MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is the doepfer A 156 the only euro quanitizer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Is the doepfer A 156 the only euro quanitizer?
loudone
I was wondering if this is the only option in euro land?
dougcl
You can use a miniwave if you can find a euro converted one.

Between the two though, I would take the A-156 for that purpose. Trigger out, transpose, easy switches, and there's two.
dkcg
Analogue Systems also has one, but it's a bit more expensive than the doepfer. Never used it, Doepfer quantizer works well enough for me.

If you wanna get deep into quantizing, the ASys Scale Generator is a quantizer on roids, but also a huge and expensive module in comparison to the other quantizers.
DGTom
I would take the 156 over the Standard MW, but, MW w/ Scale Quantizer ROM; no way. I have all 3.... which is the only "proper" way to do it Mr. Green

The switches on the 156 are cool, but with the MW you can sequence that via the CV ins.

The Trigger I/O & transpose on the 156 make it really, really usefull. It really needs a dedicated attenuator / offset, but, I think the same can be said about all quantizers tbh.
loudone
youch the asys one is 299 for the simple voltage quantizer... confused
hmmm, i will have to look at the miniwave euro ....
i guess i will have to wait till the a156 comes back in stock.... sad banana
dkcg
loudone wrote:
youch the asys one is 299 for the simple voltage quantizer... confused
hmmm, i will have to look at the miniwave euro ....
i guess i will have to wait till the a156 comes back in stock.... sad banana

The miniwave Frac used to have a euro conversion kit (faceplate, power converter, and instructions) made by PlanB. I don't think there are any more available. This is the only euro miniwave I've seen for sale in a long time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blacet-Miniwave-Mini-Wave-Wavetable-OSC-Modular-Sy nth_W0QQitemZ300365481477QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item45 ef2d8605

The only problem with the miniwave is that it does such a great job of wavetable synthesis you may wish you had a second one, which is why I bought the A-156. But it's very cool having CV controlled scales.
REwire
dkcg wrote:
The miniwave Frac used to have a euro conversion kit (faceplate, power converter, and instructions) made by PlanB. I don't think there are any more available. This is the only euro miniwave I've seen for sale in a long time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blacet-Miniwave-Mini-Wave-Wavetable-OSC-Modular-Sy nth_W0QQitemZ300365481477QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item45 ef2d8605.

That was mine. I had one of PG's first faceplates. It's 12hp whereas the rest made after are 14hp. Know that it goes about 7 inches deep so watch your case if you get any one. I sold it to make way for the Piston Honda and/or Morphing Terrarium.

As for Quantizers, I sold my A156 when I heard about the Flame Tame Machine (the ultimate scale/quantizer) but in the meantime picked up a used Analogue Systems RS-260 Quantizer which does a simple job.

Dan
dkcg
The faceplate I got on my miniwave is 10HP. Maybe the last run had smaller faceplates. It won't fit in most places other than certain locations in the rack cases, and only certain locations in the second row of the lexington due to how deep it is. The deepness is the biggest pain in the ass about it. seriously, i just don't get it

Does the RS do anything fancy the Doepfer can't do? A switch built in for 3 octave ranges would be great since none of my oscillators have keyboard style range switches.
REwire
Maybe that Mini plate I had was 10hp, can't remember.

The RS-260 has not much exciting about it and none of the scales of the A-156. It does offset the CV and one real cool thing, doesn't need a trigger to make it change notes if you select the "free-run mode"
Electronic Battle
Any ideas when the Flame Tame machine will be available?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/analoguehaven/3640143463/

It looks to be about the best quantiser in Euro that has been/will ever be available.
Reptil
Gur from TipTop was talking about one in the Z8000 thread.
The Tame machine looks irresistable. This is fun!
MrDys
I have a priaprism for the Tame Machine like you wouldn't believe.
Reptil
ugh lol
wetterberg
MrDys wrote:
I have a priaprism for the Tame Machine like you wouldn't believe.
I believe it. Also, ew.
l e b e r
Electronic Battle wrote:
Any ideas when the Flame Tame machine will be available?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/analoguehaven/3640143463/

It looks to be about the best quantiser in Euro that has been/will ever be available.

Wow! Just stumbled across this unit here... the man behind Flame is a genius. Got the Clockwork, which is addictive to use... hard to put down.

got the doepfer quantizer myself, which does a good job.
Electronic Battle
I like the A-156 too (http://www.doepfer.de/a156.htm) but the idea of being able to pick which notes in the octave get used as quantising references is really something.

Presumably you're stuck with equal temperament, but that's no hardship for me. I wouldn't know what to do with "just intonation" vs. mixolydian etc. I do however note that there's a green LED marked "scale" so perhaps there's a way of playing some trick or other. hmmm.....

I want to know if the miniature keyboiard is comprised of dual or even tri-colour LEDs. It looks like they are red/green/clear - which might mean "do not quantise to red, do quantise to green and skip clear notes"

Enough speculation ! Must be patient ... thumbs up
Karl Jeffers
There's also the RS130 witch has programable scales.
mono-poly
I might wanna sale my scale programmer.
Veqtor
tip: wait for the tiptop quantizer, it's going to be ace!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1