MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ginko systems sampleslicer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 [all]
Author ginko systems sampleslicer
bc3
Posted over on the DIY forum as well but I just finished the build on the v2 and the audible "clicks" as it plays though the slices appear to be louder than they were when I had the v1 design.
Reckless_Experimenter
I just finished building the kit, and the clicking sound at the end of each step is apparent.
Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
I sampled a sine wave and was able to capture the glitch.

looks like the DAC is held at ground for a few milliseconds at the end of each step.
And the peaks on either side of the glitch, are not the same distance apart as the other sine waves. Could this be a memory addressing issue?
bc3
I had the clicks as well after i finished the build and was perplexed as I had the first version and did not experience this behavior.

I went back and re-seated all the IC's, ran the calibration procedure again and then the loud clicks were gone.
Reckless_Experimenter
I re-seated all the chips, and ran the calibration procedure about a half dozen times. I still get the clicks at the end of each step. Does the knob position have anything to do with it?
Here is how I have my knobs set:

[/img]
bc3
Sorry to hear that and it appears all the knobs are set correctly on your unit.

Maybe it is time to contact Ginko Synthese to help you troubleshoot further. hmmm.....
Reckless_Experimenter
So I asked Ginko Synthese , and got this as a response.

Quote:

Hi Reckless_Experimenter,

There is nothing wrong with your slicer, but keep in mind that the
sampleslicer makes 16 seperate samples from the incoming signal. If you
sample a sinewave and cut it into pieces it would be almost impossible to
put them back to one pure sine. This is because you can pitch the samples
and the smallest unhearable pitch shift would generate a phase shift in
the end of the sample to the next sample. In other words it is impossible
to avoid this in case of sinewaves. When you put in a more wild wavefrom
this clicking will be gone because you don't have to deal with phase
shifting. Remember this is a single voice monophonic sampler and it does
not layer the samples.

With best regards
Jan Willem

Now I know my module is working properly. Looks like the sample is stored as frequency/phase data and not a raw PCM stream. This is a neat way to make pitch shifting simple. Doing an FFT to store the sample, then an inverse FFT to regenerate the sample would cause slight phase variants do to the granular nature of shifting form the time domain to the frequency domain and back.

Not to knock Ginko Synthese, I do think this is a good module, as many others are finding it useful. I just don't think it will work for me. Anyone interesting in re-homing this module?
bc3
Thanks for posting his reply and I understand what he is saying and there will always be some "clicking" when playing back the sample. The problem I had with my build was that the clicking was WAY louder than it ever was compared to the first version of the SS I had.

I would be interested to hear a audio file of the clicking to compare against mine. If so, keep the gain control all the way down when recording so we can just hear silence recorded with the clicks. I can do the same on my end and we can compare?

Sorry you are still having trouble, bummer because it is really fun when it is working as it should.
Reckless_Experimenter
From my understanding form what Jan said, pure waveforms like a sine wave will never sample correctly. This is due to aliasing as part of the way the samples are stored.

I just tried it again but this time sampling some snare drum beats ( A much more complex waveform ). The clicks were barely audible, if at all.

Like I said, this module works great for a lot of people. It just might not be for me.
coolshirtdotjpg
I am really enamored with the sampleslicer. I'm curious to see what other people are doing with it. Here's a track that's way too long, but shows some of the possibilities: https://soundcloud.com/bestial-machinery/sample-slicer-minimalism
NS4W
Built my kickstarted mk2 yesterday - great update to a good module! I also got the adorable mic module, but mine is very very noisy. The noise is so present that it makes a loud drone in the background of the recording Dead Banana
How are your noise levels with it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmjiHQdgXgV/?taken-by=stivheks
Zymos
My mic is too noisy to be of any use. I wrote Jan and he said it's the fault of my power supply. Planning to try in a different case and see if that helps, though I don't notice noise in any other parts of my system. He mentioned something about maybe changing the design to separate it from the PSU.

Oh well, SS2 itself sounds great and is really fun.
roolbg
People who have made the DIY module, could you help me out. I can't seem to find anything in the instructions about D12.
Im guessing cap 34 is 10uF and goes in the bottom right.

Would be grateful if anyone knew:
Zymos
Hmmm, my instructions mention D12- anyway, it is one of the BAT ones just like those next to it.
C34 is indeed 10uF, again per the instructions. I'm pretty sure the location was marked on my PCB.
roolbg
Zymos wrote:
Hmmm, my instructions mention D12- anyway, it is one of the BAT ones just like those next to it.
C34 is indeed 10uF, again per the instructions. I'm pretty sure the location was marked on my PCB.

Thanks, I was just checking with someone else before I make too many assumptions
Zymos
Zymos wrote:
My mic is too noisy to be of any use. I wrote Jan and he said it's the fault of my power supply. Planning to try in a different case and see if that helps, though I don't notice noise in any other parts of my system. He mentioned something about maybe changing the design to separate it from the PSU.

So, moved the mic module to a MN Skiff, and it made a HUGE difference.
pricklyrobot
Finished my Sampleslicer MkII kit, think everything’s working, maybe?

But is there an actual user manual somewhere that explains the functions and what the Pitch Modes are?

The only thing I can find on the Ginkosynthese site is this:
https://www.ginkosynthese.com/uploads/firmware-2.2.pdf
Zymos
You'll need to look for the version 1 docs on the site for a description of the pitch modes.
NS4W
Zymos wrote:
Zymos wrote:

So, moved the mic module to a MN Skiff, and it made a HUGE difference.

I recieved a replacement version with the updated PCBs and now it works great!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 [all]
Page 11 of 11