision is post late 2016.
mritenburg
Godphaser wrote:
The PCB should have the number 102816, latest revision is post late 2016.

You might also seek out the rev 1 modules that were hand assembled before Verbos bought their pick-and-place machine. I have rev 1’s and never had any problems with them.
Godphaser
Rev1 have ceramic capacitors, the whine drove me insane.

Also put a Rev1 next to a later version, you might notice a pretty huge sonic difference.
mritenburg
Godphaser wrote:
Rev1 have ceramic capacitors, the whine drove me insane.

Also put a Rev1 next to a later version, you might notice a pretty huge sonic difference.

I haven’t experienced any ‘whine’ as you call it, but I also use true linear power supplies. I steer clear of switching supplies. Also, my rev1 DFP has much deeper resonance that what others have described/shown in examples.
Godphaser
The power supply might be the explanation but still, newer revisions don't have that issue.
Paul_N
This was from a few weeks ago -

Verbos Systems for Beginners:
[video] https://youtu.be/WM_KK2TqBWc [/video]

Advanced Patching:
[video] https://youtu.be/qTY_oemlCw8 [/video]

A lot of the advanced stuff already appeared on the Verbos channel in the past, but it was nice to hear Mark go through his thought process. Mark’s improvisation at the end was interesting; the waves reminded me a lot of Cianni.
Tumulishroomaroom
Paul_N wrote:
This was from a few weeks ago -

Verbos Systems for Beginners:

Advanced Patching:

A lot of the advanced stuff already appeared on the Verbos channel in the past, but it was nice to hear Mark go through his thought process. Mark’s improvisation at the end was interesting; the waves reminded me a lot of Cianni.

Fixed your links. And yes, quite interesting. I think I'm going to get a Sequence Selector once and for all, such a open module; he was basically using it in every patch. I really liked the wave switching and delay taps feedback tricks. But I don't have a sequential switch.
doublestewart
Thanks for posting these. +1 on the sequence selector, I love the flexibility it provides as a sequencer, switch, transposer. And I actually use the buttons on the bottom much more than I was expecting. It pairs so well with all of his other modules.
Tumulishroomaroom
Do you use it on it's own ? I'll be waiting for one to pop up used and grab it.
doublestewart
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Do you use it on it's own ? I'll be waiting for one to pop up used and grab it.

I'll use it by itself in a pinch if I need another sequencer, or as I mentioned I'll play it using the buttons for very simple sequences. I use it with the multistage the most, to make it a 16 step sequencer or to transpose a sequence. If i'm using my other case at the same time I'll often bring in the Rene and/or voltage block for even more sequencing options.

Getting one second hand sounds like a good plan, they are on the pricey side.
advrsry
Unfortunately neither the Seq Selector nor Control Voltage Processor pop up
often on the second hand market.
doublestewart
True, that's the case with pretty much all Verbos modules. I had to wait a long time before I was able to get a random sampling.
belsina
Triglav wrote:
I also have a rev5 and after much wiggling I was able to get rid of the DC leak and have a nice resonance.
(..)Adjust the corresponding trimmer until it reads 5.6V. Repeat for the other 3 pads/trimmers. You might have to go through it a couple of times before they are all stable.

Max value at TP1 trimmer is 5.35V. Trimmer is full ccw. seriously, i just don't get it
All other trimmer seems normal.

Rev5 with Doepfer PSU2 with minimal DC leak when LPF is closed.
Below the line my DPF sounds fantastic.
Euro Trash Bazooka
I can buy an HO that's unused for a good second hand price right now. PCB has 110915 written on it, so not the last rev. Should I still go for it?

I've already had to send some 2nd hand Verbos modules back to them for recalibration, I know the ordeal it can be. At this point I'd rather wait for a good version than a lesser one.

Thanks a lot for your input!
mritenburg
[quote="belsina"]
Triglav wrote:
Max value at TP1 trimmer is 5.35V. Trimmer is full ccw. :despair:
All other trimmer seems normal.

How are your front panel controls set? For the calibration procedure, resonance should be fully ccw and frequency should be fully cw.

The full procedure is in the DFP discussion.
belsina
Front panel settings was as described in Triglavs post.
Problem is fixed by Verbos Customer Service. applause
GreenPiece
Just sold my harmonic oscillator. It's a beautiful module and it was really hard to part with. I had issues with 1v/oct tracking using my Moog Grandmother as a controller. Just wanted to note this for anyone using a similar setup.

I couldn't really gel with it personally but really wanted to since I think it's one of the more unique modules available in Eurorack. I believe if I wanted to go down this path again I would consider a Dreadbox Antiphon which appears to have similar functionality albeit less.

Anyways, Happy Halloween all!
Euro Trash Bazooka
GreenPiece wrote:
Just sold my harmonic oscillator. It's a beautiful module and it was really hard to part with. I had issues with 1v/oct tracking using my Moog Grandmother as a controller. Just wanted to note this for anyone using a similar setup.

I couldn't really gel with it personally but really wanted to since I think it's one of the more unique modules available in Eurorack. I believe if I wanted to go down this path again I would consider a Dreadbox Antiphon which appears to have similar functionality albeit less.

Anyways, Happy Halloween all!

I don't know, I guess Verbos modules probably aren't the best when it comes to getting perfect results all the time. To me it's more about "taming the beast" and kind of hope for a great result. It usually works as far as I am concerned but I don't think I'd expect from Verbos modules to always be precise and easy to control all the time. Kind of sad really, but also part of their charm to me. They sound gorgeous but are too experimental by nature I suppose.

Anyway, I sent the payment for mine this morning. It's still under warrantee and I have the receipt so if there's anything wrong with it I'll be covered.
damase
i got a HO recently, module from 2018

it is not the easiest oscillator to calibrate... by this i mean its very easy to access the hole on the front and calibrate it up to be very accurate... but i turn my modular on the next day, and its not as perfect as i made it the previous attempt so i have to do it again. this wouldnt be as much an issue but with all those sine waves and just temperment flying around a patched up system it can be hard to tell if its out of tune or not sometimes

its good enough, i just wish i could keep it as perfect as i dial it in. maybe ill find the sweet spot soon. i notice it needs a nice warm up time and still drifts very slightly over time also

beautiful module though i do really love it
mritenburg
Some challenges with calibration of analog oscillators to take into account:

1. Let your oscillator warm up for at least 20 minutes before attempting calibration

2. Check both + and - rails of your PSU. Make sure they are both outputting +/-12v

3. Consider the ambient temperature of the room in which you keep your modular. If the temperature fluctuates from cold to warm/hot back to cold, it is going to knock your oscillators out of calibration

4. Understand that professional musicians who use modular gear will calibrate their oscillators before every recording session

5. Consider your voltage reference source. If you calibrate your oscillators to a specific cv/gate keyboard or MIDI-CV interface, it is really only calibrated for that voltage source. Your oscillators will usually need to be re-calibrated for the voltage source you use. For instance, if you decide to use a specific quantizer, you should calibrate to that quantizer

6. Melodyne works extremely well with monophonic analog sources and can transparently correct pitch issues related to calibration.
damase
thanks, and very good points, some of which i was not taking into account when i tried.
i didnt want to sound as if this is a ‘huge’ problem for me at all, just an observation in comparison to a very accurate oscillator i have(omega phi needs no adjustment ever). the drift i refer to is within a couple cents... its very acceptable
mritenburg
damase wrote:
thanks, and very good points, some of which i was not taking into account when i tried.
i didnt want to sound as if this is a ‘huge’ problem for me at all, just an observation in comparison to a very accurate oscillator i have(omega phi needs no adjustment ever). the drift i refer to is within a couple cents... its very acceptable

Oh definitely, I wasn’t calling you out, I just saw an opportunity to add to the discussion about calibration as it is often a source of frustration for many (most?) wigglers.
thebends9
advrsry wrote:
Unfortunately neither the Seq Selector nor Control Voltage Processor pop up
often on the second hand market.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=223628
Nutritional Zero
I can’t really handle all the unquantized pitches flying around in the Verbos demos. It makes me wonder whether I’m a really uptight “musician” or whether some engineer has an undiagnosed tin ear. Man that is some brutal listening, as much as I appreciate the lineage and directness of these modules.
The Junglechrist
Hey there ! Here is a new Patch From Scratch with my mostly Verbos system :

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129, 130  Next [all]
Page 128 of 130