Another new Modcan module

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

sandyb

Another new Modcan module

Post by sandyb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:23 pm

This sneaked up on Modcan's site. I haven't seen mention of it anywhere yet.

sandy

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/matrixfilter.html

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:34 pm

Ooh, interesting! Are there any audio demos?
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:40 pm

as in matrix12?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:43 pm

it would appear so. here's some of the stuff from the site. no demos up there yet but looks like there will be some as there's an empty "demos" section at the moment.

"The 68B Matrix filter is based on the filters of the Matrix 12 and Expander synths of the 80's. While not a direct clone this design uses modern components in place of the CEM custom ICs used in the original. The filter responses and sound are faithful to the classic design. The 16 filters are divided into two banks with selection from the front panel via BANK toggle switch. Each of the 8 filters in a bank is provided with a separate output for external mixing and cross fading down-line.

Module Highlights:

16 Filter responses
Separate out for each bank of 8 filters
2 x CV and 1V/OCT control of frequency
16Hz-20kHz range
CV Resonance
very low distortion and noise design
excellent temperature stability and tracking
Self Oscillation in Bank L filters."

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 pm

since stuff seems to come out in system B first these days, I wonder if the B series is outselling the A series?

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Must admit I'm not familiar enough with the "Matrix 12 and Expander synths of the 80's" to have any idea how cool this is. :hmm:

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:56 pm

indexofmetals wrote:since stuff seems to come out in system B first these days, I wonder if the B series is outselling the A series?
Bruce said something to this effect on the Modcan Yahoo group not too long ago. :( I hope all these new modules make it to A Series!

Here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mo ... ssage/2277

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:00 pm

BananaPlug wrote:Must admit I'm not familiar enough with the "Matrix 12 and Expander synths of the 80's" to have any idea how cool this is. :hmm:
Well they're pretty wonderful, but I think of them in terms of the polyphonic goodness and their A++ modulation routing.

So a filter on its own does seem a bit odd. But I'm certainly willing to withhold judgement until I actually hear it!

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:16 pm

BananaPlug wrote:Must admit I'm not familiar enough with the "Matrix 12 and Expander synths of the 80's" to have any idea how cool this is. :hmm:
i'm in complete ignorance as to how it should sound. i'm sure the demos will help when they're posted.

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:01 pm

it looks beautiful. can't wait for sounds. are all those outs simultaneous? that's like bruces 16409611th filter. well who am i to question

:sb:

i think we as a muffs community are lacking a modcan emoticon?

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:27 pm

indexofmetals wrote:since stuff seems to come out in system B first these days, I wonder if the B series is outselling the A series?
i recently ordered some modules and asked Bruce about this and he said he has a good stock of panels for A series in the existing modules and hasn't needed to do an A series panel run. apparently the A series panels are a hassle to get done and he needs to place an order for a significant amount of them in order for it to be economical.

basically, he said he will get some panels done in the new year but not exactly sure when. he was apologetic and didn't want me to think he was neglecting the A series (and he reassured me that A series will always be there) but the B series is keeping him really busy these days. The new A series modules will happen but not sure when.

so, A series owners.. buy some modules! :mrgreen: :banana:

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 pm

dude wrote: i think we as a muffs community are lacking a modcan emoticon?
ditto

:tu: :banana:

xpander
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xpander » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:42 pm

that is a purely rad module. the filters (cem3372 iirc) in the Xpander/M12 are really dynamic, very underrated.

haricots
Droppin' Loads

Post by haricots » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 pm

me happy! so now I need a grand just to buy the two new Modcan filters. :hmm:

drewtoothpaste

Post by drewtoothpaste » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:02 pm

This looks awesome, the xpander filters are great. I had an xpander for a while but didn't really have the room for it, so I sold it... maybe I should get six of these?

AnalogAssailant
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogAssailant » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Wow! great news, i definately want to check this one out.

AnalogAssailant
Common Wiggler

Post by AnalogAssailant » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:12 pm

Hmm..browsing the modcan site just now i see the A series is 5 modules behind B (6 if you count the FUN but it's not in with the B yet either).

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 pm

indexofmetals wrote:so, A series owners.. buy some modules! :mrgreen: :banana:
I have A series gear and had a similar A/B conversation with Bruce recently. I can't speak for the others but I've been holding off until I get rough idea of when the new modules will appear. Not a date so much as a quarter. I'd like to have disposable income ready for disposal when that day arrives. Meanwhile we just have to wait, which might actually be a good thing.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
indexofmetals wrote:so, A series owners.. buy some modules! :mrgreen: :banana:
I have A series gear and had a similar A/B conversation with Bruce recently. I can't speak for the others but I've been holding off until I get rough idea of when the new modules will appear. Not a date so much as a quarter. I'd like to have disposable income ready for disposal when that day arrives. Meanwhile we just have to wait, which might actually be a good thing.
he told me that he has a really big order he's working on along w/the usual smaller orders. only so much time in the day.

for the current crop of modules he has all the panels in stock and still subject to the regular delivery times. i base that on the order i just placed w/him last week and his estimated delivery time. :banana:

i think the A series will catch up before too long and i think you're right... A series users are waiting for him say when he expects to be able to offer them before they send in their money. if things go well i imagine i'll jump the gun on that though and commit early and just wait patiently. :mrgreen:

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

Post by sunsinger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:55 pm

indexofmetals wrote:as in matrix12?
As in "The red pill or the blue pill"

Love those Modcan's

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:41 pm

I think I figured out which filter to get now :hihi:

Return to “5U Format Modules”