MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frequensteiner / Evil Twin filters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Frequensteiner / Evil Twin filters
Cybananna
I had plans that my last filter would be the frequensteiner. I just got it and I really like it. it's different and very useable. I really like the bandpass mode, which got me thinking about the Plan B Evil Twin.

Anyone have both? does the evil twin offer that much different than the frequensteiner to justify getting the evil twin.

is the sound similar or greatly different? I know they will sound different. I'm just wondering if it's a case of "if you like the frequenstener, then you'll LOVE the evil twin!" or are they similar, totally different?

unfortunately all I can do is listen to a few web samples...
sgnhh
The impression I get is that the Evil Twin is a specialty filter while the Frequensteiner is fairly all purpose. I guess if you want something aggressive, pick up the Evil Twin, otherwise I'd pass on it.

Personally I wasn't too impressed with the Frequensteiner when I owned it and will probably be getting the Evil Twin as it I'm sure it sounds hella nasty (in a good way) as a sound source.
felix
Based on the sound samples, totally different.
Based on the design approach, pretty much totally different.

Unfortunately I only have the frequensteiner, so I can't speak for the M11. I plan to get one though...eventually. I'm not one of those "need lots of filters" guys. hihi

The Evil Twin sounds much more over the top than the Frequensteiner does; much more aggressive. Also, based on the sound samples I've heard it responds much more drastically to higher rate frequency modulation (probably via the dedicated FM input).

My best guess is if you like the BP mode on the frequnesteiner but want it to sound dirtier and "meaner", then the M11 is probably for you.
Cybananna
It's hard to tell from the web samples. i've had things where I hated the web samples but loved the instrument. It depends on how you use it.

It sounds like the BP mode on the frequensteiner has little overlap with the Evil Twin though.

I'm using a filter with my modular much less than I expected. Not sure if I need another but I am curious about it now.
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
It's hard to tell from the web samples. i've had things where I hated the web samples but loved the instrument. It depends on how you use it.

It sounds like the BP mode on the frequensteiner has little overlap with the Evil Twin though.

I'm using a filter with my modular much less than I expected. Not sure if I need another but I am curious about it now.

do you ever use your filter as sine VCO's?? there's one helluva reason to get a ton of filters. i hate the fact that i only have the filthy and the dual. well and the stonz and the VCS if you wanna get technical.
Cybananna
yea, I use my moogerfooger and Blacet Dual filter that way all the time. I thought about the filthy too, because I like the dual so much. I wish the dual had CV. I love how the two filters work together. I wonder if two filthy could be used that way.
Kwote
Cybananna wrote:
yea, I use my moogerfooger and Blacet Dual filter that way all the time. I thought about the filthy too, because I like the dual so much. I wish the dual had CV. I love how the two filters work together. I wonder if two filthy could be used that way.

no. they can't because of the normaling. that's what gives the dual it's power.

if you're interested in filters with that normaling magic i highly suggest the wiard 300 boogie hp lp. that thing strikes gold like no other filter i've heard.

it's the extra motivation i need to get into the 300 series.
Kwote
taken from wiard.com

"Boogie Filters Module (one 1212 Boogie LP and one 1212 Boogie HP mounted over and under on engraved 10.5" x 2.83" compatible plate)(10 ms. Vactrols)"

consumed
i do like the frequensteiner bandpass and think that it does have an aggressive sound already. i find that true for every filter mode on the frequensteiner. i am very curious about the evil twin, but this curiosity gets me into money trouble...better to stamp out the curiosity and just be happy with what ive got.

addendum--remember that for most filters, resonance and frequency response change depending on the input level! you can often get aggressive sounds out of otherwise tame filters if you put a preamped signal into it...this is one of the best reasons to have a preamp! dont discount a filter until you've tried this technique.
Cybananna
consumed wrote:
i do like the frequensteiner bandpass and think that it does have an aggressive sound already. i find that true for every filter mode on the frequensteiner. i am very curious about the evil twin, but this curiosity gets me into money trouble...better to stamp out the curiosity and just be happy with what ive got.

addendum--remember that for most filters, resonance and frequency response change depending on the input level! you can often get aggressive sounds out of otherwise tame filters if you put a preamped signal into it...this is one of the best reasons to have a preamp! dont discount a filter until you've tried this technique.

yep, my thoughts exactly. The frequensteiner isn't always so distorted, but aggressive. that's what I like. yes, overdriving a filter is a wonderful thing. can be cleanish but aggressive or mass destruction depending on the input and filter!

I'm trying to stamp out my curiosity of the plan B.... help
felix
consumed wrote:
dont discount a filter until you've tried this technique.
Must try this technique! Dalek
REwire
I have both the M11 and Frequensteiner and see little crossover with them. The BP on the Frequensteiner is nowhere near what a Synthacon sounds and I find it pretty generic. The M11 actually is a million times more aggressive as a BP filter but not really useful as a general filter. My demo on the Plan-B site is a good range of it's sounds and processing sound.

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Demos/REwire_-_My_Evil_Twin.mp3

Dan
http://www.rewiremusic.com
thetwlo
i have a quick OLD demo of the m11 here:
http://www.virb.com/cills/music/albums/19786
just messing around with 'em right after I got, last october or so...
After spending more time with, they have a lot more depth and potential but very different from other filters to tame--mostly due to all the CV options etc..(and trying to use 2 at once as in the demo can get frustrating at times)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1