MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack on +/- 15v
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Eurorack on +/- 15v
Muff Wiggler
hey, so it turns out, of the three Eurorack modules I have, all of them run just fine on a 15v Blacet supply (I checked with the manufacturers before doing something so stupid)

I'm rocking the Plan B Model 28 at the moment, and LOVING it love

it makes me wonder - i wonder how many Euro modules can work safely and fine on 15v? Only a couple? All of them? All except for a couple?

If the answer was anything except the first one, that's something I see as pretty huge and somewhat transformative to the entire modular scene. For one, Blacet's fantastic power supplies are WAY nicely priced compared to any of the standard Euro power solutions. Additionally,this would make mixing formats a MUCH more attractive proposition if you can just power them all off a single 15v supply. Finally, running Euro modules off a 15v supply removes any concern about a Eurorack module being damaged by the output of a Fracrack module, as being discussed in another thread.

Anyway, just a thought. Throwing it out there. I'm running three Euro modules off of a Blacet supply (which is also powering a pile of Blacet modules) and there's no problems whatsoever. The only picky bit is that you need a converter power cable, but so far I've had no problem getting my hands on three of them. And they don't look all that tough to make.

Something to think about, eh?

ps. I've been in NYC all week and crazy busy week on top of that, craziest in recent memory tbh. lotsa insane shit going down. anyway I owe about 3 PMs to guys and a few thread replies, i'll get 'em out later tonight after the kids are in bed and things finally settle. thx for your patience guys.
consumed
one design difference between euro/serge/modcan and the rest of the world is chassis/faceplate grounding. blacet and motm (others too) do not ground to the chassis. this is why you shouldnt screw euro modules into a wooden case. i dont know how this affects you though, if at all.
GeneralBigBag
consumed wrote:
blacet and motm (others too) do not ground to the chassis. this is why you shouldnt screw euro modules into a wooden case.

How does that affect the Doepfer DIY kits, which have detailed instructions for making a wooden case?
felix
Cool!

I'm not totally surprised that none blew up, but I would be surprised if they all sounded/behaved the same as when they are run @ 12.

Then again, I notice my Dual Cyclotron and the Frequensteiner both have "MOTM" solder pads on one of the PCBs, presumably for power, and the traces don't seem to have dedicated paths through the circuit (ie no different resistor values or additional considerations for the higher power) so maybe they sound just the same.

I know my DIY distortion/fuzz pedal doesn't sound the same on 9.6v (PSU) as it did on battery (~7.9v).
sandyb
GeneralBigBag wrote:
consumed wrote:
blacet and motm (others too) do not ground to the chassis. this is why you shouldnt screw euro modules into a wooden case.

How does that affect the Doepfer DIY kits, which have detailed instructions for making a wooden case?

the doepfer kits use metal rails although the rest of the case can be made of wood. there's a ground tab on the power supply that you can (should) connect to the rails. this is what i have done and it seems to work fine - i've had no grounding issues that i'm aware of.
futuresoundsystems
As long as you regulate the 15V supply down to 12V (and the module doesn't consume over 100mA of current), you can run any 12V module off 15V by regulating the power input with these.
flts
The Plan B VCO seems to be one of the only / few modules that actually has operation problems if the rails aren't grounded. I don't know how many others have a design that relies on that aspect. Electrical safety is a different thing altogether.

As for voltage, I guess that most the modules that don't have ICs that are specced for lower voltage, will work directly at +-15V. Doepfer specifically warns that their CEM and/or SSM stuff may very well break down if used with higher voltages than +-12, and most of the other modules may actually work somehow.

Another question altogether is the whole calibration / sound issue - since the voltages going around aren't what they are originally expected to be, some modules will sound different, some will need recalibration and some can work a bit weirdly. With some there will most probably be no real difference. Depends on the design.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1