MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A-132-3 vs. A-131 with new chip
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A-132-3 vs. A-131 with new chip
Terby
So I realize it's a stretch to think many would have direct experience with this, but what the heck:

I have an A-131 with a chip upgrade (to an LME49740), & it sounds significantly better than it's old self. Though I have extra chips & could score another 131 cheap, an a132-3 is more appealing because of the space-saving potential and dual functionality.
I know the 132-3s sound better than stock A-131s, but am I going to notice a downgrade in sound quality from my upgraded 131?

Um, so yeah.
Chuck E. Jesus
how involved was it to swap out the chip? i'd like to get a 132-3 at some point, but i'd keep the 131 either way...
Terby
effortless. yoink the old one out, push the new one in. easy peasy.
Chuck E. Jesus
cool...i'd like to do the same for my A-119, where do you get the chips?

also: i assume the A-131 you are referring to is the exp version, is there any reason to upgrade a linear (cv) version?
modularplanner
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
cool...i'd like to do the same for my A-119, where do you get the chips?

I think these are the ones, someone please check, I've not done the swap myself yet.

Farnell UK
or
Digikey
Chuck E. Jesus
confusion: the LME49740 and TLO74 are both 14 pin chips and will replace the TLO64 in the A-119 (according to another thread)...but there are two 8 pin TLO62 chips in my A-131, so what's the upgrade chip for that?
wetterberg
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
confusion: the LME49740 and TLO74 are both 14 pin chips and will replace the TLO64 in the A-119 (according to another thread)...but there are two 8 pin TLO62 chips in my A-131, so what's the upgrade chip for that?
hmm. perhaps yours is v1? It should say so on the board - mine is v2 and has an LM324n (14 pins)
Chuck E. Jesus
wetterberg wrote:
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
hmm. perhaps yours is v1? It should say so on the board - mine is v2 and has an LM324n (14 pins)

yeah, it's old...it says "A-130/1"...
daverj
I believe the LME49720 is the dual version (8 pin)
Chuck E. Jesus
daverj wrote:
I believe the LME49720 is the dual version (8 pin)

i think i'm going to ask at the Doepfer list...i'm going to have to order the chips as they aren't available local, so i want to be sure... but i will look up the numbers and compare the data sheets, it's educationing me Cheesy!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1