MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ginko systems sampleslicer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author ginko systems sampleslicer
taylor12k
http://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/sampleslicer/

mapmap pointed this out to me yesterday and surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet.... looks extremely welcome in so many ways.

looks like 16 clock-accessible slices maybe?

and classy looking like ginko always is.

(yet no pitch control!?)

can't wait..
cloudscapes
Pitch control can probably be done with the clock CV, assuming it works how I think it works.
taylor12k
how's that? i figured the clock in would step through slices? but you may know more about what's under the hood ..

cloudscapes wrote:
Pitch control can probably be done with the clock CV, assuming it works how I think it works.
Matos
Nice find. This slipped unDER the radar. I'd love to hear more about this if anyone has details.
jc3music
It looks like fun. Demos would be great as well.
Cadence
This looks very promising. There seems to be a hole in the Euro market that this could fill nicely.
cloudscapes
taylor12k wrote:
how's that? i figured the clock in would step through slices? but you may know more about what's under the hood ..

cloudscapes wrote:
Pitch control can probably be done with the clock CV, assuming it works how I think it works.


I don't know anything about this module. It's just an educated hunch based on having built several samplers/loopers myself, using different architectures. A clock usually drives the sampling which in turn would change the pitch of the sample (as well as the playback speed).
twincities
ohh please don't let the pitch and stretch be combined. that's the bane of my sampling existence. hell, i'd take no pitch control at all if it lets me control the rate of play via CV while staying in key with everything.

this does look incredibly cool though. glad to see another more featured looper that isn't SD card based and can work in real time!
cloudscapes
twincities wrote:
ohh please don't let the pitch and stretch be combined. that's the bane of my sampling existence. hell, i'd take no pitch control at all if it lets me control the rate of play via CV while staying in key with everything.

this does look incredibly cool though. glad to see another more featured looper that isn't SD card based and can work in real time!


I agree seperate would be ideal.

Unfortunately in the DIY world, it's 100 times easier to have length/pitch affect oneanother rather than having them separately. It's a whole other DSP ballpark.
twincities
cloudscapes wrote:
twincities wrote:
ohh please don't let the pitch and stretch be combined. that's the bane of my sampling existence. hell, i'd take no pitch control at all if it lets me control the rate of play via CV while staying in key with everything.

this does look incredibly cool though. glad to see another more featured looper that isn't SD card based and can work in real time!


I agree seperate would be ideal.

Unfortunately in the DIY world, it's 100 times easier to have length/pitch affect oneanother rather than having them separately. It's a whole other DSP ballpark.


sad but true. i'm still waiting for someone to make a nice digital looper that allows time expansion with no pitch change. something really drastic/granular would be awesome. 1% rate playback, 10 minute long sustained piano notes, etc.

looks like ginko may have had a look at your crushed glass wink
Paranormal Patroler
twincities wrote:
sad but true. i'm still waiting for someone to make a nice digital looper that allows time expansion with no pitch change. something really drastic/granular would be awesome. 1% rate playback, 10 minute long sustained piano notes, etc.

looks like ginko may have had a look at your crushed glass wink


Several options that do this in the Eurorack realm hmmm..... g0 comes to mind, TymeSefari mkII ..
evs
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
twincities wrote:
sad but true. i'm still waiting for someone to make a nice digital looper that allows time expansion with no pitch change. something really drastic/granular would be awesome. 1% rate playback, 10 minute long sustained piano notes, etc.

looks like ginko may have had a look at your crushed glass wink


Several options that do this in the Eurorack realm hmmm..... g0 comes to mind, TymeSefari mkII ..


the tyme sefari? you mean when having a small loop and go through the sample slow? that would be the timestretching you mean, right?
i never had a great success with that.. any tricks i should know there?
twincities
The G0 definitely gets there, but at nearly $800 I'll be sticking with computer methods for a while.

Tha Tyme Safari on the other hand I had no clue could do that! You can really slow the play rate by large amounts without effecting the pitch at all? And apply all of the start/end point Tyme safari modulation a to it as well? If that's the case I'll be getting one this week!! w00t
Paranormal Patroler
evs wrote:
the tyme sefari? you mean when having a small loop and go through the sample slow? that would be the timestretching you mean, right?
i never had a great success with that.. any tricks i should know there?


twincities wrote:
The G0 definitely gets there, but at nearly $800 I'll be sticking with computer methods for a while.

Tha Tyme Safari on the other hand I had no clue could do that! You can really slow the play rate by large amounts without effecting the pitch at all? And apply all of the start/end point Tyme safari modulation a to it as well? If that's the case I'll be getting one this week!! w00t




Just plug a nice 50/50 duty square wave audio on the direction CV input. Change duty cycle of the square wave, change its frequency ...

You can thank me later hihi
twincities
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
evs wrote:
the tyme sefari? you mean when having a small loop and go through the sample slow? that would be the timestretching you mean, right?
i never had a great success with that.. any tricks i should know there?


twincities wrote:
The G0 definitely gets there, but at nearly $800 I'll be sticking with computer methods for a while.

Tha Tyme Safari on the other hand I had no clue could do that! You can really slow the play rate by large amounts without effecting the pitch at all? And apply all of the start/end point Tyme safari modulation a to it as well? If that's the case I'll be getting one this week!! w00t




Just plug a nice 50/50 duty square wave audio on the direction CV input. Change duty cycle of the square wave, change its frequency ...

You can thank me later hihi


Does that produce smooth sound? Or is it as clicky and warped as it seems like it could be? I'm going to try and hunt some videos down later!
Paranormal Patroler
It is Harvestman. But apart from that I would easily call it lush. You're in audio range man, it goes back and forth so fast you don't get clicks! I would call it a pseudo-granular time stretch and I admittedly have not used the g0 (expensive anyone?).
twincities
Just remembered this is a thread for another module, so I won't dig into it here, but I think I'll be looking more seriously into a Tyme safari tonight. Thanks!
Paranormal Patroler
This is a forum for modular discussion, we're not trespassing here. I already own the TSmkII and I'm really really really interested to check the sampleslicer when it becomes available.

You should also keep your eyes open for cloudscapes upcoming pedal.
twincities
Yes! All three of those things are on my radar. I'm a bit of a loop junky so anytime I find one that can do something a bit different I'm interested!

The ginko slicer looks like it could have a lot if potential. Loop start and end point controls are one of my favorite things about the looper on the eventide timefactor. Such a nice tool for creating textures and glitches. It'll be nice to get that into my modular!
taylor12k
the new nebulae has separate speed and pitch knobs.. and halfway decent fidelity at that.

personally I prefer when pitch changes also affect speed.. old school sampler style... but that technique is a big part of my production process so I tend to seek it out.


twincities wrote:
cloudscapes wrote:
twincities wrote:
ohh please don't let the pitch and stretch be combined. that's the bane of my sampling existence. hell, i'd take no pitch control at all if it lets me control the rate of play via CV while staying in key with everything.

this does look incredibly cool though. glad to see another more featured looper that isn't SD card based and can work in real time!


I agree seperate would be ideal.

Unfortunately in the DIY world, it's 100 times easier to have length/pitch affect oneanother rather than having them separately. It's a whole other DSP ballpark.


sad but true. i'm still waiting for someone to make a nice digital looper that allows time expansion with no pitch change. something really drastic/granular would be awesome. 1% rate playback, 10 minute long sustained piano notes, etc.

looks like ginko may have had a look at your crushed glass wink
Paranormal Patroler
taylor12k wrote:
.. and halfway decent fidelity at that.


That was an accurate assessment! lol

Did they go 44.11 or not?
evs
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
evs wrote:
the tyme sefari? you mean when having a small loop and go through the sample slow? that would be the timestretching you mean, right?
i never had a great success with that.. any tricks i should know there?


Just plug a nice 50/50 duty square wave audio on the direction CV input. Change duty cycle of the square wave, change its frequency ...

You can thank me later hihi



change the duty cycle.. theres a lack in my english language knowledge.. you mean PWM?

i just have the richter osc and anti osc... no PWM there.. (although i could fake one with a maths, right?) or do you see another way? maybe modulate the phase on the richter, should have the same effect on the square for this case, no?

so, you put the square into both direction in, for sample start and sample end.
attenuator fully open.
what i don´t understand is, doesn't a square has a range (at least over 5v) so that the sample would play at the beginning and at the end at once? would be a nice drone, but how do you scrub through the sample this way?
i´m pretty sure i´m just not getting something here..

i will try it out when i´m at home tonight, but maybe you have some more advice we're not worthy
twincities
taylor12k wrote:
the new nebulae has separate speed and pitch knobs.. and halfway decent fidelity at that.

personally I prefer when pitch changes also affect speed.. old school sampler style... but that technique is a big part of my production process so I tend to seek it out.



i definitely find use for the more classic tape style like that sometimes. i'm just so accustomed to them nearly always coming together it's nice to have separate options for harmonic/melody based things i try to fit into pieces.

the nebulae would be absolutely perfect if it had even the most basic ability to record a short loop from an audio input. i may check it out anyway if i start performing with the modular ever, but it's such a change to my writing workflow i'm not sure how much i'd get done with it sadly.
Paranormal Patroler
evs wrote:
change the duty cycle.. theres a lack in my english language knowledge.. you mean PWM?

i just have the richter osc and anti osc... no PWM there.. (although i could fake one with a maths, right?) or do you see another way? maybe modulate the phase on the richter, should have the same effect on the square for this case, no?

so, you put the square into both direction in, for sample start and sample end.
attenuator fully open.
what i don´t understand is, doesn't a square has a range (at least over 5v) so that the sample would play at the beginning and at the end at once? would be a nice drone, but how do you scrub through the sample this way?
i´m pretty sure i´m just not getting something here..

i will try it out when i´m at home tonight, but maybe you have some more advice we're not worthy



You plug the audio square in the Direction input (labeled D) and you change its pulse width. Change the PW changes the range of the surface of playback so you actually scrub through the sample. It takes a little bit of experimentation but you'll find it out!
evs
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

You plug the audio square in the Direction input (labeled D) and you change its pulse width. Change the PW changes the range of the surface of playback so you actually scrub through the sample. It takes a little bit of experimentation but you'll find it out!


wow, in the direction input? i never thought of this.. (just thought this was for reverse sound only)
to be honest, i still don´t get it very frustrating , but never mind, i will try it later. can´t wait! Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group