MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Theremini
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Moog Theremini
Audiohub
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! Moog has just released their free software editor for the Theremini for those with IPads here....

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/theremini-advanced-software/id92976303 9?mt=8

This gives you access to all the current "under the hood" features, a librarian with lots more free patches, and the ability to share your patches with other like-minded individuals.

A nice step forward from our friends at Moog! This is fun!
sloth713
Moog did just announce today that they will be coming out with windows and osx editors soon. It really looks like it will greatly open up the capabilities of the theremini. I am pretty excited about this because I have been itching to tweak my theremini for the last 4 or 5 months. Also I am excited because I had some concerns that Moog would only release the editor for apple products, which would have been a major bummer for PC users such as myself. Here are some low quality screen shots of the ios editor that i got off the apple website (I assume that the windows and osx editors will be essentially identical to the ios one).
legionhwp
Just tried out the Ipad Editor and it works like a charm. It allows easy access to the different waveforms as well as additional features like filters and such independently assignable to the two antenna.

Best of all it's VERY intuitive and works flawlessly making it easy to save presets in the theremini while you're working as well as drag and drop presets from the editor to theremini and vice versa for backup and sharing.

[/img]
Audiohub
Very cool indeed!
Has anyone out there been using their Theremini to control onboard IPad synths or other stuff through the external Midi or CV?
Tobor
can't wait for mine.
re-inventing the theremin: instant hit.
carlosnyb
Juvenile question, but I've been wanting to know for a while now -- can you put the animoog BASE Pack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm7mHTAGL9g) sounds into your theremini -- I was very impressed with Jordan Rudes' demo in the vid razz
sloth713
Actually the etherwave theremin is way better at making fart noises than theremini.

It is fun to set up an etherwave theremin by an entry way that way when people pass it the "electronic whoopee cushion" is activated when ever some one passes.
Slabwax
Has anyone tried using a usb midi host like the Kenton? Would that give you a workable midi out on din ?
Audiohub
The Kenton looks like it should work. The literature says that the instrument needs to be Midi Class Compliant, and since the Theremini doesn't have a special driver, it might be.
I'd contact Moog to make sure before investing in the Kenton.

I saw that someone else in the Moog forum suggested a used IPad, which might be an even better Midi solution with more versatility. I bought a couple of the cheap "Hockey Puck" USB Midi interfaces from Ebay ($3 w/shipping) which work great for this.

I'm thinking about tearing one of these cheap interfaces apart to see what's going on in there, and maybe building it into a sturdier box enclosure with chassis mounted connectors. I notice that when I use the MidiBridge app to connect it on my IPad, it reports it as having two Midi outputs. Maybe the chip inside supports a second (unused) Midi out? That would be useful.
Slabwax
I contacted Moog, They had not tested it. I do own a Kenton already,I use it for my Microbrute. It works great of that.
Audiohub
Any news on whether the Kenton actually works for the Theremini?
I'm curious.
I did tear apart one of the cheap EBay USB Midi interfaces, and the chip used can indeed support two Midi outputs with a very small amount of extra circuitry.
As you might expect, these are the most minimal implementation possible (no input optoisolator) but the circuit board actually has a spot for it, and it could be added for under a dollar. I see a project ahead....
sloth713
Yay! The PC and Mac Theremini editors have been released. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Time to start tweaking stuff Trampoline
JakoGreyshire
Bump! zombie

I've finally been bitten by the Theremin bug.... I guess it might be interesting how this came to be but, I'll spare everyone the details...

Anyway, I was looking at the options for a theremin and I like all the CV outs on the Etherwave Plus, but the Theremini might be better to start with... I like the built in tuner and the patch editor etc...

I was thinking that, like others have already said on the other threads around, that an envelope follower would work with it nicely to add CV volume control..

Then it hit me that I have a MI Ears, and the Theremini has stereo outs! One of the stereo outs could go to the MI Ears and I could get envelope and gate outs from that and process the sound through the modular.. In addition to that I would also have the pitch CV out on the Theremini.. Then there would be the other stereo out to put in the mixing desk and mix to my hearts content...

So, My question is about the stereo outs on the Theremini... What's the deal there? It's a monophonic synth so the outs are the same? Or is the built in delay a stereo delay?

Any other ideas or comments with what I'm thinking about? Good or bad..?

I don't see myself using the Midi much at all...

Maybe I should just get the Etherwave Plus and save my Ears for other things....??

hmmm.....

We need a Theremin emoji...
Audiohub
The stereo outputs on the Theremini are there for the built-in delay, which is a stereo ping-pong type.
The actual Theremini signal is mono.

Midi is the key to really getting control of the unit, as there are many parts of it that can be accessed in that fashion.
I control mine using two Digitech PMC 10 controllers, one on the floor as a standard foot controller, and one on a stand to my left as a "tabletop" controller so I can easily access the various buttons while playing. This allows me to immediately switch presets, scales, playing note ranges etc, as well as have foot control over things like the amount of stereo echo, and scale quantization (pedal down=fully quantized, pedal up=no quantizing, so you can dial in how much you want the scales to "stick", and when).

Other internal mods to the unit itself are currently being considered and planned wink
JakoGreyshire
Audiohub wrote:
The stereo outputs on the Theremini are there for the built-in delay, which is a stereo ping-pong type.
The actual Theremini signal is mono.

Midi is the key to really getting control of the unit, as there are many parts of it that can be accessed in that fashion.
I control mine using two Digitech PMC 10 controllers, one on the floor as a standard foot controller, and one on a stand to my left as a "tabletop" controller so I can easily access the various buttons while playing. This allows me to immediately switch presets, scales, playing note ranges etc, as well as have foot control over things like the amount of stereo echo, and scale quantization (pedal down=fully quantized, pedal up=no quantizing, so you can dial in how much you want the scales to "stick", and when).

Other internal mods to the unit itself are currently being considered and planned wink

Thanks for the clarification... What internal mods are you talking about?
Audiohub
The current plan is to add an additional independent stereo output that incorporates an additional VCLPF, and facilities for a voltage controlled output panner, multimode VCLFO, and VC EG subsystem, all controlled/programmed via Midi CCs.

I'll post an article about it in my blog once I get it going to my satisfaction wink
JakoGreyshire
^ eek! eek! Sounds cool...
Pugilistas
Is it possible to set up the control signals for the theremini in an inverted fashion? Opposite of the standard control. Playing with regular theremins, I found I wanted them to work backwards to their usual set up.

Also just wish the animoog engine in there was easily usable as a module.
Audiohub
Not with the current Theremini, although I have asked in the past to be able to do that.

In particular, I find that I'd like to have the volume antenna reversed, so that getting closer to it makes it louder, like pushing down a volume pedal. That makes more sense to me, and I should be able to make that happen with the new system, since there's a master volume CV input on the hardware I'm planning.
Pugilistas
Audiohub wrote:
Not with the current Theremini, although I have asked in the past to be able to do that.

In particular, I find that I'd like to have the volume antenna reversed, so that getting closer to it makes it louder, like pushing down a volume pedal. That makes more sense to me, and I should be able to make that happen with the new system, since there's a master volume CV input on the hardware I'm planning.

Yeah, that's what I'd like with the volume antenna as well. It seems like it should be easy to implement natively, but who knows.
sloth713
this is for the etherwave theremin but maybe it's section on "reversing the volume Antenna" helpful for moding a theremini http://www.suonoelettronico.com/downloads/HotRodEtherwav.pdf

I used to feel the same way you both did about the volume antenna but once I started play the theremin more, the more I felt it was more useful to have it get quieter as you get closer to especially for playing rests/muting (I think I said "more" a few too many times in that last sentence)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5