MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise/SoundHack Erbe-Verb
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Author Make Noise/SoundHack Erbe-Verb
tomerbe
the cloak of secrecy is off, so if anyone would like to ask questions about the Erbe-Verb - fire away.

A few things:

- i'm still working on the firmware, but should be done in 2-3 weeks
- no idea on pricing/ship date yet. (things have to be added up, and still a couple open questions).
- main inspirations? Michael Gerzon's articles in Studio Sound 71/72, Ursa-Major Space Station, Lexicon PCM70. Music of Gordon Mumma and Robert Ashley
- it's all new hardware
- the CV inputs are MIX, SIZE, PREDELAY, TILT, (modulation) DEPTH & SPEED, ABSORPTION and DECAY
- the gate/clock inputs are REVERSE and TEMPO
- one CV output - reverb level
- no presets, you can get everywhere by twisting knobs
- everything is intended to be modulated
- things can go beyond typical reverb - but there is a big middle range of lush, dark, deep, shimmery, etc., etc.
mha
How does it sound? seriously, i just don't get it
microfauna
With MIX set to DRY will it be dry (unlike Echophon)?
ignatius
mha wrote:

Quote:
- things can go beyond typical reverb - but there is a big middle range of lush, dark, deep, shimmery, etc., etc.

i'm sure we'll know more soon.
tomerbe
microfauna wrote:

this is the analog part of things, but i believe MIX now uses a dual VCA crossfade. it gets completely wet and completely dry.
microfauna
tomerbe wrote:
microfauna wrote:

this is the analog part of things, but i believe MIX now uses a dual VCA crossfade. it gets completely wet and completely dry.

thumbs up
square_wave
Can you tell us anything about the algorithm? I'm no expert but understand the basics of comb/allpass networks.

Also, is there any more you can say about this?
tomerbe wrote:
things can go beyond typical reverb

I'm definitely excited about this module, since Echophon is one of my all-time favorites. Thanks for the DSP goodness! beer!
craigie77
Hp?
tomerbe
mha wrote:

really varied.

i'm trying to get all the reverb sounds that i love... it does big and deep really well, however room size can also go down to closet size for dead room sounds. medium plates, etc.
gain/decay can go above 1.0, so it can self-oscillate for bowed cymbal (small) or ligeti lux aeterna (large) type sounds.

once you start modulating things there are more possibilities, like an LFO on TILT (high-low shelf) for vibraphone sounds, LFO on size for chorused or drunken reverb, etc

i've gotta say, it was really hard to demo at NAMM many of the subtle sounds with all the noise, but we did do some real nice jurassic park dinosaur footsteps with the pre delay at 3/4 sec, and tilt pushing the bass up 12 dB.

as far as demos: once i'm done with the firmware, MN will be working on videos.
crystal hell pool
This rules, i have been using soundhack since i started producing music, and the plugins. Was so epic when i finally got the echophon. Now this reverb is gonna be shredding. Looking forward to jurassic park stomps
VortexRanger
It's 20hp, and it does go completely dry. When wet, it can be totally soaked!
craigie77
Cool 20hp...!
ignatius
thanks for the info Tom!
climbingtyler
When can we expect some demos? Even just simple audio demos will do, but video would be nice...
tomerbe
square_wave wrote:
Can you tell us anything about the algorithm? I'm no expert but understand the basics of comb/allpass networks.

Also, is there any more you can say about this?
tomerbe wrote:
things can go beyond typical reverb

I'm definitely excited about this module, since Echophon is one of my all-time favorites. Thanks for the DSP goodness! beer!

thanks!

i don't want to reveal the algorithm yet - though i will probably write a paper on it this year or next.
oskies
question for tom; I found that the echophone was suffering from a fair amount of jitter (which got less when clocked, but was never absent). I guess reverb is less sensitive, but wonder if this one can also do cleanish reverb, and whether the dry signal us analog or goes ad-da
square_wave
tomerbe wrote:
i don't want to reveal the algorithm yet - though i will probably write a paper on it this year or next.

Cool, I'll look for that!
jc3music
Demos would be great! What is the output resolution? As digital becomes the norm with our analog euroracks, we need higher resolution A/D D/A's. Unless of course you want that ensonic mirage sound...
tomerbe
oskies wrote:
question for tom; I found that the echophone was suffering from a fair amount of jitter (which got less when clocked, but was never absent). I guess reverb is less sensitive, but wonder if this one can also do cleanish reverb, and whether the dry signal us analog or goes ad-da

the dry signal is analog

jitter is a problem on all modules that use microprocessors and DC coupled ADCs (DSPIC, ARM, SHARC). some solve it by quantizing, some by filtering, some by featuring aggressive sounds.

i'm still working on the problem, but it is much better already (i have a lot more CPU power, and a much quieter circuit board). the least sensitive are gain/filter related signals, the most sensitive are delay time signals.

and yes, reverb is less sensitive to jitter than delay is. however, without good clean hardware, you can't get dark reverberant sounds (the induced noise makes everything brighter).
tomerbe
jc3music wrote:
Demos would be great! What is the output resolution? As digital becomes the norm with our analog euroracks, we need higher resolution A/D D/A's. Unless of course you want that ensonic mirage sound...

24bits/48k

check my earlier post about demos
tomerbe
btw - we're pretty sure the LEDs will be red, green and orange.
nofuture
Hello Tom,

Can you tell a bit more about the AD / DA Converter ?
Does the final choice has been made?
Which quality range ?
tomerbe
i can't talk about specific chips... sorry. i can probably say that it's a chip that is well loved among audiophiles.
nofuture
Okay thanks. smile
ben_hex
Just chiming in for notifications of others questions/news/updates etc.

w00t w00t w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Page 1 of 21