MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Getting an external pulse into the Easel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Getting an external pulse into the Easel?
vegas7188
Hi guys,

Was just thinking about how you would bring in an external pulse into the new Easels? I have a CVGT for converting euro triggers to Buchla pulse, is there any way of getting this pulse into the easel e.g to trigger the sequencer, pulser or envelope other than by plugging it in the pulse input at the bottom left (where you would normally plug the pulse out from the keyboard).

I had an idea i could pulse the sequencer, for example, with a euro clock, and simultaneously play the easel keyboard and still use its pulse out to trigger the envelope. But i would, i think, need another place to input these two different pulses.

Could this be done perhaps via one of the "to prog" inputs.

for example: Euro trigger (converted to Buchla pulse by CVGT1) to "to prog" and then using the program cards route the "to prog" to trigger the envelope. I guess its this last bit that i wonder about? is this possible?

Small pic below of possible program card wire (assuming on Easel you have the external pulse going in the Inverter's "to. prog"):

vgermuse
here's the banana cable solution:

I'll look at the program card later :-)
best, Todd
fungitec
As far as I can understand Todd, your suggested cable method will not work since VEGAS wants to play on the keyboard (with one vco) ontop of a sequenced line (the other vco) clocked from an external source. With your method he will interupt the clocking by pressing down on keyboard. This is the case if your picture means that the external pulse is coming in stacked to the banana going out from keyboard. If you instead mean that the pulse is coming from an external source and not via the pulse output from the keyboard...? Then it will make a totally different patch triggering just the envelope via external pulse.

The program-card solution seems to be the only way I could see work? Could work... Can someone confirm?

Please direct us Todd or anyone cos this question is what have made me havvin headace too... I'm about to order an easel but this external clocking must first be solved in my head aswell.

You could ofcourse clock the seq via an external clock exactly as Todd showed here, just playing one of the vcos. And then route the pitch cv from the keyboard JUST to the other vco, triggered from the same envelope. It could then be posible to play harmonies ontop of a seqenced line with external sync. However it will all share the same envelope and therefor not a separate voice.

Could MIDI Beat clock to arp, seq or pulser be another solution via the Midiport?

I have been asking this same question regarding external clocking to alot of people here in sweden. Not a single one can give me a straight answer that I can understand. Some say It's the easiest thing int the world. Just plug your banana into the pulse in and be happy. But it will not work to do it like that if you want to do exactly what me and Vegas is refering to...

Damn I dont understand.

Please help us someone to get this straight. Plz.

/thure in Sweden
vgermuse
fungitec wrote:
As far as I can understand Todd, your suggested cable method will not work since VEGAS wants to play on the keyboard (with one vco) ontop of a sequenced line (the other vco) clocked from an external source. With your method he will interupt the clocking by pressing down on keyboard. This is the case if your picture means that the external pulse is coming in stacked to the banana going out from keyboard. If you instead mean that the pulse is coming from an external source and not via the pulse output from the keyboard...? Then it will make a totally different patch triggering just the envelope via external pulse.

Fingitec, thanks for the clarification. I get it. I'm pretty slammed just now but in between the cracks I'll try and explore and research a solution.
Best, todd
Kevin VC
If you short the lower K point on the sequencer to anything on the OFFSET row, it will advance the sequencer. The envelope can be triggered in the same way.

I don't have any kind of voltage controlled switch to test, but it seems like you could just wire a doepfer a-150 or similar to both the sequencer and the envelope and have a easel trigger interface.

edit: not exactly sure why this works, but you can try with your fingers or a wire and get the idea.
Kevin VC
By the way, here's what I was doing.

klontart
Another good example of use for the discussed Easel expansion box.
fungitec
To have a shorting switch could be good to some of us. Surely a method to advance the seq steps. I dont know if its good for the circuit or not. What I do know is that it was designed to trig at a voltage pulse wich this is not.

If only the trigger select switch had another option, "external" with an separate bananajack or 3,5mm jack somewhere on the panel with the label "external". Life would be easier... You cant have it all i guess.
vgermuse
Here's a possible (though quick and funky) solution:

See this in action here:

And the Easel patch:

Note that "keyboard" is "off" on the Mod Osc since it is the source for the sequence audio. "Keyboard" is "on" on the Complex Osc
which means you can play an independent monophonic line over the top.

best wishes,
Todd
vegas7188
Wow great that is a cool solution! looking forward to exploring the possibilities of the card via things like this. Thanks so much Todd!
fungitec
Yeeaahh... This is the way to do it!!! Woohoo, you made my day Todd! It's solved whitin the programcard. I'm happy. I will solder a convinient and solid looking jack to that solderpoints at the card as soon as my easel arrives. Could of course also be done with a nice breakoutbox from the card.

Havent even ordered it yet, cos things likes this made me worries. But now at least that issue is solved in my head. Perfect. I guess now the only thing is to collect the money. I'm soon there.
kosh
Very cool Todd. I wonder if you could achieve the same result by patching an external pulse to the "TO CARD" input (in lieu of putting a banana jack on the card) and then make the appropriate connection to the pulser or sequencer. Would that work? I'm not sure what resistors would be required or do you just make a direct connection.
plug
Thanks Todd, this is working like a charm.

Now, does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the sequencer and send an external pulse and pitch ?

I want to use a sequencer to sequence one oscillator while I play with the other on the easel.

I've been poking around without any success.

Cheers, plug.
solaris
plug wrote:

Now, does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the sequencer and send an external pulse and pitch ?

I want to use a sequencer to sequence one oscillator while I play with the other on the easel.

you can send an ext CV into the pitch jack of the VCO you want to control.

if you are not using the kbd for the 2nd VCO, you could also send that ext CV
into the "voltage" jack on bottom left ("signals from keyboard") and engage
the "keyboard" switch of the VCO.
vgermuse
plug wrote:
Thanks Todd, this is working like a charm.

I've been poking around without any success.

Cheers, plug.

If I understand you correctly just send the external sequencer to the Pulser (like shown before) and have the Pulser yellow CV in to Level 2 on the LPG. Then send the external sequencer CV (you'll have to convert to Buchla 1.2v/oct to the Mod Osc in "hi" range and turn its "keyboard" switch off.
Turn EG to keyboard...Complex Osc to keyboard and CV orange to Level 1 and jam over the external sequence with the Complex Osc.
cheers!
plug
Awesome guys, thank you for help!

solaris wrote:
you can send an ext CV into the pitch jack of the VCO you want to control.

if you are not using the kbd for the 2nd VCO, you could also send that ext CV
into the "voltage" jack on bottom left ("signals from keyboard") and engage
the "keyboard" switch of the VCO.

I made a video (post coming soon) were I sent an external pulse to the sequencer and pitch to the complex osc. I also used the external pulse to trigger the complex osc. That way they are in sync playing different melodies.

vgermuse wrote:

If I understand you correctly just send the external sequencer to the Pulser (like shown before) and have the Pulser yellow CV in to Level 2 on the LPG. Then send the external sequencer CV (you'll have to convert to Buchla 1.2v/oct to the Mod Osc in "hi" range and turn its "keyboard" switch off.
Turn EG to keyboard...Complex Osc to keyboard and CV orange to Level 1 and jam over the external sequence with the Complex Osc.
cheers!

Thank you for the detail explanation. I will try the suggestions tonight.

The program card without a doubt makes the Easel way better!

Cheers
mayanspring
would it be too dangerous to wire a 1/8th jack to the card for a euro pulse input? ... considering that the easel already be grounded to the euro system already...
mayanspring
so, putting a mini jack there... I can get a trigger from a euro LFO, but when I try something like the EOC on a quadra, it freezes up the quadra. I am assuming this is because I have no grounding wire attached to the mini jack.

where on the program card could you attach a ground?
gddfp
mayanspring wrote:
so, putting a mini jack there... I can get a trigger from a euro LFO, but when I try something like the EOC on a quadra, it freezes up the quadra. I am assuming this is because I have no grounding wire attached to the mini jack.

where on the program card could you attach a ground?

2nd tab on the left, both front & back.
Be careful not to short it to the adjacent tabs; those hold -/+15V & 5V (back).
_lex
curious if anyone has figured out a routing/card patch for this option?

kosh wrote:
Very cool Todd. I wonder if you could achieve the same result by patching an external pulse to the "TO CARD" input (in lieu of putting a banana jack on the card) and then make the appropriate connection to the pulser or sequencer. Would that work? I'm not sure what resistors would be required or do you just make a direct connection.
vgermuse
_lex wrote:
curious if anyone has figured out a routing/card patch for this option?

kosh wrote:

This works using TO CARD from an external source with the Pulaer switches set to Keyboard and Triggered respectively and a 120K resistor:

Guinness ftw! w00t
_lex
thanks todd!
vgermuse
_lex wrote:
thanks todd!

Hey Lex,

Cool. My pleasure. Happy exploring w00t
Duplan
Thanks everyone for this great thread !

Does anyone know which kind of output from my Serge I can use to get into the pulse (bottom left) of the 208 (or into a banana jack soldered to the card as Todd explained) ?

Cheers
vgermuse
Duplan wrote:
Thanks everyone for this great thread !

Does anyone know which kind of output from my Serge I can use to get into the pulse (bottom left) of the 208 (or into a banana jack soldered to the card as Todd explained) ?

Cheers

I just tried the Square Wave output of my Serge DTG to the Pulse In bottom left of the Easel. Works great, just be sure that your Pulser slider it in the upper most position between .025-.002 for starters, this slider will act as a quasi "decay" setting so if it is set low (1-10) it will give the impression of "no pulse" depending on the speed of the DTG.
Hope this helps. w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2