MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Macro Machines Storage Strip: Shipping Now
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Macro Machines Storage Strip: Shipping Now
bendedavis

You can now purchase the Storage Strip on our site @ http://www.macromachines.net
Richard Devine
So rad, total game changer module!
digidandy
This may be the wrong place to ask, but won't Frames from Mutable be able to do something similar? And it will be compatible with a "any" module accepting CV?
bendedavis
This is just the first in a line of modules from Macro Machines. Our next modules will be chained to create as many channels as you need all controlled by the Storage Strip. As far as I know the Frames can't do any routing, only attenuation of signals to the respective outputs. With the Storage Strip you can control multiple WMD SSM's to route multiple signals all at once. Can the Frames be chained in any way?
dude
if there is no faceplate, aren't those leds in serious danger of getting bent and potentially causing shorts?
bendedavis
This is just a prototype. There was a small issue with this batch of PCBs that made it so the buttons I intended to put on it wouldn't fit. So I put in some small buttons I had laying around just to get the code written and tested. The new boards will be in by the end of the month and we will post an update once we have those built. We are in the process of getting faceplates made now. I'll post a render of the panel layout soon.
dude
ah good. the no faceplate craze is a really bad one imo. excited to see what the final product will show itself to look like. very cool idea regardless.
bendedavis
Updated original post with faceplate design
DonKartofflo
very nice!
ether
So no Mungo zoom switch on this now right, or did I miss something?
bendedavis
ether wrote:
So no Mungo zoom switch on this now right, or did I miss something?

The +/- on the panel are for Mungo zoom in and out
ether
Cool. Thanks. Will send later today.

I'm just catching up on these threads. Am I right in understanding there's other planned modules that will all work together using similar techniques?
bendedavis
ether wrote:
Cool. Thanks. Will send later today.

I'm just catching up on these threads. Am I right in understanding there's other planned modules that will all work together using similar techniques?

Yep, all of our upcoming modules will work with the Storage Strip. We should have a prototype of our next module very soon and it should ship shortly after the Storage Strip. It basically allows for voltage output to any of your existing modules and you will be able to chain multiple units.
ether
Nice. Thx for the update.
bendedavis
Currently working on making sure these are compatible with the Make Noise CTRLSEL series. Should have a completed module to show you guys by this weekend.
will8575
That looks very cool.
bendedavis
Here is the module with an acrylic faceplate

Still waiting on a few parts to build up this version and then I'll do a demo to show all the features this weekend.
bendedavis
New video uploaded going over the features of the Storage Strip.
bendedavis
I just added a 16 step sequence mode. Sequencing modes are recalled to their previous state on power up. Will post more video soon.
bendedavis
Storage Strip is now on Modulargrid

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-macro-machines-storage-stri p

PCBs for the first production run are being ordered this weekend as well as the faceplates.
bendedavis
A few units will ship this week. The next batch of PCBs should be here in a few weeks to get the rest of the pre-orders shipped.
ether
DELETED - answered my own question by reading this thread properly.
bendedavis
The acrylic plates are just for the beta version. We are still waiting on the aluminum faceplates to arrive and they will look like the ones on the Modulargrid picture.

We are also working on our website right now to allow you to order from there and we'll be putting up a manual soon.
bendedavis
The website is up now @ http://www.macromachines.net and the Storage Strip can be preordered there. We have most of the units built and they will ship out as soon as faceplates arrive.
bendedavis
Firmware update going out to beta testers this week. If all is well, units should ship by the end of the month. Faceplates should arrive this week.
Dstone
I can't wait!!
bendedavis
Faceplates are here smile

We're doing a bit more testing and should start shipping next week

https://www.facebook.com/MacroMachinesModular/photos/a.650102135029675 .1073741829.644086908964531/725642274142327/?type=1&stream_ref=10
gotascii
bendedavis wrote:
Faceplates are here smile

We're doing a bit more testing and should start shipping next week

https://www.facebook.com/MacroMachinesModular/photos/a.650102135029675 .1073741829.644086908964531/725642274142327/?type=1&stream_ref=10

hyper
bendedavis
First batch ship out on Saturday. The rest of them should be shipped next week.

Thanks to everyone who preordered for you patience. We'll be including a coupon for our upcoming modules along with every Storage Strip. We've got alot of cool stuff in the works which we will announce very soon.
bendedavis
All modules shipped. Send me a PM if you didn't receive a tracking #.
bendedavis
All preorders should be arriving today for US customers. You can download the manual here - http://macromachines.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/StorageStripManual _v1.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions
Noha
are there any of these left in stock? are any getting shipped to stores like CONTROL?
ether
So I finally ordered and received mine, and, after some head scratching, saw this line on the website:

"Only Mungo modules without the MIDI add-on installed are compatible with the Storage Strip"

Damn. I'm 99% sure my g0 has the MIDI add-on.

It's probably a question for John, but is that a software feature that can be removed from the g0 by reprogramming or what?
dinesh23
uurggh! Thats whats going on!! very frustrating

It works with one of my g0s and not the other (with the midi add on I suppose)
I thought it was a bus board issue and was waiting for a 5v adapter for my other power supply to test them together

... glad you pointed this out ether

lets hope dr John can help
ether
I'll shoot him an email tomorrow on it.

I've got other questions as I've got a g0, d0 and p0 all chained together and none of them respond. Maybe the MIDI enabled g0 is "eating" all the bus signals???

Zoom buttons work OK btw.

Will report back here with findings.
dinesh23
... same here it's not passing it down the chain to my w0, d0 or p0 either.

In an attempt not to side track my music making completely! I haven't swapped each module around to test them individually with the storage strip.

... I thought the zoom was working too at first, but in retrospect I don't think it was, as it always stayed within audible range - unlike with the regular zoom and the macro strip when used on the midi free g0. hmmm.....
dinesh23
Aside from this hurdle with the midi mod on some modules.

I just wanted to add that the storage strip works great and definitely brings a whole new dimension to patching.

... really looking forward to trying some preset beat boxing with the p0
ether
Just took my g0 out and now my p0 responds w00t

Very cool.
bendedavis
ether wrote:
I'll shoot him an email tomorrow on it.

I've got other questions as I've got a g0, d0 and p0 all chained together and none of them respond. Maybe the MIDI enabled g0 is "eating" all the bus signals???

Zoom buttons work OK btw.

Will report back here with findings.

Yes, we found out that any Mungo modules with the MIDI board added onto the back will take over the CV bus so that only signals passed in from a MIDI jack (from the MIDI zoom panel) will affect any connected modules. Unfortunately that board will need to be desoldered to work with the Storage Strip.
digidandy
Question: already have a g0, and a d0 is on the way - so thinking about buying the storage strip.

--- if I connect both the g0 and d0 to the storage strip, will it automatically store settings for BOTH the g0 and d0 no matter what? In other words, do I *have* to store settings for both units? What if I want to exclude one module from the storage strip setup?

--- if I store some presets for, say, the g0, what happens if I run a CV into depth or width modulation? Can I modulate these parameters "externally" (through the front), while at the same time switching between presets from the storage strip?
bendedavis
All modules on the same busboard will receive storage/recall messages from the Storage Strip. The only way to separate them is to put them on different rows.
meatbeatz
I guess you could snip the CV/Gate wires on the ribbon cable for modules you don't want linked, or make a 10 wire cable? Looking forward to pairing this with my G0.
ether
Doepfer bus boards have some jumpers that can help with this. See the end of this page:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

BTW, John @ Mungo says its tricky but possible to desolder the g0 MIDI adapter to prevent it intercepting the Storage Strip signals. I have more questions before I do this though.
digidandy
Ok, so split control seems a bit hard, but how about sending CV signals to depth and width modulation, for example? While presets are being used from the storage strip?
bendedavis
digidandy wrote:
Ok, so split control seems a bit hard, but how about sending CV signals to depth and width modulation, for example? While presets are being used from the storage strip?

Values are saved and recalled for all knob positions including CV amount so if a preset has a different CV setting then modulation will be affected.
ether
Because I didn't want to fry my g0 with my lame desoldering skills, I shipped it back to John who kindly desoldered the MIDI board for me, AND tweaked the Storage Strip a bit as well, so it can drive my three chained modules (g0, d0, p0), AND he updated the DAC on the g0... all for nix.

thumbs up thumbs up

(Read back through this thread for background.)

If you have a Mungo module, get a Storage Strip immediately. Totally killer combo.
f33d
hi there,

I have finally a g0 and a storage strip and burning to use them properly.
I was wondering:
the zoom stettings go through the one pin zoom wire - correct?
& the storage-data goes through the bus board? I mean that sounds odd. I don't have to connect nothing from strip to g0? really? it just works like that through the board?
I was planning on getting a sequential switch matrix, but I don't want it to get influenced by the strip, because that sounds more like a loss of control...
I have just a monorocket with a make noise bus board (originally it was a shared system) - does that mean that the strip will control the switch matrix no matter where I place it & if I want it or not or?

thanks
ether
Yep - zoom goes through the 1 pin wire, and everything else goes through the CV bus.

Not sure how the make noise bus board is setup, but if the g0 and the SS are connected by the same CV line on the bus you'll be golden. Just make sure there aren't any other modules using the CV line or you'll get "unpredictable results" wink
gotascii
I have an SSM, d0, g0, storage strip, and MN power board and it works as I expect, meaning that presets on the d0 and g0 are stored and recalled predictably. However, I too have been a little curious as to why my SSM doesn't seem to be affected by saving and recalling presets. Maybe it _is_ and I just haven't noticed seriously, i just don't get it Has anyone else used the strip to control their SSM?
bendedavis
gotascii wrote:
I have an SSM, d0, g0, storage strip, and MN power board and it works as I expect, meaning that presets on the d0 and g0 are stored and recalled predictably. However, I too have been a little curious as to why my SSM doesn't seem to be affected by saving and recalling presets. Maybe it _is_ and I just haven't noticed seriously, i just don't get it Has anyone else used the strip to control their SSM?

WMD only made the SSM to pick up on the recall command from the Storage Strip. Saves can only be done locally with it.
f33d
ok to be 100% - I can't test it cause I haven't bought the SSM yet
so If I place a Storage Strip somewhere on my Make noise power bus & also a SSM somewhere on this power bus the SSM will pick up all the setting-changes which are meant for the g0 no matter if I want it or not?
pardon me, but this kinda sucks heavy. I have to think about it more but it ruins the SSM for me...
well or the storage strip, damn...
Dead Banana
bendedavis
The SSM has to be put into a certain mode to pick up on messages from the Storage Strip
f33d
epic, thanks!

I know it should be found on the respective modules' manuals, but would be cool if in the storage strip one could find on the first page some clear, important statements:

- really no cable at all needed to transfer storage data to g0, etc.
- just connect the zoom for mungo-0d-modules
- doesn't work if a mungo 0-module has a midi add-on
- SSM has to be in a certain mode otherwise just doesn't react to strips calls

maybe I missed important things.
I'm not trying to bitch around ben - love your work - love the storage strip - having fun with it right now at this very moment!
nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! It's motherfucking bacon yo
bendedavis
We will be updating this page for all current info on supported modules - http://macromachines.net/products/storage-strip/compatibility/

I can update the manual too to make it a bit more clear
rhp3000
Hi,

Maybe it is something obvious (like a midi connector on the module) or not (a hidden circuit) so i have to ask: How do i know if my g0 has the middi add-on?

Thanks in advance
Saludos
bendedavis
rhp3000 wrote:
Hi,

Maybe it is something obvious (like a midi connector on the module) or not (a hidden circuit) so i have to ask: How do i know if my g0 has the middi add-on?

Thanks in advance
Saludos

It's a board physically attached to the back of the module. You would have had to request it when ordering.
f33d
midi module:

[/img]
rhp3000
Thanks for the info bendedavis, do you mean a "special" board attached to the main one, my module only has a main board (vertically attached) and a little one (horizontally attached) between the main board and the faceplate (where the card reader is placed). Anyway I got my g0 from Analogue Haven so i doubt the modules that Shawn sells have the midi add-on.

Saludos
rhp3000
Jaaaaa, i was writing my post while the answer was already there... thanks f33d... so my module does not have it w00t
listentoaheartbeat
Hi Ben, if I don't have CV and Gate busses in my system, I can just make a cable that connects the CV bus pins of the Storage Strip's power connecter with the corresponding pins on my single Mungo module, correct?
bentoncbainbridge
hi, I saw on Facebook that Macro Machines are planning a Storage Strip booster. I loved the Storage Strip when I had just a couple Mungo modules, but now that I have 7 in my case it won't save/recall the knob settings, nor does the SS Zoom properly function when controlling so many Mungo modules.

Any updates on the Storage Strip booster? Short of buying multiple Storage Strips, is there another option to record the knob settings for all my Mungo modules?
echoplex
is it normal that even with the storage strip the mungo d0 forgets all its setting when turned off?
even if I save the setting before turning of.. hmmm.....
vanderLooy
Any news on the Storage Strip booster?

I have an issue with the a Mungo d0 and Storage Strip combination. My Storage Strip doesn’t work when I have my d0 connected to the same busboard. I even can’t save/recall Dynamic Destiny settings. It works with when I have my Mungo g0 is connected. Does some of you guys maybe have an idea what could be the cause of it? I use a makenoise busboard. I think the d0 is faulty, but maybe I do something wrong?!
GNE
Quote:
Any news on the Storage Strip booster?

I have an issue with the a Mungo d0 and Storage Strip combination. My Storage Strip doesn’t work when I have my d0 connected to the same busboard. I even can’t save/recall Dynamic Destiny settings. It works with when I have my Mungo g0 is connected. Does some of you guys maybe have an idea what could be the cause of it? I use a makenoise busboard. I think the d0 is faulty, but maybe I do something wrong?!

How many Mungo modules are you connecting to the storage strip?
The most I can connect without issue are 3 at a time.
Are you using a Wire Jumper Cable [ 1P-1P 2.54mm female to female ] to connect the modules?
evs
echoplex wrote:
is it normal that even with the storage strip the mungo d0 forgets all its setting when turned off?
even if I save the setting before turning of.. hmmm.....

well, did you recall it after turning everything on?
the storage strip is not sending anything to the module before you push the button:-)
vanderLooy
GNE wrote:

Are you using a Wire Jumper Cable [ 1P-1P 2.54mm female to female ] to connect the modules?

I only connect the d0 and dynamic destiny. Even without dynamic destiny it's not working anymore. The storage strip is not directly connected to the d0. Both are only connected to the busboard with the ribbon cable 16p on both sides. For save/recall we don't need the zoom connected if I'm right?!

When the g0 and storage strip is connected to busboard, when I hit save button the led's on storage strip blink. When I do the same with d0 and storage strip only connected... the leds on storage strips don't blink when I hit save button.
GNE
from the storage strip manual

"There are 2 male header pins labeled zoom, to allow compatibility with Mungo
Enterprises 0 line of eurorack modules, use the provided female jumper cable to
connect up to 2 Mungo modules directly to the Storage Strip. To chain additional
Mungo 0 modules, connect a female jumper cable to the zoom chaining pin on the
back of any directly connected Mungo 0 module."
vanderLooy
Thanks for the explanation... but I think that's only needed for the zoom function. Without the zoom female jumper cable the g0 save/recall work, but on the d0 it doesn't work. I'll make a video to illustrate.
vanderLooy
The video to explain better what happends:

Didn't show that it doesn't work on the module itself, but this show better it doesn't work.
Mungo
vanderLooy wrote:
GNE wrote:

I only connect the d0 and dynamic destiny. Even without dynamic destiny it's not working anymore. The storage strip is not directly connected to the d0. Both are only connected to the busboard with the ribbon cable 16p on both sides. For save/recall we don't need the zoom connected if I'm right?!

When the g0 and storage strip is connected to busboard, when I hit save button the led's on storage strip blink. When I do the same with d0 and storage strip only connected... the leds on storage strips don't blink when I hit save button.
Not sure about the LEDs not blinking, but check the power cable with the d0 to see if it has the midi disabled (a small cut on the ribbon cable opposite the red stripe)
vanderLooy
Mungo wrote:
Not sure about the LEDs not blinking, but check the power cable with the d0 to see if it has the midi disabled (a small cut on the ribbon cable opposite the red stripe)

Hi John, thanks for your reply. It seems that when I connect the d0 the whole save/recall blocks. Can't save/recall other modules anymore then. I used the same cable on the g0 and then it worked, so the cable shouldn't be the issue, but will try another cable just to be sure. I can also send you an email if you prefer, don't want to derail this Storage Strip thread with my problem smile Please let me know, I have your contact details, we talked before a couple of times via the email about other modules.
FatRocky
Hi all

I just saw the Macro Machine web and i see that the Storage Strip is available for order.

Is that correct? ,, Are they shipping them immediately?

Thanks

thumbs up
ignatius
FatRocky wrote:
Hi all

I just saw the Macro Machine web and i see that the Storage Strip is available for order.

Thanks

thumbs up

FatRocky
FatRocky wrote:
Hi all

Thanks

thumbs up

correction! , it wasn´ at the manufacturer´s web where i saw it , it was in a store website
GNE
Talk about the promised storage strip booster / add on started on Aug 10, 2015.
[ The add on makes it so that you could use more than three Mungo Modules. This limit was never mentioned in the manual or the website ]

Several owners have emailed and were promised that it would be produced.

Will this booster ever become a reality?
listentoaheartbeat
My Storage Strip went up in flames. Not sure what happened, might have produced a short in my case. Swapped the burnt regulator but that didn’t fix it.

So I desperately need a new one. Does anyone know what’s up? If Macro Machines won’t make them any more, maybe someone else should come up with a similar module. I think it’s fairly straightforward.
Southfork
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
My Storage Strip went up in flames. Not sure what happened, might have produced a short in my case. Swapped the burnt regulator but that didn’t fix it.

So I desperately need a new one. Does anyone know what’s up? If Macro Machines won’t make them any more, maybe someone else should come up with a similar module. I think it’s fairly straightforward.

If you're really desperate. Varigate 8+ and varigate 4+ Will save and recall select bus presets.
jameswalk
Wish they’d go back into production. I’d gladly buy one.
listentoaheartbeat
Southfork wrote:

If you're really desperate. Varigate 8+ and varigate 4+ Will save and recall select bus presets.

Thanks, needs to be 4 hp though. Also the integrated zoom switch is handy, I much prefer the momentary buttons over the regular toggle switch.
Southfork
There is a document online with the select bus spec. I’m not sure if I have it anymore it’s done via midi so actually wouldn’t be that hard to make a version of it, saying that the protocol never really took off with little to no interest, so I’m guessing your out of luck unless you want to make one yourself, good luck!
listentoaheartbeat
Southfork wrote:
There is a document online with the select bus spec. I’m not sure if I have it anymore it’s done via midi so actually wouldn’t be that hard to make a version of it, saying that the protocol never really took off with little to no interest, so I’m guessing your out of luck unless you want to make one yourself, good luck!

Yeah, this sums up the situation. However, I think you could easily sell 200 modules with this functionality, maybe more. It makes any Mungo module much more controllable and there are a number of compatible modules including the Disting.

The module is super simple, it's essentially just an ATmega328P. If I had the code, I could probably fix mine easily by replacing the chip. Will try to read it out later on and see where that takes me.
gotascii
Just wanted to bump this thread with something I came across in Superbooth 2018 coverage: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/selectbusbreakout.html It looks like Expert Sleepers is releasing a 4hp MIDI-based preset controller that uses the Storage Strip protocol. No Mungo zoom, but still looks hella useful.
Southfork
Excellent news, about time someone else did something with the select bus nanners
Dogma
Yeah there's quite a few modules using the select bus - all the new malekko modules that have a preset/save function....expert sleepers, mungo, macro ....maybe make noise too - I may have that one wrong....

I'd LOVE the harvestman mkiii modules to adopt it..
Southfork
Ok so I found this select bus document while rummaging through some old docs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YhPvAI6oliwLYSHhDholdAUym-TfBDGlxS T-zDCP-qw/edit?usp=sharing

Seeing the storage strips are as good as out of production now. It could be useful if someone fancies cramming so midi cc information on an AVR or something.
Chartreuse-J
Dogma wrote:
Yeah there's quite a few modules using the select bus - all the new malekko modules that have a preset/save function....expert sleepers, mungo, macro ....maybe make noise too - I may have that one wrong....

I'd LOVE the harvestman mkiii modules to adopt it..

You can switch and save states on the Tempi with MM SS.

From the Tempi Make Noise Manual

Quote:

"The Select Bus and Tempo Bus utilize the often-inactive CV and GATE Busses in the Eurorack system in order to allow remote (i.e.
patch-less) control of State Selection and Tempo for TEMPI and other modules designed with this standard in mind. Any number
of TEMPI on the same Bus Board can be controlled simultaneously by these signals, simplifying the process of macro-control over
complex changes in a patch."

"It is worth noting, TEMPI only receives messages over the Select/Tempo Busses. It does not transmit. To engage Bus Control,
enter the Bank Edit page and press Button-3. When the Select and Tempo Busses are enabled, the Tempo LED will ash Green
instead of Blue. Now, the TEMPI will be controllable by Clock and State Select signals coming through these Busses.
"
Paranormal Patroler

Ouch! That's good to know as I am looking for one. Not anymore.
listentoaheartbeat
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Ouch! That's good to know as I am looking for one. Not anymore.

My post was not clear. I might have caused a short in my case, not the Storage Strip.

I have been able to fix it in the meantime, it was just the regulator after all. What do you want to use it for?
Paranormal Patroler
I want to see how useful it is with an Omnimod. It doesn't seem to be able to use all 64 (?) presets, so I'm considering other options. The Malekko modules are overkill if you just want to access save/load functions.

Similarly the ES is just MIDI input. I'd have to have an external programmer for this. Can the Disting work as a controller?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4