MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer X-Touch control surface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Behringer X-Touch control surface
hpsounds
Behringer has displayed their X-Touch control surface at NAMM 2014 with Mackie Control and HUI protocols and X32 mixer serie remote control (especially for the rack one). They will also offer cheaper very too with less feature set.

That seems a refreshing offer for DAW control at (I hope) an affordable price.

w00t

- Universal DAW Remote Controller for Studio and Live applications
Supports HUI and Mackie Control protocols for seamless integration with every compatible music production software;
- 9 fully automated and touch-sensitive 100 mm motorized faders;
- 8 dynamic LCD Scribble Strips for instant overview of track names and parameters;
- Ethernet interface for RTP (Real-Time Protocol) MIDI and future BEHRINGER X32 remote control;
- 8 rotary controls with LED-collars for on-the-fly adjustments of your favorite parameters;
- 92 dedicated illuminated buttons for direct access of key functions
8-segment LED meters per channel for precise level control;
- Large jog/shuttle wheel and tape-style transport controls for intuitive operation;
- Built-in 2x2 USB/MIDI interface for direct connection to Mac or PC computers and one external MIDI device;
- 2 dedicated footswitch connectors and one foot controller input for external remote control;
- 2-port powered multi-TT USB hub for connecting additional controllers
"Planet Earth" switching power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~) and low power consumption for energy saving.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X-TOUCH.aspx
hpsounds
Here is an other video.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X-TOUCH-COMPACT.aspx
grillo
How much? It looks interesting, although not on my shortlist of things i need.
flts
The biggest one is 599$/599eur I think. This is the first Behringer product I'm actually considering buying.
taylor12k
yea, really nice, actually. fills a market gap for sure. might get me back into using a control surface since i sold off my mackies a few years ago.
h4ndcrafted
Anybody using this ? How’s has it planned out for you ?
seychmar
Is anybody using the X-touch with Digital Performer? I am thinking of buying one but have held back so far as I had read there were some problems, at least with the initial release.
Panason
I've got one coming in- Thomann has them back in stock at a lower price!

I didn't really want a Behringer controller- the rubber buttons and the big X-touch logo just scream "avoid". But there is just nothing else in the market for less than €1k except the Presonus, which seems focused on Studio One and also has rubber buttons and a bunch of negative user reports online.

I tried my luck with two second-hand original Mackie Controls and both suffered from the doomed P&G faders + frequent freezing. The new Mackie is just way too expensive for what it is - 20 year old tech. The Mackie Control protocol is desperately in need of an update for the 21st century.... it still only gives you 4-letter track names.. not this shit again

Will report back..

Someone should make a compact machine using hi-res LED touch strips instead of motorised faders, with a new hi-res communication protocol written specifically for each DAW....wtf is wrong with this industry, the inertia and lag is REAL!
h4ndcrafted
Actually touch strips would be superb , flat ones like on the DS stuff with easy to read led measures, or even just a value window at the top of each fader.

Didn’t Stanton have a fader board with touch strips ?
mckenic
I have been rethinking how my Eurorack recordings are taking place and after the latest price drop and reading GLOWING reviews been looking at the X-Air 18 rack thingy.

Would love to hear folks opinions on this control surface and particularly if you use/if it can be used with the X-Air 18.

Cheers folks - watching with much interest!

[Edit] I mean can it be used with the Behringer Ethernet thing on the X-Air as I have a BCR I was going to use but if this offers better/further integration with the X-Air I might go for it.
h4ndcrafted
Yeah I’ve considered that, the Midas branded version is only a little bit quieter.
The rest seems identical for less money, an XR18 and an X touch seem like a great setup.
You can have them both for around £500 .

Only about one video of both being used in Ableton , apparently the faders are a tiny bit laggy within Ableton compared to other daws for some reason.

£320 for 18 inputsis pretty cool, I wish it had an optical on it for my monitor system.
It’s not like the A&H units though, doesn’t have SD recording. The xR version is the only one with multi soundcard, so don’t get them mixed up.
mckenic
Thanks h4ndcrafted!

Yeah my thinking is I have a MST Out as my main modular out - thats L&R x2 but with 18 inputs (and basic EQ/Comp/fx per channel) I could open up a LOT more variety and bring things out that are mostly in the background of a stereo out. Added to that sometimes recording guitar and my Bass player, we could record a drum machine, backing fx and a synth or two all live... for under 400euro - seems legit!

Also a friend bought an x32 ages ago for his church and I helped him set-up so I kinda know the workflow and I can ask his opinion of the pres etc.

Good hint to on the x16, x12 etc I saw them and was immediately gonna buy until realizing they are just stereo USB as opposed to the full 18 tracks of the x18. As EEV Blog Dave would say "A trap for younger players!"
Rex Coil 7
h4ndcrafted wrote:
...Only about one video of both being used in Ableton , apparently the faders are a tiny bit laggy within Ableton compared to other daws for some reason.
The Akai APC40MkII works well with Ableton. At least it does for me. (Live 9.7.7 Suite).

cool
Sounds From The Shed
Panason wrote:
I've got one coming in- Thomann has them back in stock at a lower price!

I didn't really want a Behringer controller- the rubber buttons and the big X-touch logo just scream "avoid". But there is just nothing else in the market for less than €1k except the Presonus, which seems focused on Studio One and also has rubber buttons and a bunch of negative user reports online.

I tried my luck with two second-hand original Mackie Controls and both suffered from the doomed P&G faders + frequent freezing. The new Mackie is just way too expensive for what it is - 20 year old tech. The Mackie Control protocol is desperately in need of an update for the 21st century.... it still only gives you 4-letter track names.. not this shit again

Will report back..

Someone should make a compact machine using hi-res LED touch strips instead of motorised faders, with a new hi-res communication protocol written specifically for each DAW....wtf is wrong with this industry, the inertia and lag is REAL!

Trash!!!!!! Waste of money! Why buy this rubbish?
mckenic
Sounds From The Shed wrote:
Trash!!!!!! Waste of money! Why buy this rubbish?

Panason wrote:
But there is just nothing else in the market for less than €1k except the Presonus, which seems focused on Studio One and also has rubber buttons and a bunch of negative user reports online.

I tried my luck with two second-hand original Mackie Controls and both suffered from the doomed P&G faders + frequent freezing.
Sounds From The Shed
But thats taking Panasons word as the final say? no?

The fact is the guy as he openly admits smokes weed and talks shite as if it's gospel.

Just make music and relax!!!!!
tehyar
huh?

... anyway, I got one for the same reasons. Pre-ordered it way out, in fact. The market for motorized mixer surfaces like this is really slim and the price can't be beat. So far it works like a champ. But to be fair, fader jockeying isn't my day job, so it's fine if it's not a tank.
Panason
Sounds From The Shed wrote:
But thats taking Panasons word as the final say? no?

The fact is the guy as he openly admits smokes weed and talks shite as if it's gospel.

Just make music and relax!!!!!

Just putting another one on the Ignore list as I kick back and relax , it's GOSPEL!!!!!!!!!!

IR
Original Upsetter.
Diabolik!
I've got one. works great, have no fear.
Panason
Thomann delivered today...I just tried it out with Ableton.

Here's some comments- some of the limitations are probably due to the archaic Mackie Control protocol being what it is...

Having just spent some time with the OG Mackie Control, the XTouch is refreshingly more compact. It seems pretty well built, but the encoders don't inspire confidence.
It is also silent while many of the old MCs had a dodgy display that would cause a transformer on the power supply board to oscillate in the audible (high pitched) range.... not nice.

The faders are smooth and work well. They do have the usual issue with not responding to touch reliably ( you have to touch a fader to see the track levels on the machine's screens) but it's not a big deal.

One nice touch over the Mackie are the LED meters ( which are not exactly real-time )

The rubber buttons are as awful as I expected. Even the transport buttons (which are rigid plastic) have a mushy feel to them, not the satisfying click of the Mackie...

The jog wheel is also awful. If you are going to use this a lot you may want to look elsewhere! It also has a fairly bright white LED ring around it, because Behringer!

The displays are crisp, cheap and cheerful and have adjustable contrast.

You can edit plugins with the encoders as with the Mackie. By pressing the Plugin button you can see the names of the plugins for the selected track and clicking the relevant encoder takes you to the plugin parameters. Ableton's EQ-8 looks like this :

You can scroll to the next page of parameters by pressing the "Instrument" button but I couldn't find a way to move back to previous pages, so I had to exit the plugin view and re-enter it. Still, it is good for quick adjustments.

A lot of the button labels don't apply to Ableton.

here are most of them:

Click= loop start
Solo= loop end

Replace =Punch out
Drop=Punch In
Enter=Follow
Cancel=Set locator

Marker=Jump to previous locator
Nudge=jump to next locator

Touch=browser
Latch=show/hide info view
Write=toggle clip/device view
Read /Off=Arrangement / session view toggle

Undo=pencil

So, it does the job. It is not as nice to use as the Mackie, but the Mackie costs 3 times more. It does not have as large a footprint as the Mackie either, so will fit in smaller setups. The LED meters are handy, and it's a useful machine in general.
I can't help thinking that replacing the faders with LED touch strips (like those on Maschine Jam but higher res) would result in a much more compact and fail-proof device...

I can't see this machine being in full working order much longer past the 3 years of Behringer's guarantee but hey , it's cheap! - hasn't this always been the case with Behringer? seriously, i just don't get it [/img]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1