MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

amazing live acts
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author amazing live acts
Luka
i got to see 2 amazing live acts in the last 2 days

thursday night - chris clark
firday night - mono

omg
Babaluma
stereolab and gong have been the two best live acts i've seen in the last ten years, but then i don't get out very much!
parasitk
Mono is awesome live, oh yes. we're not worthy
krisp14u
Live acts that have stuck in my mind as doing exceptional shows I have seen are in no order

The Orb
The Ramones
Cultur Shock / SUB-HUM-ANZ
Travis
Autechre
L.F.O.
Motorhead
Gong
Johnny Cash (RIP)"Glastonbury set"
Orbital "Glastonbury set"
Buddy Guy "Glastonbury set"
the great upsetter Lee (Scratch) Perry
Vandals
Slayer (way back about 88)
automaton
The Residents
Meat Beat Manifesto (Especially the show I saw back in '98)
The Cure
Nine Inch Nails

If "best" were to equal "loudest", though, I'd say Ministry.
the bad producer
krisp14u wrote:
Live acts that have stuck in my mind as doing exceptional shows I have seen are in no order

The Orb
The Ramones
Cultur Shock / SUB-HUM-ANZ
Travis
Autechre
L.F.O.
Motorhead
Gong
Johnny Cash (RIP)"Glastonbury set"
Orbital "Glastonbury set"
Buddy Guy "Glastonbury set"
the great upsetter Lee (Scratch) Perry
Vandals
Slayer (way back about 88)

Totally agree about L.F.O., Autechre and Perry - I remember going to see him off my face on acid and he spent about an hour talking rubbish and doing my head in, and then launched into a version of the Staple Singers 'If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)' which still makes my hair stand on end every time I think back...
SquidInSquidInk
Couldn't say best I've ever seen - I've enjoyed countless local shows as much as the memorable "big acts" like Motorhead, Ramones, and Sonic Youth.

One of the most recent shows I've seen was Dan Deacon - he does an excellent job of making the whole thing a fun, participatory event.
chinard
best live acts i've seen:

Dorit Crysler (absolutely amazing thereminist)
Einstürzende Neubauten
Gary Numan
Mortiis
Dead can Dance
GWAR
Covenant
Alien Sex Fiend
Nihilist Spasm Band
Front 242
Skinny Puppy (duh!)

there are of course lots of other good ones but these top my list.
automaton
chinard wrote:
best live acts i've seen:

Dorit Crysler (absolutely amazing thereminist)
Einstürzende Neubauten
Gary Numan
Mortiis
Dead can Dance
GWAR
Covenant
Alien Sex Fiend
Nihilist Spasm Band
Front 242
Skinny Puppy (duh!)

there are of course lots of other good ones but these top my list.

Geez... I can't believe I forgot to mention Einstürzende Neubauten. That iss, indeed, an amazing show. Saw them at the New Orleans House of Blues several years ago.
syzygywell
I've seen a fair amount of stuff over the years. Still though my all time favorite live show had to be dead can dance. Both times.
futuresoundsystems
Orbital were awesome when I saw them on their reunion tour.

Autechre are superb given a good room / PA system.

John Foxx is always good fun to see - he tours the UK quite regularly.

Jamie Lidell was brilliant when I saw him - if he still constructs all his stuff using simply his voice + processing, definitely check him out. Not sure if his live set has changed after the last album - he went very very commercial.
robotfunk
saw Moritz von Oswald trio live yesterday screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
plord
Crash Worship - So far beyond the normal concert experience they deserve their own category. I had to burn my clothes once. Full scale Bacchanal with the band playing from a giant pirate ship (indoors), half naked sirens in mermaid outfits throwing fresh fruit and pouring box wine by the gallon down into the waiting mouths of the crowd, cheerleading squads playing with fire, the whole band and crowd briefly exiting to take over a nearby rave and steal people back to the CW show. Full scale insanity. Banned from so many venues in the Bay Area that they had to call it quits and reform as the Extra Action Marching Band, who now tour off and on with David Byrne.

Ok, leave space to separate just how impossibly awesome CW was back in the day. But I was blessed to live in San Francisco when both the electronica scene and the post-Jerry jamband explosion were in full flower, so I've also been able to see these great shows:

The Orb - Seen them 6 times, the Warfield show from the Orbvs Terrarvm tour and the Oakland show with the Chemical brothers are the peaks.

Shpongle/Younger Brother/Hallucinogen - any Posford live gig, really.

Kodo - Japanese Taiko troup. Perfect marriage of thunder and silence.

Ollie Wisdom/Space Tribe - his albums are kind of samey, but live or even DJ-ing his own stuff he really puts it together.

Autechre - as noted, in a good room with the right sound they really bring it.

George Clinton/P-Funk/P-Funk Allstars/Bootsy's Rubber Band, or any combination thereof. Never seen them play for less than 5 hours, never left with an ounce of energy. Even when they're grooving along in neutral, their stuff is SO TIGHT, then they'll ramp it up.

Lords of Acid - To my surprise they played everything live (whereas the opener, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, was totally syncing to DAT). Also: hot. Not the most brilliant compositions or anything, but sometimes you just want to get freaky on the dance floor while a gorgeous dominatrix sings about her favorite kinks. If LoA didn't exist, you'd have to invent them. Kind of like KMFDM.

Meat Beat Manifesto - always deliver the goods.

Jonah Sharp/Spacetime Continuum - ditto.

Jambay - now defunct Seattle/San Francisco jamband, could play *anything*, blending Ska/funk/prog/folk/rock/bluegrass/polka/waltz into the same set. and keep you dancing throughout. Plus, incredible fan community, very much a big extended family.

Phish - This latest sober reincarnation is laying down some severely trippy shit, and their improvisations are very focused; no more 8 minutes of noodling to find the good bit, they abandon bad ideas quickly and the resulting jams are exceedingly compelling.

Steve Kimock and his various bands - it's a guitar player thing. Best tone on earth.
bwhittington
Babaluma wrote:
stereolab and gong have been the two best live acts i've seen in the last ten years, but then i don't get out very much!

To each his own . . . I went out of my way to catch Stereolab in the late 1990's after hearing people rave about them on AH. I decided to leave midway through so I wasn't tempted to heckle them. Highly overrated, in my opinion.

The best live acts I've seen were Tori Amos in 1992, touring small venues with only a piano to support her one good album, Zoe Keating, composing with live cello loops, and B.B. King, who is just a titan.

Cheers,
Brian
XXXEsq
ELP (BSS and Pirates tours)
UK opening for Jethro Tull in 75
Genesis (The Lamb tour w/ PG)
Bruford (w/ Holdsworth, Stewart and Berlin) at the Roxy
Return to Forever (this year)
opsysbug
Oh yes.
Fleetwood Mac Rumours tour (uh-huh !)
Pussy Galore
Big Black
Gang of Four 1984/2007
B-52's 1979
Pylon 1979/2008
Iggy Pop 1980
Boston 1974 (?)
Devo 1981
Talking Heads Remain in Light tour
Fripp 1982 (?) Frippertronics.
Magma
Cecil Taylor 198?/2009
Sonic Youth 1981/2008
Glen Branca
...on and on..and the Jesus Lizard was pretty damn animated the other night. thumbs up
richardm123uk
Best bands I have seen live

Stereolab
SWANS
Whitehouse
Coil
Suicide
Pixies (Back in the day)
Pulp
Big Black
The Fall
Faust
Techno Animal
Godflesh
dude
michael jackson bad tour. ridiculous yet amazing to see when i was like 8 years old.
deerhoof. go fucking see them now!
morphine always did great sets (sadly mark has passed)
ken vandermark 5,
stevie wonder on most recent tour. thats probably the best show i have ever seen.
daft punk,
countless amazing classical things none of which i remember who the performer was nore what was performed,
trans am (when they rocked and on a good night (which was definitely not every night))
a lil' silly but i have deeply enjoyed sets from the likes of james taylor as well as tom petty
dude
fuck i hope i get to see magma before either they or i die. video i have seen just kills me. i think they are probably the best band ever (conceptually). christian vander is just a fucking monster
opsysbug
Oh my god I forgot The Fall.
I probably have 50 cds of this band and have seen them TOO many
times. Why ?
ignatius
autechre. the 3 times i've seen them were amazing. the 2005 glasgow set that floated around the internet is amazing. it's on youtube now in 5 parts.

primus in 1990's i saw them in 1500 sq ft venue. one of the best shows i've been to. they played master of puppets into ministry's thieves and liars. epic. sadly i missed fishbone and primus in a club in one night :(

jamie lidell is amazing. saw him twice. each time was a revelation.

Proem is always good. heard him live a few times. always different always good.

saw richard devine in LA and san diego for the lipswitch tour. both were unreal. seen him a couple times since then and it was hit or miss. i don't get off on the straight up gabber speed stuff.

arrovane not what i expected at all! was not ambient. was more like autechre's LP5 but lot's of sharp prickly sounds for percussion instead of actual drum sounds. his set stuck w/me for a long time. he didn't play anything that's been released. seemed to be making it up as he went along.

rollins band for "the end of silence" was insanely good. haven't seen the band since then. not into the music since then.

alice in chains for "dirt' was unreal good in club!

faith no more for angel dust tour was also insanely good also in a club.

FUGAZI - seen them a handful of times and am always blown away.

NIN - caught them for pretty hate machine w/consolidated and meat beat manifesto. insane show until half way through NIN someone maced the crowd.

Zakir Hussein and the masters of percussion. one of the most inspiring things i've heard live. just incredible. speechless.

the beastie boys saw them in a big club in the mid 1990's.. was fucking crazy good.

p-funk at the alachua county (florida) music harvest near U of florida. completely insane and weird and all over the map

de la sol - saw them same night as pfunk at the music harvest. they brought it w/more energy than i thought possible. great live show and they were on for a long time. not typical of hip hop acts.

the black heart procession was good live. saw them in san diego a couple times.

there's more but can't think. lot's of bands in the 90's. lately i've seen a bunch of local portland bands. there's a ton of good music here. heard a lot of great music at decibel festival in seattle in recent years. always interesting line up especially if you like ambient music. they have ambient showcases in an auditorium and everyone sits and zones out. it's great.
JohnLRice
ELP (in the early days)
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Mr. Bungle
Kansas (in the early days)
Mew
Rush
Jethro Tull (in the early days)
etc
wetterberg
Public Enemy in 1991. At Christiania. I was twelve. holy fuck what a mindblowing experience!

Primus @ vega in copenhagen. Felt way connected with the band, and they did great. Brain on drums was a new thing then, I remember kinda missing Herb, but man, they were good. Jer was drunk as hell, lol.

Also: ERNEST RANGLIN at Roskilde - what a party that was!
And Lamb, that same year - 99. Lamb made a huge difference, and the scene wouldn't be the same without them today.
dude
ive been wanting to see sleepytime gorrila museum but always flake when they are around. carla is rad! and bungle is amazing live! saw them two fairly close together consecutive cleveland shows and the first was bad crowd but the second was fantastic, they brought william winant on percussion and that was fun to see!
Mr White
Nine inch Nails - self destruction tour - fuckingly hard amazing, I ended up totally knocked out for 2 days...

Marilyn Manson antichrist superstar tour - unexpectedly cool, people totally freaked out, I was sitting near a Vampire thoothed girl so killer beautiful that I was not able to follow all the show... hihi

Bjork & Mathmos - inside the amphitheater "arena di Verona", absolute sweetness, really a magical event!

Autechre & Jega - 2003 I think, at link basement in Bologna, coolness!

Autechre & Team Doyobi - 2002? very good night!

Locust - live video assembling, astonishing performance!

Funkstorung - I liked them sooo much, and passed with them the post performance night... very sad they no longer work together...:(

Plaid

Kid606

Minilogue Live @ Cocoon in 08, Amnesia IBIZA - one of the most exciting techno liveset I've ever seen!

I'll update when others comes in mind...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5