MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Theremini
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Moog Theremini
blt

Some info HERE.

Autotune and pitch/cv out have me interested. Not so sure about the stretched out George Foreman Grill with a car radio attached aesthetic.
grillo
Yeaah, some of the uglier designed products at namm this year. this, roland aira, triggerfinger pro... not really feeling the aesthetic.
digitalganesha
I love this. Looks like total Atomic Age futuristic design.
Jason Brock
I like the aesthetic. Looks like Eero Saarinen.
beyourdog
digitalganesha wrote:
I love this. Looks like total Atomic Age futuristic design.

Agree, wonderful retro SCI-FI design to me...
moogboy
This thing's got a total Star Trek Enterprise meets dildo suppository vibe going on.

I like it.
fireclown
reminds me of some of those early Minimoog design concepts.
totally cool!
de_raaf
looks nice, i guess this a full digital one nice price too
Henfield
Call me thick- headed, but does it do much good to just have a CV out to control pitch, but no gate to fire EGs or LFOs? Didn't EHX do the same thing with their 8 step sequencer that came out last year as well?
BadBadger
fireclown wrote:
reminds me of some of those early Minimoog design concepts.
totally cool!

I agree. You must be an old fart, too! lol
BadBadger
de_raaf wrote:

Hard to say. There is this on Moog's site: " . . . Theremini will perform as a traditional theremin with analog heterodyning oscillator and absolutely no pitch assistance."

It is a great price and I'm going to be looking at this very seriously.
BadBadger
Henfield wrote:
Call me thick- headed, but does it do much good to just have a CV out to control pitch, but no gate to fire EGs or LFOs? Didn't EHX do the same thing with their 8 step sequencer that came out last year as well?

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer since the Etherwave Plus has CV outs for both pitch and volume, as well as gate out.

Then again, the Theremini seems more oriented to beginners and students. Maybe they'll eventually offer a Theremini Plus. thumbs up
minphase
Hate the looks, but the idea of assistive auto-tune done at the the input could make the theremin actually ... repeatably, consistently ... playable!
Vacancy Of Disco
BadBadger wrote:
de_raaf wrote:

Hard to say. There is this on Moog's site: " . . . Theremini will perform as a traditional theremin with analog heterodyning oscillator and absolutely no pitch assistance."

It is a great price and I'm going to be looking at this very seriously.

it's a wave table oscillator, all digital. but what they're saying is there will be no stepping or zippering when the quantizer is switched off. seems pretty neat I think.
c1t1zen
I hope it's made of Bakelite. It'll stand out on a stage for sure...All the girls will be asking their man what is that?

Gate sequencer or a simple gate-out pedal would solve that issue. When I think of Theremin sounds I don't think of gates. I'll probably get a Sub 37 before I think about this one though.

I like to touch my instruments and hear them scream. hihi
strudel macher
Henfield wrote:

"For live performance and gestural control, the rear panel features two line level audio outputs, a pitch CV output with selectable range, and a mini USB jack for MIDI I/O and connectivity."

Maybe it could be done with Doepfers USB to Cv module hmmm.....
digitalganesha
The sound generation is indeed digital - it's Animoog derived which is kind of awesome. I still wish that they included a regular analog oscillator in there with just the simple waveform knob in addition - even if it meant bumping the price up. But this is still very rad for the price. I'll grab one.

The autotune feature doesn't turn me on as it defeats playing a theremin musically, unless it can be exploited so that it does step the pitch profoundly to make interesting effects. The tuner is something that I always though should be built into the modern theremins as it sometimes help to have that visual reassurance of your pitch when playing with a loud band in a clud with shitty monitoring.
beyourdog
BadBadger wrote:
Henfield wrote:

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer since the Etherwave Plus has CV outs for both pitch and volume, as well as gate out.

Then again, the Theremini seems more oriented to beginners and students. Maybe they'll eventually offer a Theremini Plus. thumbs up

Just use an envelop follower/envelop detector, I mean that't the purpose of this kind of module...
BadBadger
beyourdog wrote:
BadBadger wrote:
Henfield wrote:

Just use an envelop follower/envelop detector, I mean that't the purpose of this kind of module...

Of course, and I will.

I dream of wires, too. Just not unnecessary ones. Mr. Green
digitalganesha
I was mistaken, the Theremin DOES seem to have a traditional analog oscillator along with the wavetables. Awesome!
Henfield
beyourdog wrote:

Brilliant! Like I said, I can be thick-skilled and slow to realize the possibilities at times! My Dotcom Q118 Instrument Interface is perfect for interfacing this with my modular!
Vacancy Of Disco
digitalganesha wrote:
I was mistaken, the Theremin DOES seem to have a traditional analog oscillator along with the wavetables. Awesome!

nope you're mistaken again, it's ALL digital. It's sporting the animoog synth engine ( which I'm guessing they are testing the waters to make a hardware version of animoog)
BadBadger
digitalganesha wrote:

You're right. Steve Dunnington of Moog says it is, in fact, an analog heterodyning oscillator controlling a digital synth engine derived from Animoog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqYnVcL5MHQ

That is nice!
Vacancy Of Disco
it's controlling the wave table but it's not a sound source though
darcmorcel
According to the description on moogmusic.com it is actually a sound source when the theremini is set with no pitch assistance.
It does make sense, doesn't it ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5